VH1-Greatest Hard Rock Songs

Melanie_72

at the end of the day, these lists are more about making sure all possible bands are included and the current generation of fans are satisfied, than about putting the right songs in the right slots. this was more of a Top 100 Metal/Hair-Band Songs Of All Time list than a Top 100 Hard Rock Songs list anyways. but that's what makes it ultimately pointless, what I consider Metal and Hair-Band music, someone else considers Hard Rock. and when fans are allowed to vote, that just turns it into a popularity contest.

at the end of the day, these lists are more about making sure all possible bands are included and the current generation of fans are satisfied, than about putting the right songs in the right slots. this was more of a Top 100 Metal/Hair-Band Songs Of All Time list than a Top 100 Hard Rock Songs list anyways. but that's what makes it ultimately pointless, what I consider Metal and Hair-Band music, someone else considers Hard Rock. and when fans are allowed to vote, that just turns it into a popularity contest.

totally agree with you, these lists don't mean anything...

just would be interesting to know how they created the list, meaning what data it is based upon

• 2 weeks later...

As for Sabbath, I wouldn't even put "Paranoid" in their top 3 of possible choices.

The original "NIB" that appeared amongst Wasp/Behind the Wall of Sleep/Bassically on their first record would have been a much better selection. It had all the proper "ingredients" that would define heavy metal.

How's it going "Melanie_72?" No problem, you are very welcome. True, THE BEATLES are not considered Hard Rock but they did contribute some great Hard Rockers such as "Paperback Writer," "Revolution," "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey" and "Helter Skelter." Believe it or not, "Birthday" may be on the borderline of a Hard Rock song too. What do you think? What do all of you think? ROCK ON!

Though it wasn't originally their song, you might say this was the first "Hard Rock"

performance. John really belted it out and turned Rock N Roll up a notch or two! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yamsru7gv50...feature=related

I've been watching the VH1 show in drips and drabs. What is interesting to me, is watching the likes of Sebastian Bach, Dee Snider and Ronnie James Dio try to validate and describe some lame Boston song that they probably hated when it was popular. What a bunch of phonies. You'd never see Ian Anderson participate in that back slapping crap. Not that VH1 would ask him.

If it bothers you that much don't watch it. They all talked highly of the Zeppelin songs and even Jethro Tull songs. Also, I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't call them phonies to their face.

I've notice you've been picking on me (and others) a lot lately. You my friend, are on PERMANENT IGNORE. I have no interest in meeting any of those people in person, so NO I wouldn't even have the opportunity to call them phonies to their face. During Tull's heyday in the late 60's through mid to late 70's, they had A LOT more respect from the rock community than the likes of Boston, Foreigner and Journey. Please trust me on that.

BTW, what Tull song made the list?

Edited by JethroTull

How's it going "Melanie_72?" No problem, you are very welcome. True, THE BEATLES are not considered Hard Rock but they did contribute some great Hard Rockers such as "Paperback Writer," "Revolution," "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey" and "Helter Skelter." Believe it or not, "Birthday" may be on the borderline of a Hard Rock song too. What do you think? What do all of you think? ROCK ON!

Wazzup "ZepFanForever"? I think Birthday could be considered "Hard Rock". One of my favorite riffs :D And yes, they did have some pretty Hard Rockers, but somehow they always get overlooked and The Beatles get stereotyped as "pop" Blah!! :slapface:

I've notice you've been picking on me (and others) a lot lately. You my friend, are on PERMANENT IGNORE. I have no interest in meeting any of those people in person, so NO I wouldn't even have the opportunity to call them phonies to their face. During Tull's heyday in the late 60's through mid to late 70's, they had A LOT more respect from the rock community than the likes of Boston, Foreigner and Journey. Please trust me on that.

BTW, what Tull song made the list?

Aqualung was #90

Don't worry "lzfan715", I'm not Ignoring you :D

Edited by ms_zeppelin94

If you think I have been picking on you and other people I do apologise. I'm not here to make people feel inferior and if someone has a problem with something I've said, please tell me and I will try to rectify the situation.

From my understanding, all of those bands had plenty of respect. They all made the list and people really seem to like those songs.

And if you can even see this post, I'm not sure how ignore works as I prefer to not use it since I like to see everyone's opinion regardless of my personal feelings towards them, Aqualung made the list and EVERYONE on the show made positive comments about.

I was also surprised to see so many songs on that countdown spoken about with such revelry except my reaction was quite the opposite. Back when some of those bands like Boston, Journey, Kansas, Foreigner, etc, were new they weren't all necessarily considered shitty. Some music magazines may have accused them of being "faceless", "corporate rock" or "formulaic" but the fans (then and now) didn't always agree with that. That didn't come until years later when people had time to put some distance between them and the time when those groups were new. Now we have compilations of music that is referred to as "mullet rock" (see this collection or the soundtrack to Joe Dirt). I found the countdown somewhat refreshing since so many of those groups that are now considered "uncool" to like were actually included. It may not have changed my opinion of some of them but I found it refreshing to see them listed nonetheless. No matter, I will always love Foghat. I don't give a flying fuck if someone considers me unhip for doing so. To me, it isn't about some sort of "hipster" cred, it's about the music that moves me. I could give a shit what other people think.

As for the commentators, I'm not sure what's up with that. Especially ones like Dee Snider. I guess it's his reality show celebrity status that qualifies him because Twisted Sister were little more than one hit wonders and superbly talentless at that.

Edited by Jahfin

Hilarious list. Any list where painful garbage like Bon phony places ahead of KASMHIR cannot be taken seriously. Let's face it, they're a bunch of over-rewarded Jersey hacks that evoke nothing but NAUSEA with their cheeseball ballads and corny cliche fake rockers. Ugggh!!

Yeah. I've always hated those turds, too: a little bit of nothing whittled down to a sharp point - "but Jon is, like, soooo HOT!!". :angry:

Bottom line: You can't expect idiots raised on "Sumner Redstone's" ©rap/grunge '90s MTeeHee to know what real music is. Or even how to put their baseball caps on straight or pull their baggy-ass pants up.

As for those worthless hacks Bret Michaels & Dee Snider: someone please set the former's faggy straw cowgirl hat on fire (while he's wearing it), and as for the latter, just keep the butt-ugly motherfucker the hell off the airwaves.....

It's for the CHILDREN!

From my understanding, all of those bands had plenty of respect. They all made the list and people really seem to like those songs.

Tull had tons of respect back in their heyday. Today, they rarely get a mention. They didn't take drugs, didn't break laws, didn't file for bankruptcy or get sued, so they are not newsworthy. EXCEPT, when the incredible orchestral arranger David Palmer (he actually joined the band in the late 70's) underwent a sex change operation a few years ago to reverse a bad decision made when he was born.

Make the same or similar list in 1975 and Aqualung comes in the top five.

Maybe I'm making a little off topic (I'm so sorry)but tommorow I watched VH1 and there will be program the best guitar riffs or something similar..I was watching the first 20 minutes but I didn't see who was won.Maybe you know??

As for the commentators, I'm not sure what's up with that. Especially ones like Dee Snider. I guess it's his reality show celebrity status that qualifies him because Twisted Sister were little more than one hit wonders and superbly talentless at that.

A little off track here but I have to comment on Dee Snider.

I must say both Dee and JJ French are total dough bags. I saw those morons on that moronic show "That Metal Show", it was a slow TV night :unsure:. Dee had the nerve to say that TS were the first and original "hair metal band". I felt like smashing the TV. Come on Dee Twisted Sister is pretty much the least original band ever and to say any different is to spit in the face of everyone who knows better. Even if they could convince anyone of that there isn't any evidence to back up since TS never more than a half baked rehash of the worst elements KISS, Cooper, Dolls, Bowie, Slade, Mott, T-Rex etc. with absolutely no musical substance.

Perhaps Slash can't be taken seriously but they're obviously not going to have commentators on there that are going to speak negatively about the artists included in the countdown.

I was never the world's biggest G n' R fan but I did enjoy hearing some of Slash's comments about the early days of the band when he was making the publicity rounds back when his bio first came out like this anecdote he shared about Axl on Late Night with David Letterman.

Perhaps Slash can't be taken seriously but they're obviously not going to have commentators on there that are going to speak negatively about the artists included in the countdown.

I was never the world's biggest G n' R fan but I did enjoy hearing some of Slash's comments about the early days of the band when he was making the publicity rounds back when his bio first came out like this anecdote he shared about Axl on Late Night with David Letterman.

Is that link accurate?