Keith Richards belittles Zep

He was probably just cranky that day. If I looked like him, I'd be cranky everyday.

So he doesn't like 'Stairway', big deal. He has earned his right to his opinion.

Even still, Jimmy's guitar playing and songwriting capacity on his worst day is still miles ahead of everything Keith ever did with his talent on his best days.

I really do hate to take a swipe at Richards, and not at all because of this article, but the majority of my guitar students can play better than him after a few months of lessons, and that has been the story for the 20 years I have been teaching.

But that's showbiz. Image does carry at lot of weight

Eh, it's his opinion. It's his right. I just disagree. Still love the Stones, no matter what. Jagger could kill a baby, and I'd still listen to Honky Tonk Women.

:hysterical:

Essentially, I agree though. Keef talks shit, Robert talks shit, yada yada. So what? It's only rock and fucking roll!

He was probably just cranky that day. If I looked like him, I'd be cranky everyday.

So he doesn't like 'Stairway', big deal. He has earned his right to his opinion.

Even still, Jimmy's guitar playing and songwriting capacity on his worst day is still miles ahead of everything Keith ever did with his talent on his best days.

I really do hate to take a swipe at Richards, and not at all because of this article, but the majority of my guitar students can play better than him after a few months of lessons, and that has been the story for the 20 years I have been teaching.

But that's showbiz. Image does carry at lot of weight

The part about the him being cranky is too funny!! i almost chocked on my tea!

"I really do hate to take a swipe at Richards, and not at all because of this article, but the majority of my guitar students can play better than him after a few months of lessons, and that has been the story for the 20 years I have been teaching."

/quote]

And have any of your students you've been teaching for 20 years written a song that will last through the ages?

Keith Richards has, a lot of them. Thats something that can't be taught, pal.

This a poor attempt at "a swipe at Richards".

/quote]

And have any of your students you've been teaching for 20 years written a song that will last through the ages?

/quote]

It comes down to aesthetics really. I enjoy many of the songs Richards has written, and believe it or not wish he would sing more because he has a true, original rock and roll voice.

But his guitar playing is almost as intermediate as Neil Young's is. Both are great songwriters but neither are great guitarists.

But like I said. It all comes down to aesthetics.

I understand where your coming from, but in my opinion, anyone who can write a shitload of timeless songs on the guitar, is a great guitarist.

To me, Neil Young is a fucking genius on the guitar, instantly recognizable,

always emotional as hell.

I wish I would've come up with the intro lick to Honky Tonk Women.

I wish I would have come up with the intro to Gimmie Shelter, or Monkey Man,

or Can't Ya' Hear Me Knockin', or Street Fighting Man, or Brown Sugar....

Keith was the king of the intro's, man. No doubt about it.

They may have written something, but most likely have not -- but that's not what we are talking about here. Keith Richards for many years has believed and talked like he is the GOD of all that is music and rock and roll. All deluxe was doing was pointing out a serious flaw in Keith Richards --- which is that he is so heavily regarded but he cant play his instrument well at all. Its a very valid point. The guy can play like 2 licks and the same open G bar chord. Thats it.

Its not saying that he doesnt have any other talents --- he used to be able to come up with COOL shit on the guitar and was able to write some great songs, but as far as playing the instrument he is very weak.

You can say "yea, he's entitled to his opinion" (which he is--frankly, who cares if he likes STH or not??) and "he's just messing around" all day long -- but the fact is the guy is jealous of Zeppelin and has been for most of his life.

They may have written something, but most likely have not -- but that's not what we are talking about here. Keith Richards for many years has believed and talked like he is the GOD of all that is music and rock and roll. All deluxe was doing was pointing out a serious flaw in Keith Richards --- which is that he is so heavily regarded but he cant play his instrument well at all. Its a very valid point. The guy can play like 2 licks and the same open G bar chord. Thats it.

Its not saying that he doesnt have any other talents --- he used to be able to come up with COOL shit on the guitar and was able to write some great songs, but as far as playing the instrument he is very weak.

You can say "yea, he's entitled to his opinion" (which he is--frankly, who cares if he likes STH or not??) and "he's just messing around" all day long -- but the fact is the guy is jealous of Zeppelin and has been for most of his life.

Well, Keith Richards seems to have learned to play the guitar good enough to make quite an impact in the world of music, no?

For a guy who can only "play like 2 licks and the same open G bar chord", he's done pretty damn well, wish I was as "weak" as Keith Richards.

Richards could only dream of playing the guitar as good as Page. Dont really know how insulting Id rate that comment. But for him to say anything negative about Jagger or Zeppelin kind of pisses me off. He looks like a fucking zombie. Do they trash him? he would be nothing without Jagger, who is and always was the true star of the Rolling Stones.

Dude, we have to have a talk. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Richards.....who is and always was the true star of the Rolling Stones.

...and always will be.

I saw this in another thread;and it also fits here:

This it's what all the hate is about!? What a fucking joke!!So;Keith Richards takes a shot at "Stairway"!?Oh,the fucking horror!!! "Like,oh my god,he hates the greatest fucking song ever!!" (Just for the record,so do I.) :blink:

...and he took a shot at Robert!? I can't take it, and I'm sure Robert Plant is going to go into hiding over the whole thing. Kiss a Zep reunion goodbye,and it's all Keiths' fault!! :D:D:D

Jesus Christ on a Big Wheel people; this kind of back-and-forth smack-talk has been going on since Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry (look it up).

Newsflash: Believe it or not, there are people in the world that don't like Led Zeppelin,and there's people that don't like The Rolling Stones either (just not as many B) ), and I don't give a fuck either way, I know what I like-and love-and no one flippant comment is going to change that.

It must have served some type of purpose however, because it got people talking, and I respect Keith a fuck of a lot more than the brown-nosing motherfuckers that say they loved the reunion show, and love Led Zeppelin, in order to make themselves look better. At least Keith says what he really thinks.

BTW; his comments about Elton John were said in response to Elton basically calling him a monkey onstage. These guys are going to talk shit back-and-forth to one another, deal with it.

As far as his comments about drugs being hypocritical,here's a thought: Wouldn't you take him more seriously, as someone who's been through it, than someone who just read about it in a fuckin' book? I know I would.

Lighten the fuck up people;it's only rock-n-roll.....

.....but I like it. B)

If we measured true greatness in pure talent on an instrument, guys like Steve Vai would be considered the most influential. But let's take a look at those bands which are considered "the best of the best": The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Clapton, Dylan, Springsteen. Some can play their instruments "better" than others. But what makes each and every one of these bands great? THE SONG. The Beatles weren't the best band because they were the the most prolific players. It's because they wrote brilliant music. Led Zeppelin indeed consists of great musicians, but they would've been NOTHING, yes I repeat NOTHING, if not for the bad-ass songs they created. The same goes with guys like Hendrix and Clapton. For Dylan and Springsteen, were they great singers? No. Were they great players? Not really. So why are they great? The songs they wrote. They're timeless. I've seen many a great guitarist or a singer that couldn't write themselves out of a paper bag. That's what makes greatness. Can you create a piece of music that people will remember for eternity. Zeppelin's done it. The Stones have done it. And that is the one true definition of greatness. Especially when they've done it over and over and over as these two bands did.

Archived