The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Lulz on burke...though we might have to take Toronto seriously now ;)

I wonder if it was because he was either pushing too hard for luongo, or didn't want him and the owners did. I would guess the latter, as he has a history of avoiding huge contracts. As for timing, maybe it was the first option and a deal fell through just now, or maybe they wanted him around for the lockout, but not having anything to do with building the hockey team.

I can't say for sure Arcane but what I've heard is that if the last year of Luongo's contract were to be bought out, it would count against the teams salary cap for the following season. Given, as you said, Burke isn't a fan of long term contracts,it's quite possible that he was backing out of the Luongo deal because of that clause and ownership took exception. Who knows if in the long term, Burke would have been correct in not accepting a deal for Luongo but I can understand ownerships thinking that having Luongo, would give the Leafs a realistic shot at making the playoffs. Stay tuned

Well watch some Lucic fights to hold you over.

...just watched this....I'd be needing some new laundry if this guy came after me on the ice....wish he was a Leafer......He's got a lot of Cam Neeley traits but he has some Terry O'reilly in him, which is even scarier!....

I cant wait to see Lucic and Ott go at it!

Lucic is dirty. And dont assume it will be Ott. It may be Scott. Sabres will win the Northeast. Miller is far better than Rask. Myers and Erhoff are now loaded with backups. We are going to light your ass's on fire.

...it just seems like poor timing to me with the guys and staff trying to gear up for the immediacy of the season......not sure why they could not wait 2-3 weeks if this is what they really thought may be a direction they wanted to take...Ally are you a Canucks fan? If so, what is your take on the Luongo situation...

There are a lot of factors involved with Luongo. First off, I still believe he is among the top 6 goaltenders in the league and will make any team he goes to...better. I'm not sure he could backstop the Leafs to the playoffs all on his own but he would certainly greatly improve their chances. Anyone who watches hockey knows that having an excellent goaltender is not just about the saves they make. It's also about installing some confidence in teammates so they can perfom at their best without fear of making a mistake that could lead to a bad goal against. Defencemen joining the rush and pinching in etc. When you don't have confidence in your goaltender, they're less likely to join in the attack and link up play. To be a successful team in this league, you've got to be able to do that and do it without fear. That's something that the Leafs have lacked . Secondly, I think Luongo is a class act and a great teammate. He takes a lot of heat about his large contract (which is considerably less/yr than it was ) but without him, there's no way the Canucks would have been as successful as they've been over the last 4 seasons. No, we didn't win the cup during that period but we were among the favorites .None of that happens without Luongo's stellar play. Yep, he had a bad series against the Bruins in the cup final but without him, we don't get there. Do I think he would make the Leafs a better team...yes. Is it worth it to the Leafs to take on his contract...I guess it depends on how good Leaf fans think their team is at the moment and how much cap space his contract would eat up

There are a lot of factors involved with Luongo. First off, I still believe he is among the top 6 goaltenders in the league and will make any team he goes to...better. I'm not sure he could backstop the Leafs to the playoffs all on his own but he would certainly greatly improve their chances. Anyone who watches hockey knows that having an excellent goaltender is not just about the saves they make. It's also about installing some confidence in teammates so they can perfom at their best without fear of making a mistake that could lead to a bad goal against. Defencemen joining the rush and pinching in etc. When you don't have confidence in your goaltender, they're less likely to join in the attack and link up play. To be a successful team in this league, you've got to be able to do that and do it without fear. That's something that the Leafs have lacked . Secondly, I think Luongo is a class act and a great teammate. He takes a lot of heat about his large contract (which is considerably less/yr than it was ) but without him, there's no way the Canucks would have been as successful as they've been over the last 4 seasons. No, we didn't win the cup during that period but we were among the favorites .None of that happens without Luongo's stellar play. Yep, he had a bad series against the Bruins in the cup final but without him, we don't get there. Do I think he would make the Leafs a better team...yes. Is it worth it to the Leafs to take on his contract...I guess it depends on how good Leaf fans think their team is at the moment and how much cap space his contract would eat up

...thanks for the input....Last night listening to Bob McCowan's show, he said he heard that Burke refused to pull the trigger on a Luongo/and contract for Khadri and Gardner. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of days with Nonis......cheers, Rich

...thanks for the input....Last night listening to Bob McCowan's show, he said he heard that Burke refused to pull the trigger on a Luongo/and contract for Khadri and Gardner. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of days with Nonis......cheers, Rich

In fairness to Burke, he probably thought that this was his make or break year as Leafs GM anyways and just didn't want to hamstring the franchise anymore that he already has. Now that he's out of the picture,my guess is that Nonis makes the deal and he'll make it because ownership wants it. He did the same thing when he took over for Burke in Vancouver

In fairness to Burke, he probably thought that this was his make or break year as Leafs GM anyways and just didn't want to hamstring the franchise anymore that he already has. Now that he's out of the picture,my guess is that Nonis makes the deal and he'll make it because ownership wants it. He did the same thing when he took over for Burke in Vancouver

phuck!...no offense, but if you guys get Gardner, i will be pissed. Watched him all last year and he did some things with the puck that were amazing at his young age. Really showed how "scary" good he could end up being down the road....Khadri, well, that is another story...

phuck!...no offense, but if you guys get Gardner, i will be pissed. Watched him all last year and he did some things with the puck that were amazing at his young age. Really showed how "scary" good he could end up being down the road....Khadri, well, that is another story...

None taken :lol: . TBH, everyone knows we want to unload his contract so I think it very unlikely that the Leafs or any other club, would have to give up an asset like Gardner. FWIW, TSN is reporting that Philly is now interested in Luongo. Apparently they are in a position to buy out the guy they have..who's name I can't spell, in June

None taken :lol: . TBH, everyone knows we want to unload his contract so I think it very unlikely that the Leafs or any other club, would have to give up an asset like Gardner. FWIW, TSN is reporting that Philly is now interested in Luongo. Apparently they are in a position to buy out the guy they have..who's name I can't spell, in June

Philly?....yeah, i guess they are tired of Brysgalov's (sp?) routine.....

Lucic is dirty. And dont assume it will be Ott. It may be Scott. Sabres will win the Northeast. Miller is far better than Rask. Myers and Erhoff are now loaded with backups. We are going to light your ass's on fire.

Bruins and Sabres have a history hard hitting, fighting in every time they face each other. Rask is better than you think he has gotten a lot better. Cant wait for the first game between them.By the way Lucic is not a dirty player. :redcard:

I have just read that it is highly likely the Rangers will open vs Boston and the Sabres will host the Flyers next Sunday the 20th in an afternoon game. Perhaps part of the national TV deal?

I havent seen that anywhere, but I havent seen a schedule either.....I'll take Boston / Rangers for the opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on1qlcd_Q48

Strange the season opening on a weekend and no exhibition games! The first time they drop the puck is the first time any of these guys will play together in a game atmosphere. Expect some sloppy play for a couple of weeks in some cases. I dont know if it means less goals or more goals? It may help the goalies in a way but then again they may be rusty? Ill read your take in the morning Ally if you respond to this? Would like your input.

Archived