New Jimmy Interview

ledwallett

The question to ask is which does Robert Plant find to be more artistically fulfilling now.

The answer should be obvious.

And a lot of that is Page's fault, isn't it?! Let's put the two side by side just in terms of how seriously they take their own health and physical appearance. By 1998 one man looks great for his age, the other sweats, drools, is fat and smokes cigarettes right on stage. One man challenges himself over and over again searching for new musical destinations. One man writes pitiful retreads of his own songs, for example compare and contrast C/P's Prayer for the Dying with Zep's In My Time of Dying. Page has been going through the motions since 1977 with the exception of the Firm where he did create a new style based on country music. The Firm represents the last risks taken by Jimmy Page. The man has been on autopilot retread ever since. If you look at back interviews say circa 85 this is the last time Robert sounds hopeful about writing new music with Page. There are moments in Walking Into Clarksdale that deserve honorable mention for Page, but overall there is still a mighty piece of that brain trust M.I.A. That, as much as Robert's changed voice is the major hang up to a Zep album and tour. I'd imagine Robert's fear is Jimmy wants to crawl back into LZ and take a mental nap. Only Jimmy can bring back Jimmy's brain.

And a lot of that is Page's fault, isn't it?!....... Only Jimmy can bring back Jimmy's brain.

You're being a bit harsh, but I agree. Jimmy has plenty of money, and can do what he wants. Apparently, he doesn't want to do music at all, unless it's Zeppelin music, in front of huge, adoring crowds. Understandable to a certain degree, but a monumental waste of talent, if you ask me.

Meanwhile, Robert's exploits have run the gamut in the last 10 years, from playing pubs with The Priory to opening for The Who to headlining theaters again with his own band, and now, the success of Raising Sand. I doubt that Robert really needs to work as much as he does, but even if he really needs the money, at least he keeps searching. His integrity is intact, even if he's left many hardcore Zep fans behind.

Who's to say what might have happened if Jimmy had kept his hand in over the last 10 years, playing with various groups of musicians from different backgrounds, getting together with Jeff Beck, playing Clapton's Crossroads festival, maybe rediscovering the acoustic guitar again. He might have had a surprise hit on his hands, just like Robert. Instead, he waits...

Jimmy is 64. He's in pretty good shape. The man can still play, and if he gets a few gigs under his belt, watch out!! The problem is, he may not have that much time left.

--Dave A.

And a lot of that is Page's fault, isn't it?! Let's put the two side by side just in terms of how seriously they take their own health and physical appearance. By 1998 one man looks great for his age, the other sweats, drools, is fat and smokes cigarettes right on stage. One man challenges himself over and over again searching for new musical destinations. One man writes pitiful retreads of his own songs, for example compare and contrast C/P's Prayer for the Dying with Zep's In My Time of Dying. Page has been going through the motions since 1977 with the exception of the Firm where he did create a new style based on country music. The Firm represents the last risks taken by Jimmy Page. The man has been on autopilot retread ever since. If you look at back interviews say circa 85 this is the last time Robert sounds hopeful about writing new music with Page. There are moments in Walking Into Clarksdale that deserve honorable mention for Page, but overall there is still a mighty piece of that brain trust M.I.A. That, as much as Robert's changed voice is the major hang up to a Zep album and tour. I'd imagine Robert's fear is Jimmy wants to crawl back into LZ and take a mental nap. Only Jimmy can bring back Jimmy's brain.

I put this differently some time ago when I said Jimmy reached his artistic zenith during their Munich recording sessions in November 1975. By his own admission, he has neither

the drive nor desire to maintain a solo career of his own such as Robert Plant has done.

Led Zeppelin disbanded nearly 30 years ago yet some here speak as if was yesterday. Had he lived, it's like suggesting Elvis recreate 1956 in the mid-80s. Preposterous for

artist and audience alike.

The O2 concert proved that to be wrong, I think. Robert Plant, while not quite what he once was, is still an incredible vocalist with more than enough ability to sing with Led Zeppelin. All he needs is the motivation.

I agree here but I'm sure no on here will agree with where I say he needs the motivation from.......the drummer. Robert slogs around on stage because he's got no real heavy thumpin' ass beat behind him to make him move. So he'd probably rather play the slower, trance-like stuff because at least he has no expectations of grooving. Chris Blackwell didn't provide it, Michael Lee didn't provide it. Granted Lee hit hard but he spent more time making a point of hitting hard rather than catching the pocket and sounding good. Shoot me here but I don't even think Jason provided it. He without a doubt came the closest but he's not his Father. He'll tell you that himself. On side note, I do think it's quite unfair for all these expectations be placed on Jason. That's lot of pressure and alot to live up to. We should be glad he even plays drums. Not all of us do what our Fathers did so be grateful we got what we got, ya know?

I think it's a bit disrespectful comparing the two, but since we are...I believe the Coverdale/Page project was the most creative Jimmy has been post Zeppelin playing wise. Creatively, IMO the best piece of work either has produced since Zeppelin.

Your comparing C/P songs with Zep songs...Robert is guilty of the same, though I see no problem with it, unless it becomes disrespectful. You can hear Robert using Zeppelin hooks and reference in every solo effort. In one instance completely using Jimmy's hooks for success (Tall Cool One). Robert does not exactly look all shinny and new during the Page/Plant era either. Remember it was Robert who invited Jimmy for unledded. Remember it was Robert who made Jimmy re-work Zeppelin songs while he sings the same lyrics. Who was doing the work? You want to punish Jimmy Page for being who he is. He is Led Zeppelin. 95% of Roberts change is re-worked music that he is singing along too. This is his creative passion? While making fun of Rod Stewart, Mic Jagger, Roger Daultry, He is on the road singing cover songs with a cover band. That's a fact. At least they are doing there own music huh? I have no problem with Robert doing whatever he wants, and if that's not Zeppelin, well that's fine with me also. Just don't drag Jimmy down because you feel he is not creative enough for Robert to work with. That theory is preposterous.

I think it's a bit disrespectful comparing the two, but since we are...I believe the Coverdale/Page project was the most creative Jimmy has been post Zeppelin playing wise. Creatively, IMO the best piece of work either has produced since Zeppelin.

Your comparing C/P songs with Zep songs...Robert is guilty of the same, though I see no problem with it, unless it becomes disrespectful. You can hear Robert using Zeppelin hooks and reference in every solo effort. In one instance completely using Jimmy's hooks for success (Tall Cool One). Robert does not exactly look all shinny and new during the Page/Plant era either. Remember it was Robert who invited Jimmy for unledded. Remember it was Robert who made Jimmy re-work Zeppelin songs while he sings the same lyrics. Who was doing the work? You want to punish Jimmy Page for being who he is. He is Led Zeppelin. 95% of Roberts change is re-worked music that he is singing along too. This is his creative passion? While making fun of Rod Stewart, Mic Jagger, Roger Daultry, He is on the road singing cover songs with a cover band. That's a fact. At least they are doing there own music huh? I have no problem with Robert doing whatever he wants, and if that's not Zeppelin, well that's fine with me also. Just don't drag Jimmy down because you feel he is not creative enough for Robert to work with. That theory is preposterous.

Amen brother

ahhh, a voice of reason...

one must agree that the two artistic capabilities of page and plant are very dissimilar. plant is a taster, willing to build a body of work that is both self-satisfying but has no definite peak. exploring by way of the long journey. page is, by contrast, a concept man- taking a vision, finding all available dynamics and building a fortress. plant, as a singer, is both limited in scope (he must have other musicians) but much more free-he only has to take himself on his journey. page, as a non-vocalist, will always root himself in the music first but is at the mercy (as far as the public is concerned) of who sings his songs.

bottom line: page could have done exactly what plant has done his entire solo career: travelled the different musical landscapes with different musicians every other album, except (been there done that!) that's pretty much what he did as a session musician.

plant could never do what page has already done: build the definitive band.

Wow, when I say the truth about Percy I get labeled a TROLL. Yes..............Led Zeppelin is Jimmy Page, always has been, always will be. The "music" of Led Zeppelin is so much more important then the "lyrics". Yes, Plant was the perfect pick for Page's band...............but it's the "music" that sets Zep appart. And I will say it again, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, if Page had not asked Percy to sing for him, you may never have heard of him.

Wow, when I say the truth about Percy I get labeled a TROLL. Yes..............Led Zeppelin is Jimmy Page, always has been, always will be. The "music" of Led Zeppelin is so much more important then the "lyrics". Yes, Plant was the perfect pick for Page's band...............but it's the "music" that sets Zep appart. And I will say it again, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, if Page had not asked Percy to sing for him, you may never have heard of him.

Led Zeppelin would NOT have been what they were without Robert. No other singer would have created the chemistry and music they had with Robert. It was a success because of all FOUR of them. It's not important whether it was Jimmy's initial idea or not. The bottom line is Jimmy alone did not create the success of the band and I think he would not disagree with that.

Robert's talent was already garnering attention prior to Jimmy hearing him. Believe me, he'd have become famous one way or another.

But you seek every opportunity to dig at him so this post, like all the others you've done doesn't surprise me at all. Really save yourself the trouble and just cut and paste them. They all say the same ridiculous thing :rolleyes:

look, troll....we would have heard of robert plant-the only doubt is in your mind. the post above doesn't split hairs for the team, the fact is that a guitar player for a major band has different post-band options than the singer of said band. as for your already-gag promoting opinion, i don't mind it, i'm just sick of reading 4,000 times. in your post you say "i will say it again". we know you will. we have read it again and again. you're about to piss me off, but that would be your point: your ONLY point.

bring something to the table or go back under the bridge.

look, troll

:D:D You Plant worshippers are too much around here :D:D . Most of the time I do believe that Page wrote the music, then Percy put words to it. LZ is about 90% music and 10% words. How I wish that Page, JPJ, and Jason would put some real thought into another singer and go for it. Maybe I was wrong about Chris Robinson, but there are other singers that if teamed up with Page, JPJ, and Jason would knock your socks off. Yes, old Percy needs to stay with Alison. She is much more his style now.

scs........The TROLL

Mc. Cain 08

As stated before, questionable comment 10 years on. If anyone is having trouble performing at this time it was not Jimmy, he was in fact blistering. Video proof of this...

August of 98...

That's enough proof for ME! Blistering! My skins crawling listening/watching these! Great post Z...thanks!

name='scs' date='Jun 25 2008, 05:52 PM' post='207122'

Most of the time I do believe that Page wrote the music, then Percy put words to it.

scs........The TROLL

wow, what a fount of original, well-spoken thought you are!

(pssst...there are two other musician's in this band with writing credits)

LZ is about 90% music and 10% words.

scs........The TROLL

you're just full of good shit today!

what about singing-the vocalization of music? if there ever was a voice used like an instrument, it is robert plant's...

How I wish that Page, JPJ, and Jason would put some real thought into another singer and go for it. Maybe I was wrong about Chris Robinson, but there are other singers that if teamed up with Page, JPJ, and Jason would knock your socks off. scs........The TROLL

did you just say....yeah, you did, i'm re-reading it! wrong??? you???

we will get new music from those three. maybe at the same time. you probably won't like it but that's not important (to me).

Yes, old Percy needs to stay with Alison. She is much more his style now. scs........The TROLL

awww...bad words from a bad man! you tell him!!

Tell me whats tougher. (Right now) To play with Page like you see in the videos or to stand there and harmonize and sing back up for Allison. I am not talking about 10 or 15 years ago. Much safer "NOW" with Allison. Yes, there is the chance that many fans will not accept his different types of music but pleasing most of his fans has never been a top priority for him since his solo career started. scs........The TROLL

robert plant's music will only please you if he does what is 'tougher'?

you should check out another band-the beatles. they do a song you would like: 'please, please me'

That's right, I forgot, it's always just about "Robert". It does not matter if Page, JPJ, and Jason might need him for a gig a little more then every 10 years or so. Not to mention millions of fans. But then again, everyone who disagrees with "Robert" is selfish, but "Robert" never is scs........The TROLL.

whaaaaaa!!! whaaaaa!!! mom!! robert took the ball and he won't play!!!! whaaaaaa!

I think that Plant realizes that he is no longer up to working with Jimmy. Lets face it, Jimmy has written some of the most incredible, complex Rock music of all time. Plant has done a good job putting words to it and keeping up with it. But that was then, this is now. I think that Plant would rather play it safe with Allison, she is much easier to sing with. Plant has proven that he does not care to do what most of the fans want.................so he is taking the safe approach. It keeps him happy, safe, and secure. And after all, isn't that what we really all want. scs........The TROLL

MOM!!!!???!!! tell robert to stop! he doesn't take chances, mom like i do!!

coming next on the "scs........The TROLL" channel: instead of reading and the thread being interrupted by mindless drivel, the BEST of scs....The TROLL will be combined in a single post of mindless repetition! not only is it safe, but it's not what the REAL fans want!

i know.....i stooped. forgive me. :bagoverhead:

You completely missed the point Mr.Z was making, and turned it into a Plant bashing which he clearly was not doing. I think the point Mr.Z was making when he said "Jimmy is Led Zeppelin" is...

It's his identity from a creative stand point. Don't ask him to be something he is not.

Not that he doesn't need the other members or, his end is more important. Thats not the point made at all and you are completely off track here IMO.

I agree here but I'm sure no on here will agree with where I say he needs the motivation from.......the drummer. Robert slogs around on stage because he's got no real heavy thumpin' ass beat behind him to make him move. Not all of us do what our Fathers did so be grateful we got what we got, ya know?

I'll see you and raise you one. As of the Foo show, I've seen Zep with every drummer I hoped could do the job. John Bonham was just a human being, right? With every hitter that steps to the plate comes some amount of disappointment. Jason Bonham was better than I could have every imagined, but did he seal the deal? Forgive me LZ forum for this and all the other times I have injured you with my humble opinions, like this one.. I think the Puff Daddy drummer on SNL was the alpha drummer. If you could get a guy like that to play strictly for the music rather than the ego... I guess they tried that black powerhouse thing in 86. I've yet to hear a single note of the Tony Thompson sessions. I think Jason played with more nuance than Grohl who was surprisingly generic.

:D:D You Percy apologist's are really on a roll now. :D:D Yes, Jimmy Page was much more important to LZ then any of the other members, or all the rest of the members combined. This is not trashing the other band members, just saying it straight up. Other then "In through the out Door", Page was the person most responsible for the music content on the albums. If you want to hear singers that can use their voice like an instrument listen to opera singers, not Percy. As far as the "words" that he wrote to go with most of Pages brilliant music, much is weak at best. Now his style of singing was perfect for Page, but the words.............weak messages there.

scs.............The TROLL

Mc. Cain 08

I put this differently some time ago when I said Jimmy reached his artistic zenith during their Munich recording sessions in November 1975. By his own admission, he has neither

the drive nor desire to maintain a solo career of his own such as Robert Plant has done.

Led Zeppelin disbanded nearly 30 years ago yet some here speak as if was yesterday. Had he lived, it's like suggesting Elvis recreate 1956 in the mid-80s. Preposterous for

artist and audience alike.

I remember something about "Page hasn't written an adorable riff since"... I was thinking to self "What about Who's to Blame and Cadillac?" You kind of losing me on your second paragraph..

Being up to something creatively doesn't necessarily mean solo albums or a band, but something. All of you are entitled to your opinions as am I. Outrider was weak, Coverdale-Page was a fucking atrocity. I curse the day David Coverdale darkened Deep Purple's doorstep, sorry ladies..

:D:D You Percy apologist's are really on a roll now. :D:D Yes, Jimmy Page was much more important to LZ then any of the other members, or all the rest of the members combined. This is not trashing the other band members, just saying it straight up. Other then "In through the out Door", Page was the person most responsible for the music content on the albums. If you want to hear singers that can use their voice like an instrument listen to opera singers, not Percy. As far as the "words" that he wrote to go with most of Pages brilliant music, much is weak at best. Now his style of singing was perfect for Page, but the words.............weak messages there.

scs.............The TROLL

Mc. Cain 08

You are so full of it. John Bonham, John Paul Jones AND Robert Plant also contributed to the success of Zep. It was not 90% Jimmy. Do you just enjoy spending all your time bashing Robert Rick as I know that's who you are. Your song sadly remains the same as your other identity which was thankfully banned. It's so tiresome. No one wants to hear it.

You hate Robert, think he's disposable as a singer and should be replaced but mark my words, if he agreed to tour with Zep, wouldn't you just run to the line to get a ticket. Please :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I remember something about "Page hasn't written an adorable riff since"... I was thinking to self "What about Who's to Blame and Cadillac?" You kind of losing me on your second paragraph..

Being up to something creatively doesn't necessarily mean solo albums or a band, but something. All of you are entitled to your opinions as am I. Outrider was weak, Coverdale-Page was a fucking atrocity. I curse the day David Coverdale darkened Deep Purple's doorstep, sorry ladies..

Was rushing out the door on my way to work today, and didn't put Outrider into the equation.

Brilliant album. I retract C/P and add Outrider in it's place. Thank you for the reminder :D

...a pointless jam with the Foo Fighters would be one recent example.

Kind of like Plants "pointless" ramblings with Allison??

Amazing. You all take up for anything that Percy does around here. 28 years of rambling around from one musical genre to the next because he is an Artist, and it is ok for artist's to be tempermental. Now, let Page and JPJ do something that they wanted to do and you label it as a "pointless jam". Maybe to Page and JPJ it was not "pointless", or did you just fail to think about that?

scs.........The TROLL

Kind of like Plants "pointless" ramblings with Allison??

Amazing. You all take up for anything that Percy does around here. 28 years of rambling around from one musical genre to the next because he is an Artist, and it is ok for artist's to be tempermental. Now, let Page and JPJ do something that they wanted to do and you label it as a "pointless jam". Maybe to Page and JPJ it was not "pointless", or did you just fail to think about that?

scs.........The TROLL

While the Plant/Krauss collaboration strikes many as boring, it is certainly not pointless. They've pursued an artistic vision together which has resulted in a wildly successful, critically-acclaimed new album and tour. Contrast that to a pointless jam on two Led

Zeppelin songs from 30+ years ago that Jimmy and JPJ can perform in their sleep. It

made a lot of people happy (and seemingly themselves) and it is their perogative to do

such things but all hype aside it was what it was, no more and no less. Some of us

would like to see them all attempt execution of new artistic visions instead, and

that is our perogative.

Contrast that to a pointless jam on two Led

Zeppelin songs from 30+ years ago that Jimmy and JPJ can perform in their sleep. It

made a lot of people happy

I know many that would much rather hear Page and JPJ play while sleeping rather then listen to the "new highly aclaimed" Allison/Plant "what ever you call it".

scs.......The TROLL

Archived