Bands who completly changed thier sound

Pb Derigable

I've always respected bands that followed their own muse. Bands, in my mind HAD to evolve their sound to remain; and all the best did. I now realize how lucky they were, especially throughout the 70's to be able to deny being pigeon-holed by the record execs. It made for a much better listening experience.

I've pimped this guy from day one.

If you know him as a roots rock Zep-clone, or nu-metal Canadian product, his solo demos show a depth that defies categorization. Now whether he can release this stuff on the record company's label or not; that's another story.

Ian Thornley

All I Need. - enjoy

Jefferson Airplane became Jefferson Starship, eventually becoming a massive sell-out whore (We Built This City)

Another one along the lines of Rainbow is The Tubes - from 70's freaks to 80's hit-seekers (although for some reason I still like "One In a Million" :lolo:)

I don't think Led Zeppelin had a really significant change in its sound, although it became more diverse and more mature on each album.

You don't?

I think they're changes in sound were profound. To not think their sound changed significantly from the first album to ITTOD is un thinkable. I might add, I DID NOT think it was for the better.

King Crimson changed their sound quite often also.

They went from:

Heavy Moody Blues type band

to

Experimental Heavy Metal band

to

Talking Headsesque band

to

The band they are now (I couldn't think of anything witty to call them now)

Just a comment on an interesting thread- all of these examples are relevant to the question but they divide broadly into 2 camps. Bands like King Crimson, Genesis,Airplane/Starship have all undergone line-up changes which could be taken into account when assessing their musical changes over time. The extent to which new members influence the songwriting and recordings is a question for fans of the particular bands.One issue would be the extent to which the changes are 'forced' and the extent to which other members are 'empowered' by those changes. It's possible that the absence of certain individuals[eg- Peter Gabriell] also has an effect on creativity and changes of musical direction. Zeppelin are a good example of the second type of band-one which has a fixed line-up and all the changes and variety comes from the same group of people. U2 also fit this description,I guess, although I'm reluctant to credit them with too much except extreme calculation,a hint of cynicism and a great understanding of marketing and disingenuous self-promotion.

You don't?

I think they're changes in sound were profound. To not think their sound changed significantly from the first album to ITTOD is un thinkable. I might add, I DID NOT think it was for the better.

It did change, but it wasn't the same as David Bowie or The Beatles who changed really a lot from one album to the next one. In Led Zeppelin case is like what I said about Pink Floyd, it was transitional, they were adding some songs with different styles and sounds but the albums were not a complete departure compare to the previous one.

J. Geils Band was a major disappointment.

Tunes like Back to Get Ya, Musta Got Lost, Give it To Me, Surrender were killer.

Next thing you know it's Love Stinks and Freeze Frame.

wow.

Jefferson Airplane became Jefferson Starship, eventually becoming a massive sell-out whore (We Built This City)

Another one along the lines of Rainbow is The Tubes - from 70's freaks to 80's hit-seekers (although for some reason I still like "One In a Million" :lolo:)

The Tubes did change significantly over the years which was too bad because the first albums were fantastic. Punk? Yah, I don't think so! But I kinda have to give them a pass because I remember reading an interview with Fee Waybill and he more or less said 'Yah we sold out. We're just sick of starving!'. Too bad though.

I also agree that bands have to evolve. All the great ones did. Zeppelin, Beatles, Floyd. If they don't, they lose the edge that attracted their fans in the first place. When you look at the other side of it, who would want to buy more than one Boston album? The first one sounds exactly like the second, which sounds exactly like the third.

King Crimson changed their sound quite often also.

They went from:

Heavy Moody Blues type band

to

Experimental Heavy Metal band

to

Talking Headsesque band

to

The band they are now (I couldn't think of anything witty to call them now)

before the heavy metal, they were

Symphonic prog

to

Jazz/Fusion Prog

to

Alternative/pre-grunge

and then what you said

---------------------------------

some other i can think of...

Velvet Underground

VU & Nico was the creation of Andy Warhol

White Light/White Heat was a noise experiment, very far from VU & Nico

and then, The Velvet Underground and Loaded were alternative, "quiet" jams

ELO

from awesome progish stuff (ie Fire On High) to crappy disco

Fleetwood Mac

the Peter Green era was amazing hard rock/blues cuts and then stevie nicks and lindsay ruined the band with soft rock stuff

The Moody Blues

started off as cheesy british invasion, and them got new members and a new record label to start their symphonic prog career

Soft Machine

from psychedelic/prog to jazz fusion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived