Toughest Zep to play

jabe

Achilles is shit-hard with all those overdubs,what about TSRTS?That also has plenty of overdubs,so does NFBM.

Let's see,on vocals it's easily Immigrant Song,on Keys,Carouselambra & No Quarter aren't exactly walks in the park,for bass i'd have to say ALS as well,and as for drums,i dunno.

Achilles is shit-hard with all those overdubs,what about TSRTS?That also has plenty of overdubs,so does NFBM.

Let's see,on vocals it's easily Immigrant Song,on Keys,Carouselambra & No Quarter aren't exactly walks in the park,for bass i'd have to say ALS as well,and as for drums,i dunno.

Well back in my teens when I got a drum set, I thought, "Hooray! Now I can play Zeppelin!" :hysterical::bagoverhead: It took me a whole fucking day to get down Misty Mountain and after that I was afraid to try again for while. Then it took another whole fucking day to get down Levee, and I never tried again. I thought those would be the easy ones! Good god.

Well back in my teens when I got a drum set, I thought, "Hooray! Now I can play Zeppelin!" :hysterical::bagoverhead: It took me a whole fucking day to get down Misty Mountain and after that I was afraid to try again for while. Then it took another whole fucking day to get down Levee, and I never tried again. I thought those would be the easy ones! Good god.

:hysterical: Poor,naive Suz!Have you ever listened to MMH or Levee?The Misty Mountain Hop drums are far too complex,and the Levee drumming is so amazingly heavy and mechanical that a poor novice could not possibly hope to master it,but the really hard ones are:

ALS

Kashmir (Even Bonzo fucked this one up after having played it for 5 years)

Good Times,Bad Times

Communication Breakdown

How Many More Times

Four Sticks

And many more,Levee and Misty would be up there!

The first Zep song i learnt was Communication Breakdown,followed by Whole Lotta Love,nice and easy for a guitarist,the strumming pattern in CB was a big help for a budding young guitarist,and Whole Lotta Love is nice and repetitive,i still get a little dismayed when i have to play Immigrant song,it looks so easy,it's just two notes,technically one note played a few times,then up an octave,but that rhythm!Of course,i can play it now,but still...

Heartbreaker is a darn fun riff,nice and easy,i also like to play the bass riff from Lemon Song,Black Dog is quite hard considering the stop-start rhythm,and almost impossible to play in a band because of all the different rhythms,R & R is nice and easy,Stairway is hard enough,going through the fingerpicking at first,one is left soothing ones blisters and cursing Jimmy Page to the bowels of hell.

:hysterical: Poor,naive Suz!Have you ever listened to MMH or Levee?The Misty Mountain Hop drums are far too complex,and the Levee drumming is so amazingly heavy and mechanical that a poor novice could not possibly hope to master it,but the really hard ones are:

ALS

Good Times,Bad Times

Communication Breakdown

How Many More Times

Four Sticks

The first Zep song i learnt was Communication Breakdown,followed by Whole Lotta Love,nice and easy for a guitarist,the strumming pattern in CB was a big help for a budding young guitarist,and Whole Lotta Love is nice and repetitive,i still get a little dismayed when i have to play Immigrant song,it looks so easy,it's just two notes,technically one note played a few times,then up an octave,but that rhythm!Of course,i can play it now,but still...

Heartbreaker is a darn fun riff,nice and easy,i also like to play the bass riff from Lemon Song,Black Dog is quite hard considering the stop-start rhythm,and almost impossible to play in a band because of all the different rhythms,R & R is nice and easy,Stairway is hard enough,going through the fingerpicking at first,one is left soothing ones blisters and cursing Jimmy Page to the bowels of hell.

Four Sticks isn't hard....without a drumset, that is :P

Four Sticks isn't hard....without a drumset, that is :P

Well regardless,it requires Four Sticks to be played,hence the title,and it's very difficult to make noise with four drum sticks and no kit :P

I suppose no drums didn't stop Ringo Starr,he was so crap that they got the producer to play the drums on their first record! :P

Well regardless,it requires Four Sticks to be played,hence the title,and it's very difficult to make noise with four drum sticks and no kit :P

I suppose no drums didn't stop Ringo Starr,he was so crap that they got the producer to play the drums on their first record! :P

So crap! :lol: I can play four sticks with my hands on my lap. It's like a drum corps warmup.

Jesus Christ, how the hell did he do that?

So crap! :lol: I can play four sticks with my hands on my lap. It's like a drum corps warmup.

Jesus Christ, how the hell did he do that?

(A real conversation between John Lennon and a fan)

Fan:Y'know,Ringo isn't exactly the best drummer in the world."

John:Best drummer in the world?He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!

:lol: Ringo basically fucked up the recording so instead of breaking his poor little heart,they went behind his back to the producer and got him to play the drum track,then bud it over Ringo's take,that's how bad Ringo was. :P

:lol: Ringo basically fucked up the recording so instead of breaking his poor little heart,they went behind his back to the producer and got him to play the drum track,then bud it over Ringo's take,that's how bad Ringo was. :P

That's a funny story.

Unfortunately, it's pure BS.

The Beatles' producer, George Martin, never played drums on any of their recordings (I don't think he plays drums at all).

When they passed their audition for EMI they still had their original drummer, Pete Best, in the band. Doubts were expressed as to whether he'd be good enough in the long run. This led to them kicking him out & replacing them with Ringo, who was an old friend & played with Rory Storm & The Hurricanes.

George Martin had booked session drummer Andy White to play on Love Me Do (the first single) as a backup. They recorded two versions of the song - one with White, one with Starr. In the event one was released as a single & the other was put on the album. (Ringo played tambourine on the Andy White version, so if you can hear tambourine you're hearing that version, if there's no tambourine Ringo is on drums).

After that, Andy White was gone & the drums are Ringo. There are, IIRC, two songs that McCartney or Lennon played drums on (later in their career) because Ringo was either ill or late.

Other than that it's all Ringo.

As for the crack about "...not even the best drummer in The Beatles..." yup - Lennon really did say that. It's well recorded that he had a mean streak & a vicious sense of humour, & no one was spared, not even his bandmates.

ALS

Good Times,Bad Times

Communication Breakdown

How Many More Times

Four Sticks

maybe bron y aur stomp,good times bad times,dazed and confused,communication breakdown on the guitar.on drums kashmir,since ive been lovin you and the end of black dog(madison square garden)

• 4 weeks later...
There are, IIRC, two songs that McCartney or Lennon played drums on (later in their career) because Ringo was either ill or late.

"the ballad of john & yoko" had mcartney on drums, as only john & paul feature on the song. i believe there was also an earlier song (maybe off 'white') that also had mcartney playing drums, possibly from the time ringo "left" the band

After that, Andy White was gone & the drums are Ringo. There are, IIRC, two songs that McCartney or Lennon played drums on (later in their career) because Ringo was either ill or late.

Yeah George Martin didn't want to take the chance on Ringo, as he hadn't heard him yet, so he went ahead with Andy White (who I believe was paid £9 for the session, the standard musicians rate at the time for a 3 hour session. The special musicians rate was £27, for those people who played more unique instruments, mostly classical)

Paul did indeed play drums on 'Dear Prudence' (on the White Album) and also played some of the drums on 'Back In The USSR' (a composite drum track was used on that song with John, Paul and George all having a go on the kit). This was in 1968, when Ringo quit the band for 2 weeks because he was unhappy, and in his absence they recorded those 2 songs.

George Martin didn't play drums, but he did play the Piano solos on 'In My Life' and 'Lovely Rita'. They actually asked Engineer Geoff Emerick if he wanted to play piano on 'Lovely Rita' after he explained to them they could get a honky-tonk sound by wiggling the tape machine's capstan, but he was too nervous to say yes.

But it's Chris Thomas who played the harpsichord on 'Piggies' from the White Album.

Nicky Hopkins even played on a Beatles track, the single version of 'Revolution.'

Brian Jones played saxophone on 'You Know My Name (look up the number)' the B-side to 'Let It Be' (I think).

Sheila Bromberg was the first woman to play on a Beatles recording. Her starring moment was the harp on 'She's Leaving Home'.

George played bass on tracks like 'Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight'

and Paul played lead guitar on 'Taxman' and 'Good Morning Good Morning'.

On drums of course "The crunge" followed by"Good times bad times"

And on guitar i would say the fingerpicking-songs like "White summer" "bron y aur stomp". Then "Rain song" "Stairway" "Achilles" and perhaps "Wanton song". But the most difficult in Zeppelin is to bring all instruments together. So i think Black dog is one of the most difficult songs for the whole band (because of the breaks).

actually rain song isn't hard to play at all (well, at least technically, playing it musically is different). I don't play the guitar but i looked up the tabs to the Rain Song one day, grabbed my brother's guitar and learned to play it in just 2 days. it's really easy because of the tuning Jimmy used. it's so convenient.

i agree that Black Dog is the hardest song to play as a band. that took amazing skill. but the cool thing is, when they got a little off during performances, it just made it sound really interesting and cool. but most bands wouldn't be able to attempt it.

Archived