Has jimmy been interveiwed by the press etc

misty mountain

The BBC did an interview with him as he got off the red bus after the ceremony finished, he seemed happy and was glad they had invited an old timer like himself :)

Can someone link this one? I've seen all the pre-show interviews (the "hurdler" one, for instance) but I can't find the "old timer" (yeah, right :wub: ) one.

Wonder if Alison Krauss felt the same way singing "Black Dog" or "Black Country Woman"? :D

Don't know about those songs but she did say in several interviews that it was a conscious decision not to change the gender on the songs they did for Raising Sand. She felt it took the meaning away and her singing them as they were presented them as a story. I'd assume the same could apply for the Zep tunes.

Check this out

Hey ally ~ This is off topic, but when I was watching Olympic coverage yesterday they did a short feature on the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and showed the exact picture as your avatar. What's the significance of that building Vogue? Both to yourself and to the city of Vancouver, may I ask?

Hey ally ~ This is off topic, but when I was watching Olympic coverage yesterday they did a short feature on the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and showed the exact picture as your avatar. What's the significance of that building Vogue? Both to yourself and to the city of Vancouver, may I ask?

That picture is of a portion of theatre row on Granville Street in downtown Vancouver. It was taken in the 60's before the road was closed to traffic. The Vogue and The Orpheum are still there and for me symbolize the Vancouver that I grew up in. Neon signs were everywhere in those day's and the downtown core had a feel about it that just isn't there anymore. Robert Plant has played the Orpheum twice and as a concert hall it is second to none. The Vogue is just a sign these day's.

As for the significance to the Olympic presentation, I really don't know.

How interesting. The program was emphasizing Vancouver's diversity. You sure have a beautiful city. I've visited there a couple of times but you don't get the full impact on foot as you get from those gorgeous aerial views. Now I'm going to try extra hard to get tickets to an event or two.......preferably something involving our hometown honey Apolo Anton Ohno. :D See ya then, if not before!

How interesting. The program was emphasizing Vancouver's diversity. You sure have a beautiful city. I've visited there a couple of times but you don't get the full impact on foot as you get from those gorgeous aerial views. Now I'm going to try extra hard to get tickets to an event or two.......preferably something involving our hometown honey Apolo Anton Ohno. :D See ya then, if not before!

Absolutely ! Anytime you take the notion to come up please do. We'll show ya around ;) . Might meet you in Seattle first

I think the point about a woman singing it was simply that in literal terms, parts of the lyrics are sexually specifically from a man's point of view--"let me give you every inch of my love" etc.*-not that women are for some reason not allowed to sing Zeppelin songs. Alison did say she wanted to preserve the songs' integrity by not changing the gender, and of course Leona could have done the same, but it would still have sounded bizarre and fake for her to sing some of WLL's lyrics.

*Actually I've changed my mind about this specific bit after reading FireOpal's post elsewhere, but still, all the innuendoes and implications of "way down inside" etc. are from a male perspective.

Led Zeppelin music is universal - it speaks to all kinds of people; how else would it have endured this long if that wasn't the case? So everyone can sing LZ: you, me, Leona Lewis, punk kittens, everybody! Even Robert Plant can sing Led Zeppelin music if he still has a desire to.

Well, it depends. I think for example that some songs are specifically a man's take on women, and it doesn't work the other way around UNLESS you ignore the gender of the singer. (And this problem can apply for reasons other than gender.) For Alison, this preserves the integrity of the song, but to me, to be honest, I think it often makes the lyrics into just vehicles for carrying a tune and guts their meaning. Rather like the bright and perky version of Rod Stewart singing Ol' Man River where he's cheerfully singing lines like "I'm tired of living, but scared of dying!" :rolleyes: I guess everybody CAN sing Zeppelin, I'm just not sure whether I'd want them all to! :D

JMHO.

Archived