celebrity

slave to zep

i was just reading on ross halfins site, he was saying how whenever jimmy is out in public, he gets bothered by fans wanting autographs etc, and even other celebs "corner" him......poor jimmy. ross says jimmy was at a party and had to "give up and go home". that just made me feel so sad for him. it seems its getting like it was for elvis. trouble is, if i were out and saw him, id want to say hi also. but now id feel bad about it, y'know? i mean, wheres the middle ground? im sure he is gracious and accomodating as much as he can, he comes across as being a gentleman, in all respects. but i wish he could go out and enjoy himself also. what are your thoughts on this? i know there are some on here who have met jimmy.

i was just reading on ross halfins site, he was saying how whenever jimmy is out in public, he gets bothered by fans wanting autographs etc, and even other celebs "corner" him......poor jimmy. ross says jimmy was at a party and had to "give up and go home". that just made me feel so sad for him. it seems its getting like it was for elvis. trouble is, if i were out and saw him, id want to say hi also. but now id feel bad about it, y'know? i mean, wheres the middle ground? im sure he is gracious and accomodating as much as he can, he comes across as being a gentleman, in all respects. but i wish he could go out and enjoy himself also. what are your thoughts on this? i know there are some on here who have met jimmy.

Jimmy has a status and has had it for a long time this is nothing new a whole lot of people recognize Him and naturally they will say Hi and ask for pictures and Autographs.Its part of being who He is.I cant really feel sorry for Him because I have always wanted to be Him there is a big price for fame.He has a few really nice secluded places He can go to get away from it but unless He is in disguise He will be pestered I know I have bothered Him a few times Myself.He has always been super nice.

Jimmy has a status and has had it for a long time this is nothing new a whole lot of people recognize Him and naturally they will say Hi and ask for pictures and Autographs.Its part of being who He is.I cant really feel sorry for Him because I have always wanted to be Him there is a big price for fame.He has a few really nice secluded places He can go to get away from it but unless He is in disguise He will be pestered I know I have bothered Him a few times Myself.He has always been super nice.

thanks for that, al. i knew you had met robert, but i didnt know you had also met jimmy! whos a lucky boy, then? i know jimmy has had this status for a long time, but i doubt if he ever gets used to it....certainly must be difficult at times. im thinking since mothership and the 02, that he is experiencing a new wave of fame, even more since the other day with the foos concert. that concert exposed him to a whole new generation of fans, so im guessing just atm he pretty much cant go anywhere in public without getting mobbed. i cant say that if i saw him out anywhere, that i would leave him alone, but i think i will try to not be "annoying" if it ever happens.

Personally, it would depend on the circumstances. If he was being mobbed, I wouldn't contribute to the fray. Nor would I approach him if he were eating at a restaurant. That would be rude. But if I bumped into him casually, I would say Hello Jimmy. If he looked hurried or uncomfortable, that would be it. If he stopped and looked to be at ease, I'd keep it brief and try to be calm and not act like like a crazed fan. Maybe ask for an autograph and thank him for all the great music I've enjoyed so personally for so many years.

Personally, it would depend on the circumstances. If he was being mobbed, I wouldn't contribute to the fray. Nor would I approach him if he were eating at a restaurant. That would be rude. But if I bumped into him casually, I would say Hello Jimmy. If he looked hurried or uncomfortable, that would be it. If he stopped and looked to be at ease, I'd keep it brief and try to be calm and not act like like a crazed fan. Maybe ask for an autograph and thank him for all the great music I've enjoyed so personally for so many years.

i know, it would be the most difficult thing in the world for me to not gush all over him! i mean, id hate some stranger doing that to me! but to me he doesnt seem like a stranger. its a bit weird that he had to leave a party because of it. thats sad. i dont want to think of him having problems like that!

the crazy fan in me would try and approach him no matter what, lol. but then again I think I would be too scared/nervous to even say hi.

yes, what could one possibly say to the guy who mustve heard it all before.............?

You are correct about the Dinning thing also with Family but when they are on tour at or around a Gig all is fair . You have to be nice Jimmy has body gaurds or at least He has had them on a few ocasions.The last meeting was just Him and Robert alone how wierd.Robert walks around alone or with a friend on occasion.They are both super nice just dont rush up to them be casual you might make them nervous.Another pet peeve of Roberts is dont bring Him a dozen things to sign one for each person you know in your Home state.He does not like it.He dislikes people who sell his stuff on Ebay.

Do not gush like I have every time I really think He hates that but its a reflex.It is strange I dont get nervous around Skynyrd or Charlie Daniels ,ZZ Top etc etc but those Zep guys make me act Stupid.

You are correct about the Dinning thing also with Family but when they are on tour at or around a Gig all is fair . You have to be nice Jimmy has body gaurds or at least He has had them on a few ocasions.The last meeting was just Him and Robert alone how wierd.Robert walks around alone or with a friend on occasion.They are both super nice just dont rush up to them be casual you might make them nervous.Another pet peeve of Roberts is dont bring Him a dozen things to sign one for each person you know in your Home state.He does not like it.He dislikes people who sell his stuff on Ebay.

Do not gush like I have every time I really think He hates that but its a reflex.It is strange I dont get nervous around Skynyrd or Charlie Daniels ,ZZ Top etc etc but those Zep guys make me act Stupid.

so when and where did you meet jimmy , al?

I have never heard of JP being rude or annoyed at being approached. Even celebrities who are generally happy to interact with fans occasionally have a bad day, like all of us. But I have never heard of Jimmy being like that.

Ross also has a way of exaggerating and putting a particular spin on things. Maybe Jimmy leaves these things early because he wants to go home to his family too?

I have never heard of JP being rude or annoyed at being approached. Even celebrities who are generally happy to interact with fans occasionally have a bad day, like all of us. But I have never heard of Jimmy being like that.

Ross also has a way of exaggerating and putting a particular spin on things. Maybe Jimmy leaves these things early because he wants to go home to his family too?

i see where you are coming from cactus. lets hope that is the case!

i was just reading on ross halfins site, he was saying how whenever jimmy is out in public, he gets bothered by fans wanting autographs etc, and even other celebs "corner" him......poor jimmy. ross says jimmy was at a party and had to "give up and go home". that just made me feel so sad for him. it seems its getting like it was for elvis.

Well that's the beauty of being JPJ...he rarely gets recognised in public...

It's the rough with the smooth I guess...

Ah, yes - the gushing and the giggling. :lol:

I have been in situations (post-Zep years) where I have seen the Zep guys and other rockers (e.g., airports, airplanes, restaurants, clubs, and just walking down the street) but I long ago lost the urge to approach them (let alone smile, make eye contact, or speak). I personally feel that, because they are not performing but just going about their business (trying to watch a show, for example), they don’t want to be bothered by yet another fan - at this stage in their lives, the Zep guys deserve a break from some of us. :unsure:

For me, a more important reason is that, during the Zep years, when I was young, I embarrassed myself too many times by shamelessly approaching the Zep guys. As I’ve matured, I have acquired some decorum (as well as being prone to an occasional episodic bout of shyness) - and probably a bit of jadedness.

During all our trips to London (and our layovers at Heathrow), my husband and I never once went out in search of the Zep guys or their private homes. To be honest, we were so busy going to concerts, theater, museums, etc. it never occurred to us to spend our time there seeking out the members of LZ or crawling around hedgerow trying to find one of their homes.

I know what you mean about Robert just walking around. The most recent example of this was around three years ago when we saw Robert in a club (he was a guest) and walking out on the street (although he was not alone - he was with other people) when he was performing in a small city. We watched but I wouldn't dare approach or make eye contact. Of course, there is always the gnawing, probably irrational fear that one of them will scrutinize me a bit too closely and think, “That woman looks like an older version of one of those crazy young girls who used to chase us.” :bagoverhead:

Ah, yes - the gushing and the giggling. :lol:

I have been in situations (post-Zep years) where I have seen the Zep guys and other rockers (e.g., airports, airplanes, restaurants, clubs, and just walking down the street) but I long ago lost the urge to approach them (let alone smile, make eye contact, or speak). I personally feel that, because they are not performing but just going about their business (trying to watch a show, for example), they don’t want to be bothered by yet another fan - at this stage in their lives, the Zep guys deserve a break from some of us. :unsure:

For me, a more important reason is that, during the Zep years, when I was young, I embarrassed myself too many times by shamelessly approaching the Zep guys. As I’ve matured, I have acquired some decorum (as well as being prone to an occasional episodic bout of shyness) - and probably a bit of jadedness.

During all our trips to London (and our layovers at Heathrow), my husband and I never once went out in search of the Zep guys or their private homes. To be honest, we were so busy going to concerts, theater, museums, etc. it never occurred to us to spend our time there seeking out the members of LZ or crawling around hedgerow trying to find one of their homes.

I know what you mean about Robert just walking around. The most recent example of this was around three years ago when we saw Robert in a club (he was a guest) and walking out on the street (although he was not alone - he was with other people) when he was performing in a small city. We watched but I wouldn't dare approach or make eye contact. Of course, there is always the gnawing, probably irrational fear that one of them will scrutinize me a bit too closely and think, “That woman looks like an older version of one of those crazy young girls who used to chase us.” :bagoverhead:

A more mature and Beautiful Woman not Older . I think your afraid they will fall head over heels with You.

I'm not going to lie, if I saw one of them on the street, I'd say something. I'm also a teenager and crazed fan. If saw them eating at a restaurant, I wouldn't go up and talk to them. I'd stay until they were leaving and casually bump into them as I was leaving. I should probably learn what to do around famous people, just in case, but as of now I'm just fine being super excited.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...ic=5357&hl=

Check out this thread .I am for to lazy to type all that again.Look at the last entry but there are a few meetings covered in this thread.

Al, thanks for your recalling the meeting with Robert & Jimmy in'98.

Shoot, you didn't get any pic of that moment... :D hahahhaa.

I feel sorry for the woman who was with you and missed to take photos of you with the guys..

Not very nice of you to get rid of her, though... :rolleyes::lol:

I'm not going to lie, if I saw one of them on the street, I'd say something. I'm also a teenager and crazed fan. If saw them eating at a restaurant, I wouldn't go up and talk to them. I'd stay until they were leaving and casually bump into them as I was leaving. I should probably learn what to do around famous people, just in case, but as of now I'm just fine being super excited.

Treat them like a normal person - that is how you should treat them. Being a celebrity or being famous only means one thing - people know your name and who you are but you don't know them. Through my job I work with people who are 'famous' - and they are no different to anybody else. I have worked with people who, when I first met them, I don't know who they were or what they had done, or don't recognise them (oops). Then later I find out and wet my pants! But I treat them like any other non-famous person I work with. It's called professionalism but it's also good manners.

**The above does not apply to egomaniacs celebrities.

A more mature and Beautiful Woman not Older .

I think your afraid they will fall head over heels with You.

Aw, thanks Al. :blush:

As for the head over heels thing, I'm much too old mature for them. :lol: Now that I think of it, when I was a college freshman, I was too old for them. j/k :D

Al, thanks for your recalling the meeting with Robert & Jimmy in'98.

Shoot, you didn't get any pic of that moment... :D hahahhaa.

I feel sorry for the woman who was with you and missed to take photos of you with the guys..

Not very nice of you to get rid of her, though... :rolleyes::lol:

That is not the only time She has done that .Missed a shot in Biloxi with Robert.Missed a shot with Billy Gibbons in Gulfport because She walked off.Still see Her some but She does not get the camera ever.

Aw, thanks Al. :blush:

As for the head over heels thing, I'm much too old mature for them. :lol: Now that I think of it, when I was a college freshman, I was too old for them. j/k :D

Way to true.We have great memories though.

This is a really great thread - thanks so much to "slave to zep" for starting it! I was reading through and it really put a smile on my face :) Really wonderful stories "alwizard03" and "MSG"!! Thanks to everyone who contributed here-brought back some great memories for me as well.

I know that my brief encounter with Jimmy at TSRTS, he was so sweet, genuine and gracious to all of the fans that were there to see their movie (and obviously to see Zep in person). I just remember him shaking everyones hands, signing autographs, and really seeming to enjoy the events unfolding around him. Back at that time, I was pretty nuts over Jimmy (and probably made a complete spectacle of myself at the same time). But you do those kind of things when you are young and I would not take back anything I did for a second.

:blush::P

:lol: When I took his picture he was probably thinking to himself "who is this crazy girl standing on the arms of her chair taking my picture?" :bagoverhead:

This is a really great thread - thanks so much to "slave to zep" for starting it! I was reading through and it really put a smile on my face :) Really wonderful stories "alwizard03" and "MSG"!! Thanks to everyone who contributed here-brought back some great memories for me as well.

I know that my brief encounter with Jimmy at TSRTS, he was so sweet, genuine and gracious to all of the fans that were there to see their movie (and obviously to see Zep in person). I just remember him shaking everyones hands, signing autographs, and really seeming to enjoy the events unfolding around him. Back at that time, I was pretty nuts over Jimmy (and probably made a complete spectacle of myself at the same time). But you do those kind of things when you are young and I would not take back anything I did for a second.

:blush::P

:lol: When I took his picture he was probably thinking to himself "who is this crazy girl standing on the arms of her chair taking my picture?" :bagoverhead:

you're welcome! although im GREEN with envy, i just love hearing all your stories. and im so glad that, according to people like you, they are always polite and generous. another reason they are my favourie band/humans.

Archived