5 Dead in College Shooting...

Retrobaby

How sad, especially on Valentine's Day...this isnt too far from where I live, I'm in southern Wisconsin...what is going on with people to where they feel that they have to kill someone and then themselves?

Northern Illinois College Shooting

6 dead in N. Illinois U. hall shooting

By CARYN ROUSSEAU, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

DEKALB, Ill. - The Northern Illinois University president says five people have died in a "rapid fire" shooting at a lecture hall that ended in the gunman's suicide.

ADVERTISEMENT

President John Peters says a man dressed in black opened fire with a shotgun and two handguns from the stage of Cole Hall on Thursday. He says 16 other people were wounded.

The gunman shot himself on the stage after a brief rampage that sent terrified students screaming, crying and running for the doors around 3 p.m.

The campus police chief says the gunman was not a student at the school. His motive was unknown.

All classes were canceled on the 25,000-student campus about 65 miles west of Chicago.

I was just reading about that on a different site.

How terribly, terribly awful. Condolences, thoughts, and prayers to the students and families affected by this.

what is going on with people to where they feel that they have to kill someone and then themselves?

I don't know. It just seems so pointless. For whatever reason that they think their own lives must end, it seems so outrageous that they then insist upon inflicting that tragedy onto others.

I was just reading about that on a different site.

How terribly, terribly awful. Condolences, thoughts, and prayers to the students and families affected by this.

My brother used to live in Deklab, so this story really hit home with me...its just an hour from where I live. I offer my condolences also...

I know what you mean. My daughter is in college a couple hours away from here, and last semester some girl got in the dorm, waving a gun around. Fortunately, no one was hurt... and the whole thing became an opportunity to change the school's security and communication procedures.

I know what you mean. My daughter is in college a couple hours away from here, and last semester some girl got in the dorm, waving a gun around. Fortunately, no one was hurt... and the whole thing became an opportunity to change the school's security and communication procedures.

Oh my gosh, thank god everything turned out to be okay. I never went to a four year college. I went to a two year technical college for a while, and I never lived on campus since their was no campus. I hope everthing works out for your daughter while she's on campus and she STAYS SAFE...people are no joke out here. Thats why I'm careful about how I talk to people, and how I treat people in general. The gunman was a 19 year old boy. He's now dead, suicide.

Yet ANOTHER story of someone taking (or not Taking)... Professionally prescribed Pharmaceuticals....

We can know if someone is a "sex" offender.... but we can't have knowledge if someone is taking Meds....

I guess 5 lives are worth the privacy one one person's condition that required meds.... <_<

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4296984

I'm sorry, but requiring those with mental illnesses to disclose that to people is NOT the same as requiring those who are registered sex offenders to disclose it. Sex offenders have a high recidivism rate and that knowledge can protect those in the community in which they live. Requiring ALL people with mental illnesses or people who take medication to disclose that would be basically saying that these people are dangerous and therefore should be feared. What a horrible stigma to attach to someone, especially since those with mental illnesses already face a stigma as it is.

That's pushing it way, way too far.

So tragic.

The ripple effect of loss, grief and suffering that will emanate from the

epicenter of this incident and affect so many people is heartbreaking.

:(

I'm sorry, but requiring those with mental illnesses to disclose that to people is NOT the same as requiring those who are registered sex offenders to disclose it. Sex offenders have a high recidivism rate and that knowledge can protect those in the community in which they live. Requiring ALL people with mental illnesses or people who take medication to disclose that would be basically saying that these people are dangerous and therefore should be feared. What a horrible stigma to attach to someone, especially since those with mental illnesses already face a stigma as it is.

Well said, Liz. :beer:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Yet ANOTHER story of someone taking (or not Taking)... Professionally prescribed Pharmaceuticals....

We can know if someone is a "sex" offender.... but we can't have knowledge if someone is taking Meds....

I guess 5 lives are worth the privacy one one person's condition that required meds.... <_<

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4296984

That's pushing it way, way too far.

Thank you... very well put.

While I defend freedom of speech and all, getting weapons esp for young chldren and teenagers is going WAY OVER THE TOP!

Never mind

More senseless violence...where in the hell is this country leading itself to??

edited: I misread what you had said dragster. I thought you said that getting weapons for defense is way over the top, I didn't realize you meant guns for childrend. My mistake

Never mind

More senseless violence...where in the hell is this country leading itself to??

edited: I misread what you had said dragster. I thought you said that getting weapons for defense is way over the top, I didn't realize you meant guns for childrend. My mistake

No worries, I was only thinking out aloud....there is no way we're ever going to stop this senseless violence......unfortunately! :(

I can't for the life of me understand what's wrong with people, either. What would compell so many to murder others and take their own life within the span of a few minutes? Our culture has gotten to be so violent and disrespectful of human life. It's sick.

I'm in college myself, and with all of this going on coupled with the fact that I live in a conservative state where A LOT of people have guns, it makes me nervous. Most people wouldn't dream of hurting anybody with theirs, but then you get the crazies who think that the world has wronged them and it's everyone else's fault.

Is this the first school shootings this season ? I forget....

What...maybe 7 people died ? Tragic for sure...

But let's put this in perspective.....how many colleges are out there ? How many students are enrolled....

Several million ? Why be so fearful ?

Odds of even seeing a shot fired are infinitesimal !!! No sense in even coming out of the house....oh wait...there's a much larger chance of dying from a slip in the bathtub, so yeah...better get out of the house !!!!

Is this the first school shootings this season ? I forget....

What...maybe 7 people died ? Tragic for sure...

But let's put this in perspective.....how many colleges are out there ? How many students are enrolled....

Several million ? Why be so fearful ?

Odds of even seeing a shot fired are infinitesimal !!! No sense in even coming out of the house....oh wait...there's a much larger chance of dying from a slip in the bathtub, so yeah...better get out of the house !!!!

If you're comparing the death call against the population density, you might be right...but it's human beings dying here, NOT numbers!! :blink::blink:<_<

I have a cousin who attends the college of NIU. After a couple of tense minutes we got the OK that he was alright. Sadly one of his friends was murdered. My thoughts go out to the families that lost someone. Just completely terrible and an unnecessary act.

If you're comparing the death call against the population density, you might be right...but it's human beings dying here, NOT numbers!! :blink::blink:<_<

I understand that....I'm just conveying perspective.

How many will die in your state/province today in carwrecks ? And most just blink an eye at that and continue without regard...tailgate, drive agressively/speed and seem to defend the 'hurried' mentality....

Of course it's tragic that people die in school shootings or anywhere else....it's just THESE that get the most exposure....so people think it happens everyday, in every city...in every school district.

Of course it's tragic that people die in school shootings or anywhere else....it's just THESE that get the most exposure....so people think it happens everyday, in every city...in every school district.

But it's also a thing about America, you need to get rid of your guns or something, because in Australia we have never had a school massacre as far as I'm aware in our history, but there seems to be one in America every couple of years.

There always seems to be a siege mentally in America or a state of war, I mean after WW2 you went into The Korean War, then straight after that you guys went nuts over the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis, then when that died down, it was all guns blazing into Vietnam, then during the Carter Administration things quietened down a little bit but then it was suddenly Iran, then Reagan gets in and starts whipping up the Cold War again talking about "the evil empire" then we all thought we were going to die in a nuclear war again, then Lebanon and terrorism happened, then the cold war collapsed, but then we went straight into The Gulf War and Somalia, then it was back to Terrorism now Iraq and probably soon to be Iran again.

So throughout American history since at least the 1940's, America has always been engaged in some sort of high profile war, and a bit like in the Middle East, that constant state of being in war is drilled into the public consciousness so when there's peace time, fears have to be whipped up to keep the panic going.

I understand that....I'm just conveying perspective.

How many will die in your state/province today in carwrecks ? And most just blink an eye at that and continue without regard...tailgate, drive agressively/speed and seem to defend the 'hurried' mentality....

B) Blame that on the reporters out there!!

Archived