I'm puttin' this out here now...

nirvana

I'd like to suggest another idea. Free concert in Golden Gate Park. Why? Two reasons.

First, everyone knows Led Zeppelin's American Farewell was the Wrong Goodbye. All the chaos concerning the brawl in Oakland is not how that era should have ended. So bring them on home to the Bay Area to bring the balance back.

Second, if Robert won't do it David Coverdale's place is only 90 minutes away.

"San Francisco, how da fookin' 'ell are da children of the sun?"

-- David Coverdale of Led Zeppelin, October 4th 2008, Golden Gate Park

I'll do you one better. Since NYC and SF are on the extreme fringes of this great country(geographically, too) then I would like the mighty Zep to compromise and meet in the middle. Yes, in the heart of America, the "Gateway to the West" St. Louis-fucking-Missouri, baby. Right at the base of the Arch...I like the idea...

You guys are all getting way too impatient for my tastes. 20 million people wanted to fly five thousand miles and spend a substantial part of their lives' savings to see a certain band for maybe one last time. After being starved for this long I can understand it, but I am really afraid of things getting ugly, because everyone would be afraid of never seeing them live again. Solution: Either do a world tour after recording a c.d. of new material---or pack it in and say forget it. I still say it is too dangerous to do a "one time" free outdoor concert.

I'll do you one better. Since NYC and SF are on the extreme fringes of this great country(geographically, too) then I would like the mighty Zep to compromise and meet in the middle. Yes, in the heart of America, the "Gateway to the West" St. Louis-fucking-Missouri, baby. Right at the base of the Arch...I like the idea...

But Chicago has a better airport and more hotels. So if you're going down south there's no work for you if you're going north Chicago.

The first thing that came to mind was the Styx / REO Speedwagon live cd "Arch Allies"!

Tell you what, we'll use the arch to stage the official announcement. If the blimp passes thru headed east it'll be in New York but if it's headed West it'll be in San Francisco. You

get to the concert either way because your going to be responsible for arranging this

dramatic "announcement".

Solution: Either do a world tour after recording a c.d. of new material---or pack it in and say forget it. I still say it is too dangerous to do a "one time" free outdoor concert.

I'd hazard a guess roughly 200,000 of the 20 million actually had the means to attend.

Let's face it, the site took 20 million hits because it was a free lottery. A pipe dream.

Speaking of pipe dreams, there's one way this free outdoor concert could possibly work: free live global simulcast. Next question is who wants to pay to make this happen? The

host city should have to pony up some cash. Sponsors, etc.

What venue/gathering place would you use?

I ve been thinking of a place, but i don't know where.

The First Midwest Amphitheater should be the best. It holds 28,000. It's outdoor, but maybe 12,000 seat's, the rest is lawn seats on a hill. (like an amphitheater) Before they change the P.A it sounded horrible, after the adjust it to make it quieter, it got worse.

The United Center. Holds 23,500 which include about 1,500 behind the stage seats. I'm not sure on the sound, but usually the biggest act go there. No bad seat's

Solider Field holds 60,000 for most concerts, held up to 250,00 for church services. Outdoor. sound would be good. Probably the smallest football type stadium to hold concerts, so sight line would be good. 70,000 people for a zep concert, thats a zep concert.

Chicago Land Speedway. holds 75,000 i think it could definitely hold another 25,000 in front of the grandstands, maybe alot more if you wanna go real big. No one ever played there before.

So it depends. but i think they could definitely sell out solider Field at least twice. (Dave Matthews did it) but i think the stones did one at soldier and one or two at Chicago stadium one year. The new thing is to play at the baseball stadiums, but that is just a gimmick.

One off show in America, 150,000 at the speedway, one time stop in Chicago, soldier field, I would like to zep do something spacial other than the united center, which Hannah Montana sold out, even if it isn't in Chicago.

But then agian, would Zep want to put that much pressure on them of playing a large show. i would just assume they would follow the Page/Plant tour with more stops in NYC,LA,and Chicago. anywhere else you could just do one show like New Orleans at the superdome. NYC,LA, and Chicago could grab all the fans within 600 miles.

:o No Super Dome, maybe arena next door

Arena.gif

Better yet Tad Gormley Stadium ( City Park Stadium ) seating for about 26,500 went to many a concert there and the sound is amazing. Situated amongst the oaks of City Park one of the largest urban parks in the country 1300+ acres. Check out the link

http://neworleanscitypark.com/tadstadium.html

I do not think so Steve, I have no more to say on this subject, it is closed,as far as I am concerned.

...ahh, but the "Led Zeppelin - Central Park" push is just beginning for us. New York, New York!!

• 2 weeks later...

Central Park SummerStage, a program of City Parks Foundation, presents performances of outstanding artistic quality, free of charge, to serve the diverse communities of New York City.

The artists represent a breadth of genres and cultures and perform in an outdoor setting accessible to people of all ages and backgrounds.

Central Park SummerStage strives to develop audiences' deepening appreciation for contemporary, traditional, and emerging artists as well as the communities in which these artists originate.

Great idea, Lee. Let's give Mayor Slay a call!

But Chicago has a better airport and more hotels. So if you're going down south there's no work for you if you're going north Chicago.

Hmmm, we need a viable mid-Atlantic option ... VA would be perfect (John Paul Jones arena?!) ...

free live global simulcast.

I'm all for that as long as the show were aimed at some sort of charity. Like another Live Earth sort of thing. If Peter Grant were still around, fine, but Robert has become too self conscious to allow Led Zeppelin to be promoted on the basis of ITSELF anymore. It has to be some kind of cause.

Robert has become too self conscious to allow Led Zeppelin to be promoted on the basis of ITSELF anymore. It has to be some kind of cause.

Good point, and I think I've got just the idea. Led Zeppelin to perform on the waterfront

in Rio De Janiero with all proceeds going to benefit the ABC Trust. Imagine 1,500,000 in

attendance at Led Zeppelin's first ever South American gig. You want metaphysical, it

doesn't get any bigger than this! The Stones played to over a million there -- it can be

done!

Good point, and I think I've got just the idea. Led Zeppelin to perform on the waterfront

in Rio De Janiero with all proceeds going to benefit the ABC Trust. Imagine 1,500,000 in

attendance at Led Zeppelin's first ever South American gig. You want metaphysical, it

doesn't get any bigger than this! The Stones played to over a million there -- it can be

done!

I like it Steve, I like it! Central Park can be a warm-up to RDJ Fest -08!

Archived