Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

I have a friend from -nova scotia and she wrote an article for her local newspaper awhile back, remembering -the halifax explosion. there was a ship in the harbor there, a long time ago, and it had exploded and caught fire to the city, causing alot of damage. one of the things i remember from the article, is that the ship had a one and a half ton anchor and it landed like two miles away up on land.

Okay, this will be my typical Canadian weekend scene at the cabin - starts tomorrow at 3:30am!

PolarBear.jpg

RD:

I'm goin' do about the same thing...no cabin but I will be at the beach...gotta go and get on the road..

Juliet

PS MZ...Yes..I know about the Halifax explosion...it claimed alot of lives....

I have a friend from -nova scotia and she wrote an article for her local newspaper awhile back, remembering -the halifax explosion. there was a ship in the harbor there, a long time ago, and it had exploded and caught fire to the city, causing alot of damage. one of the things i remember from the article, is that the ship had a one and a half ton anchor and it landed like two miles away up on land.

It was a supply ship full of explosives and weapons that was heading for Europe during the First World War. She was hit by another boat entering the harbour. Up untill the A Bomb, the explosion in Halifax was the largest single man made explosion ever recorded. An absolutely devestating blast that leveled most of the city

Looks like we're heading for an election of our own. Here's hoping Harper gets his arrogant ass booted out.

Either way, it's time to end this minority government fiasco. Mind you, with all the deal making and selling out that has gone on with all the party's, there ain't a lot to choose from

Either way, it's time to end this minority government fiasco. Mind you, with all the deal making and selling out that has gone on with all the party's, there ain't a lot to choose from

I have a feeling Harper's pulling the old switcharoo on his own election timetable BECAUSE he doesn't want another party to get a majority, if he can't win himself. I wish people were less passive here. There's so much going on politically that slips through the cracks (chasms, more like) because people don't plug in. Take the voting system itself. You're forced to go strategically if you think your candidate's party won't win, so you end up voting for "not that guy", as opposed to having your vote count for the party even if your candidate doesn't win. I'm on something that's making me woozy so I don't know fi this makes sense. But you're right, everyone has blood and lies on their hands, so I guess it's up to the voters to get informed on who stands for what issues and vote that way. Still, we're handcuffed in a way due to the way the voting system's set up. As to your last point, at least we don't only have two parties like our neighbours south.

I have a feeling Harper's pulling the old switcharoo on his own election timetable BECAUSE he doesn't want another party to get a majority, if he can't win himself. I wish people were less passive here. There's so much going on politically that slips through the cracks (chasms, more like) because people don't plug in. Take the voting system itself. You're forced to go strategically if you think your candidate's party won't win, so you end up voting for "not that guy", as opposed to having your vote count for the party even if your candidate doesn't win. I'm on something that's making me woozy so I don't know fi this makes sense. But you're right, everyone has blood and lies on their hands, so I guess it's up to the voters to get informed on who stands for what issues and vote that way. Still, we're handcuffed in a way due to the way the voting system's set up. As to your last point, at least we don't only have two parties like our neighbours south.

Your making sense :D and your absolutely right that at the moment we are forced to vote that way. That's why I think it's time to end this minority government. It may mean that a party I didn't vote for becomes the government but it will force a change in leadership with at least two of the party's maybe even our fourth party..The Bloc

Looks like we're heading for an election of our own. Here's hoping Harper gets his arrogant ass booted out.

Harper wants an a election now because he is afraid that if Obama becomes president and there is a election up here after that he will be out on his ass.

To any Canadiens near Vancouver Island. How bad was the Earthquake that CNN is just breaking news about? Anyone killed?

This was the largest of a series of quakes off the northern tip of Vancouver Island ( Port Hardy ) that have been happening all week. Originally registered as a 6.1 but downgraded to 5.8. More quakes are expected. As of yet, no deaths or injuries reported.

Hello:

I see that Harper made a law making a fixed election date for October 9 /09...then he broke his own law so he could call an election now because he doesn't think parliament can function even though he expects another minority...

The writ has not been dropped nor the date been set but the election ads have started...

So why do we have a governor general? Why do we have laws? Why do we have a Steven Harper?

Perhaps her Majesty, QUEEN ELIZABETH, should intervene?

Hello:

I see that Harper made a law making a fixed election date for October 9 /09...then he broke his own law so he could call an election now because he doesn't think parliament can function even though he expects another minority...

The writ has not been dropped nor the date been set but the election ads have started...

So why do we have a governor general? Why do we have laws? Why do we have a Steven Harper?

Perhaps her Majesty, QUEEN ELIZABETH, should intervene?

Makes you wonder doesn't it ! I guess Harper feels that we're all a sleep at the wheel ( he's probably right ..lol ) and will just follow along as we tend to do in this country.

I do agree that the gov. isn't working at the moment but he should stick to his own pledge and go with the fixed election date. Clearly he is worried that he will form the opposition if he waits

Makes you wonder doesn't it ! I guess Harper feels that we're all a sleep at the wheel ( he's probably right ..lol ) and will just follow along as we tend to do in this country.

I do agree that the gov. isn't working at the moment but he should stick to his own pledge and go with the fixed election date. Clearly he is worried that he will form the opposition if he waits

If he would just have a cigar instead of an election i would say hats off to harper

Harper wants an a election now because he is afraid that if Obama becomes president and there is a election up here after that he will be out on his ass.

Yeah I think you're right. If I were more enterprising about this, I'd research and compare the number of times that U.S. presidents and our prime ministers were both liberal/democratic or conservative/republican, versus the times they were of the opposing parties. It would be interesting to see what influence there was and to what extent.

Harper is very arrogant and privately has no problem contravening the democratic process to get what he wants. The public sees this only in small doses. But I know people who've had to work with him. Ass.

Hi:

Well...I guess the decision will be soon... Stevie babe...just has to walk up the street to visit the governor general...then we are off to the races...

I could care less....there isn't much difference between the candidates in my riding..they scratch each others' backs sometimes if you ask me...one minute opponents...the next...friends!!!!

Money is the real source of power anyhow...not some two bit politician...

Hi:

Well...I guess the decision will be soon... Stevie babe...just has to walk up the street to visit the governor general...then we are off to the races...

I could care less....there isn't much difference between the candidates in my riding..they scratch each others' backs sometimes if you ask me...one minute opponents...the next...friends!!!!

Money is the real source of power anyhow...not some two bit politician...

True and I'm as skeptical as anyone but, we need to vote and, we need to vote for who we honestly feel is the best party to lead this country. It's time to start thinking what's best for Canada and not what's best for the special interest. This election may not give us a defined answer as to the future of this country but, we need to take the first step and we need to do it now. This minority gov. is not functioning. Nor will another

Well, oh well!

That bloody redneck, Harper, he knows quite well he's going to be re-elect, minoritary.

:angry:

Canadians from 'coast to coast', let's unite our forces and kick the shit outta Harper...

Viva la Revolucion!

Hilarious! A former member of the Young Liberal Club and a person who was born and raised in Toronto is a "redneck".

I suppose that any Eastern Canuck who move to any point west of Thunder Bay would be considered to be "turncoat rednecks"?????

Harper is very arrogant and privately has no problem contravening the democratic process to get what he wants. The public sees this only in small doses. But I know people who've had to work with him. Ass.

If he was as arrogant as you believe than he would NOT be putting his job on the line and calling an early election. He has a responsibility to all Canadians to move the country forward with a Parliamentary agenda and if an agenda cannot be agreed upon by all parties then it must be dissolved.

If he was as arrogant as you believe than he would NOT be putting his job on the line and calling an early election. He has a responsibility to all Canadians to move the country forward with a Parliamentary agenda and if an agenda cannot be agreed upon by all parties then it must be dissolved.

Hi Zepaholic,

I think we're talking about two separate issues here. If, as you rightly point out, the circumstances merit for parliament having to be dissolved (going against his own rules on calling elections notwithstanding), then whether or not he's arrogant is irrelevant. He HAS to, right? But if you read my post, I was referring to his thinly veiled disdain for the democratic process and his attitude towards many of those he has to work with in government when the cameras are off.

I'm glad he's calling an election as there is one issue that I agree with him on (Arctic), and disagree with just about everything else. I list them, but I really mean everything else, so take your pick.

But I hope this clarifies things.

Patrycja