Disapointed with TSRTS Collectors Edition

hodgo

I've just received TSRTS Collectors Edition DVD set and I have to say I'm disappointed with it, whilst the contents are good, the packaging is pathetic, the outer box is just thin flimsy card as are the inner boxes. It's sat in my shelving next to the Bob Dylan "Don't Look Back" collectors edition and a couple of others & this TSRTS is the worst of them all. The Dylan outer Box is constructed of a beautifully designed solid outer box, the inner packaging is like wise beautifully designed & constructed & will last many years in this condition. The Zep box on the other hand will be lucky to last more than a week, If I buy a collectors edition & pay good money for it I expect it to be designed to last, after all that is the idea behind a collectors edition, that you keep it to enjoy for many years, you shouldn't have to handle it with kid gloves for fear of it dropping to pieces.

Poor effort Zep & Warners 1 out of 10 for effort & quality, but I suppose that fits with badly edited CD set we've been given, the songs should have been complete without editing, and "Thank You" from the last night should have been included, we fans pay good had earned money for these things, something that has made you all rich, so the product you sell us should be done properly.

Graham

I've just received TSRTS Collectors Edition DVD set and I have to say I'm disappointed with it, whilst the contents are good, the packaging is pathetic, the outer box is just thin flimsy card as are the inner boxes. It's sat in my shelving next to the Bob Dylan "Don't Look Back" collectors edition and a couple of others & this TSRTS is the worst of them all. The Dylan outer Box is constructed of a beautifully designed solid outer box, the inner packaging is like wise beautifully designed & constructed & will last many years in this condition. The Zep box on the other hand will be lucky to last more than a week, If I buy a collectors edition & pay good money for it I expect it to be designed to last, after all that is the idea behind a collectors edition, that you keep it to enjoy for many years, you shouldn't have to handle it with kid gloves for fear of it dropping to pieces.

Poor effort Zep & Warners 1 out of 10 for effort & quality, but I suppose that fits with badly edited CD set we've been given, the songs should have been complete without editing, and "Thank You" from the last night should have been included, we fans pay good had earned money for these things, something that has made you all rich, so the product you sell us should be done properly.

Graham

I'm with you, especially with the packaging (if my collectors stuff falls out of the DVD holder one more time, something's going to get bent). Maybe we built our expecations too high, but the whole TSRTS experience (CD/DVD/theater with speakers that couldn't handle the 5.1 audio) seems like a rush job and really leaves me shaking my head like nothing the band has ever released before. At least Mothership's packaging and sound quality are superb, but TSRTS should have been handled with as much care.

Totally agree, the packaging is rubbish, nothing like I expected from the advertised pictures. Same as solar, when I opened the box all my cards fell out. I don't mind the t-shirt though, I was expecting the worse after reading some reports about it.

I know how you feel guys, the grade of cardboard used in the packaging is far more important than the music and film isn't it?

Considering there are major frustrations with the CD's edits/chops, and a few added seconds of Peter Grant/Cole where they shouldn't be in the DVD, the packaging is just another issue. As much a Frankenstein job as the original TSRTS soundtrack was, this version is even worse because the immaculate audio quality only enhances the slices and dices when you compare them to both the actual boots of the shows and the initial release of the movie and soundtrack. Like I said, it all feels like a rush job.

EDIT to add:

Also yes, the packaging IS important. We're talking about the band that revolutionized what album packaging could be and delayed release of HOTH because the colors weren't right. It's the BAND that built the expecations of the packaging and presentation as an artform. What's wrong with holding them to that standard?

Good to hear I'm not alone on this, I just think the whole of the TSRTS Release packages have been completely botched in a criminal way, everything about every part of it appears to have been done on the cheap. For a Start I accept that legal reasons prevented the video from being changed, but to not release the songs in their complete form on the CD release just shows a complete lack of thought for the quality of the product we fans will get, it should have mastered twice, the edited version for the DVD & a complete version for the CD, it just shows a complete lack of effort whatever happened to Page the perfectionist.

The more I sit looking at the Collectors edition DVD set side by side with the Dylan set, Monterey Pop set & others, I just feel cheated at the realisation that the Whole of TSRTS release project has been done for pure profit & forget the quality, quite frankly it's a disgrace. :angry:

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm afraid to handle the damn thing for fear of paper cuts. On mine, inner box that holds the two cases came out of the outter box complete with a crease in it and the glued folded tab is 1/2 unglued. Where did they have the packaging done? China??? :unsure: I'm glad I bought it, and want it mainly for the content on disc 2......but this is fucking pathetic.

Out of all the multi DVD boxes I have (director's editions, multi film series boxes,etc... and I have LOTS of them) this is by far the cheapest packaging of them all. And to top it off, until this came in the mail, the 2003 DVD had that honor. :(

Led Wallet strikes again!! :whistling:

Given the price of the colllector's edition i am not sure why people expected more elaborated packaging.I think you got what you paid for . I actually like the soundtrack sonically and the edits dont bother me as much as it does others.(I guess i dont listen to bootlegs and the Garden Tapes etc so I dont know what I am missing)

Given the price of the colllector's edition i am not sure why people expected more elaborated packaging.I think you got what you paid for . I actually like the soundtrack sonically and the edits dont bother me as much as it does others.(I guess i dont listen to bootlegs and the Garden Tapes etc so I dont know what I am missing)

For me, it's not so much about the bootlegs as it is the original soundtrack. Things have been changed around so much -- I mean, you listen to TSRTS for that many years, you know where things are. Even THOSE have been rearranged and re-edited.

And as for the price, that's bollocks. I paid $55 bucks for the DVD and CD for TSRTS. When they put as much time and effort into the album covers of the original releases, the packaging of the first box sets and then the remasters, why SHOULDN'T more be expected of this release?

For me, it's not so much about the bootlegs as it is the original soundtrack. Things have been changed around so much -- I mean, you listen to TSRTS for that many years, you know where things are. Even THOSE have been rearranged and re-edited.

And as for the price, that's bollocks. I paid $55 bucks for the DVD and CD for TSRTS. When they put as much time and effort into the album covers of the original releases, the packaging of the first box sets and then the remasters, why SHOULDN'T more be expected of this release?

Well it paid $30.00 for it and that is not the cheapest price either. It all depends where you live i guess

I know how you feel guys, the grade of cardboard used in the packaging is far more important than the music and film isn't it?

You completely miss the point, I could have bought the standard packaging if all I wanted was the music, A Collectors edition should be something different, you are paying extra money & as it's designed for Collectors it should be quality product that set's it apart, other artists can do it so why not Zep.

You mention the quality of the music, well I'm sorry thats been botched also, the mere fact that the songs on the soundtrack CD have been edited & badly at that is a disgrace, it's also been advertised as the complete song list for the shows at MSG over the 3 night stand, well thats false advertising for a start "Thank You" from the final night has been omitted.

TSRTS was a botched job when it came out 30 years ago, the remastered version only completes that tradition today, I'm sorry but with 80 minutes available on CD there was enough room for the complete songs unedited & also the inclusion of the missing song "Thank You"

Graham

Well it paid $30.00 for it and that is not the cheapest price either. It all depends where you live i guess

Let me rephrase - that $55 was total price for the collectors edition DVD and the CD soundtrack. Two separate items, not solely for the DVD. Still, you're right - it wasn't cheap. But it WAS cheaply made.

Let me rephrase - that $55 was total price for the collectors edition DVD and the CD soundtrack. Two separate items, not solely for the DVD. Still, you're right - it wasn't cheap. But it WAS cheaply made.

I paid $50.00 for both

Exactly!!! It was Cheaply made in every respect, and for a band like Zeppelin who like to make it be known that whatever they release is quality driven, then this whole thing makes a joke of that & does them no good whatsoever, I'm sorry but this is a lousy way to treat your fans who pay good money.

...and it's not like I expect some kind of elaborate hard back packaging.........like Kiss does (to make up for lack of content :whistling::lol:) In fact it "seems" as though they wanted to be elaborate, yet failed miserably in the quality dept. I would have been much happier with the old standard double sided plastic dvd snap case. I just know that 5 yrs from now this thing will be in tatters.....all while much cheaper to produce dual disc boxes will still be in new condition.

I'm enjoying the cd soundtrack despite the song edits. With the cardboard sleeves though, I made cdr copies immediately so I don't have to scratch up my original cd's sliding them in and out. I've NEVER liked cardboard sleeve's. I don't understand this.

I too am perplexed at the lack of quality packaging and sound edits in the cd for all the reasons previously stated. I don't buy the excuse of Jimmy Page not releasing a 'bootleg' series because of performance quality issues anymore. Using the TSRST as an example, those unedited boots are better as far as continuity within each song.

I ordered mine from Amazon and it came in a manila soft mailing package, not a box. So the thin outer box of the Collector's Edition was smushed. I was pissed, and considered sending it back, but I really wanted to see the contents and watch the movie, so I opened it. The goodies are OK, but I guess I would've paid the $16 for just the movie, I don't think it was worth it at twice the price.

I ordered mine from Amazon and it came in a manila soft mailing package, not a box. So the thin outer box of the Collector's Edition was smushed.

That's Exactly where I got mine from & how it was packaged, the outer box is creased in a few places, amazon should have posted it a box, but regardless of that it would have got creased soon anyway due to the crappy quality of the box set.

Graham

It's funny to hear all this because the first thing I thought when I got to Borders...this cheap thing doesn't look like the pic I saw on the internet....well it's reunion all right....The Return of Led Wallet :D

P.S. Would have been cool if it came in a box like that remastered set....the hard cardboard one where the cds came in little hardcover books!!!

Archived