The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

That was Kevin Lowe, not Steve Tambellini. And you know, that's just part of the game, what Kevin Lowe did was well within the rules. Look around at a lot of other signings of young talented players, what Vanek got is not that much of an overpay at all. And basically, it's a lesson to other GMs, don't want other teams poaching on your players? Sign them sooner rather than later, and if nothing else, take them to arbitration.

Sorry Ally, but I think Vancouver is in for a long season after viewing their roster. I am betting on Calgary in the opener in Vancouver. As for that Flyers fan, they were a fluke in my opinion and they don't scare me one bit.

Actually , I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the Canucks this year. I'm not going by they're pre season record either. Luongo's still here and looking sharp. Some new faces from the farm, and a couple of new additions that they could sorely have done with last year. They look hungry and I think the prospects for the playoffs are good. I also think both Calgary and Edmonton will make them too. I really like the look of the Oilers. They're power play is going to be deadly. Detroit and the Ducks will still be the class of the West, but I see the gap being much closer.

So what is your opinion of the East? And of my Sabres? I personally think Pittsburgh is way overated. I think they will slip a notch from last year. Not saying they wont make the playoffs. One team that may be better than people think are the Islanders. They have Weight now and have some weapons to go with a good goalie (DiPietro). Melrose will wish he had stayed at ESPN in my opinion. I give him no chance of the playoffs. Say Washington wins the South and will be the only playoff team from that division. I think Buffalo, Montreal and Ottawa or Boston will all come out of the Northeast and make it. Perhaps all 4. GO SABRES!!! Its Miller time!

IMHO, the East is up for grabs. So many teams of equal ability. Harder to predict. Naslund and Redden will help the Rangers big time at least during the regular season. New Jersey is a big question mark for me as is Boston. Buffalo will be similar to the Canucks. If Miller is hot then they've got a good chance. One team I forgot to mention in the West is Chicago. Talented young team that seems ready to play up to their potential and yes, as much as I know it pains you, Campbell will make his presence felt.

I really wish the Canucks had gone in for him because he would have made a huge difference here.

I agree that Chicago will score alot. But they will also give up alot. They will be in alot of 8-7 games. No offense, but IMO Buffalo is far ahead of Vancouver in the contender end of things. Vanek, Roy and Pommenville, I dont think Vancouver has anyone of their caliber. One guy I wish we didnt get rid of and you have is Pyatt. He is good. Your goalie is great and he will have to be. The Rangers dont scare me at all. I still think the best teams in the East will be Buffalo, Montreal, Pittsburgh, and New Jersey. The Sabres missed by a point last year after having to play two long seasons and going to the conferance finals two straight years. Everyone want to jump on the Montreal bandwagan it seems. Why? They had theiri first good year in a long long time and then layed down like wimps against a Philly team that they should have had little trouble with if they were so good. Im not buying it. Their fist line is great and so is their power play. But I believe, in fact I know, the Sabres second and third lines are better than theirs. Bring em on.

It should all make for an interesting season. There's a number of good teams out there and injuries etc will as usual, play a huge roll as to who makes the playoffs. Can't really count anybody out in this league anymore

NHL Center Ice. FREE for a week!!!! I dont know how many of you american and canandien hockey fans can get NHL Center Ice, but in my area once again this year, the local cable provider, Time Warner in my area, will give out NHL Center Ice for free from October 9th til the 15th. One week!! Eeehaaaaa!! That means Ill be watching every game that is going on in US and Canada. Early and late games. GO SABRES!!!!! Check in your area, you may get it and not even know it.

I will !!! Cable company promo works for me :)

I hope I can catch some of Don Cherry on Hockey night in Canada, which we never get here exceot on Center Ice. Before I got remarried I bought it one season. Up til 130 am every night watching hockey. Cant get enough. Love it.

Your worse than my buddy and he's bad when it comes to watching games. There was a time when I was too but, not so much now. Sadly, Hockey Night In Canada is no longer on the CBC. Theme song gone as well. You'll need to tune into CTV and TSN to catch the action. Damn this country is going to hell :(

Hockey Night In Canada IS still on the CBC. The retards running CBC just didn't grab the rights to the theme song quick enough, and CTV/TSN bought the rights. The theme song will be on TSN, HNIC is still on CBC...for now.

Hockey Night In Canada IS still on the CBC. The retards running CBC just didn't grab the rights to the theme song quick enough, and CTV/TSN bought the rights. The theme song will be on TSN, HNIC is still on CBC...for now.

Right you are Jukebox. I've been spending way too much time following the Zeppelin news :D

Opening night predictions:

Calgary 4 Vancouver 1

Detroit 6 Toronto 2

Did you hear about how someone pulled the fire alarm in the Leafs' hotel at 4am? Ahahahaha! Let the gamesmanship begin. They should save the tactics for when the Ducks come to Detroit, but those fans seem to be in post-season form already!

My prediction: the Leafs are going to surprise this year. I don't know whether it's with their poor or great play, but they're going to surprise this year :D

Archived