Has anyone seen the PBS show about the uninsured in America?

rosiegirl

Last night I saw this program, and I was so upset about how badly people are treated in the U.S. becouse they don't have any health care. I live here, and I must say I am very disgusted with it all. The stories of those people, just broke my heart. If anyone saw that program, tell me what you thought of it. Or if you have any thoughts on this subject, I would like to hear them.

Last night I saw this program, and I was so upset about how badly people are treated in the U.S. becouse they don't have any health care. I live here, and I must say I am very disgusted with it all. The stories of those people, just broke my heart. If anyone saw that program, tell me what you thought of it. Or if you have any thoughts on this subject, I would like to hear them.

Coincedently, I was talking about your health care in the President thread.

I love your country a lot, and I've been a fair few times, so I had considered the future possibility of moving there. Then I remember about your heath care and I think, 'No way'.

We've got it all for free here.

Coincedently, I was talking about your health care in the President thread.

I love your country a lot, and I've been a fair few times, so I had considered the future possibility of moving there. Then I remember about your heath care and I think, 'No way'.

We've got it all for free here.

You are very smart in taking this into consideration concerning where you are to live. If you don't have a job here that offers a good health plan, or if you don't make enough to buy private insurance, which is extremely expensive you are pretty much out of luck. I would like to know about the quality of your system over there.

You are very smart in taking this into consideration concerning where you are to live. If you don't have a job here that offers a good health plan, or if you don't make enough to buy private insurance, which is extremely expensive you are pretty much out of luck. I would like to know about the quality of your system over there.

In Britain we only pay if we want to go private, say, through someone like BUPA, and some people do if they don't want to wait. Private healthcare is usually considered the best, you get it through a good job (and it also covers everyone else in your family). Some places will charge you through the roof, but you only pay a tiny amount and that goes from your pay.

For everyone else it's the National Health Service - NHS.

Everything, save the opticians (it's a free consultation, but you pay for the glasses), is free. The only thing you pay for is medication, and if you have a lot of medication, and are exempt from certain circumstances, you don't have to pay for them. And if you're prescribed a particularly drug, no one but the doctor has any say in it.

You don't pay for medication if you're:

* are 60 or over

* are under 16

* are 16-18 and in full-time education

* are pregnant, or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid exemption certificate

* have a listed medical condition and have a valid exemption certificate

* have a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without help from another person and have a valid exemption certificate

* hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disablement

* are an NHS inpatient

* unemployed

Physiotherapy is free. Radiotherapy, operations, chemotherapy, maternity care, caring for the elderly, doctors visits, dentistry - it's all free.

We had a problem with bugs in hospitals, in fact it got quite serious, but now every hospital requires that visitors wash their hands with an alcohol-based germ killing solution on entry and on leaving. And believe me, it's powerful stuff! It's becoming a lot more tougher now, and subsequently, thankfully, it appears that we're a lot more better.

Hope that helps.

In Britain we only pay if we want to go private, say, through someone like BUPA, and some people do if they don't want to wait. Private healthcare is usually considered the best, you get it through a good job (and it also covers everyone else in your family). Some places will charge you through the roof, but you only pay a tiny amount and that goes from your pay.

For everyone else it's the National Health Service - NHS.

Everything, save the opticians (it's a free consultation, but you pay for the glasses), is free. The only thing you pay for is medication, and if you have a lot of medication, and are exempt from certain circumstances, you don't have to pay for them. And if you're prescribed a particularly drug, no one but the doctor has any say in it.

You don't pay for medication if you're:

* are 60 or over

* are under 16

* are 16-18 and in full-time education

* are pregnant, or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid exemption certificate

* have a listed medical condition and have a valid exemption certificate

* have a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without help from another person and have a valid exemption certificate

* hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disablement

* are an NHS inpatient

* unemployed

Physiotherapy is free. Radiotherapy, operations, chemotherapy, maternity care, caring for the elderly, doctors visits, dentistry - it's all free.

We had a problem with bugs in hospitals, in fact it got quite serious, but now every hospital requires that visitors wash their hands with an alcohol-based germ killing solution on entry and on leaving. And believe me, it's powerful stuff! It's becoming a lot more tougher now, and subsequently, thankfully, it appears that we're a lot more better.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that gave me some insight on your country's system. If anyone else would like to tell me about their healthcare system, please do I am very interested.

That's because you believe that healthcare is a government entitlement -- it's not.

I have good healthcare because I made it a priority for me and my family. I don't go at it believing that it is something that is owed to me.

That's because you believe that healthcare is a government entitlement -- it's not.

I have good healthcare because I made it a priority for me and my family. I don't go at it believing that it is something that is owed to me.

I don't know how you got that out of what I said. If you saw the show, you would know it is not a matter of people just waiting around their whole life doing nothing and then when they get sick with a major illness such as cancer, or as in the case of of one man, who lost his leg due to diabetis, expect the goverment to help them. For most people this is not the case. This man worked his whole life,and had to stop becouse he could not stand anymore, so he had to be out of work and his health care was running out becouse they took so long to get him a permanent prosthetic leg. All he wanted to do was get it so he could return to work. This was just one of the stories in the program. So you see it is not as simple as you put it. People who have worked hard and paid into insurance their whole lives are dying through no fault of their own

health care?

pff..

an hour in the ocean will cure anything.

I know that for a fact, at least concerning skin maladies. I had severe poison ivey one time that was cured after being in the ocean for an afternoon. The ocean will also clear up your zits and dandruff.

Unfortunately, it's just one of those problems we just hope won't affect us or it'll just mildly dissolve away. And being the family's breadwinner is definitely obsolete in whether you'll be provided when the time comes or not, I heard many of those stories you've mentioned.

[oh yeah, the ocean can make you sick too, so I guessed it's evened out, specially here in Long Island, NY]

lmao; I love how this thread de-railed into being about oceans within 2 posts.

Regarding the issue at hand; oh well. Theres 300 million people in the U.S., you can't save them all.

Natural selection's a bitch.

P.S. I heard the same for lake water... something about the bacteria in it? Hmm.

Well I guess I am dealing with a bunch of people who this subject has not effected their lives yet, and God willing it won't. If anyone would like to discuss the healthcare system in the U.S., not how the ocean can cure everything, than please do.

lmao; I love how this thread de-railed into being about oceans within 2 posts.

Regarding the issue at hand; oh well. Theres 300 million people in the U.S., you can't save them all.

Natural selection's a bitch.

P.S. I heard the same for lake water... something about the bacteria in it? Hmm.

That's pretty cold, I used to be able to get into an real conversation on this site, boy how it has changed.

I don't know how you got that out of what I said. If you saw the show, you would know it is not a matter of people just waiting around their whole life doing nothing and then when they get sick with a major illness such as cancer, or as in the case of of one man, who lost his leg due to diabetis, expect the goverment to help them. For most people this is not the case. This man worked his whole life,and had to stop becouse he could not stand anymore, so he had to be out of work and his health care was running out becouse they took so long to get him a permanent prosthetic leg. All he wanted to do was get it so he could return to work. This was just one of the stories in the program. So you see it is not as simple as you put it. People who have worked hard and paid into insurance their whole lives are dying through no fault of their own

Nobody dies because their insurance runs out in this country. There are other options than just waiting for your insurance to do it's job. People need to be very sharp about being good consumers too when it comes to healthcare. And take it from my experience, you need to be prepared to do battle in order to make the system work for you.

My wife is a kidney transplant recipient. Prior to her having her surgery (her kidney was donated by her brother) my wife was on renal dialysis for one year. Her dialysis and subsequent surgery was paid for with private health insurance, but a large number of the people at her dialysis center were on medical (California's social healthcare) and social security. Yet they were getting the same care as my wife... at taxpayers expense. So don't believe all of these gloom and doom stories you hear about our healthcare. You need to take into account that a lot of this is politically charged. Especially right now.

In any event, if you think the government does a good job at running anything...

*cough* Fannie Mae ... Feddie Mac....

Then why would anyone think the government would do a better job running our healthcare?

Yet they were getting the same care as my wife... at taxpayers expense. So don't believe all of these gloom and doom stories you hear about our healthcare. You need to take into account that a lot of this is politically charged. Especially right now.

:thumbsup:

In any event, if you think the government does a good job at running anything...

I'm sure you saw or heard the Barney Frank/Bill O'Reilly exchange.

The lousy Dem/Leftists can dish it out but they CAN'T TAKE IT!!!! :lol:

:thumbsup:

I'm sure you saw or heard the Barney Frank/Bill O'Reilly exchange.

The lousy Dem/Leftists can dish it out but they CAN'T TAKE IT!!!! :lol:

That was some of the best television I have ever seen. Not really a big fan of O'Reilly, but he certainly gave Barney Frank every ounce of what was coming to him. Frank should be tarred and feathered and rode out of town on a rail for his hand in the financial problems at "Fannie & Freddie's"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz-d6WPTXa8...feature=related

That was some of the best television I have ever seen. Not really a big fan of O'Reilly, but he certainly gave Barney Frank every ounce of what was coming to him. Frank should be tarred and feathered and rode out of town on a rail for his hand in the financial problems at "Fannie & Freddie's"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz-d6WPTXa8...feature=related

That was hysterical!! And poor Sarah whined about how badly she was treated by Katy Couric. I wonder how she'd hold up to that kind of attack?

:huh:

Nobody dies because their insurance runs out in this country. There are other options than just waiting for your insurance to do it's job. People need to be very sharp about being good consumers too when it comes to healthcare. And take it from my experience, you need to be prepared to do battle in order to make the system work for you.

My wife is a kidney transplant recipient. Prior to her having her surgery (her kidney was donated by her brother) my wife was on renal dialysis for one year. Her dialysis and subsequent surgery was paid for with private health insurance, but a large number of the people at her dialysis center were on medical (California's social healthcare) and social security. Yet they were getting the same care as my wife... at taxpayers expense. So don't believe all of these gloom and doom stories you hear about our healthcare. You need to take into account that a lot of this is politically charged. Especially right now.

Then why would anyone think the government would do a better job running our healthcare?

I am sorry to hear that your wife had to go through such an ordeal with her health, and I do hope she has made or is making a full recovery. However I still don't know why you still think that my coments are about expecting the Goverment to take care of things. I am mostly talking about private health care and health care provided through a persons job.

I am sorry to hear that your wife had to go through such an ordeal with her health, and I do hope she has made or is making a full recovery. However I still don't know why you still think that my coments are about expecting the Goverment to take care of things. I am mostly talking about private health care and health care provided through a persons job.

Fair enough, but my point is that health insurance companies are just like auto insurance companies. Their job is try and deny claims and maximize their profits.

Not that it really is that simple. But individuals need to be good consumers and figure out how to work the system to their best advantage. I can't tell you how many times and how many battles I have had with the insurance company for my wife. But I go at it the same way I would go after an auto insurance company adjuster who tries to get you discouraged and accept less. You have to fight. Fight everyday and all day if you need to. Wear them down and get what you need is my advise. In my wife's situation, whether it is dealing with the insurance or the Doctors -- I am the one who plays the bad guy. And trust me, I can wear them down and intimidate them if need be.

I feel sorry for the guy in your story who waited around for his insurance to take care of his leg. But part of me makes me think he just didn't fight hard enough. Bottom line: private healthcare (HMO or otherwise) works if you are willing to be your own patient advocate, or the patient advocate for another in need of services.

I knew someone who had insurance and was having chest pains. They went to their doctor who sent them to the hospital for tests. The insurance company wouldn't pay for the tests because they said the patient hadn't signed a pre-existing condition clause in their contract with the insurance company. The patient asked to be sent a copy of the form so it could be signed (figuring it had just been some sort of oversight by one or both parties). The insurance company would not send the form and charged the patient 30 thousand dollars. The patient had to fight for several years before it was finally covered.

I also know someone who worked full time and could not afford health insurance. They had to go to the hospital for emergency surgery and recovery, and were billed 200 thousand dollars.

After I got divorced my kid was still on her dad's insurance. He lost his job, didn't tell me, and my kid got sick before i could put her on my insurance. When I brought her to the clinic they refused to see her until I threw a fit in the waiting room. Then they sent me back to talk to billing. I left my kid crying and doubled over in pain in the waiting room while I went back and haggled with billing. They finally agreed to see her if I paid at least half up front. When we saw the doctor, the first words out of her mouth were, "Don't you have a job?" I said, "As a matter of fact, I have two."

If you think nationalized healthcare is some kind of commie freakout on yer ass, all I can say is let's get rid of public schools, then. Healthcare comes first, and we are idiots to leave it to the insurance companies.

Thanks, that gave me some insight on your country's system. If anyone else would like to tell me about their healthcare system, please do I am very interested.

Hi rosiegirl~~I originally got health care with an HMO through my employer and when I quit the job (20+ years ago) I continued as an individual and have gradually added family members to it. I am extremely fortunate that I got in with their High Options plan so nearly ALL medical costs.....routine exams, tests, procedures, surgery & hospital stay, you name it.....are covered in FULL save for a $7 copay. Prescription meds are a mere $5/month! Of course I do pay a pretty hefty monthly premium but it's still well within my family's budget. I am so satisfied with this HMO that I hate the thought of ever having to move from here and having to start over. Wish everyone could have the same quality healthcare system that I have. (does that sound like an advertisement? haa)

ateda

Fair enough, but my point is that health insurance companies are just like auto insurance companies. Their job is try and deny claims and maximize their profits.

Not that it really is that simple. But individuals need to be good consumers and figure out how to work the system to their best advantage. I can't tell you how many times and how many battles I have had with the insurance company for my wife. But I go at it the same way I would go after an auto insurance company adjuster who tries to get you discouraged and accept less. You have to fight. Fight everyday and all day if you need to. Wear them down and get what you need is my advise. In my wife's situation, whether it is dealing with the insurance or the Doctors -- I am the one who plays the bad guy. And trust me, I can wear them down and intimidate them if need be.

I feel sorry for the guy in your story who waited around for his insurance to take care of his leg. But part of me makes me think he just didn't fight hard enough. Bottom line: private healthcare (HMO or otherwise) works if you are willing to be your own patient advocate, or the patient advocate for another in need of services.

You are so right about fighting, and the PBS show did not go into all the details about each case, all I can say about you is that your wife is very lucky to have you to by her side to fight for her life. Everybody has different and complicated situations and nobody should have to die before their time due to their insurance policy's bottom line.

please correct if I am wrong, but did'nt our beloved Robert do a fundraiser for a neighbor of his who had cancer. If I am correct about that, then you can see that no matter where you live or who you are sometimes we just need some help. If anyone knows about how that turned out please bring me up to date.

Archived