"Phantom" Led Zeppelin Concert in Wheaton MD

rainydaywoman

Quite fascinating, and as a fan of "Heavy Metal Parking Lot"(the dvd also has

bonus features such as "Neil Diamond Parking Lot" and other howlers), I can't

wait to see Jeff's documentary on this show.

Given the often haphazard nature of touring back in those days, I wouldn't

be surprised if more previously unknowned concerts suddenly popped up

ala the second San Diego gig from March 14, 1975.

Wow, this was really DejuVa. I was at the Wheaton Rec Center 'reunion' Mar7. Walking in the door I could almost hear 'Train keep on rollin' with Page using the painted 58 Tele; which seems to be what they started out the night with. The show was badly promoted, or not at all, though Peter Green was there, along with a couple of nasty looking roadies.

Seems like the way it's been reported it's an Urban Legend.....Not to me.

Ciao!

Anne

The book "Whole Lotta Led Zeppelin" lists this concert as being played in Wheaton, Illinois.

If so, that is incorrect. The band was headed east, and played Wheaton, MD between gigs in Detroit and Pittsburgh. They played Illinois (Chicago) the following month.

• Administrators

There are strong doubts about this date and I've posted a note in the Timeline the other day that this is not officially confirmed and no valid proof has yet surfaced.

I spoke with Richard Cole about it, both before and after this latest article in the Washington Post was published, in which I am quoted. He traveled with the band for every show as road manager and has no recollection of this date whatsoever. Despite the comical "$100 in the parking lot" story in the WP article, Cole stressed that Peter Grant was only present at major gigs on the first tour and that the band would never have performed without a contract in advance.

Until there's some real evidence, the Wheaton date appears to just be urban legend at the moment.

There are strong doubts about this date and I've posted a note in the Timeline the other day that this is not officially confirmed and no valid proof has yet surfaced.

I spoke with Richard Cole about it, both before and after this latest article in the Washington Post was published, in which I am quoted. He traveled with the band for every show as road manager and has no recollection of this date whatsoever. Despite the comical "$100 in the parking lot" story in the WP article, Cole stressed that Peter Grant was only present at major gigs on the first tour and that the band would never have performed without a contract in advance.

Until there's some real evidence, the Wheaton date appears to just be urban legend at the moment.

How's it going "sam_webmaster" as well as our fellow ZEPPELIN fanatics? I have a question for you "sam_webmaster." Has there ever been any talk within the Administrators or ZEPPELIN Forum concerning having a possible LED ZEPPELIN convention? It would be nice to meet everyone here on the Forum in person and possibly meet the members of LED ZEPPELIN. At least this is something to think about. ROCK ON!

• Administrators
How's it going "sam_webmaster" as well as our fellow ZEPPELIN fanatics? I have a question for you "sam_webmaster." Has there ever been any talk within the Administrators or ZEPPELIN Forum concerning having a possible LED ZEPPELIN convention? It would be nice to meet everyone here on the Forum in person and possibly meet the members of LED ZEPPELIN. At least this is something to think about. ROCK ON!

No, though there are conventions organized by fans once in a while.

FWIW:

An email from journalist Richard Harrington concerning the Wheaton Date:

Sources include my long term memory jarred by frequent references over the

years among long-time DC music folk. Barry Richards, DJ here from early

'60s on (now in Florida I believe) was the promoter of the show, which was

apparently a last minute, unadvertised show at Wheaton Youth Center, site

of frequent rock shows by local and national acts (usually at the start of

their careers--this was a concrete box!).

Supposedly Zep played for about 45 minutes. Barry has said he has a picture

of him, Page and Plant standing in front of the building during load-in (that

information is also referenced in a book called "Capitol Rock"). For this piece,

I talked to Eddie Kalika, Warner Bros. promo man at the time (the Atlantic rep,

Johnny Lamm, has long disappeared) and he remembered the date, and suggested

Lamm probably didn't even go.

A few years back when Richard Cole was promoting "Stairway to Heaven"

on Baltimore radio, he told the dj that the cheapest and shortest gig Led

Zep ever worked was for $250 at a gymnasium south of Baltimore on their

first US tour (Wheaton, Maryland is waay south of Baltimore, but for

someone who doesn't know the area such a mix up would be understandable).

The dj was befuddled and said something like "I guess that wasn't

Merriweather Post" and Cole responded by saying something like "no, there

was no advertising, no one showed up, it was in the middle of nowhere, and

we played for twenty minutes."

I've been told some Zep Web sites reference the 1-20-69 date as "Baltimore" or "unknown."

When I talked to Page, he didn't remember it specifically, but did not rule it out.

Hope that's helpful...

Given the event was poorly promoted, by the promoter, and few people turned up. I have sympathy for Grant. No band travelling distances likes playing to an empty hall.

Sound like someone was there. What's so hard to believe ?? That asshole Grant getting in someone's face sound's like fact !! More Zeppelin myth right ??? Whatever.

If so, that is incorrect. The band was headed east, and played Wheaton, MD between gigs in Detroit and Pittsburgh. They played Illinois (Chicago) the following month.

I thought it was odd as Wheaton IL is home to a large Christian college and doesn't seem like the kind of place that would embrace Led Zeppelin.

• 2 weeks later...

Does it really matter if they played or not?

Reading about enthusiastic Zep heads hollering, experts who don´t remember but don´t rule it out, women pointing out where in an anonymous gym Jimmy Page performed his magic 40 years ago...fantastic!

So yes, they played...no matter where they were this very night.

Somebody please make a movie about it!

The book "Whole Lotta Led Zeppelin" lists this concert as being played in Wheaton, Illinois.

Just one of many mistakes in this book...get it for the pictures if you must(but even

some of them are mis-dated) and the Burroughs-Page article...but as an authoritative

source, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks SteveAJones for the e-mail from the reporter...it does give one pause and

suggests this gig MIGHT well have happened. I mean, could so many people

mis-remember a show like that?

• 3 years later...

Apparently the search for the mysterious Wheaton gig is being turned into a film documentary:

http://www.gazette.net/stories/03112009/wh...814_32478.shtml

Meg

For anyone in the 'hood who's not watching football tonight, at the AFI in Silver Spring, there will be a showing of this documentary in progress at 9:00. Only $5.00!

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/film/2013/01/18/led-zeppelin-played-here-coming-to-afi-silver-theatre/

And yes, I know...talk about resurrecting a thread from the dead :)

• 1 year later...

Goddamn it. I've been after the folks at either Cinefamily or the American Cinematheque to get Jeff Krulik's "Led Zeppelin Played Here" to screen in Los Angeles and now it's finally here...but I have another gig scheduled that I cannot break. :mad:

http://www.ledzeppelinplayedhere.com/

Has anybody seen this yet? Jeff Krulik is the guy behind the underground cult favourite "Heavy Metal Parking Lot".

Archived