I'm puttin' this out here now...

nirvana

Central Park, NYC, NY.

THE Concert for Free, for the Fans, no bullshit Promoters.

If anyone is familiar with the Concerts in Central Park, NY of past years (Simon and Garfunkal, Diana Ross, Dave Matthews Band, Garth Brooks, Elton John, to name a few) on the Great Lawn, you know that this concert can happen.

Led Zeppelin in their home away from home, New York City, playing on "The Lawn" for free, to thousands upon thousands of people, with the NY Skyline in the background and birds in the Air...it could happen if we want it to...dreamsm.jpg

Zeppelin doing a free concert, which means they would have to pay for the cost of the show, which means Page would have to pay for something! I would have to agree that Los Angeles is the mighty zep home in the states. Didn't Jimmy owned a place in Malibu once?

I think Bill Graham said it best about free concerts. He was opposed to them because of the chaos they bring. Los Angeles may beg to differ with New York being called Zep's

home away from home.

Oh yeah! Especially since Jimmy said they had cut their concerts short to check out the clubs in L.A.!

Zeppelin doing a free concert, which means they would have to pay for the cost of the show, which means Page would have to pay for something! I would have to agree that Los Angeles is the mighty zep home in the states. Didn't Jimmy owned a place in Malibu once?

Jimmy & Robert rented homes in the Malibu Beach colony in August 1975 to begin writing their next album. However, after just a few weeks Robert found the drive to Studio Instrument Rentals (SIR) studios at 6465 Sunset Boulevard to take too long. I believe he checked in to the Continental Hyatt House on Sunset Boulevard at that point.

Oh yeah! Especially since Jimmy said they had cut their concerts short to check out the clubs in L.A.!

They did love those clubs but never at the expense of the concerts, which more often than not were epic. The only LA concert I can recall which was cut short was done so for a legitimate reason -- Jimmy had a fever of 104 degrees -- so the second set at the

Whiskey a Go-Go on January 2nd 1969 was cancelled. Jimmy probably became ill from

traveling all night thru a blizzard before flying down from Seattle.

Central Park, NYC, NY.

If anyone is familiar with the Concerts in Central Park, NY of past years (Simon and Garfunkal, Diana Ross, Dave Matthews Band, Garth Brooks, Elton John, to name a few) on the Great Lawn, you know that this concert can happen.

Led Zeppelin in their home away from home, New York City, playing on "The Lawn" for free, to thousands upon thousands of people, with the NY Skyline in the background and birds in the Air...it could happen if we want it to...dreamsm.jpg

Uh, a lot of things would need to happen, the most important...the band has to decide to want to do it. :)

I came here to say this. But wait, where is the home? London? Birmingham? Does this make New York the home from home from home from home? :huh:

Many, but not all, would say England is home and LA is their home away from home.

It's highly subjective and you'll never have consensus. Montreux really was home

away from home as tax exiles.

I came here to say this. But wait, where is the home? London? Birmingham? Does this make New York the home from home from home from home? :huh:

Many, but not all, would say England was home and LA their home away from home.

However, Montreux really was their home away from home as tax exiles. New York

is right up there as a favored haunt too. It's highly subjective and there will never

be consensus.

In spite of the fact that several big name groups have done this, I think the safety/security concerns for this would out-- weigh any good that would come of it. Even if I am wrong about that, I don't think you will ever see L.Z. do this.

In spite of the fact that several big name groups have done this, I think the safety/security concerns for this would out-- weigh any good that would come of it. Even if I am wrong about that, I don't think you will ever see L.Z. do this.

They would do it....if the timing is right. Central Park wouldn't have a problem with security, in fact, the Park would be able to handle any of the logistics involved.

I'm hoping they read this and decide that this concert would be the "fan" event that they want.

It CAN happen, and I pray they do it.

As far as their "Home away from Home" , yes, I agree that L.A. had its allure...kinda like a new whip does for a BDSM artist...

However their nights at Madison Square Garden and their love of the NY nightlife (not as sody as the LA nights) plus the fact that Swan Song records was located at 444 Madison Ave in NY, and Ahmet was king in the City, made New York mighty comfortable for them.

As far as their "Home away from Home" , yes. I agree that L.A. had its allure...kinda like a new whip does for a BDSM artist...

However their nights at Madison Square Garden and their love of the NY nightlife (not as sody as the LA nights) plus the fact that Swan Song records was located at 444 Madison Ave in NY, and Ahmet was king in the City, made New York migty comfortable for them.

January 26th 1975: Today's St. Louis, MO date was postponed; while a bedridden Plant suffered with the flu in Chicago, Grant, Page, Bonham & Jones flew to Los Angeles to party. They rejoined Plant in Greensboro on January 29th and turned-in one of the worst performances in the band's history.

January 26th 1975: Today's St. Louis, MO date was postponed; while a bedridden Plant suffered with the flu in Chicago, Grant, Page, Bonham & Jones flew to Los Angeles to party. They rejoined Plant in Greensboro on January 29th and turned-in one of the worst performances in the band's history.

There's no doubt that the partying that went on in L.A. within the Zep camp delved into the darker parts of "entertainment". It (the L.A. Scene) probably was responsible for the introduction of heavy coke and heroin use amongst the members of the Zep stronghold.

I believe the scene was much lighter in N.Y.

Central Park '08.....everyone together...OOOMMMMM....

There's no doubt that the partying that went on in L.A. within the Zep camp delved into the darker parts of "entertainment". It (the L.A. Scene) probably was responsible for the introduction of heavy coke and heroin use amongst the members of the Zep stronghold.

I believe the scene was much lighter in N.Y.

Central Park '08.....everyone together...OOOMMMMM....

i like the idea of a free concert in the park. it would be something for all generations to share and a wonderful memory. nice idea nirvana. :)

i like the idea of a free concert in the park. it would be something for all generations to share and a wonderful memory. nice idea nirvana. :)

It can be done..thanks for your support.

I'm going to do what I can to get this idea out there and make it happen.

It can be done..thanks for your support.

I'm going to do what I can to get this idea out there and make it happen.

I'd like to suggest another idea. Free concert in Golden Gate Park. Why? Two reasons.

First, everyone knows Led Zeppelin's American Farewell was the Wrong Goodbye. All the chaos concerning the brawl in Oakland is not how that era should have ended. So bring them on home to the Bay Area to bring the balance back.

Second, if Robert won't do it David Coverdale's place is only 90 minutes away.

"San Francisco, how da fookin' 'ell are da children of the sun?"

-- David Coverdale of Led Zeppelin, October 4th 2008, Golden Gate Park

I'd like to suggest another idea. Free concert in Golden Gate Park. Why? Two reasons.

First, everyone knows Led Zeppelin's American Farewell was the Wrong Goodbye. All the chaos concerning the brawl in Oakland is not how that era should have ended. So bring them on home to the Bay Area to bring the balance back.

I know you are joking Steve. To be honest I wouldn't mind Jimmy working with David again. With no relation to Zep of course.

Great idea Steve! That would be my second place to host their American farewell...However Coverdale's place can be 2 minutes away and I would still not suggest him as a replacement...

but, Johnette Napolitano's home is also close by...her and Jimmy would kick Robert and Allison's ass down the US1 highway...

Central Park, NYC, NY.

That's a nice idea nirvana.....and a lovely picture. :)

Great idea Steve! That would be my second place to host their American farewell...However Coverdale's place can be 2 minutes away and I would still not suggest him as a replacement...

but, Johnette Napolitano's home is also close by...her and Jimmy would kick Robert and Allison's ass down the US1 highway...

I'm liking it but you gotta go with David Coverdale if Robert won't show.

How about a "Get Your Ass Kicked on Route 66" package tour? Plant/Krauss open for

Led Snake. Imagine the tension between the singers backstage. THIS is rock n' roll!

I think Bill Graham said it best about free concerts. He was opposed to them because of the chaos they bring. Los Angeles may beg to differ with New York being called Zep's

home away from home.

Don't forget The Big Easy :D

Archived