The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

How many of the Oilers games did you watch in the playoffs that year? What about the regular season? I watched almost all of their games, and that run was no fluke whatsoever. The Oilers as a team played GREAT all regular season long, but they had that three-headed-monster goalie situation for 80% of the season with Jussi Markkanen, Ty Conklin, and Mike Morrison, all average to bad goaltenders, none any better than a back up. So while the Oilers played solid enough to win most nights, the goaltending cost them several points. There was absolutely no luck involved in that playoff run though. They played teams almost perfectly, and every single player seemed to bring their A game, they were not only playing systematically perfect, every one of those players was going balls out. Chris Pronger, Dwayne Roloson, Shawn Horcoff, Fernando Pisani, and Mike Peca were all having a playoff worthy of a Conn Smythe, especially Pronger and Roloson, and a lesser extent Pisani. Beating the consesus #1 team in the league, Detroit 4-2, beating what was considered one of the top five picks to win the cup, San Jose, 4-2 including 4 straight wins, beating a very strong team, Anaheim, 4-1, and taking that Carolina team to a game 7, WITHOUT their Conn Smythe caliber goaltender, to game 7 and lose by one goal. HOW is that lucky?

You don't have to convince me,I witnessed it and my Albertan wife will attest to that fact too!!! :D

Once they got the goalie situation under control the team took on another dynamic IMO.

How many of the Oilers games did you watch in the playoffs that year? What about the regular season? I watched almost all of their games, and that run was no fluke whatsoever. The Oilers as a team played GREAT all regular season long, but they had that three-headed-monster goalie situation for 80% of the season with Jussi Markkanen, Ty Conklin, and Mike Morrison, all average to bad goaltenders, none any better than a back up. So while the Oilers played solid enough to win most nights, the goaltending cost them several points. There was absolutely no luck involved in that playoff run though. They played teams almost perfectly, and every single player seemed to bring their A game, they were not only playing systematically perfect, every one of those players was going balls out. Chris Pronger, Dwayne Roloson, Shawn Horcoff, Fernando Pisani, and Mike Peca were all having a playoff worthy of a Conn Smythe, especially Pronger and Roloson, and a lesser extent Pisani. Beating the consesus #1 team in the league, Detroit 4-2, beating what was considered one of the top five picks to win the cup, San Jose, 4-2 including 4 straight wins, beating a very strong team, Anaheim, 4-1, and taking that Carolina team to a game 7, WITHOUT their Conn Smythe caliber goaltender, to game 7 and lose by one goal. HOW is that lucky?

I never expected the Oilers to even make the playoffs but at the time for the hell of it, I thought that it would be nice if they brought the Cup back home and this happened out of the middle of nowhere. I will never, never ever forget that playoff run. The energy the fans brought to Oilers games, the hairs that rose on my arm when they sang O'Canada, to them screaming "WE WANT THE CUP!" at the end of Game Six. Of course everything went downhill. Calgary's run was pretty cool as well, but Edmonton's more serious about their franchise and this one was a lot more fun.

It gave me a sense of how it's going to feel if my Habs go through such a run, which could be soon, but I'm not goin' to get too cocky; It's only the beginning of the season. B)

I never expected the Oilers to even make the playoffs but at the time for the hell of it, I thought that it would be nice if they brought the Cup back home and this happened out of the middle of nowhere. I will never, never ever forget that playoff run. The energy the fans brought to Oilers games, the hairs that rose on my arm when they sang O'Canada, to them screaming "WE WANT THE CUP!" at the end of Game Six. Of course everything went downhill. Calgary's run was pretty cool as well, but Edmonton's more serious about their franchise and this one was a lot more fun.

It gave me a sense of how it's going to feel if my Habs go through such a run, which could be soon, but I'm not goin' to get too cocky; It's only the beginning of the season. B)

It hurts me to say it, but the Habs have one of the best chances at the Cup this year. Very well rounded; super creative offense, solid defense, excellent special teams, don't wilt under physical pressure, fast, experienced, good young players should injuries inevitably occur, and last but not least, a grrrreat young goalie with ice in his veins. A total juggernaut. I'd actually love for them to win in a - this historic year and b - it's a Canadian team :) . Good luck (please don't gloat too much, I'm already jealous)

You two can say what you will, but there is no way they were better than Carolina or Buffalo. I cant wait to play those pricks this year. The Sabres are playing them at some point, I think they are playing at Edmonton.

And you know there is no way how exactly? Because the Oilers lost their starting goaltender in game 1 against Carolina, and they didn't exactly play Buffalo because you guys got injured and shit the bed.

Never easy to cross three time zones and play. But lets look at the reality also. Washington does have more weapons than Vancouver Ally. I hate to rain on your parade but dont get too excited. I look at Edmonton getting Cole and that scares me in that division. I think Anaheim wins tonight. I think my Sabres will bring the Rangers down to earth tomorrow. GO SABRES!!!

Oh, I almost forgot. Your Canucks are in Buffalo Friday night!! Hope you will be watching?

I was being sarcastic. ;) The Canucks have been using that excuse for years. I still like the look of them though. Last night just proved that they can't let their guard down and expect to get something. Long season for sure and everyone will have nights like these. I would be more concerned if they played well and lost by that score.

Buffalo looks great at the moment. Fri. should be interesting for sure.

I took Calgary and Anaheim tonight. So far so good. Calgary is up 3-1.

The Ducks are off to a very slow start. I wonder if all the Brian Burke rumours are playing with their heads

Nice win for your Canucks. Ally and Babs. Perhaps Detroit is feeling a little Stanley Cup hangover as predicted? Tomorrow you guys are playing my Sabres. Ill be watching. GO SABRES!!!

Babs and I watched the game and I have to say my man that the Canucks played great. Almost had my heart in my hand when Detroit took the lead but the Canucks showed some real grit and skill. They're starting to gain an identity and as I told you before, nobody is going to want to play this team. Don't know where they'll finish in the West but they are a team that should make the playoffs at least. 5 games over .500 at least.

Did somebody say Vegas :D

My team isnt doing too bad either. Tune in tomorrow.

I will be at the airport picking up my wife so I doubt I'll get a chance to watch but yes, the Sabres look good and I expect them to do well in the East. I've told you before my man,after the Canucks, the Sabres are the team I root for. Expansion cousins and Joe Crozier to boot :D Not to mention Don Cherry. Good luck tomorrow. I'm predicting a shootout after a 4-4 game

So far Vanek has 5 goals in 3 games. I just traded Crosby for Vanek and Gionta in fantasy league. I think Vancouver will probably sit Luongo tomorrow. The Sabres will play Lalime instead of Miller eitiher against Vancouver or Atlanta on Saturday. Ill be wathcing the whole game tomorrow. Later.

Being a non conference game then it will be a good op. for both clubs to give Luongo and Miller a rest. That's why I think it will be fairly high scoring.

I dont know who your backup is, but Lalime played well against the Islanders the other day. He is better than Thibault in my opinion. His goal against average was pretty good for playing for the Black hawks last year.

Curtis Sanford is our backup. I like the kid but like everyone, you need playing time to get in a groove. IMHO, Ottawa killed Lalime when they let him go. Blamed him for not getting past the second round. Not a fair at all. I think and hope he get's it back together because he has all the skills...just needs his confidence back

I dont know who your backup is, but Lalime played well against the Islanders the other day. He is better than Thibault in my opinion. His goal against average was pretty good for playing for the Black hawks last year.

Yukon, TRUST ME, as a Leaf fan, we LOVED what Lalime did for us in the playoffs against Ottawa. You do not want Miller to go down at the wrong time. Lalime will play well, but consistently chokes under pressure.

He made some good saves against the Islanders but to be honest didnt have to break much of a sweat as we beat them 7-1. I know he is getting the call against either Vancouver or Atlanta. They want to rest Miller and give Lalime about 20 starts. Lindy Ruff said the other day he thinks he can make Thomas Vanek the best two way player in the NHL. I dont know, but this kid is going to be a big star for a long time. I say he gets 50 goals at least. I think the Sabres and Montreal are the two best in the East right now. But its a long year. Nice to see the stinking Flyers lose again.

Lalime is fine during the regular season. But none of those 20 starts better come in the playoffs or you'll be waking up from nightmares of my words in your sleep.

It's a funny thing about players like Vanek, where they are hidden gems and then in the right conditions and playing systems they flourish. I hope he gets the 50 goals, it'll be nice for Buffalo to get the recognition nationwide. Hockey's a tough enough sell in some markets as it is. Someone remind me why there's a team in Atlanta again?

Oh, and the Sens blow (I'm so genteel, I know :D ), that team just brings out the sailor in me lol

Curtis Sanford is our backup. I like the kid but like everyone, you need playing time to get in a groove. IMHO, Ottawa killed Lalime when they let him go. Blamed him for not getting past the second round. Not a fair at all. I think and hope he get's it back together because he has all the skills...just needs his confidence back

With all due respect, Ally, you might have that backwards. Lalime HAD to be let go because of his abysmal playoff performances. They had complete teams, juggernauts, and yet he not only did not make the difficult saves at key times, he let in weak goals at the worst times. I think one of the biggest parts of a goalie's game is his mental strength. Lalime is sound technically, but like Emery and Raycroft, isn't the strongest from the neck up. The Sens could not afford to have the team in front of him playing with hesitancy and doubt. Hopefully he finds that "it" factor that makes him impenetrable to negativity.

Lalime is fine during the regular season. But none of those 20 starts better come in the playoffs or you'll be waking up from nightmares of my words in your sleep.

It's a funny thing about players like Vanek, where they are hidden gems and then in the right conditions and playing systems they flourish. I hope he gets the 50 goals, it'll be nice for Buffalo to get the recognition nationwide. Hockey's a tough enough sell in some markets as it is. Someone remind me why there's a team in Atlanta again?

Oh, and the Sens blow (I'm so genteel, I know :D ), that team just brings out the sailor in me lol

They only need him for the regular season :D Miller will be needing the break that he has not had in the last couple of seasons. I say Miller and Luongo sit tomorrow.

Vanek is not unlike many a good player in this league and I totally agree that given the right system and squad, they can become stars. There is no shortage of talent out there, the question becomes more one of , how much opportunity is being offered. It's a pro game after all. It's a big pond

With all due respect, Ally, you might have that backwards. Lalime HAD to be let go because of his abysmal playoff performances. They had complete teams, juggernauts, and yet he not only did not make the difficult saves at key times, he let in weak goals at the worst times. I think one of the biggest parts of a goalie's game is his mental strength. Lalime is sound technically, but like Emery and Raycroft, isn't the strongest from the neck up. The Sens could not afford to have the team in front of him playing with hesitancy and doubt. Hopefully he finds that "it" factor that makes him impenetrable to negativity.

All due respect taken :D I think the situation in Ottawa, at the time, was a typicall Canadian one. Somebody has to take the blame and instead of looking at the team as a whole, they decided to make Lalime the fall guy. Your absolutely right in saying that he didn't have the mental toughness for the playoffs but I think it's fair to say that he , like so many of his teamates and head coach, didn't have the experience to handle the pressure. This is Canada and like all Canadian cities and their hockey, someone has to be blamed for playoff failure. Lalime paid the price....He must have been coming up for a new contract :D

Just saw that the Chicago Blackhawks fired their coach 4 games into the season! Kneejerk reaction is what it is. They hired Quenville who is a good coach. I think its unfair that they did it this way though. Classless move. I wonder if Scotty Bowman was behind it?

Early reports are speculating that. Tallon didn't look too comfortable when he made the announcement. He had that look that made me think it wasn't his call

I remember when Tallon was the first pick of the Canucks way back around 1970/71 ish. Hope you get to see some of tonight's game, our only meeting this year. Canucks at Sabres. Im hoping for a 5-0 start as we play Atlanta tomorrow. Im not taking anyone lightly, but I like our chances. Good luck Ally.

Might be able to catch some of it at the airport. If so then it'll be the first time that I wanted a flight to be late :D

All's fair in love and war :D Didn't see a minute of the game Yukon. Wife's plane was delayed but not a TV with the game on to be found. Not suprised they sat Luongo and not totally suprised that they lost but, a bit suprised that they rolled over again. You know,that's why the fights happened.

When I heard that Barry Melrose was going back behind the bench I was kind of excited. When I heard it was Tampa I knew and predicted disaster would ensue. He should quit while he still has some appeal as a coach while he can. That organization never should have fired John Tortorella first of all. The guy wins them a cup for crying out loud. Melrose and Tampa are pathetic. Even worse than the stinking Islanders. And I think Atlanta will even beat them out. They suck. Melrose sucks. Toronto made the right choice by grabbing Wilson and it already shows. They are in need of talent and time for their youth to develope but they are on the right track unlike Tampa. Mr know it all Melrose knows nothing

lol one loss does not a bag-over-head merit! At least you earned one point. Yeah I agree about Melrose being a curious choice. I think Tortorella's giant chip on shoulder routine wore too thin, and the team began tuning him out (just like Keenan in Calgary will, I think). But yeah, hasn't Melrose been out of the league for like twelve years? It's a huge adjustment to today's game. I really like Wilson and the system he's trying to implement. I think a lot of the younger players are adapting to it far better than the veterans. Hopefully we can dump him off on some team that doesn't know any better (hi Florida :wave: ).

So how's that Vanek in your fantasy pool? Top of the list yest? :)

Archived