What are you watching on TV now?

roblindblad

I just watched the movie The Devil Inside, which is about The Rossi Files.

OMFG ........ scared the holy crap out of me.

I couldn't move from the tv, I was glued ...... and scared shitless at the same time.

It's been a long, long time since a movie had that effect on me panic-emoticon_zps8a666b33.jpg

The only effect this movie had on me was asking for my money back. One of the WORST MOVIE ENDINGS EVER! Plus, after Blair Witch and the Paranormal crap, the "found-footage" genre is played out. The whole movie is a sham and merely a marketing tool for their stupid website.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, on Sony Movie Channel

Now we're talking...good call zepscoda. It is a measure of Stanley Kubrick's greatness that it is impossible to pick his best film; there are so many great ones to choose from...Paths of Glory, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, even the underrated Barry Lyndon. Dr. Strangelove is also on the short list...it's perfect from beginning to end, with nary a word or action out of place. Great cast full of great guys, too! Guys with great, memorable faces: Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Keenan Wynn, Slim Pickens, James Earl Jones, Sterling Hayden!

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! THIS is the War Room!"

:hysterical:

Terps game turned out okay :)

Then I watched The Apartment. Never get tired of that movie.

Now we're watching Game Change. Wow

ebk, I know you like "West Side Story"...TCM is airing it at 11:15pm EST. tonight. One of the greatest musicals ever...and on a side note, I got to meet George Chakiris a couple weeks ago. Man, he still looks good...especially for a man his age.

Watching LA Kings @ Vancouver hockey and Arizona @ UCLA college basketball right now.

Edited by Strider

ebk, I know you like "West Side Story"...TCM is airing it at 11:15pm EST. tonight. One of the greatest musicals ever...abd on a side note, I got to meet George Chakiris a couple weeks ago. Man, he still looks good...especially for a man his age.

I love George Chakiris! Not only fabulous in WSS, but I can't take my eyes off of him in White Christmas. So glad he's still out and about and looking good!

If I may pass along a recommendation or two...

Two great movies on TCM tonight, including one that is rarely shown as it was undeservedly skewered upon its release in 1981.

The perennial classic "Annie Hall" is on at 8pm EST...this is the movie I was going to see all thru 1977 while other kids were lining up to see "Star Wars". I was so ecstatic when it won Best Picture and Diane Keaton won Best Actress at the Academy Awards for that year in March 1978.

More importantly, at midnight EST is the very interesting and controversial in its day "Heaven's Gate", a very long(3 hours and 40 minutes) and strange film about the Johnson County Massacre in 1890's Wyoming, where cattle ranchers slaughtered immigrant farmers. At the heart of the story is a love triangle between Kris Kristofferson, Isabelle Huppert(in her first English-speaking role), and Christopher Walken. Add in the always intetesting John Hurt and Sam Waterson.

The beauty of the Wyoming countryside is almost overwhelmed by the beauty of Isabelle Huppert. My god she is ravishing and bewitching in this film. The cinematography is fantastic, as is the score. There are several long dancing scenes...one at the beginning during a Harvard class graduation celebration, where there are some hypnotic waltz sequences, the camera whirling with the dancing couples. Very reminiscent of Coppola and his wedding scenes in "The Godfather".

It's not perfect...there are flaws. It is nearly a half hour into the film before you get a grasp on the characters and their purpose. Some of the dialogue can be hard to hear during the crowd scenes, which may or may not have been director Michael Cimino's intention. Ah yes, Michael Cimino...this was his first film after making "The Deer Hunter", which won a bunch of Oscars in 1979.

Yes, "Heaven's Gate" went over-budget, but to read the reviews, you would have thought Cimino raped the Mother Superior and absconded with the church funds. Crap like "Battleship" or "The Hulk" didn't get the hate that "Heaven's Gate" received.

This is the original director's cut that TCM is showing. After the film's first screening, the studio United Artists took the film away from Cimino and cut it down to a couple hours. Criterion recently invited Cimino to restore it for a DVD release, and I saw this version when it had its L.A. premiere at the American Cinematheque. I was blown away...this was NOT the butchered movie I saw in 1981. Though it takes a while to get going and the story to reveal itself, the rewards and visual poetry of the film outweigh any of the flaws and eventually the film achieves a kind of grandeur and emotional weight that sneaks up on you.

Obviously, depending on where you live it may not be convenient to watch it at the time TCM is airing it, but if you have room on your Tivo/DVR for a nearly 4-hour movie, "Heaven's Gate" is well worth a look.

Just don't try to watch it while your daughter is blasting Justin Bieber or the kids are fighting over the Xbox. It requires patience and a long attention span.

It is time to give "Heaven's Gate" a fresh look without the prejudice and vitriol that poisoned the atmosphere back in 1981. Cimino was hated by a lot of lefty critics, who despised his "Deer Hunter" for supposedly being anti-Vietnamese.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Right now, we're watching a local PBS program about The Bayou, the late, great club down on the Georgetown waterfront. I believe I saw Billy Joel there back in the day. I also believe I saw a couple other shows there. But my memory is really hazy...

Strider, I've never seen Heaven's Gate, but I certainly remember the jokes... Too bad it's on so late. Even I can't stay up until 4 on a school night... I'll check to see if it will be on at any other times.

I love George Chakiris! Not only fabulous in WSS, but I can't take my eyes off of him in White Christmas. So glad he's still out and about and looking good!

I tried to PM you the photo of George, ebk, but you cannot PM photos on this forum, so I'll post it here for you to see. The occasion was the opening night of the Michel Legrand retrospective at the American Cinematheque. Legendary French composer Michel Legrand and his wife were there for the screening of "The Young Girls of Rochefort" and "Five Days in June", his directorial debut.

Because George Chakiris and Gene Kelly both are in "Young Girls of Rochefort", we got a special treat with the added appearances of George himself and Gene's widow, Patricia Kelly. Here are three photos of George(on the left) with Michel and his wife Catherine.

post-1470-0-00737900-1362385604_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-32310800-1362385664_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-07350200-1362385736_thumb.jp

Here's one with Patricia Kelly presenting a gift to Michel.

post-1470-0-96059600-1362386035_thumb.jp

Right now, we're watching a local PBS program about The Bayou, the late, great club down on the Georgetown waterfront. I believe I saw Billy Joel there back in the day. I also believe I saw a couple other shows there. But my memory is really hazy...

I don't like quoting myself, but... just finished watching this show. There's a hilarious story about Plant going to to club to see...someone...and he and/or his entourage getting in some huge fight. I'll watch it again at some point and try to remember the details.

Really good show. I can't find it on the stations website to stream, though... too bad.

Thanks so much for these. Sounds like a wonderful evening! George looks great!!

It was a great night. Apologies for the darkness, E...my phone camera doesn't have a flash.

Watching the end of Celtics @ Philly right now, waiting for Lakers @ OKC to start on TNT.