The Bands/People That Would Still Be Here.

pinky

Well I was just imagining how many great musicians and bands that would still be here if they either didn't do drugs or drink at least too much. I do realize that some may have broken up for other reasons but they would have been here longer

The Doors - Jim Morrison: heart failure due to drug/alcohol abuse.

Keith Moon - overdose due to taking handfulls of pills to help his alcohol withdrawls .

John Entwistle - heart failure due to cocaine.

Black Sabbath - drugs tore the band apart. Although all are still alive.

Led Zeppelin - John Bonham: choked on vomit in his sleep because of alcohol.

Jimi Hendrix - OD.

Bon Scott - past out in his car from too much alcohol and froze to death.

George Harrison - lung cancer that spread to his brain from smoking.

Thats all I can think of but just imagine.

Imagine how the Stones would have turned out had Brian Jones not lost his mind from drug abuse and eventually drowned in his pool; thus we never hear Mick Taylor's contribution to the band, changing much of Beggar's Banquet and eliminating Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Mainstreet, Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock n Roll= their best work.

I also would like to believe had drugs/alcohol abuse not alienated one another, the original lineup for Guns 'n Roses might have lasted. Sure, Axl's ego probably would have kicked in sooner or later and the ship would have sunk..but who knows what could have been had they stuck together.

Edited by bigstickbonzo

Tommy Bolin - who, all these years later, one of my friends still refers to as "my sweet Tommy" :'(

So many of these musicians who left this world too early because of drugs/alcohol had beautiful, human sides that people who didn't know them couldn't see. :(

It's almost as though maintaining that human side became too much to handle for so many of those artists. Like being lost in space with so much going on around you

It's almost as though maintaining that human side became too much to handle for so many of those artists. Like being lost in space with so much going on around you

For many of those musicians, what you say about the struggle to maintain their human side may be true - maybe they were simply overwhelmed.

I was thinking about how the general public and press often dismiss or ignore the human side of many of these musicians and focus on the drug/alcohol abuse. When I talk to people who knew some of these musicians on a personal level and who were able to see beyond or behind the drug and alcohol abuse, they often describe those musicians as nice or good or humane souls.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

I miss Janice. She was such a great instinctive talented spirit.

And slightly OT from the freak accident category, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Buckley. Giant talents who are greatly missed.

It's Janis.

Anyway, I didn't see John Lennon or George Harrison.

I also didn't see Nick Drake, he's sorta unhead of but he's pretty good.

It's Janis.

Anyway, I didn't see John Lennon or George Harrison.

I also didn't see Nick Drake, he's sorta unhead of but he's pretty good.

I love Nick Drake! Believe it or not, I discovered him watching a Volkswagon commercial a few years back. Then a few of his songs are on the soundtrack to the movie Serendipity.

For many of those musicians, what you say about the struggle to maintain their human side may be true - maybe they were simply overwhelmed.

I was thinking about how the general public and press often dismiss or ignore the human side of many of these musicians and focus on the drug/alcohol abuse. When I talk to people who knew some of these musicians on a personal level and who were able to see beyond or behind the drug and alcohol abuse, they often describe those musicians as nice or good or humane souls.

Well, I was referring more to the fact that their problems arose more from the fact that they were good souls to begin with and the rigors of a R&R lifestyle and the money that comes with it could have been just too much to handle for some. There are very few of the musicians, who are no longer with us, that I don't think poured their heart and soul into their music. It's reflective of them as people. I think some of our favorites were and are, just damn lucky to survive.

Well, I was referring more to the fact that their problems arose more from the fact that they were good souls to begin with and the rigors of a R&R lifestyle and the money that comes with it could have been just too much to handle for some. There are very few of the musicians, who are no longer with us, that I don't think poured their heart and soul into their music. It's reflective of them as people. I think some of our favorites were and are, just damn lucky to survive.

I agree. It must have been very hard for them to deal with the major fame, money, fans, media, etc because they actually were just a simple people who suddenly had to deal with a lot of stress and they had to live with the fact that from now on the live in a kind of "fishbowl" while a major part of the society watch their every step. The R&R lifestyle always had a "glorious" image but I think there are some disadvantages in this kind of lifestyle that caused some musicians to escape to the drugs and alcohol (which caused some of them to death).

I believe that Jim Morrison wouldn't have made it till today. He was a brilliant man with great ideas. He just wasn't cut out to live a long life. I wish he would have been, but he wouldn't be happy here. The world is just too unfair and unaccepting for someone like he was.