Led Zeppelin will not tour in 2008

ludwigking

Um, yes, it's been mentioned numerous times in numerous threads and topics throughout the board. Take time to look around or do a search for Cult Astburyor Cincinnati and you'll quickly find it. Your laziness is wasting bandwidth.

God, how rude. in that last post.

Led Zeppelin are playing this whole debate like a fiddle. What better way to do business, and thats exactly what all this is about, Business, They dipped a toe in the water after how many years, and what happens, 20 million folks try to get tickets. Now is that not the cheapest and most effective publicity campaign ever in music. Radiohead did exactly the same thing, put out the new album effectively for free. And what happens, the whole fanbases is dying to have a tour. Much better than any rumour mill or advertising campaign. And the merchandise will flow

The O2 concert was an main item on yesterdays BBC news, priceless publicity, even my elderly mum was asking what the fuss is all about, but hey, she's heard of Led Zeppelin and Radiohead too for that matter. Priceless publicity.

Both Led Zeppelin and Radiohead now have exactly what they wanted and need, unadulterated confirmation that there is an audience out there for them. The O2 profits may be going to charity but hey what about all the copies of Mothership and Song Remains The Same they sold in the meantime.

As for a future tour, wouldnt you, if you knew 20 million people want to see you.

Now watch this space

All this speculation about whether Plant will tour with Krause or Zeppelin, and it occurs to me that nobody knows what ALLISON KRAUSE herself thinks about the whole thing!

If she's willing to wait (and what idiot wouldn't be?) to tour in light of a full-fledged Led Zeppelin reunion, than all these theories and guesstimates about "burning bridges", etc. etc. go right out the freakin' window, don't they?

I have also heard that several bigger venues here in the states HAVE been contacted with regards to holding specific tour dates for LZ, so make of it what you will - but it would appear that a tour is inevitable.

And the last thing anyone should be concerned about is Allison Krause standing in the way.

After watching the you tube vids of the return of led zeppelin, I would have to say that they would not tour in 2008 unless there was new music to spark them through the drudgery of performing songs that are 20, 30 and 40 years old. Energy is what this band has always been about.

After watching the you tube vids of the return of led zeppelin, I would have to say that they would not tour in 2008 unless there was new music to spark them through the drudgery of performing songs that are 20, 30 and 40 years old. Energy is what this band has always been about.

there has been talk of new material, in recent interviews Page has stated that he has been working on new material for the past 4 years.

we just have to sit back and wait

I agree...they should release some new material before thinking about a tour. Jimmy could hole himself up in a studio while Robert does his Allison Krause tour and he could track his vocals during breaks.Then rest up for a huge world tour starting late '08. Australia first(southern hemisphere where it's warm) US in the Spring and Europe/Asia in the summer

One nice thing about being old is that I can change my mind without feeling bad about doing so.

I just watched the Kashmir video on YouTube.............Zeppelin should tour. They sounded majestic and powerful and clearly they can still play their collective asses off.

I good friend of mine who looks at life differently tells me the entire global response to this show tells all. People might be able to see how it was like, how music and art and life in general was before the global corporate takeover of all things. She calls the Zeppelin show "a glitch in the Matrix"......maybe she's right. Maybe kids can see how it's supposed to be and how it was before life on the planet turned to total shit.

I hope Zeppelin tours in '08, I really do.

Rock on;

THey sound great for a tour, and its not only the music its a festival! its in the air, the magic the mysticism, the friends, the songs, the smiles the celeberation. from what ive heard they were able to conjure all of that on the o2 show!

i would go to as many US shows as possible!

Let's get ahold here. Plant/Krauss will be touring Europe and the states in early 2008. There's also a Strange Sensation album and tour in the works. That said, 12 months is a long time. There's no reason to think select dates couldn't be fit in. Provided of course that the band wants to do it. Regardless, there's no real reason to say "Alison can wait". Those wheels are already in motion and it's naive to think they'd cancel the whole thing. It's not about Zeppelin being a much bigger deal. If Zep decides to go for it, it will take time and logistical planning. 2008 is the 40th anniversary of the band. Surely they could sandwich a summer tour between the spring Raising Sand tour and the fall Strange Sensation project. Assuming they want to of course. We need to wait a few more days for the reaction to O2 to come in. Particularly Plant and Jones. We all know Jimmy's hard-on for Zep has never softened.

ahh, the voice of reason. thx evster. my dream is to catch robert & alison in spring and then zep at madison sq garden in summer...all in 08. i hope you are right, ev. ps - thx for the heads up on strange sensation new material and tour...i certianly would like to add that to the list! :)

I agree...they should release some new material before thinking about a tour. Jimmy could hole himself up in a studio while Robert does his Allison Krause tour and he could track his vocals during breaks.Then rest up for a huge world tour starting late '08. Australia first(southern hemisphere where it's warm) US in the Spring and Europe/Asia in the summer

Hi all.. first post... and just can't get over all this but... I have to agree here. I think what would make more sense is new material=new album in '08. Maybe a fall or late summer tour or '09 even. Time is ticking the guys are getting older. As you mentioned page could work out all this while plant tours with Krause...

Hi all.. first post... and just can't get over all this but... I have to agree here. I think what would make more sense is new material=new album in '08. Maybe a fall or late summer tour or '09 even. Time is ticking the guys are getting older. As you mentioned page could work out all this while plant tours with Krause...

My first post aswell, after watching this all VERY closely.

From what I have seen and now heard/downloaded it looked like an amazing show at O2.

But, have to disagree, I really don't think that a tour will happen.

Have heard that their label reckons it will happen - but would never take that for gospel considering they are not in the touring business.

But - I am holding my breath, like we all are.

If the weeks turn into months, I'll be holding it just for at least a yes or no.

We gotta cut the guys some slack. I read today Jimmy quoting "let's just do the O2 and we'll see what happens from there". They KNOW there are millions of us just dying to see some reunion shows but it's up to them whether or not they want to do it. We can all fervently hope that all this positive press review they've been getting on the O2 show will convince them to do some more shows in the future. They obviously can still bring down the stadium, as anyone who was there or who has heard and seen the fan shot vids can attest to. I don't believe they would need a new album to do it for, either(though it would be nice) as 2008 is their 40th anniversary year, what better reason to celebrate?

I think they need new material too, something they can inhabit in the present tense. I think the time is almost up for Jimmy in particular as a hard rocking performer, and he is painfully aware of this (his recent interview where he talks about zimmer frames). They are entering the dangerous age where, depending on how lucky you are, you can get diagnosed with cancer or have a heart attack (like David Bowie). They really have to start counting their blessings that despite the abuse they've put their bodies through they are still ticking, and make the most of it.

I think they need new material too, something they can inhabit in the present tense. I think the time is almost up for Jimmy in particular as a hard rocking performer, and he is painfully aware of this (his recent interview where he talks about zimmer frames). They are entering the dangerous age where, depending on how lucky you are, you can get diagnosed with cancer or have a heart attack (like David Bowie). They really have to start counting their blessings that despite the abuse they've put their bodies through they are still ticking, and make the most of it.

I totally agree.

Forgive me, but I'm a little baffled by all the calls for "new material".

How much new material did they play the other night?

NONE.

How many people attended the show to hear new material?

NONE.

So, by contrast, how much new material will it require for me to go see them on tour?

NONE!!!!

Any new material released by these guys would be a BONUS, certainly not a pre-requisite for a long awaited tour.

Just my two cents.

exactly. I love Zep as much as the next guy, but it always seems cheesy and greedy to me when long dead bands decide to try touring again, and a new album would make me lose all respect for all three of them, that would relegate them into the likes of every craptastic Lynyrd Skynyrd, Styx, Kansas, we-don't-know-when-to-move-on band out there. this reunion is pushing the envelope on their legend, if they even mess up one note, or Plant can't reach as high as people want him to, the media will crush them into the ground as another worthless bunch of old men who don't know when to give up. a tour would just give more chances for this to happen. I could deal with a tour that was pulled off well, but a new album would send them down the drain with my respect for them. wrap it up with a bang at O2, then move on, please, don't ruin the legacy. people would go spastic if they tried playing a single concert without Page or Plant, why is Bonham any different?? they should have quit when Bonham died, they didn't and we all know about the rather crappy "reunions" they tried since that happened. Please use O2 as a chance to erase that, and end it on a high note.

I've never seen Zep, or had a chance to, and I won't be seeing them at O2, and personally, I'd rather see them never play again after O2 then take the risk of ruining it all.

It seems to me that you don't have much confidence in them !! <_<

Their legend is in tact, they did quit when Bonham died otherwise they would have toured after the last 27 years !!

They got together to do 3 or 4 songs at both Live aid which was for a charity and Atlantic which was to celebrate the anniversary, Hardly them carrying on..both good cause I would say ! OK they were both duff but they did them for good reasons.....fast foreword to now and after the performance they did on Monday, If they decided to tour or do say half a dozen more shows in the next year or SO they wouldn't be denting the legacy as it was a great show and they showed that it could still be done !!

I could be selfish and say well lets hope they do not tour, or do more shows but for those who didn't see them I want them too so they can see for themselves how good Zep still are !!

I was one like you who never wanted them to get back together for some of the reasons you state, but Monday changed all that for me ! :)

It seems to me that you don't have much confidence in them !! <_<

Their legend is in tact, they did quit when Bonham died otherwise they would have toured after the last 27 years !!

Not sure about that, they were pretty burned out and talking about hanging it up after the '80 tour anyway, but that was then and this is now...

On whether or not new material is needed or not needed: It was Plant who claimed to not want to drag out the same old warhorses, so if anyone thinks Zeppelin needs new material in order to justify a tour, it appears to be Plant.

On whether or not Allison Krauss can pre-empt a Raising Sand tour for 3 months to make room for a Zeppelin tour: Sure, Sammy Hagar did it with his solo band to go on tour with Van Halen in '04, Scott Weiland would do it if the rest of Velvet Revolver went back to being Guns'n'Roses; talent notwithstanding, what makes Allison Krauss so special?

On "what Jimmy wants": He's already said the material he's written isn't right for his solo effort. He's already said he's game for a reunion but that they'd better do it soon as they're not getting any younger. Be that as it may, he doesn't "need" Zeppelin in order to be productive any more than the rest of them do. I would be just fine with another Page/Crowes show; at least for that I'd stand a fighting chance of getting tickets. With Plant hinting he's game for a couple of one-offs, who's to say they won't do like Floyd did with The Wall and just mount a handful of mega-shows in the major markets? To Page it's a tour, to Plant they're one-offs, or special events, or whatever the hell he wants to call them.

On which fans are selfish and which aren't: We're all selfish. You, me, the mods, everyone. It's about how WE didn't get to go to the O2 show (for those of us who didn't of course). It's about how long WE have been fans and how many albums WE bought that might justify US deciding whether or not they should tour so WE can see them again. I'm 36, been listening to Zeppelin literally all my life (give or take a month or two), and I've never seen them live. If they do, yippee; I probably won't be able to afford it anyway. If not, big deal; they're still Zeppelin, and always will be.

Archived