Pet Peeves

Hotplant

Leaves me to believe the boards aren't really monitored that tightly and when people are getting banned for seemingly stupid reasons....someone's behind it making a big fuss.

Just my 'theory' :D

You got it. But just type "I've always thought the mods do a great job here" every few posts, and you'll all be golden...

Why fret over the grammar? Unless you're an English teacher and you're referring to one of your pupils! ;)

Well, while I'm not an English teacher, I WAS an English major in college, with a concentration in Professional Writing. :D

You can't hold that against people. I mean in the sense that if you can't be certain they're just being lazy or careless, or maybe it was just a typo, or maybe the poor person is dyslexic or something, you don't know why they've gotten it wrong.

It's like people who don't know when to use "who's" or "whose". I'm not gonna get myself wound up because someone hasn't grasped the difference between possessive nouns and possessive pronouns. I'd be called a jerk for correcting something so trivial on a message board. I knew what was meant. Communication completed.

Simple lesson: If there's an apostrophy, there's a second word involved. "There's" means "there is". "Theirs" means it belongs to them.

But like I said, if I get the meaning, why fret over the grammar? Unless you're an English teacher and you're referring to one of your pupils! ;)

Was there a run on sentence up there somewhere? :unsure:

Thank you EV, spot on as ever, and dont forget that there are plenty of people out there who suffer from Dyslexia in its many forms who dont even know that they have a problem.

And another thing, correct me if i'm wrong but shouldnt the "Teacher Types" be aware that to point out someone's failings in front of the whole class could inject a sense of failure in the person you are trying to help correct and so make matters worse for them for decades to come, surely a better way of "Teaching" would be to PM that person and maybe help them with what ever problem they may or may not have, just my opinion.

Regards, Danny

PS, and if you darn Yankees hadnt trashed our language in the first place we wouldnt be in such a state with it as we are now. ;)

PPS, anyway if you can understand what somebody is trying to Say or Write whats the problem with you? or do you have "SUMCKIATS" or something?

(Stuck Up Middle Class Know It All Teacher Syndrome)

Regards, Danny

What are you talking about? Spats is the king of all trolls, a brilliant contributor to this forum, but only created as such by the constant remarks and feedback given by people like yourself. Spats owns you like a stuffed animal trophy hung up on the wall of his den. :lol:

And for you, the Queen of the "endless what are you listenting to? / what color is your toothbrush?" type threads to critisize anyone else is just....

well, it's just really a very good example of classic irony is what it is.

:whistling:

Couldnt have put it better myself Del,

I'm listening to "LedZeppelin All" my Windows Media Player Play List.

My Toothbrush Colour is Green, always has and always will be.

Just in case you're even a little bit interested, anything else of Trivia you wanna know, even if you just want to "Up" your "Total Posts" please feel free to post as often as you like, you never know you might be able to "Pass" SAJs total posts as well. ;)

Regards, Danny

Finally! It's been annoying me since before Obama was president when it was displaying that same behavior on the political thread. I quit feeding it ages ago though I did ask the Admins was I the only one who found it's posts disruptive and all I was told was "We haven't gotten any complaints" OK :unsure:

Leaves me to believe the boards aren't really monitored that tightly and when people are getting banned for seemingly stupid reasons....someone's behind it making a big fuss.

Just my 'theory' :D

Agreed ! Don't really see the point in banning people because they don't share an opinion or fall out with someone. Constant trolling is something that needs to be dealt with but I think most on this forum are strong enough to take a bit of flack without resorting to reporting members for doing so.

Speaking for myself, I find it very frustrating that so many solid members have left us over the past year. Many have done so because they disagree with friend and foe being needlessly banned. Maybe what this forum needs is a penalty box . Take your 10 minutes to cool down and then get your ass back in the game. Just a thought

Agreed ! Don't really see the point in banning people because they don't share an opinion or fall out with someone. Constant trolling is something that needs to be dealt with but I think most on this forum are strong enough to take a bit of flack without resorting to reporting members for doing so.

Speaking for myself, I find it very frustrating that so many solid members have left us over the past year. Many have done so because they disagree with friend and foe being needlessly banned. Maybe what this forum needs is a penalty box . Take your 10 minutes to cool down and then get your ass back in the game. Just a thought

Good point Ally, we most likely have all been goaded in to a self defence attack on some protagonist, but when the "Powers that Be" tell you to "Cool It" then that is what you should do, just for your self preservation.

If anyone doesnt like that, or feels that the Mods have been too strict on a friend then they have the right to go on and make their own version of this forum and invite their other friends and likeminded people to come and join them, untill that happens keep it clean and watch your back.

:watchingyou:

Regards, Danny

They do read some posts but I think that they only do things about people that have been compained about.

I got a message from a mod a short whle after I got into it with that SteveAJones guy and someone who was friends with Joel the Troll. Both of them had gone to the mods about me. I had made a post in a thread about people leaving and got a message from a mod saying "Why don't you join them?" or something along that line.

I got a message from a mod a short whle after I got into it with that SteveAJones guy and someone who was friends with Joel the Troll. Both of them had gone to the mods about me. I had made a post in a thread about people leaving and got a message from a mod saying "Why don't you join them?" or something along that line.

That's professional.

Good point Ally, we most likely have all been goaded in to a self defence attack on some protagonist, but when the "Powers that Be" tell you to "Cool It" then that is what you should do, just for your self preservation.

If anyone doesnt like that, or feels that the Mods have been too strict on a friend then they have the right to go on and make their own version of this forum and invite their other friends and likeminded people to come and join them, untill that happens keep it clean and watch your back.

Regards, Danny

I agree that orders are orders and we all know the rules etc. My only beef is with snitching. Never have / never will have any respect for that unless someone is being threatened etc. Having said that, I'm in no position to judge every banning. I would just like to think that when it does happen, it's justified

I agree that orders are orders and we all know the rules etc. My only beef is with snitching. Never have / never will have any respect for that unless someone is being threatened etc. Having said that, I'm in no position to judge every banning. I would just like to think that when it does happen, it's justified

Hi Ally,

Agree to a point, but what about when you see bullying occuring? i for one feel that you have a right to bring it to the attention of the Mods, and what about the members who are openly antagonistic and insulting bordering on the downright rude, you know the ones who i mean dont you?

There are a few who repeatedly come back for more time and time again, Ness Yah for one, in all her disguises, not. Still she gave me a few good laughts but always ended up going too far for the Mods.

Keep well Ally, and dont forget to watch your back, always.

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, maybe the Mods should give us guys a chance to vote on every banning, seems like a good thread to me, how bout you?

Hi Ally,

Agree to a point, but what about when you see bullying occuring? i for one feel that you have a right to bring it to the attention of the Mods, and what about the members who are openly antagonistic and insulting bordering on the downright rude, you know the ones who i mean dont you?

There are a few who repeatedly come back for more time and time again, Ness Yah for one, in all her disguises, not. Still she gave me a few good laughts but always ended up going too far for the Mods.

Keep well Ally, and dont forget to watch your back, always.

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, maybe the Mods should give us guys a chance to vote on every banning, seems like a good thread to me, how bout you?

Of course bullying would apply. So would a number of other obvious issues .

No, I don't think we should have a chance to vote on bannings. Clearly, that could just turn into a popularity contest. I know there is no perfect solution to this and decisions have to be made. I suppose if anything, I'm trying to figure out a way to be pro active as opposed to reactive. This joint can be a tough nut to crack at times and I think sometimes new members overreact to certain situations that may arise. That can come out in the way of anger towards established members and or the forum in general. Sometimes it just takes a little time and patience to get those people over the hump and on to being viable contributors.

Watching my back as alway's Danny :lol:

I enjoy the folks who push the envelope on this forum. Reading an entertaining informative post or reading spirited debate between two or more posters is what I like. I believe the mods give us a pretty wide berth.Repeated nonsense can get old.

No peeve here, just commenting on some previous posts.

Thank you EV, spot on as ever, and dont forget that there are plenty of people out there who suffer from Dyslexia in its many forms who dont even know that they have a problem.

And another thing, correct me if i'm wrong but shouldnt the "Teacher Types" be aware that to point out someone's failings in front of the whole class could inject a sense of failure in the person you are trying to help correct and so make matters worse for them for decades to come, surely a better way of "Teaching" would be to PM that person and maybe help them with what ever problem they may or may not have, just my opinion.

Regards, Danny

PS, and if you darn Yankees hadnt trashed our language in the first place we wouldnt be in such a state with it as we are now. ;)

PPS, anyway if you can understand what somebody is trying to Say or Write whats the problem with you? or do you have "SUMCKIATS" or something?

(Stuck Up Middle Class Know It All Teacher Syndrome)

Regards, Danny

got to agree with you and ev here, danny.

we come from many and varied places in this world, and i'm not just talking about geography.

not everyone found spelling and grammar easy. just like not all people are good at maths. or music. or ..... etc etc.

please, we need to relax about this and try and be a little more understanding. if you can read the post, then fine. if not, then pm the poster.

life's too short to carry on about someone elses grammar. this is not adult english education class.

danny i love the SUMCKIATS!

got to agree with you and ev here, danny.

we come from many and varied places in this world, and i'm not just talking about geography.

not everyone found spelling and grammar easy. just like not all people are good at maths. or music. or ..... etc etc.

please, we need to relax about this and try and be a little more understanding. if you can read the post, then fine. if not, then pm the poster.

life's too short to carry on about someone elses grammar. this is not adult english education class.

danny i love the SUMCKIATS!

Hi S2Z, me ole darling.

I though of an anagram for it, SCUMI-KATS, wadja fink?

Thank fcuk for Google, i types me words in and i gets Google to correct them for me, magiks.

I love it when we share a common value and we both can see what the other person means, you do have Cockney Blood that for sure, and a Criminal Record I hope. :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

PS. lets face it, our language changes about 10% per hundred years or so, go back and read Shakespear and you will need an interpreter, and thats only 400 or so years ago, language is constantly changing and as long as we can interact with each other through speech who the hell cares if we make the odd mistake with grammer? not I. Maybe we should devote one day each week to spelling things wrong, now that would make a good topic for sure, no?

Hi S2Z, me ole darling.

I though of an anagram for it, SCUMI-KATS, wadja fink?

Thank fcuk for Google, i types me words in and i gets Google to correct them for me, magiks.

I love it when we share a common value and we both can see what the other person means, you do have Cockney Blood that for sure, and a Criminal Record I hope. :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

PS. lets face it, our language changes about 10% per hundred years or so, go back and read Shakespear and you will need an interpreter, and thats only 400 or so years ago, language is constantly changing and as long as we can interact with each other through speech who the hell cares if we make the odd mistake with grammer? not I. Maybe we should devote one day each week to spelling things wrong, now that would make a good topic for sure, no?

bloody oath! :P:)

Archived