Stairway To Heaven

was Robert actually reluctant to sing "Stairway" because we all know he was at Atlantic Records 40th

but what about this reunion and why didnt he say "does anybody remember laughter?".

was Robert actually reluctant to sing "Stairway" because we all know he was at Atlantic Records 40th

but what about this reunion and why didnt he say "does anybody remember laughter?".

I'm sure he was, but not as reluctant as before. I guess he was thinking, "Well, it's for Ahmet, so I guess I'll sing it for him."

And "Does anybody remember laughter?" probably wouldn't have sounded appropriate with the key they were in. Or maybe Robert wanted to test the audience a bit to see if they would respond.

why didnt he say "does anybody remember laughter?".

I think it would've been too cheesy and predictable if he had said it. It didn't seem right when he said it at Live Aid. I'm not sure if he said it at the Atlantic reunion. But I thought the hand gesture he did in place of it at the 02 was awesome and appropriate. :)

And it was the last time he's said it and the cheesiest. "Does anybody............................ remember............................. LAUGHTER?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!"

I know I couldnt figure out why he said it like that.

He didnt say it but the audience at the front of the arena did.....Robert seemed amused by them joining in! :D

He may have not wanted to perform them at Live Aid and Atlantic, but he did, and he did a crappy job of it. So this wasn't done out of any love he has for the song. It was his way of fixing those past trainwrecks for posterity. The song was played matter-of-factly, in the middle of the set, without any overblown embellishment, irony, or self-parody. They took the song back from what pop culture has made of it, deflated it, and repositioned itself in a way Zep probably always wanted it to be in the first place--a song that definitely deserves in the set but not God's gift to humanity.

He may have not wanted to perform them at Live Aid and Atlantic, but he did, and he did a crappy job of it. So this wasn't done out of any love he has for the song. It was his way of fixing those past trainwrecks for posterity. The song was played matter-of-factly, in the middle of the set, without any overblown embellishment, irony, or self-parody. They took the song back from what pop culture has made of it, deflated it, and repositioned itself in a way Zep probably always wanted it to be in the first place--a song that definitely deserves in the set but not God's gift to humanity.

YOU ARE WRONG TO PRESUME TO SPEAK ON BEHALF OF LZ FALSE AND NOT TRUE YOU DON`T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SYING

In the recording.. it sounded like Page just started playing it.

It would be really bad of Plant to stop Page halfway through the riff.. I mean, can you imagine that?

"No Jimmy.. we're not playing Stairway - sorry folks!"

Like it or not, its their signature song in many ways. To me it is the song of all songs. the Mona Lisa of music. Rolling Stone Magazine said in an arcticle back in the 70s or early 80s that people will listen to Stairway to Heaven 100 yrs from now. No doubt about it. It makes me laugh that so many on this site just want to shove it aside for other songs that are truly great, as all their songs are, but dont seem to realize how special this song really is.

It would be really bad of Plant to stop Page halfway through the riff.. I mean, can you imagine that?

Not true, sorry. It was on the setlist...

led-zeppelin-colour30.jpg

Dave Grohl and Scarlet Page

Like it or not, its their signature song in many ways. To me it is the song of all songs. the Mona Lisa of music. Rolling Stone Magazine said in an arcticle back in the 70s or early 80s that people will listen to Stairway to Heaven 100 yrs from now. No doubt about it. It makes me laugh that so many on this site just want to shove it aside for other songs that are truly great, as all their songs are, but dont seem to realize how special this song really is.

I agree. There are times when I've had enough, and it surely can be played poorly and sound cheesy, but it's a very beautiful and powerful piece of music, on many levels. And it fucking rocks. :)

Perhaps one's feelings about it depend on your experience with it. Either it has gotten you through some serious difficulty in your life and is a touchstone you will always love, or you're someone who's just heard the darn thing in LZ IV form 17,000 too many times on the radio.

I also agree with mos' up there, they re-positioned it. The biggest repositioning at the O2 in my mind was from epic guitar journey to vocal performance. I saw and heard it as Jimmy giving the song to Robert, in a way.

I agree. There are times when I've had enough, and it surely can be played poorly and sound cheesy, but it's a very beautiful and powerful piece of music, on many levels. And it fucking rocks. :)

Perhaps one's feelings about it depend on your experience with it. Either it has gotten you through some serious difficulty in your life and is a touchstone you will always love, or you're someone who's just heard the darn thing in LZ IV form 17,000 too many times on the radio.

My theory is that the die-hard fans see Stairway as the most 'mainstream' Zeppelin song. Stairway is insinuated into the consciousness of the greater public, and while it still has value, some fans see it as having less value than other songs. Everyone knows Stairway, but less people would know Friends, or The Rover, or For Your Life. I think some people view Stairways as "one for them (the masses)" while the less well known songs are "one for us (the true fans)".

I personally don't think it's their best song, not by a long shot. But as you said, it all has to do with personal experience. It's an interesting piece of music, but I am much more interested by ALS or Dancing Days or any number of other songs.

Not true, sorry. It was on the setlist...

led-zeppelin-colour30.jpg

Dave Grohl and Scarlet Page

I remember reading in some interview that only the first 3 songs were planned, and after that it was up to them.. The setlist could have very well been printed later.

First off, thanks for creating this thread. It's really cool thinking on your part pinky.

As a child I viewed Stairway to Heaven as an inspirational song. But not a corny or pretentious one. I thought it was a very beautiful song with so many meanings and interpretations as it applies to you, but each being only ominously positive. Back then it was also viewed as a "trip" song I remember, but you could also like it even without the wisps. Stairway to Heaven might well be my prayer then.

Now that I think of it, as an adult, I would tend to define any happy events subconsciously as my Stairway to Heaven. It sort of just stuck.

I read in an interview that during rehearsals of a tour no one talked about the song, then on final rehearsal just 2 hours before the show, every one goes silent, Robert and Jimmy would look at each other and go "Here we go", at which time Robert runs to the bathroom and let out a big one.

It's funny really how quite a few songs of Led Zep stick with you even though as a child back then I only really cared about how the singer guy with the rotten teeth and long hair looked sooo cute.

I remember reading in some interview that only the first 3 songs were planned, and after that it was up to them.. The setlist could have very well been printed later.

Unfortunately that theory doesn't work, as this photo was taken from backstage the rehearsal on the 9th December...

No Stairway..? Denied!

Archived