Pet Peeves

Hotplant

I'm peeved with myself for not being more of a risk taker. If I was, I would be EXACTLY where I wanted to be right now. (which isn't here) <_<

I know exactly how you feel because that's exactly how I feel right now.

Im sure it does the job but Id never buy a 4 cylinder. My Chevy 6 cylinder has 203,000 miles on it and the engine will run forever. The damn thing would rot out before the engine dies. My biggest fear though, knock on wook, tranny. If the tranny goes, the car goes. No way am I putting $1300 into a car with that many miles.

Detroit steel, I'll always buy American. Unless there's no longer a choice :blink:

You've heard me complain about NJ drivers before but today's incident took the cake:

I'm merging onto the highway and the merge lane is a very sharp curve so you have to go a bit slow to see the traffic flow and then punch it to get in. I'm just punching it and ready to move into the lane and here's a dip shit sitting at the Y of the merge on the shoulder BACKING UP!!!!! I have to swerve 2 lanes FAST to avoid getting backed into on the frikking highway! Good thing the lane was empty next to me. Who does that shit?

Even some of the import labels made that error on their singles. I'm not losing any sleep on that one. Now, call it Lead Zepplin and I come out guns-a-blazin'! :lol:

To be honest, I forgive spelling errors. No one's perfect. It's the ones that text-speak on the forum that get under my skin! I can take WTF? and IMO, but when I have to sort out "Tbh imo Jmy ws a gd nd mst btfl mn! Hs tlnts cnt b ndrstmtd". Can I buy a vowel? How much effort goes into THAT? We don't charge by the letter. :blink:

That text speak is annoying as heck. I can never tell what people are trying to say when they do that...I'm always like "Um...En Inglés, por favor?" But then again, I am the worst texter ever. My friend will text me something like "R U comen ovr 2nite?" And I text back like this "Yeah, I'll be there in a few minutes. Do you need me to stop at Wal-mart?" It always takes me a long time to send a text...

That text speak is annoying as heck. I can never tell what people are trying to say when they do that...I'm always like "Um...En Inglés, por favor?" But then again, I am the worst texter ever. My friend will text me something like "R U comen ovr 2nite?" And I text back like this "Yeah, I'll be there in a few minutes. Do you need me to stop at Wal-mart?" It always takes me a long time to send a text...

I am too. It takes a long time to type the message but if you type it like this...

I'll be there in a few mins. Do you need me to stop at Wal-mart?

Maybe a bit faster... :unsure:

I hate being illiterate.

I text like that too! I refuse to let teenager text-speak ruin my grammar. I work hard to have proper grammar, spellings, and punctuation. I refuse to change that for text messaging.

Beleive it or not, I've seen a TON of text speak in FORMAL papers coming from kids.

My pet peeve is parents who never do anythign about their kids' poor behavior. Seriously...what ever happened to consequences when you screw up?

The other day, I took a phone away from a kid who WAS TALKING ON THE PHONE IN CLASS while I was teaching. She actually asked me to quiet down becuase SHE WAS ON THE PHONE WITH HER MOM and couldn't hear her. I took the phone from her and hung up on her mom...and turned the phone into the office.

Yeah.

Then I was the BITCH for "getting her phone taken away." Like I was the one who forced her to pull her phone out and break every school and district rule about cell phones. I was just the one enforcing it, buddy. :rolleyes:

I text like that too! I refuse to let teenager text-speak ruin my grammar. I work hard to have proper grammar, spellings, and punctuation. I refuse to change that for text messaging.

Hi-five!

Text-speak not only looks idiotic, but I think it is a factor in many people genuinely not knowing how to spell or talk properly.

Ill second that request. It's just plain stupid. Over and over. What does that say about this person?

Just like a little kid: The more you tell them to stop, the more they are going to do it.

Just ignore the behavior and it will eventually cease.

The more that you talk about it and complalin, the more they will feed on the attention and then the unwanted behavior will escalate.

Child Psychology 101.

I can't stand it when people can't spell! Especially when someone spells "Michael" as "Micheal" <_<

You can't hold that against people. I mean in the sense that if you can't be certain they're just being lazy or careless, or maybe it was just a typo, or maybe the poor person is dyslexic or something, you don't know why they've gotten it wrong.

It's like people who don't know when to use "who's" or "whose". I'm not gonna get myself wound up because someone hasn't grasped the difference between possessive nouns and possessive pronouns. I'd be called a jerk for correcting something so trivial on a message board. I knew what was meant. Communication completed.

Simple lesson: If there's an apostrophy, there's a second word involved. "There's" means "there is". "Theirs" means it belongs to them.

But like I said, if I get the meaning, why fret over the grammar? Unless you're an English teacher and you're referring to one of your pupils! ;)

Was there a run on sentence up there somewhere? :unsure:

You can't hold that against people. I mean in the sense that if you can't be certain they're just being lazy or careless, or maybe it was just a typo, or maybe the poor person is dyslexic or something, you don't know why they've gotten it wrong.

It's like people who don't know when to use "who's" or "whose". I'm not gonna get myself wound up because someone hasn't grasped the difference between possessive nouns and possessive pronouns. I'd be called a jerk for correcting something so trivial on a message board. I knew what was meant. Communication completed.

Simple lesson: If there's an apostrophy, there's a second word involved. "There's" means "there is". "Theirs" means it belongs to them.

But like I said, if I get the meaning, why fret over the grammar? Unless you're an English teacher and you're referring to one of your pupils! ;)

Was there a run on sentence up there somewhere? :unsure:

Ev, what drives me crazy with apostrophes is when people add one when it's not needed.

Example: shoe's instead of shoes

When you add an apostrophe plus "s," you are implying that the noun you're tacking it onto owns something. Period.

shoe's= something belongs to the shoe

shoes=more than one shoe

shoes'=something that belongs to more than one shoe

Ev, what drives me crazy with apostrophes is when people add one when it's not needed.

Example: shoe's instead of shoes

When you add an apostrophe plus "s," you are implying that the noun you're tacking it onto owns something. Period.

shoe's= something belongs to the shoe

shoes=more than one shoe

shoes'=something that belongs to more than one shoe

I'm always really fussy about the plural possessives (i.e. The swimmers' towels are over there), and possessives of words ending in s, which I've been taught only require the one s (i.e. That is James' book; not That is James's book).

When people say they-or someone else-got where they are because they worked harder, or wanted it more, than other people. There was a guy on Charlie Rose a while ago who wrote a book about this. I was yelling at the TV, I was so mad! I played an instrument through college, and majored in music. I never got good enough to play professionally, though I played in every type of ensemble I could, and played for hours every day. For every Yo-Yo-Ma or Michael Jordan, there are many people who worked just as hard and wanted it just as much. Yes, those who make it work very hard and want it desperately-you have to-but they also had MORE talent. I knew people who didn't work as hard as I did, but COULD HAVE played professionally, if they'd chosen that as their career and put the effort in, because of their talent. The best player I knew in college put a lot of work into his playing, but he majored in something else (computer sciece & physics, I think) and minored in music.

Sometimes people (actors, musicians, athletes etc.) are asked what they would do for a living if they couldn't do what they are doing. They often say they couldn't NOT act, sing, play basketball or whatever. It's possible to NOT do what you wanted to/loved-you just feel like that part of you is dead, unless or until you find something else that you love and can do. I hope I find that someday!

OK, these might be my biggest pet-peeves:

People who cough and don't cover their mouths! :mad:

People who put their fingers in their mouths and don't wash their hands (Such as people who serve food and medical workers. Once a nurse-who came to the office I worked at to give flu shots-finished eating her lunch-incl w/her fingers-in front of me. I asked her to wash her hands before giving me my shot. She just wiped my arm with a TINY wipe and gave me the shot, without washing her hands. I was so mad!).

People who go to the bathroom & don't wash their hands. Worse yet, people who get pee (or other bodily substances-I've seen a lot worse) on the toilet seat and don't bother wiping it off.

Kids are one thing-I'm referring to ADULTS: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?! :rant:

I hate it when I'm teaching and I'm freaking bored.

I have eighteen days for this entire semester. I had to teach To Kill a Mockingbird and Romeo and Juliet in one "semester." Yeah...we're on chapter 12 of 31 in Mockingbird, so we're watching the movie today.

...also, since today is report card day, (thus I'm giving them time to make up any missing assignments while the movies are going), I'm also letting them watch another movie. I'm sooo freakin' bored. BORED.

More of a puzzlement than I peeve I guess: mature women who go running in full makeup and/or with their hair "done". :blink:

And also...people who run or power walk in street clothes/street shoes. Not healthy or safe.

Archived