The Racing Thread

Footsteps of Dawn

Anybody out there watch/do any type of auto racing? My dad's a racing nut, and I guess I kind of caught the bug. The only thing I really keep up with is Formula 1, but I also really like the World of Outlaws sprint cars...they don't show those on TV too much, unfortunately, but I've been to a few races and they're super fun to watch. I like NASCAR and rally cars, too, but I only watch them occasionally. Oh, I guess I end up watching NHRA a lot, too, because my dad really likes it, but eh, I can take it or leave it. I probably know more about it than rally cars, though, just because my dad's got it on all the time.

And why does it seem like the only thing that's ever on the Speed Channel is NASCAR, Formula 1, or motorcycles? They make room for all those stupid things like Pinks and Livin' the Low Life (*snort*), so don't tell me they don't have time for some of the less popular types of racing. I guess it's cheaper to get a bunch of random yokels to drag race each other for free rather than to mess around with licensing and all that happy stuff. Lame. I would totally watch the sprint cars all the time if they were on TV. But I digress...

(raises hand)

I like F1 the best because it is the best drivers in the world in the best cars.

I also like LeMans style endurance racing as well. Hey, isn't the 24 Hours of LeMans this weekend?

I'm not a big fan of NASCAR, though.

Who's your favorite F1 driver? I like Raikkonen, myself. Too bad about Sunday...red means stop, green means go! Some of us obviously need to work on that concept. :rolleyes: Hey yeah, I think Le Mans is this weekend. I don't think I've ever watched that, but it looks kind of cool.

Yeah, NASCAR...I don't know. Most people (especially F1 fans) seem to have a beef with the fact that they just keep making left turns the entire time. I don't mind that - I just wish the races were a little shorter. I could just watch the second half and be just fine. Frankly, though, I like the off-track drama more than the races themselves. The fans crack me up... "Jeff Gordon's a little girl!" "Tony Stewart's an asshole!" etc. Always good for a little entertainment.

I used to watch Formula 1races on TV. But since Ayrton Senna died, in 1994, I haven't watched any car races. I just don't care anymore.

Yeah,when Earnhart died at Daytona,I quit watching races too.

Who's your favorite F1 driver? I like Raikkonen, myself. Too bad about Sunday...red means stop, green means go! Some of us obviously need to work on that concept. :rolleyes: Hey yeah, I think Le Mans is this weekend. I don't think I've ever watched that, but it looks kind of cool.

Yeah, NASCAR...I don't know. Most people (especially F1 fans) seem to have a beef with the fact that they just keep making left turns the entire time. I don't mind that - I just wish the races were a little shorter. I could just watch the second half and be just fine. Frankly, though, I like the off-track drama more than the races themselves. The fans crack me up... "Jeff Gordon's a little girl!" "Tony Stewart's an asshole!" etc. Always good for a little entertainment.

I like Kimi. He's funny as hell in interviews. I followed M Schumacher throughout his career and consider him one of the best ever. Fernando Alonso is good, but whines too much. Lewis Hamilton is talented, but I don't like the comparison to Tiger Woods. Have to say my favorite right now is David Coulthard. He just keeps on keepin' on. Sort of the JPJ of F1 racing :)

In the IRL, I like Scott Dixon. Glad he won the Indy 500. Danica Patrick is overexposed and overrated. Marco Andretti needs to go back to driving school. With a name like that, alot is expected of him. The guy to watch in that series in the next few years is Graham Rahal. He is very talented and has a good mentor in his father.

NASCAR blows! What else can I say. Looks like they're going to have their hands full with a lawsuit for awhile. :unsure:

(raises hand)

I'm not a big fan of NASCAR, though.

NASCAR blows

6 of 8 cautions at the NASCAR race at Dover last week were caused by Indycar racers trying to go left (Carpentier, Hornish, Franchitti.)! What's up with that? ;)

But yeah, Scott Dixon is on fire isn't he?

I miss Ayrton Senna. I remember watching Rasmussen crash in practice the same week, and it looked so violent. Senna's crash looked tame by comparison. But there you go. So did Earnhardt's. But they're gone.

Now I'm bummed out.

^^"It's a perfect day"???

Either my irony chip is on the fritz, or that's about the sickest thing I've ever seen.

But agreed, a tragic loss. BTW, is your screen name the model of a racing bike? Now THAT'S ironic! :lol:

6 of 8 cautions at the NASCAR race at Dover last week were caused by Indycar racers trying to go left (Carpentier, Hornish, Franchitti.)! What's up with that? ;)

But yeah, Scott Dixon is on fire isn't he?

I miss Ayrton Senna. I remember watching Rasmussen crash in practice the same week, and it looked so violent. Senna's crash looked tame by comparison. But there you go. So did Earnhardt's. But they're gone.

Now I'm bummed out.

You mean Roland Ratzenberger, who died the same weekend in 94, right?

Easy to get bummed when you think of all the lives lost :(

The XR4TI was Ford product of the Merkur line, a US version of the Euro Sierra XR4i. I pulled the name out of a hat.

Oh yeah, I remember that car! Didn't mean anything by the remark, BTW. I was just playing. ;)

And yes, Dano, that was who I was referring to. Terrible event. Thanks for the clarification.

We have a new race course here, that just held the World Motorcyle....or some such stuff, races.

The guy who built it was the one who put up the cash for a new arena for the Jazz to play in.

He's Larry Miller.

I'm hoping someday it will be big enough for Nascar.

Racing is big here too. Just different kinds. Like the Bonneville Salt Flats where jet like cars go faster than a jet. :blink: Heh... ZZTop guy likes to race there. :mellow: His name just flew out of my brain, but you know who I mean.

Yeah, I'm a race fan. :)

Oh yeah, definitely F1, SuperBike and Moto GP.

Three unforgettable Champions

Gilles Villeneuve - Ferrari Team

gvilleneuve01.jpg

Carl "King" Fogarty - Ducati Team

3057514-lg.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Valentino "The Doctor" Rossi - Aprilia Team

whoiswho_ValentinoRossi.jpg

valentino_rossi_9.jpg

I'll never forget this crash. One little miscue and it's all over. I haven't watched racing since.

RIP Gordon Smiley

Gordon Smiley & Greg Moore are the worst I've ever seen! It's hard to watch after seeing such misery, but I'm a fan and still watch.

I've been to NASCAR, NHRA,NDBA & IHBA ( NDBA & IHBA are drag boats ) and NHRA still is the best!

Nothing like the smell of Nitro! :notworthy:

:(

Yesterday the motor sports world experienced a tragedy..

NHRA’s Kalitta killed in drag racing crash

Driver had estimated speed of 300 mph when car crashed, burst into flames

080621-kalitta-hmed-8p.hmedium.jpg

Sat., June. 21, 2008

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. - Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car burst into flames and crashed at the end of the track during the final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

The NHRA said the 46-year-old Kalitta — the 1994 and 1995 Top Fuel season champion who had 18 career victories, 17 in Top Fuel and one in Funny Car — was taken to the Old Bridge division of Raritan Bay Medical Center, where he died a short time later.

Kalitta’s Toyota Solara was traveling at about 300 mph when it burst into flames.

The Palmetto, Fla., resident started his career at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 1982. His father, Connie Kalitta, was a longtime driver and team owner known as “The Bounty Hunter,” and his cousin, Doug Kalitta, also drives competitively.

“We are deeply saddened and want to pass along our sincere condolences to the entire Kalitta family,” the NHRA said in a statement. “Scott shared the same passion for drag racing as his legendary father, Connie. He also shared the same desire to win, becoming a two-time series world champion. He left the sport for a period of time, to devote more time to his family, only to be driven to return to the drag strip to regain his championship form. ... He will be truly missed by the entire NHRA community.” *source*

*Youtube: Scott Kalitta crash 6/21/08*

-_-

In viewing that Kallita crash, it's hard to imagine him being taken to a hospital and dying there. That car hits the wall and seems to completely shatter into a thousand pieces. How could he even have had his body intact?

Horrifying. :(

In viewing that Kallita crash, it's hard to imagine him being taken to a hospital and dying there. That car hits the wall and seems to completely shatter into a thousand pieces. How could he even have had his body intact?

Horrifying. :(

From what i've heard, he died at the track.

I've watched Scott, Doug and Conrad race for over thirty years.

I don't care if people say " He died doing what he loved to do". That is a fucked up way to die!

He will be missed! :'(

RIP Scott! :console:

From what i've heard, he died at the track.

I've watched Scott, Doug and Conrad race for over thirty years.

I don't care if people say " He died doing what he loved to do". That is a fucked up way to die!

He will be missed! :'(

RIP Scott! :console:

Amen to that :(

Archived