Cover of the new Rolling Stone

mdecav

I'll surely be picking that one up! Thanks for the heads up.

I'm on the fence about not having Jason in the photo. I suppose it's proper in some respects, but he is a critical part of the reunion and being a legacy, he is representing his father.

17439697-17439699-large.jpg

The Return of Led Zeppelin

Behind the scenes at the rehearsals for the biggest show of the year -- plus talk of a tour.

DAVID FRICKE

On June 10th of this year, at 2:30 in the afternoon, the surviving members of Led Zeppelin — guitarist Jimmy Page, singer Robert Plant and bassist John Paul Jones — met in a rehearsal space to play some songs. It was the first time they had been in the same room with instruments since their rough four-song set at Led Zeppelin's 1995 induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. This time, the stakes were higher: to see if they had the strength, empathy and appetite to truly perform as Led Zeppelin again, in their first full concert since the death of drummer John Bonham in 1980.

The location of the rehearsal, somewhere in England, is still a zealously guarded secret. In interviews a few weeks before Led Zeppelin's December 10th show at London's 02 arena — a benefit tribute to the late Ahmet Ertegun, the co-founder of Atlantic Records — Page, Plant and Jones claim they can't remember the date, what they played or even how the idea of reuniting in honor of Ertegun, a close friend and mentor during and after the band's years on the label, came up. They all agree that playing together again, after so long, was a momentous, emotional occasion.

"It was immediate," Page says brightly, sporting a small splint on his left pinkie, the result of a fracture suffered in a fall at home that forced a pause in rehearsals and the rescheduling of the concert, originally set for November 26th. "Everybody went in with a will to work and to enjoy it. It was a delight."

Plant recalls "a lot of big smiles," wearing one himself. The day was "cathartic and therapeutic. No pressure, no weight." Jones claims he "didn't have any doubts. Someone picked a song. We got through it. And it rocked."

But Bonham's son, Jason, can tell you the exact date and hour Led Zeppelin became a band again, because he was there, taking over for his dad. "They might not know what time it was," he says of the other three, "but I know." For him, it was "a real lump in the throat."

"I didn't think there would be an instant sound," says Jason, 41, currently a member of Foreigner and now a father of two himself. "I thought, 'It's going to take some time.' " He was wrong. The band went right into the slow, dark fury of "No Quarter," from 1973's Houses of the Holy. "When the riff came in, there was this look that went around. It was brilliant." Next, the four hit the desert-caravan march of "Kashmir," from 1975's Physical Graffiti. "Then we stopped. Jimmy said, 'Can you give me a hug?' And Robert shouted, 'Yeah, sons of thunder!' "

Finally, at the end of that day, Jason says, "They said, 'When we get together next . . .' " He laughs. "I thought, 'You mean I get another chance at this?' "

— Excerpt From Issue 1041

There are some encouraging quotes from Plant, including this...

"I never wanted to do it. Now I want to do nothing else."

...and this...

"The conveyer belt of expectation is bullshit. If people don't talk about a tour, anything is likely. The more people talk, the more pressure it puts on everybody."

So the message? SHUT UP, EVERYONE! ;)

There's an audio interview with Robert here: http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...-rolling-stone/

(Scroll down to the end of the article)

Robert: Jason's woopin' everybody's ass now.

Robert: The thing is, it's a huge, big reality and I guess it won't be 1973, it'll be 2007 with hints of all the different era's.

Cover of the new Rolling Stone

— Excerpt From Issue 1041

Thanks for sharing that excerpt with us.

I find it interesting that Plant used the word "cathartic" to describe the rehearsal experience. I recently wrote about some of my Zep experiences and shared them with my confessor friend. I later described that process as "cathartic".

SoCal! What store did you go to? Thanks!

B)

Well, as you know, SO CAL is large enough to be its own state or even small country so where exactly in SO CAL: LA County; Orange County; San Bernardino County; Riverside County, San Diego?? :)

I picked up the issue at the newsstand in Santa Monica there are many newsstands around so there's a possiblity you'll find it there. BN or Borders may or may not have in stock.

Edited by myledzep

Thanks for sharing that excerpt with us.

I find it interesting that Plant used the word "cathartic" to describe the rehearsal experience. I recently wrote about some of my Zep experiences and shared them with my confessor friend. I later described that process as "cathartic".

Isn't cathartic always what LZ music has always been about? B)