Michael Jackson Appreciation Thread

Evster2012

An old tribute I didn't know about till today--when Michael unleashed the moonwalk on the Motown 25 show, he got a congratulatory message the next day from Fred Astaire. Now that MEANS something! (To me, anyway. Fred was the best. :) )

Fred compemented him on the Thriller video, "Anybody who can sing and dance at the same time, and do both well, is pretty darned good and that's what Michael does. I've known him since he was a little kid. The Jacksons used to live near me, and they would ride past my house on their bicycles and wave to me. I've known the whole family, and Michael and I talk now and then on the telephone."

I remembered that from one of my books on Fred that that quote was there, I thought that was really interesting, especially since the "Billie Jean" video with Michael so dapper and the tiles lighting up as he danced over them, reminded me so much of Fred.

The past couple of days, I've been remebering how much I loved him when I was 7 years old at time I got Thriller on vynil. I listened to it yesterday. I still listen to it once and while since.

He too, had a very soft voice, like Jimmy, Jimi Hendrix and Brian Jones. I never liked how he was treated.

It does feel unreal he's gone. It feels like part of my childhood is gone.

Edited by aen27

10) Human Nature 2,175 plays

Yay, that's a great song, I've been listening a lot to it lately. Same goes for 'Dirty Diana', it's driving me crazy, I can't stop watching that video.

Edited by Xtazy

I've just found this: Hot Street. It was supposed to be on the Thriller album, but it didn't make it in the end.

It's a great song and it was composed by Rod Temperton, who also worked with Michael on "Rock with You", "Off the Wall", "Burn This Disco Out", "Baby Be Mine", "The Lady In My Life" , "Thriller" and "Someone In The Dark" , which are all great songs, some of the best IMO (well, not counting the classics like Billie Jean, Beat it etc., but actually all of MJ's work is the best work! He's the King, you know...).

Edited by Xtazy

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090627/EN...-tied-to-Motown

Michael Jackson forever tied to Motown

Detroit is where his success began

Susan Whitall / The Detroit News

Michael Jackson never lived in Detroit, but it was Berry Gordy and Motown Records that created the music, marketing and complete package that catapulted the Jackson 5 to fame and made his record-breaking solo career possible.

Jackson's amazing string of '80s blockbuster albums -- "Off the Wall," "Thriller," "Bad" -- was done for Epic Records, but it's Motown that's gotten the attention since his death Thursday. It was from Motown that people awaited official comment. And so in death he is once again connected to Motown, and Detroit.

The Jackson 5 already had a record out before they ever came to Detroit, "You've Changed," cut for Steeltown Records out of their hometown of Gary, Ind. In 1968. The boys -- Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon and particularly 10-year-old Michael -- had stolen dance moves from singers Jackie Wilson, Joe Tex and James Brown. The group was traveling and playing gigs, even weighing a recording offer from Atlantic, but dad Joe Jackson felt that Motown Records would be a better fit for his boys. Motown artist Bobby Taylor of the Vancouvers encountered the group and assured them a contract was a done deal.

In his memoirs, Gordy recalled riding up the elevator at Motown's office space in the former Donovan Building on Woodward Avenue and being cornered by Motown executive Suzanne de Passe, who had been prepped by Taylor. Gordy was reluctant to see the group. "I hate kids' groups, minors, the courts, tutors ... ," he complained.

But de Passe prevailed and an audition was arranged at the Donovan Building, available on detnews.com as a grainy video of Michael dancing and singing James Brown's "I Got the Feeling." Gordy was knocked out.

In the Motown founder's comments Thursday after hearing about Jackson's death, he talked about that first view of Jackson.

"When I first heard him sing Smokey's song, 'Who's Lovin' You' at 10 years old, it felt like he had lived the song for 50 years. Somehow, even at that first meeting with him, he had a hunger to learn, a hunger to be the best and was willing to work as hard and as long as it took."

Once Gordy saw the group and knew he was going to work with them, he hosted a party at Gordy Manor, his Boston Boulevard mansion, to introduce the Jacksons to the Motown family. The group performed for Motown staffers in the mansion's pool house.

Gordy set up Motown songwriter/producer Deke Richards and several other writers in rooms at the Hotel Pontchartrain, ordered in food and wouldn't let them out until they had the perfect debut song for Michael and the Jackson 5.

The result, which Gordy also worked on, "I Want You Back," had a distinctly soulful feel with a vocal by Michael that purposely evoked memories of another child singer, the '50s star Frankie Lymon.

Motown producer Clay McMurray recalls early recordings by the Jacksons at Motown's Studio A, but the bulk of their records were done in Los Angeles with the Motown team in place there.

Later, during the years of his monumental, post-"Thriller" fame, Jackson would sometimes meet up with his old boss Gordy at Gordy Manor for meals. Earlier, he and his brothers, never having a Detroit address, would always stay at Gordy Manor when they passed through on concert tours.

In the end, Jackson knew where it all had started for him -- Detroit.

The star decided he needed to give something back to Motown, to "put something back into the soil from which he came," Gordy said. Jackson donated the proceeds from one of his Detroit concerts to the Motown museum, which was just starting. He also donated one of his famous glitter gloves, a hat and a stage costume. There was just one stipulation: Gordy had to fly in as well, to meet him.

The two shared dinner at Gordy Manor. Gordy wrote that Michael remembered how he and his brothers used to run in stocking feet, sliding on the mansion's marble floors.

Always the "perpetual kid," Jackson asked if Gordy would do it with him. The two men took off their shoes and ran through the halls of Gordy Manor one more time.

swhitall@detnews.com (313) 222-2156

Fred compemented him on the Thriller video, "Anybody who can sing and dance at the same time, and do both well, is pretty darned good and that's what Michael does. I've known him since he was a little kid. The Jacksons used to live near me, and they would ride past my house on their bicycles and wave to me. I've known the whole family, and Michael and I talk now and then on the telephone."

I hadn't read that, thanks.

There's something so poignant in the thought of him riding his bicycle past a neighbor's house and waving, like any other kid. (Though even then it wasn't an ordinary neighbor in an ordinary neighborhood.)

It doesn't mention it in that article, but when the Jackson 5 made their debut, they were billed as "Diana Ross Presents the Jackson 5". Motown manufactured a story for the press that it was Diana who discovered Michael when she saw him play a local show in Gary, Indiana. Bobby Taylor was a big local star in Detroit, but the company knew they would get more immediate national attention if they used Diana's name instead.

It hit me like a ton of bricks today at work. I arrived early with my co-worker for a meeting with our boss and some other higher ups. We started chatting about our Michael memories and I broke down and started crying. I remember watching the Jackson Five television special and their appearances on all the variety shows of the day. I was able to gain my composure as our boss entered the meeting room. My eyes were all red, but I didn't care. I think it was all building up inside me. Good-bye Michael.

It doesn't mention it in that article, but when the Jackson 5 made their debut, they were billed as "Diana Ross Presents the Jackson 5". Motown manufactured a story for the press that it was Diana who discovered Michael when she saw him play a local show in Gary, Indiana. Bobby Taylor was a big local star in Detroit, but the company knew they would get more immediate national attention if they used Diana's name instead.

Yeah, I remember hearing that too re: Diana Ross. BTW: Thanks for posting the article! Enjoyed reading it. :)

It hit me like a ton of bricks today at work. I arrived early with my co-worker for a meeting with our boss and some other higher ups. We started chatting about our Michael memories and I broke down and started crying. I remember watching the Jackson Five television special and their appearances on all the variety shows of the day. I was able to gain my composure as our boss entered the meeting room. My eyes were all red, but I didn't care. I think it was all building up inside me. Good-bye Michael.

Hey, good post, JethroTull. Thanks for sharing. ;) I had a similar experience re: reaction to his passing. The morning after he died, I arrived at work not wanting to say much. Then, involuntarily, I felt the moist eyes. People with whom I work didn't understand this strong reaction. It was almost as if, "hey, nobody you know, died". Think I'm still in a state of shock over this. :( May you rest in peace, Michael.

Edited by Fan_S.

I've just found this: Hot Street. It was supposed to be on the Thriller album, but it didn't make it in the end.

It's a great song and it was composed by Rod Temperton, who also worked with Michael on "Rock with You", "Off the Wall", "Burn This Disco Out", "Baby Be Mine", "The Lady In My Life" , "Thriller" and "Someone In The Dark" , which are all great songs, some of the best IMO (well, not counting the classics like Billie Jean, Beat it etc., but actually all of MJ's work is the best work! He's the King, you know...).

X, that link doesn't work. Would you mind reposting? Thanks :)

Hey, good post, JethroTull. Thanks for sharing. ;) I had a similar experience re: reaction to his passing. The morning after he died, I arrived at work not wanting to say much. Then, involuntarily, I felt the moist eyes. People with whom I work didn't understand this strong reaction. It was almost as if, "hey, nobody you know, died". Think I'm still in a state of shock over this. :( May you rest in peace, Michael.

Great posts, JT and Fan S. Strange how it hits you so randomly, isn't it? I think part of what bothers me so much is that his passing was so premature and his last couple of years were so unfortunate that it's too bad he didn't get a chance to turn it around. Rest in peace

I had a feeling that'd be the song in the link. Good, no GREAT stuff. SICK guitar and vox. MJ was killer.

How's it going Ev? I hope all is well with you. I haven't really talked or expressed my true feelings on this matter especially since this tragedy is like a dream. I guess that I am still in total disbelief over MICHAEL JACKSON'S death and it still hasn't sunk in my head yet. All I will say Ev is that Music lost one of its all-time greatest genius' ever! I grew up listening to THE JACKSON 5 as well as MICHAEL JACKSON, and I still listen to them to this very day. For many years, I have owned and listened to all of their album collections on Vinyl/LP, Cassette and CD. After all of the recent media coverage on MICHAEL JACKSON'S highly publicized death and at the same time, when I listen to them now (THE JACKSON 5 and MICHAEL JACKSON), I know for fact that his music will live forever. For myself, personally, the music is going to sound so much different now knowing that MICHAEL JACKSON is gone. As the saying goes, time heals! ROCK ON Ev my friend!

Yes thanks to Evster for this thread. We all needed it.

As a refrain; Wooooooooh. I cant't stop and I'll never get enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvc9XBTfu6g...feature=related

Yeah, same here, Evster and danelectro. Haha. good thing I have this excellent song on DVD, cuz I'd be watching it and Billie Jean (Motown 25) on YouTube too much. It would have done a number on my air card data usage $$$. Sooo many gB's ;)

Michael Jackson Breaks Billboard Charts Records

June 30, 2009 10:58 PM ET

Keith Caulfield, L.A.

Based on preliminary sales numbers from Nielsen SoundScan, the entire top nine positions on Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart will house Jackson-related titles when the tally is released in the early morning on Wednesday (July 1). Nielsen SoundScan's sales tracking week ended at the close of business on Sunday (June 28) night.

Jackson himself has a record eight out of the top 10, while a Jackson 5 compilation also finds its way into the upper tier.

The King of Pop's "Number Ones" will fittingly lead the pack at No. 1 with 108,000 (an increase of 2,340%) while "The Essential Michael Jackson" and "Thriller" are in the Nos. 2 and 3 slots with 102,000 and 101,000, respectively. Last week "Number Ones" was the only Jackson title on the chart, at No. 20 with 4,000 copies; both "Essential" and "Thriller" re-enter the tally this week.

Additionally, his classic 1979 studio set "Off the Wall" re-enters at No. 4 with 33,000 while his 1987 album "Bad" returns at No. 6 with 17,000. At No. 5, the Jackson 5's "The Ultimate Collection" debuts with 18,000. Jackson's fourth studio album for Epic Records, 1991's "Dangerous," re-enters at No. 7 with 14,000 while his 2001 compilation "Greatest Hits: HIStory -- Volume 1" also comes back to the list at No. 8 with 12,000. Finally, Jackson's 2004 box set "The Ultimate Collection" charts its first week on the Pop Catalog chart, arriving at No. 9 with 11,000.

The lone non-Jackson-related set in the top 10 is a reissue of the "Woodstock" movie soundtrack, which bows at No. 10 with 8,000.

Collectively, Jackson's solo albums sold 415,000 this past week. That's extraordinary, since his titles sold a combined 10,000 in the week that ended June 21. Of the 415,000 total, 58% were digital downloads.

Additionally, the 415,000 albums sold just last week is nearly 40% more than what Jackson's catalog had sold the the entire year up through June 21 (297,000).

Speaking of digital albums, on the Top Digital Albums chart, Jackson has a record six out of the top 10 slots, including the entire top four. "The Essential Michael Jackson" leads the Top Digital Albums list with 80,000 downloads sold, while "Thriller" is No. 2 with 57,000.

With the Black Eyed Peas' "The E.N.D." moving back to the No. 1 slot on the Billboard 200 chart with 88,000, this week marks the first time that a catalog album has sold more than the No. 1 current set on the Billboard 200 albums chart. (All three of Jackson's top sellers on the Pop Catalog chart outsell "The E.N.D.")

Ironically, the feat almost occurred when Jackson re-issued "Thriller" in February 2008. The set relaunched with 166,000, re-entering at No. 1 on the Top Pop Catalog chart. That week, Jack Johnson's "Sleep Through the Static" led the Billboard 200 chart with 180,000 while Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" was at No. 2 with 115,000.

Catalog albums are ineligible to appear on the Billboard 200 albums chart, though they can chart on the all-encompassing Top Comprehensive Albums list. On the latter chart, Jackson's "Number Ones," "Essential" and "Thriller" are at Nos. 1-3, followed by the Black Eyed Peas' "The E.N.D." at No. 4.

Jackson places a record 25 songs on the 75-position Hot Digital Songs chart (21 solo hits and four with his siblings), smashing the mark of 14 charting titles established by David Cook in the June 7, 2008 issue. Jackson's Halloween radio staple, "Thriller," moves 167,000, which is good for second place on the chart behind the 203,000 shifted by the Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling."

"Thriller" was also Jackson's best seller in the week before his death with 5,000 downloads, which translates to a 3,551% jump. Jackson's total volume of downloads this week -- including his tracks with the Jackson 5 and the Jacksons -- account for 2.6 million downloads, a remarkable number considering last week's cumulative sum was 48,000. Moreover, Jackson becomes the first act to sell more than 1 million song downloads in a week.

Besides "Thriller," Jackson places five other songs in the top 10 including "Man In The Mirror" (No. 3, 165,000), "Billie Jean" (No. 4, 158,000), "The Way You Make Me Feel" (No. 6, 136,000), "Beat It" (No. 7, 134,000) and "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" (No. 8, 125,000).

Not surprisingly, each of the tracks in the top 10 of Hot Digital Songs were among the top 10 most-played Jackson selections at radio following his passing. According to research provided by Nielsen BDS of monitored airplay from over 1,600 terrestrial and satellite radio stations and cable music channels, "Billie Jean" was the Jackson track with the most spins for the week ending June 28 with 4,540 -- 97% of which occurred after news of his death became public. The track posted only 318 plays in the prior week.

The positive thing that comes out of his death is that people go and reapraise his music, I for one think he wrote some of the best pop songs ever. Beat it has to be one of the great rock songs done by a non rock artist, the guitar solo still gives me shivers by EVH.

Just glad I saw him at Wembley in 1988 when every man and his dog went to those shows, it was truly spectacular..it wasn't the same in 97 on the History tour but those memories in 88 live on. Its great to hear alot of his stuff on the radio.

Thanks for starting the thread Ev. I am still in absolute shock and disbelief over Michael's death! :( In my opinion, he is the greatest entertainer of all time and will always be the "King of Pop" to me. I love you Michael and your music will live on forever in my heart. R.I.P.

I loved his music. Not so much the singer, but the songs. And he could dance like no one's business. If I had to rank my Top 10 MJ songs, they'd go as follows:

1. Beat It

2. Off The Wall

3. Smooth Criminal

4. Billie Jean

5. Remember The Time

6. Human Nature

7. Earth Song

8. Who Is It

9. The Way You Make Me Feel

10. You Rock My World

I still can't believe he's dead, I know he's had a lot of problems but 50 is too young.

I loved his music. Not so much the singer, but the songs. And he could dance like no one's business. If I had to rank my Top 10 MJ songs, they'd go as follows:

1. Beat It

2. Off The Wall

3. Smooth Criminal

4. Billie Jean

5. Remember The Time

6. Human Nature

7. Earth Song

8. Who Is It

9. The Way You Make Me Feel

10. You Rock My World

I still can't believe he's dead, I know he's had a lot of problems but 50 is too young.

Me neither. I grew up listening to Michael so this really hurts, I mean, my entire family is sad!! His image has been tarnished in recent years and I was pulling for him to do well at his comeback performances, but sadly that will never happen now. :(