Bands who completly changed thier sound

Pb Derigable

The difference in style from LZ1 to ITTOD is huge.

Metallica was a speed metal, now they are alternative

Fleetwood Mac was a great Pure Blues band, than they turned into a Pop band.

Is their any more bands out there who completely changed their styles?

Yeah, Pink Floyd is easy to say, and same goes for the Beatles. You compare Piper to The Wall and it's HUGE difference in sound. Then, you compare Please Please Me to Abbey Road. One song on Abbey Road really stands out for me that truly shows that they were no longer the four boys from Liverpool, and that's "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" it shows how much they've learned and how they have grown up.

Yeah, Pink Floyd is easy to say, and same goes for the Beatles. You compare Piper to The Wall and it's HUGE difference in sound. Then, you compare Please Please Me to Abbey Road. One song on Abbey Road really stands out for me that truly shows that they were no longer the four boys from Liverpool, and that's "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" it shows how much they've learned and how they have grown up.

Pink Floyd could be true they always had their own style but it did changed.

The Beatles yes. I Want You (She's So Heavy) is the song that i would actually give credit to the Beatles. For me if they did more songs like that and forgot about all those LSD trips songs (even though I want you is one) I would have big time respect for them. That whole album i find amazing. Did George Harrison have more to do with abbey road than other albums. I like him the best.

I think the Stiff Upper Lip album of AC/DC changed the line a bit, from those heavy tunes of the other albums to a more bluesy one. Of course, it's still AC/DC, but I wouldn't have thought that they would come up with an album like this one.

Rush of course, when they brought in the synths. And they've been trying to undo the damage ever since.

Rainbow also completely changed from hard rock to pop rock after Dio left.

Also, Sabbath sounded a lot different transitioning from Ozzy to Dio, which is why Dio Sabbath goes by the name Heaven and Hell now.

Also, Sabbath sounded a lot different transitioning from Ozzy to Dio, which is why Dio Sabbath goes by the name Heaven and Hell now.

I'm pretty sure the name change is a legal matter and has nothing at all to do with the sound of the band.

In relation to Metallica there's no question their sound has changed but I'd say they've stayed within the realm of hard rock/metal. Yes, their music got played on "Modern Rock" stations (in addition to hard rock/metal/AOR ones) and they headlined Lollapalooza but I can't say I think of their music as "alternative". The way I see it they began as an underground, indie type band who, as they became more well known, altered their sound over time to the mainstream. I definitely see how their sound changed but I think they still stayed pretty much within their genre or subgenre, as it were if you think of speed metal/hard rock/metal as subgenres of rock n' roll. The main thing is, I just don't see them as "alternative", at least not in the same sense as Pearl Jam who could also be considered another band with a hard rock edge. Then again, I've seen "alternative" used to describe everyone from the Cure and R.E.M. to Matchbox Twenty and Hootie and the Blowfish. That's the trouble with labels I guess, in the end they can be pretty fucking useless.

Off topic but this topic also got me to thinking about artists who defy genre (or at least aren't bound by it) such as Willie Nelson, Ray Charles, Neil Young, etc.

R.E.M. are a prime example of a band that have turned out dramatically different sounding albums; everything from delicate folk / rock and jangle / pop to glam / hard rock and synth-laden pop.

T Rex are the obvious choice. They were a folk-rock band originally known as Tyrannosaurus Rex then at the start of the 70s Marc Bolan picked up the electric guitar, shortened the name to T Rex and invented glam rock.

Although he's not a band, one person seems to fit this description more than any other band or artist, for me-David Bowie. Try comparing 'Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed'from'Space Oddity'next to,say 'Time' from Aladdin Sane and then on to' Sweet thing' from Diamond Dogs with 'Fascination', for example, or 'Golden Years' next[Young Americans and Station to Station respectively].After those, try the first side of'Low' against the second side of the same record. And so on. From about 1969/70 to 1980 he made an album virtually every year in a constantly changing array of styles and genres. He toured regularly,with different band line-ups and had hit singles and decent album sales around the world.I'm tempted to place his sheer productivity,lack of repetition and surprising commercial success in this period against most other artists and bands.Looking back, it's curious that a 'major' performer,songwriter and singer was allowed to run his career in such a way. It's also a shame that so few others after him seem willing to break out of the mundane ' tour every two or three years with a carefully planned product and promo campaign' cycle. Radiohead may be one of the most conspicuous and successful exceptions. Yes, you guessed...I'm a bit of a Bowie fan.

T Rex are the obvious choice. They were a folk-rock band originally known as Tyrannosaurus Rex then at the start of the 70s Marc Bolan picked up the electric guitar, shortened the name to T Rex and invented glam rock.

Yeah, exactly. Great example of course. Some people called me an idiot because I prefer the psychedelic folk sound to the glam rock sound. I just do. =/

i could be wrong, but i seem to remember michael boulton as a rocker in the early 70's before he went to elevator muzak...

Yep, you're right!!! Bolton was a hard rock/hair metal rocker...weird but true.

I find it boring when a band doesn't change it's sound significantly through their career. Led Zeppelin surely did.

One contemporary band whose variety never stagnates is Sonic Youth.

Many of the punk bands of the 1970's improved musically in the 1980's from their thrash days to composing fairly intricate pieces. The Clash for instance, The Police, and The Talking Heads.

When a fan doesn't like a new release because it doesn't sound like the previous album that's too bad. Radio stations are like that. They're afraid of expanding their listening skills.

David Bowie and The Beatles definitely changed their sound a lot from one album to another. Pink Floyd did change their sound but it was more in a transitional way.

A band no one mentioned that I think changed their sound is U2, from their 80's stuff to Achtung Baby and Zooropa, their sound was a lot different.

I don't think Led Zeppelin had a really significant change in its sound, although it became more diverse and more mature on each album.

Archived