manic nirvana

any thoughts on this album?

It is not a particular favorite of mine. Nearly twenty years on, it sounds a bit dated. Some of the music seems a bit forced, as if they were all trying too hard to be hip.

'Liars Dance' and 'She Said' (with that typically Plant-esque awkward bit in the middle)

are good tracks, but for me the rest is middle of the road, and at times mediocre AOR.

I love Manic Nirvana. It's not my favorite Plant album but as much as I thought Now and Zen was great, I liked the second project with the band he was with better. I thought the songs were much darker and more ethereal sounding. Some really intense lyrics too. You could see the shift in his writing style. Liar's Dance and Anniversary showcase Doug Boyle's amazing guitar playing. Other favorites are I Cried, Watching You and Nirvana (was so happy to see Strange Sensation do that live - only it became Bedminster instead of Nirvana :lol: ). Hurting Kind (for personal reasons) will always have a special place to me.

Tour was great too - saw several shows.

I love Manic Nirvana. It's not my favorite Plant album but as much as I thought Now and Zen was great, I liked the second project with the band he was with better. I thought the songs were much darker and more ethereal sounding. Some really intense lyrics too. You could see the shift in his writing style. Liar's Dance and Anniversary showcase Doug Boyle's amazing guitar playing. Other favorites are I Cried, Watching You and Nirvana (was so happy to see Strange Sensation do that live - only it became Bedminster instead of Nirvana :lol: ). Hurting Kind (for personal reasons) will always have a special place to me.

Tour was great too - saw several shows.

'Manic Nirvana' is an album I have liked for a long time, but 'Fate of Nations' I can listen to and listen to. It manages to press all my buttons.

As for JP, I also particularly like the 'Coverdale/Page' collaboration and the 'Outrider' album, although both albums get slated from time to time in the Forum...each to their own I suppose.

Enjoy your music people...I have 'Flying Circus' on at this precise moment. Thanks Dave in Sydney, Australia for that!!

The live version of Hurting Kind from the 1990 Knebworth show is damn good.

Doug Boyle adds some licks that are absent on the studio version.

But,I have to agree with Mr. Jones earlier post.

'Manic Nirvana' is an album I have liked for a long time, but 'Fate of Nations' I can listen to and listen to. It manages to press all my buttons.

As for JP, I also particularly like the 'Coverdale/Page' collaboration and the 'Outrider' album, although both albums get slated from time to time in the Forum...each to their own I suppose.

Enjoy your music people...I have 'Flying Circus' on at this precise moment. Thanks Dave in Sydney, Australia for that!!

Not to get off topic (since the thread starter was asking about Manic Nirvana only) but yes, Fate of Nations is equally tied for favorite with Mighty Rearranger. Incredibly beautiful album that I find every time I listen to, I just discover more about it.

Love the funk of S S S & Q.....

So far the critics are all picking up on the James Brown sample on 'SSS&Q.' That's an obvious joke, and once and for all, it was from 'Papa's Got a Brand New Bag,' not 'Cold Sweat.' And there are many not-so-obvious jokes, some of them with terrifying implications if they were actually heard. If you listened hard, you'd be quite amazed at what's buried in the mix. We deliberately made it dense to obscure the more wickedly funny ones." -- Robert Plant (1990)

I loved it when he toured with this album and opened the set with "Watching you" That drumming as an intro was brilliant.

And to see and hear Plant perform Immigant Song on this tour from twenty feet away,while he's wearing a Jimmy Page t-shirt on stage.

Priceless.

So far the critics are all picking up on the James Brown sample on 'SSS&Q.' That's an obvious joke, and once and for all, it was from 'Papa's Got a Brand New Bag,' not 'Cold Sweat.' And there are many not-so-obvious jokes, some of them with terrifying implications if they were actually heard. If you listened hard, you'd be quite amazed at what's buried in the mix. We deliberately made it dense to obscure the more wickedly funny ones." -- Robert Plant (1990)

LOL, I remember hearing an interview with Robert talking about that. Didn't he play some guitar on rockline when he was promoting Manic? That album came out my senior year of HS, and remember being the guy that got made fun of in the parking lot playing it, while others were playing White Lion, Slaughter, and Skid Row.........

• 6 years later...

Had to go back a way to find any threads on this period of Robert Plant's solo career. Robert performs an extremely high-energy show promoting his album Manic Nirvana. This Halloween show was live at Universal Amphitheater, Universal City, CA. October 31, 1990. Audio is not the best but still an awesome live performance, enjoy. Thanks "Mark Zep".

Edited by luvlz2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/5/2008 at 7:15 PM, jabe said:

The live version of Hurting Kind from the 1990 Knebworth show is damn good.

Doug Boyle adds some licks that are absent on the studio version.

But,I have to agree with Mr. Jones earlier post.

I do NOT agree with  S.Jones on this one , I Remember the joy the happyness, we loved it , parts of Nervanna threw us back to HOTH days !  aaàaaW sO GOOD! 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...