Led Zeppelin vs. Nirvana, which is finer?

hyrule

Proof that Creed was a great band if they would've had a different singer, see Alter Bridge.

I dig Nirvana, but in the end, I like Zeppelin more. Nirvana was pretty influential (not for me personally though) and I am grateful that they killed hair metal.

I've missed turns on highways because of bands like Tool and Zep.

What did nirvana influence that is still present today. and who did nirvana influence.

You know, it's just sad. Who knows what Nirvana would have done if Cobain hadn't passed away. I think they had a lot of pressure and heaped on them, and were sort of held responsible for the whole "Grunge" label and for the Seattle scene (even those those bands were SO different from each other). But we're talking about a few chords and a whole lotta pathos, here. I'm glad they came around, and were just dirty and simple and pissed off. It was time for that. And I'm glad rock took a different direction.

I know what you mean about the missed turns. Some bands are dangerous! B)

Nirvana is "downer" music. Something you listen to when you feel angry, rebellious or generally moody, imo. I think Bush was a better '90's band. Yeah, some of it is "downer" also but has more intricacy. Which Zeppelin has also. Someone earlier said something about Nirvana and three chords. Bush had more than that. This hard to explain. I can hear it but have a hard time putting it into words.

I've missed turns on highways because of bands like Tool and Zep.

What did nirvana influence that is still present today. and who did nirvana influence.

Quite a bit. They pretty much defined modern rock. It seems to me like most modern bands today either sound like Nirvana or Pearl Jam (Ten-era).

Motley Crue, Ratt, Dokken...I'll take any of those bands over Nirvana any day! At least hair metal was fun and those guys saluted Led Zeppelin as they should have.

Nirvana was the band that nearly killed rock n' roll. Ever since it's been a bunch of guys dressed like they were there to mow your yard playing a bunch of three chord, depressoid crap.

Led Zeppelin is the gold standard in rock, so to emphasize the point they were successful this guy has reached out and compared them to Nirvana. No_comparison.

I saw Ratt in january as I attended Motley Cruise from Miami to Cozumel. They were (Ratt) absolutely horroble and so was Skid Row. All pub bands are better than those two. Vince Neil performed Rock and Roll and Whole Lotta Love, well... hmm. However Mötley Crue was couple of years ago quite good actually, although I'm not a hair metal fan at all.

What comes to Nirvana, I saw them 1992, they were a huge disappointment and there was such a hype around them at that time. After I read Heavier than heaven I was disgusted . What a freak and looser Cobain was!

I think that Soungarden is pretty good, didn't see them live though, Pearl Jam was quite ok and Black Crowes excellent. I also like Wolfmother and Answer, I saw them year ago, they were great. But none of these come even close to Zeppelin.

My point is that there is no comparison really, mighty Zeppelin is the greatest.

For me, Nirvana's music is as disposable as the MTV-fueled hype which brought them their fifteen minutes of fame. One of the most overated bands of all time.

Pretty much sums up what I would have said. :beer:

Nods to the person who mentioned Jane's Addiction. Arguably the best and most innovative band of the 90s. Still no Zeppelin though. Face it folks, there never will be a band that moves the mountains the way Zeppelin did. One of a kind. The peak of rock-oriented music. It will never happen again. Enjoy what moves you. Enjoy the new. But you can't rewrite history. Sorry.

I'll never forget when Rolling Stone called the then recently deceased Cobain "the John Lennon of the 90s". They'll never get it right will they? :rolleyes:

That is unbelievable! They certainly never get it right in Rolling Stone. It is almost a crime to call Cobain Lennon of 90's. Good God!

You got that right sister! :beer:

And it was on the COVER! :rolleyes:

Pitiful comparison to say the least!

Pretty much sums up what I would have said. :beer:

Nods to the person who mentioned Jane's Addiction. Arguably the best and most innovative band of the 90s. Still no Zeppelin though. Face it folks, there never will be a band that moves the mountains the way Zeppelin did. One of a kind. The peak of rock-oriented music. It will never happen again. Enjoy what moves you. Enjoy the new. But you can't rewrite history. Sorry.

I'll never forget when Rolling Stone called the then recently deceased Cobain "the John Lennon of the 90s". They'll never get it right will they? :rolleyes:

Hell yes to the Jane's Addiction comment. Love them, and they really do have that "Zeppelinesque" sound at times. Just take their "Then She Did". The intro always reminds me of "What Is and What Should Never Be" for example. :D Anyway, yeah, Jane's Addiction is the band from that time period that I keep coming back to actually.

As far as the Nirvana vs. Zeppelin thing... :blink: There are no words. :lol: I'd say it's just because they have proven to be so popular over the years (Nirvana I mean) that they get the comparisons of greatness. I don't mind Nirvana, but God how overrated they've become imo.

The only 90s band even close to comparable to Zeppelin is Soundgarden.

.....who l must say IMO became one of the worst bands of that generation turning out terrible MTV based drivel. At the end they were totally unrecognisable from those earlier classics should as Loud Love and Hands All Over.

Grunge / hair metal - whats the difference !!! some good and bad in both genres.

Hell yes to the Jane's Addiction comment. Love them, and they really do have that "Zeppelinesque" sound at times. Just take their "Then She Did". The intro always reminds me of "What Is and What Should Never Be" for example. :D Anyway, yeah, Jane's Addiction is the band from that time period that I keep coming back to actually.

Oh Ocean! Ritual De Lo Habitual! Then She Did, coming out of Three Days! Gah! I have chills! Then Of Course! Of course this land is dangerous....followed by Classic Girl! Best fucking album of the nineties IMO!!! Here we go!!! Go and STOP!! Maaaaahhhhhh!!! :yay:

Oh Ocean! Ritual De Lo Habitual! Then She Did, coming out of Three Days! Gah! I have chills! Then Of Course! Of course this land is dangerous....followed by Classic Girl! Best fucking album of the nineties IMO!!! Here we go!!! Go and STOP!! Maaaaahhhhhh!!! :yay:

:lol:

I'm actually listening to Nothing's Shocking/"Up the Beach" right now because of this thread. 18.gif

Zeppelin will ALWAYS be TOPS in my Book ! B)

But.... I do have a sweet spot for Nirvana's NEVERMIND Album.

I consider NEVERMIND a record for the Ages. :D

I'm not going to get in to any Zeppelin vs. Nirvana discussion.

I don't buy the premise, in the first place.

Interesting points being made. I like Nirvana, but they are no Zeppelin, not even close!! I also liked some of the others bands that have been mentioned in this thread such as Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Jane's Addiction and hey I have a soft spot for alot of the hair metal too. I have always felt that Scott Stapp, the lead singer of Creed, was always trying to sound too much like Eddie Vedder. It got on my nerves at times!!

For me the Smashing Pumpkins are the best band of the 90s.

Today the Pumpkins are very anachronistic in a positive way...they are really into this extending Songs live thing just like Zeppelin was...

Of course they remain different bands...

I think Zeppelin and the Pumpkins (and of course Nirvana) represented their "zeitgeist"

Nowadays Zeppelin and the Pumpkins are exactly the opposite of the zeitgeist, which is very important, because for me all the new bands suck...

Ever considered why there were so many reunions in 07...?

Greets

Archived