New Vinyl Replicas Box Set:

Strider

Okay, I have all the original Zeppelin albums on vinyl, from Led Zeppelin I to

Coda.

Led Zeppelin I and II were bought a day or two after Christmas in 1969; Zeppelin

III was a Christmas present in 1970; and Zeppelin IV a Christmas present in 1971.

All the rest of my Zeppelin records I bought either on the day of release or no

more than a day or two later.

Additionally, I bought all the Classic records vinyl remasters on 180gram vinyl

that were issued a few years back.

I have the Complete Studio Recordings box set that came out in the mid-90's.

I have several of the Japanese mini-vinyl replicas also: III; Houses of the Holy;

Physical Graffiti; and Song Remains the Same.

I have the special box set of the TSRTS dvd and cd that came out last year.

I have the special edition of the BBC sessions; How the West Was Won; and

the Led Zeppelin DVD from 2003.

In short, from the time I first became a fan of Led Zeppelin in 1969, I have

bought just about EVERY official release in their entire history...some several

times over.

Hell, I even think I still have some old Zeppelin cassettes lying around somewhere.

So, tell me, is there ANY reason why I need to get this new box set of the Vinyl

replica cds?

Is there really a sonic upgrade from earlier remasters? I've got all the original

album covers and sleeves..what do I need with mini replicas?

Here's your chance, fanboys, to convince me that I should put this on my Christmas

list.

times over.

i'm about the same age you are cause 1969/70 was when i started uying all the zeppelin stuff.i have the original vinyl lps 2 times over,all the cd releases.cassette bootlegs,books,articles all the released cds,the first & second box setsvarious dvds and bootlegs.my zep collection is close to 1000 cds/lps/dvds/vhs tapes,you name it i have it.

i'm not wasting my money on the rerelased cds or the vinyls,hell i have them all already.

if you colect like me,you are tearing up yourself whether or not to buy them or not.wll hell,if ya can't fightt saying no to buying them,buy them.but i won't be.

I get almost everything Zeppelin I can get my hands on, but I won't be buying this. I already have everything on vinyl at least twice. I also have Complete Studio Recording on CDs, and I don't even like cds. I'd much rather listen to vinyl. If I wanted these on cds, but didn't have CSR, then I'd buy them. Otherwise what do I want with miniture covers when I have the large ones, and take a sound quality cut?

Well, so far it looks like the majority of you are saying no to the new box

set.

I take it then, that the cd sound is not any major upgrade from the first cd remastering

job done in 1993 by Jimmy Page and George Shapiro?

And is there no booklet that comes with the new box set with essays and photos?

I was thinking of maybe trading in my Complete Studio Recordings box as credit

towards purchasing the new box set.

I dunno, man. I think it's just something for the hardcore completist. If you have the previous boxset remasters you ought to be good to go.

When they offer up some new, unreleased live material I'll be back on board to buy new stuff. In the meantime, I'm set.

Strider, I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I've yet to see first hand the extras beside the sleeves. The CSR has been a trusty companion for the last 15 years.

Meg

I was thinking of maybe trading in my Complete Studio Recordings box as credit

towards purchasing the new box set.

Coda.

Led Zeppelin I and II were bought a day or two after Christmas in 1969; Zeppelin

III was a Christmas present in 1970; and Zeppelin IV a Christmas present in 1971.

I have several of the Japanese mini-vinyl replicas also: III; Houses of the Holy;

times over.

Hell, I even think I still have some old Zeppelin cassettes lying around somewhere.

So, tell me, is there ANY reason why I need to get this new box set of the Vinyl

replica cds?

Is there really a sonic upgrade from earlier remasters? I've got all the original

Here's your chance, fanboys, to convince me that I should put this on my Christmas

list.

You really don't need it. There's no need to keep buying the same songs over and over again.

Zeppelin is well represented at the department stores this Holiday Season.....

Best Buy has a good supply of all of their releases, including the new Boxed Set.

Fry's also has Zeppelin material prominently displayed.

If you buy only one Zeppelin CD Boxed set.... then this new set is the one to have, over the crop circles, or the other boxed set..... The key thing is the original artwork, That does it for me. The artwork on the first complete boxed set was not to my liking...the hardcase booklet with the tiny picture of the album cover.... what the fuck were they thinking ? ? ?

Like I say.... if you're going to get just one boxed set....then this latest boxed set is the one to get.... over the crop circles, and the first boxed set...

I've just bought the UK edition.

I have bought various releases over the years - the original 1980 versions, the 2 boxed sets from the 90's, the subsequent 1990 releases, and the Complete studio recordings. (Note I do not have the japanese mini sleeve versions though, so cannot compare to these.)

I was initially not sure what to expect from this set.

Having played the CD's, I am blown away by the difference. Although the same 90's source tapes were used I believe, there is definitely some additional processing or mixing that has been done. The sound is far clearer, and I noticed many differences where there were things I have never noticed before.

Everything just sounds clearer, with lots more detail in quieter parts and in the background. I noticed different guitar parts that I have never noticed before.

Strangely, there is a cut on Carouselambra - you don't hear Plant sing 'and it happened Tuesday' nearing the end (Tuesday I believe is when Karac died?)

The Song remains the same is the new 2007 edition, but the artwork is all from the 1976 version. The booklet is included inside the album cover.

Coda includes the 'missing' four songs that were included on the 90's box sets, so it is complete.

The cover artwork is all absolutely beautifully done. Everything is identical to the original vinyl releases, including the rotating wheel on III, the wraparound slip on HOTH, and the various inner sleeves. You also get the alternative rare LZ 1 cover, and all 6 ITTOD covers. Presence even has the embossed cover and sticker.

A nice touch is that the inner sleeves all have a plastic sleeve to protect the disc, and no tight fitting discs like on the previous box sets. Everything is housed in a solid thick card box.

I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the set.

Coda.

times over.

replica cds?

list.

depending on how much money you have for fun and how much you consider yourself a collector / fan

in this case you must buy it, it's a lovely edition

I've about 1000 led zeppelin albums and I didn't buy all these last vinyl editions because they're too expensive here (80 euro + postage)

I can't buy it in the US because we've serious problems with our postal service so the risk is to pay a big amount for registered shipping costs plus about a 36% for custom taxes ... (can you imagine the total amount? 55$ records 30$ postage + taxes .. more than 100$!!)

I'll wait for a second hand copy B) ... yes because I'm a collector so I have to buy it, sooner or later :D

[...]

The key thing is the original artwork, That does it for me. The artwork on the first complete boxed set was not to my liking...the hardcase booklet with the tiny picture of the album cover.... what the fuck were they thinking ? ? ?

Like I say.... if you're going to get just one boxed set....then this latest boxed set is the one to get.... over the crop circles, and the first boxed set...

I own all of the original (first pressing) vinyls of the U.S. releases and having a set of CDs with the original artwork that is virtually identical to the albums was what initially attracted me to this boxed set. I've ordered two: one for myself and one to give to a close friend as a Christmas gift.

[...]

Having played the CD's, I am blown away by the difference. Although the same 90's source tapes were used I believe, there is definitely some additional processing or mixing that has been done. The sound is far clearer, and I noticed many differences where there were things I have never noticed before.

Everything just sounds clearer, with lots more detail in quieter parts and in the background. I noticed different guitar parts that I have never noticed before.

Strangely, there is a cut on Carouselambra - you don't hear Plant sing 'and it happened Tuesday' nearing the end (Tuesday I believe is when Karac died?)

The Song remains the same is the new 2007 edition, but the artwork is all from the 1976 version. The booklet is included inside the album cover.

Coda includes the 'missing' four songs that were included on the 90's box sets, so it is complete.

The cover artwork is all absolutely beautifully done. Everything is identical to the original vinyl releases, including the rotating wheel on III, the wraparound slip on HOTH, and the various inner sleeves. You also get the alternative rare LZ 1 cover, and all 6 ITTOD covers. Presence even has the embossed cover and sticker.

A nice touch is that the inner sleeves all have a plastic sleeve to protect the disc, and no tight fitting discs like on the previous box sets. Everything is housed in a solid thick card box.

Thanks so much for your recommendation and description of the new boxed set. It's good to hear that the sound is clearer. I am really looking forward to receiving mine and hope the U.S. edition is as good as the U.K. one.

I have bought various releases over the years - the original 1980 versions, the 2 boxed sets from the 90's, the subsequent 1990 releases, and the Complete studio recordings. (Note I do not have the japanese mini sleeve versions though, so cannot compare to these.)

I was initially not sure what to expect from this set.

SOLD!

I know that i shouldn't, but i must....

Archived