Yet another "one hit wonder" thread...

Zepaholic

There seems to be lots of acts who had half decent careers here in the UK, that are considered one hit wonders in the US.....The Proclaimers, James, A-Ha, to name a few..

Someone mentioned Pilot earlier and their song Magic... they had another even bigger hit here, January.

And I think Nine said about Rose Royce, in the UK they were really popular during the disco era... I can think of 4 hits off the top of my head.

There seems to be lots of acts who had half decent careers here in the UK, that are considered one hit wonders in the US.....The Proclaimers, James, A-Ha, to name a few..

Someone mentioned Pilot earlier and their song Magic... they had another even bigger hit here, January.

And I think Nine said about Rose Royce, in the UK they were really popular during the disco era... I can think of 4 hits off the top of my head.

Yeah, it's very interesting how that has been with some artists having a much bigger following in the UK than here or vice versa.

This is a 90's song, which still is just as great as it was back then.. Can't remember I ever heard anything else by the band.

They did have other hit songs, like Sister Havana from their Saturation album but I don't think it was as big as the tune you mentioned which appeared on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

My brother was pretty into them at the time - he said the album was not bad at all but I think beyond that hit, I never heard much else. The lead singer (Linda Perry???) - wasn't she the one who was in Pink's video "Get the Party Started" and has produced some of her music?

4 Non Blondes were opening for Aerosmith on their Get A Grip tour but I arrived at the last minute and missed their set so I never got to see them. I'm not sure if Linda was in the Pink video but she has gone on to great success producing and writing for other artists.

Then again there are people here that are huge but not anywhere else. In a way I think it sort of comments on the industry. Many bands here aren't worried about breaking the world. I can list a lot of old bands that worked hard to make it on a huge scale but it seems to me that many bands today don't worry about anything but breaking the US. I think it's a shame. This is all my opinion of course and everyone is entitled to one otherwise.

Another one I thought of Cruel Summer by Bananarama. I wasn't around then so I don't kow for sure, but they strike me as that kind of group.

but it seems to me that many bands today don't worry about anything but breaking the US. I think it's a shame.

I agree 100% but realistically, the US is THE consumer nation on this planet. You want to make money, make it big in the US.

I agree 100% but realistically, the US is THE consumer nation on this planet. You want to make money, make it big in the US.

I don't think artists are really all that conscious about just making it in the U.S. It's a challenge (especially these days) just trying to get on the radio since playlists are even more restrictive than ever. I realize they're an established act but R.E.M. are bigger in Europe than they are in the U.S. During their last tour they only played a handful of dates here but did a much more extensive tour overseas.

Bananarama--don't know if it was a hit in the US, but I'll always remember their T'ain't What You Do with the Fun Boy Three, I loved that!

Their claim to fame here was the remake of the song Venus. They may have had other songs played but that was the one they were most known for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkNA1H8ctEo

ANother 2 1/2 hit wonder...

Argent-Hold Your Head Up, one of my all-time faves!! :D

Their claim to fame here was the remake of the song Venus. They may have had other songs played but that was the one they were most known for.

"Cruel Summer" was also a huge hit for them in the US. Also, "I Heard A Rumor" was a minor hit, but it wasn't as big as "Venus" or "Cruel Summer".

Argent-Hold Your Head Up, one of my all-time faves!! :D

"Cruel Summer" was also a huge hit for them in the US. Also, "I Heard A Rumor" was a minor hit, but it wasn't as big as "Venus" or "Cruel Summer".

Hmmm - I have to look up Cruel Summer. Totally drawing a blank on them! They were also part of the Band Aid song "Do They Know It's Christmas" I think if memory serves me right.

As an aside, I wonder what became of so many of the artists we've mentioned in this thread. We need a "where are they now" topic!

Hmmm - I have to look up Cruel Summer. Totally drawing a blank on them! They were also part of the Band Aid song "Do They Know It's Christmas" I think if memory serves me right.

As an aside, I wonder what became of so many of the artists we've mentioned in this thread. We need a "where are they now" topic!

"Here They Are!" :D

Good ones :D

Although they released about 4 albums, Seals and Crofts only had one real "hit" with Summer Breeze. Believe it or not, when I was a kid they came to my house after a concert :o Talk about a strange event :lol:

At least 2 more Seals and Crofts songs come to mind as "hits" - Diamond Girl and We May Never Pass This Way Again. The latter was our senior song in high school.

I actually bought the album Mambo No. 5 was on--it sort of explained why he was a one hit wonder. Too bad, really!

Really? Well, it doesn't really matter since Mambo No. 5 is a MUST at any dancing party. I actually enjoy listening to it from time to time...

Archived