Yet another "one hit wonder" thread...

Zepaholic

I was and am a huge fan of New Wave though I was much more into the guitar based artists than I was the synth heavy stuff that tended to rule the day back then.

I don't hear anything in that song that bears even the slightest resemblance to Tears for Fears. Not to even mention Icicle Works formed in 1980, Tears for Fears in 1981.

Well, that sure changes my life. But for clarification, i was thinking similar hairstyles

For the most part, I believe New Wave is for pansies.

There may be a few exceptions, depending on what you consider New Wave.

Well, that sure changes my life. But for clarification, i was thinking similar hairstyles

Hairstyles? Yep, I'm sure Icicle Works were on the lookout for other artists to steal their hairstyles from and after much debate they finally settled on Tears For Fears after deciding to pass on runners up the Thompson Twins.

For the most part, I believe New Wave is for pansies.

There may be a few exceptions, depending on what you consider New Wave.

I consider "New Wave" to be the acceptable edge of post-punk that was popularized by the Cars, the Police, Blondie, etc. at the end of the 70s as well as artists such as R.E.M., U2, the Cure, the Replacements, etc. in the early 80s. Then there was the synth heavy artists that figured heavily into the rotation on MTV in it's early days such as Soft Cell, the Human League, Culture Club, etc. I can't say I ever much cared for the majority of those artists but I'm a huge fan of R.E.M., U2, the Cure, the Replacements, etc.

Back to the one hit wonders:

The Plimsouls "A Million Miles Away"

In an update of sorts, the Plimsouls may be long forgotten but lead singer/songwriter Peter Case went on to co-write

with renown singer/songwriter John Prine and was even the subject of a tribute album a couple of years ago called Case for Case:

caseTribute.jpg

Hairstyles? Yep, I'm sure Icicle Works were on the lookout for other artists to steal their hairstyles from and after much debate they finally settled on Tears For Fears after deciding to pass on runners up the Thompson Twins.

Enough of this nonsense, Jahfin. When it comes right down to it, ask 10 people on the street if they've heard of Icicle Works or Tears For Fears, who would get more recognition?

I consider "New Wave" to be the acceptable edge of post-punk that was popularized by the Cars, the Police, Blondie, etc. at the end of the 70s as well as artists such as R.E.M., U2, the Cure, the Replacements, etc. in the early 80s. Then there was the synth heavy artists that figured heavily into the rotation on MTV in it's early days such as Soft Cell, the Human League, Culture Club, etc. I can't say I ever much cared for the majority of those artists but I'm a huge fan of R.E.M., U2, the Cure, the Replacements, etc.

we consider things differently then. Blondie and the Police were smack dab in the middle of the punk revolution. R.E.M. I don't consider New Wave at all. More Alternative Rock than anything. U2, yes. The Cars, okay. The others I don't care about. One NW group I did like was Echo and the Bunnymen, but the rest of that Breakfast Club music I can do without.

Enough of this nonsense, Jahfin. When it comes right down to it, ask 10 people on the street if they've heard of Icicle Works or Tears For Fears, who would get more recognition?

That's beside the point. This is a thread about One Hit Wonders, of course the majority of artists mentioned aren't going to get a lot of recognition. That's why they're "One Hit Wonders".

we consider things differently then. Blondie and the Police were smack dab in the middle of the punk revolution. R.E.M. I don't consider New Wave at all. More Alternative Rock than anything. U2, yes. The Cars, okay. The others I don't care about. One NW group I did like was Echo and the Bunnymen, but the rest of that Breakfast Club music I can do without.

You asked what I considered "New Wave" to be so I responded in kind. The initial popularity of Blondie and the Police may have happened during the punk era but they're seldom referred to as such. Blondie and the Police had a much more accessible sound than is normally associated with punk rock, that's why you hardly ever see them referred as such. R.E.M. also first became popular during the early days of New Wave, the term "Alternative Rock" hadn't even been coined yet. Because they weren't so easily categorized they were often lumped in with New Wave artists since they were indeed part of the "new wave" of artists at the time.

(Swede @ Jan 17 2009, 08:00 AM)

This is a 90's song, which still is just as great as it was back then.. Can't remember I ever heard anything else by the band.

Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon - Urge Overkill

They did have other hit songs, like Sister Havana from their Saturation album but I don't think it was as big as the tune you mentioned which appeared on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

Yeah Urge Overkill definitely wasn't a one hit wonder band. Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon, was on the Stull EP, which came out long before Pulp Fiction. Without that movie many people likely would have heard that one, it got a lot of attention from the indie crowd for being a Neil Diamond cover. That and back then the Neil Diamond original was and probably still is in frequent rotation on the FM oldies stations.

Urge Overkill was pretty big during the alternative rock heyday in the early 90's. Sister Havana got a lot of airplay as did Positively Bleeding, both from Saturation. MTV and 120 Minutes had a lot to do with it, UO were frequent guests. They actually started getting noticed long before that, Supersonic Storybook was a big album for the "Nirvana crowd".

Has anyone posted this one yet. I still dig this song.

What, not any more? :D

:P

I still like it :D

I loved Blind Melon. I guess the only big hit they ever had was:

No Rain

Big fan of theirs! That was definitely their breakout hit. There were a couple of other singles from that album which subsequently did very well but their follow up wasn't as strong (IMO) and then of course we lost Shannon Hoon :(

They reformed a while ago but I read their lead singer left.

Archived