Does the universe manifest our thoughts and feelings?

karuna

Everyone probably has heard the story of " Aladdin's Lamp". He rubs the lamp and the genii shows up and tells Aladdin that his wish is his command.

Is Aladdin's lamp a metaphor for our thoughts and feelings?

Is the genii a metaphor for the universe?

Do our thoughts and feelings really manifest as our experienced reality?

Just last week I went to the bank to get my check cashed, and when I got to my car I realized they gave me 10 dollars over. At first I thought, yeah 10 dollars. Then as I drove further away from the bank, guilt started to set in and I thought maybe Karma would have payed me back if I returned it. 30 minutes later, the cashier at Walmart was a dollar short on my change. But I didn't say anything because I knew it was some sort of cosmic energy setting things straight. I didn't think it would happen that fast though.

Just last week I went to the bank to get my check cashed, and when I got to my car I realized they gave me 10 dollars over. At first I thought, yeah 10 dollars. Then as I drove further away from the bank, guilt started to set in and I thought maybe Karma would have payed me back if I returned it. 30 minutes later, the cashier at Walmart was a dollar short on my change. But I didn't say anything because I knew it was some sort of cosmic energy setting things straight. I didn't think it would happen that fast though.

I've always called what you have experienced "krama"=instantaneous karma :lol: and have suffered its effects more than once.

This is really deep, karuna. I almost don't think i understand exactly what the question is. :) Maybe because i'm very exhausted after a long 12hr night shift and need some rest. If you can give me a little more detail into what you are asking, in terms a six year old can understand (that line was taken from one of my favorite movies "Philadelphia" Denzel Washington used that one alot in the movie). Seriously, this sounds interesting and i would like to think about it some more when i am rested.

:beer: as a story, its on a par with finding that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, or winning the lottery.

Its a great motivational story - it keeps people going, no matter how small their prospects may be, there's always that tiny possibility isn't there ....... :rolleyes:

According to theories within quantum physics, every matter particle in the universe feeds off its surrounding particles' energy and vice versa. In theory, because everything came from the same source, every known object in the universe counter acts the other and so on. It's believed someone in Montana could be directly connected to someone in Tibet through particle energy and each one's movements would counter act the others.

I suggest you check out the flick "Down the Rabbit Hole" for starters.

Or is this thread about a blue genie voiced by that hairy brute Mork? :P

I read it. I have some issues with some of it. Parts I thought made sense but much of it, nah.

Phew and I thought I was the only one. Once something's been Oprah-fied it's like gospel. Even worse was the solipsistic drivel New Earth by Tolle. So much of that book is full of circular arguments, it's tough to swallow. No offense of anyone loved it and all that (I have close friends who really like it), I'd just rather experience life and figure things out on my own.

Anyway, interesting topic. Here's a little something that elaborates (or confuses) things:

rabbit hole - are we there yet? :D

Check out the 'rabbit hole' series on youtube. Trippy

The funny thing about taking a story that come's from a different culture (not just a different tong) and translating it to another, in this case the story of "Aladdin's Lamp". It has been actually transcribed from http://www.its-behind-you.com/storyaladdin.html many different culture's to one that we, English speaking and modern era living western people understand.

The one we know from the 18th Century's "1001 Arabian Night's" was transcribed by a man in France so he was not of our culture ether so, it's sort of hard to say how to be exact with some thing so old (Aladdin's Lamp comes from BC time's) that it goes back to when few people could read or write to start with.

Now your analogy on everything effecting everything else is also a tough subject to be so exact on, Sir Issac Newton did prove way back when that, "every action has an equal and opposing reaction" so, I suppose that it can be stated that many of the thing's that do happen can and sometimes do oppose or react to other people's action's.

But there are other thing's to consider here, one being that we only know about our own dimension of existence. Two we only have actually been as far away from Earth as our own moon, and being as there is so much more out there that we know little about I would be hesitant to make an absolute statement about what is everything in the universe.

I don't know jack about quantum physics, got my first lesson tonight with those YouTube vids, thanks Patrycja! :D I've always used the term "manifest" in ways other people might say is "coincidence". Like getting a phone call from someone you hadn't heard from in years right after thinking about them. Or having some random, obscure type of question in my head and then getting an answer to it without searching. Or a validation of some thought or feeling I'd been having. Works with material manifestations too, like getting an unexpected check in the mail after worrying about having to pay extra bills, for example. Those kind of things happen to me all the time.

Phew and I thought I was the only one. Once something's been Oprah-fied it's like gospel. Even worse was the solipsistic drivel New Earth by Tolle. So much of that book is full of circular arguments, it's tough to swallow. No offense of anyone loved it and all that (I have close friends who really like it), I'd just rather experience life and figure things out on my own.

Anyway, interesting topic. Here's a little something that elaborates (or confuses) things:

Nope ;) What irked me most was their belief that all you need to do is visualise something and poof, it will happen. Example - losing weight. They claim well just post pictures of how you want to look, see yourself as thin and it will happen. Well if that was the case - we could all be skinny! Same with looking for a job etc. They don't mention that while having a can do attitude is key, you also have to actually WORK at making changes in a concrete way. To me it's a bit of a slippery slope to make the claims they make because sadly, there are people out there who will buy it hook, line and sinker.

This is really deep, karuna. I almost don't think i understand exactly what the question is. :) Maybe because i'm very exhausted after a long 12hr night shift and need some rest. If you can give me a little more detail into what you are asking, in terms a six year old can understand (that line was taken from one of my favorite movies "Philadelphia" Denzel Washington used that one alot in the movie). Seriously, this sounds interesting and i would like to think about it some more when i am rested.

I guess what I'm really asking is, "What are we and how are we connected?" According to Buddhist teachings the question is absurd because we're no-thing and every-thing at once making the question nonsense (i.e. "...with the first distinction then the 10,000 things..."). Also like the so-called, "Mind-Body Problem" of western philosophy just posing the question is perhaps an error since it implies that the mind and body are separate entities (an assumption? ) requiring a connection (job security for philosophy departments?). :wacko:

I have been headed down the sidewalk thinking about someone I hadn't seen for a blue moon and then rounding the corner I almost run right into that person?!?!

"What The Bleep Do We Know" is another great movie that's related.

The funny thing about taking a story that come's from a different culture (not just a different tong) and translating it to another, in this case the story of "Aladdin's Lamp". It has been actually transcribed from http://www.its-behind-you.com/storyaladdin.html many different culture's to one that we, English speaking and modern era living western people understand.

The one we know from the 18th Century's "1001 Arabian Night's" was transcribed by a man in France so he was not of our culture ether so, it's sort of hard to say how to be exact with some thing so old (Aladdin's Lamp comes from BC time's) that it goes back to when few people could read or write to start with.

Now your analogy on everything effecting everything else is also a tough subject to be so exact on, Sir Issac Newton did prove way back when that, "every action has an equal and opposing reaction" so, I suppose that it can be stated that many of the thing's that do happen can and sometimes do oppose or react to other people's action's.

But there are other thing's to consider here, one being that we only know about our own dimension of existence. Two we only have actually been as far away from Earth as our own moon, and being as there is so much more out there that we know little about I would be hesitant to make an absolute statement about what is everything in the universe.

Thank you for your very thoughtful reply- it's started me thinking about Chaos Dynamics

Sorry brain fart here on my part! The Aladdin's Lamp story comes from late 900 AD just before the Medieval Period, but the same thing can be said about the education of most common people's of that time as well.

Nope ;) What irked me most was their belief that all you need to do is visualise something and poof, it will happen. Example - losing weight. They claim well just post pictures of how you want to look, see yourself as thin and it will happen. Well if that was the case - we could all be skinny! Same with looking for a job etc. They don't mention that while having a can do attitude is key, you also have to actually WORK at making changes in a concrete way. To me it's a bit of a slippery slope to make the claims they make because sadly, there are people out there who will buy it hook, line and sinker.

I agree. Makes me think about wanting "peace". No matter how many people dream about it, without hard, never ending work, and alot of luck, mankind will never achieve peace. But then again, if this theory of visualizing is true, i guess the number of haters out there balance out those who want love. Well tonight before bed, i'm going to picture my Japanese Maple will have hundred dollar bills growing off it instead of leaves :) I can wake up a millionaire!

A lot of how thing's are perceived can be related to how you believe we are leading our lives to. One example is religion and dare I say how it effects culture(s) around the world, if you look hard enough at many different religion's. You'll see a lot of similarities in them that where by some way or another developing around the world near the same time frame with out all of them knowing about each other. Some religion's that where of other close by people's did spawn or morph into other newer religion's as time passes, this is still going on today, look at the development of the nondenominational church(s) in the past decade.

In a scientific point of view (taking away all mysticism) we have been advancing over a very long time (changes in DNA) and will continue to do so until we have no physical bodies and will only exist in time and or space.

I agree. Makes me think about wanting "peace". No matter how many people dream about it, without hard, never ending work, and alot of luck, mankind will never achieve peace. But then again, if this theory of visualizing is true, i guess the number of haters out there balance out those who want love. Well tonight before bed, i'm going to picture my Japanese Maple will have hundred dollar bills growing off it instead of leaves :) I can wake up a millionaire!

Hi Tangerine,

Hope your tongue in cheek about becoming a millionaire, that's a trip to the "Dark Side", and that leads straight to Hell.

Wealth seems to always go to those that know least how to handle it, so it makes their lives complex and miserable, whereas the poor lead a simple life full of joy and happiness.

Well thats how it's portrayed in "Star Wars" and it works for me, being poor and happy I mean. Still I wouldnt mind giving "Being Rich" a go, it might work for me as I dont have craveings of any sort, and I could just sit back and live off the interest, and thats what I mean about "Hell"

Regards, Danny

Archived