Billy Mays found dead

zosodude13

TV pitchman Billy Mays found dead in Tampa home

By Drew Harwell, Times Staff Writer

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 11:46 AM

TAMPA — Billy Mays, the TV pitchman whose trademark voice helped sell everything from cleaning supplies to baking soda, was found dead this morning by his wife at his Tampa home. No cause of death has been reported and no foul play is suspected, according to Tampa police.

Mays, 50, was pronounced dead at 7:45 a.m. at 2853 Bowen Daniel Dr., #1201. His wife, Deborah Mays, found him unresponsive this morning. The Medical Examiner's Office will complete Mays' autopsy by tomorrow afternoon.

"Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days," Deborah Mays said in a statement today. "Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

Mays was a passenger Saturday of a 737 airplane that had a front tire blow out, said spokeswoman Brenda Geoghagan. Mays and other passengers were interviewed by US Airways staff after the Philadelphia flight's hard landing. Responders reported no injuries.

"Tampa Fire (Rescue) reported no injuries. Nobody asked for treatment," Geoghagan said. "Some of the passengers said they had bruises."

Mays was one of the stars of "Pitchmen," a Discovery Channel documentary series that focused on Mays' claim to fame: inventions and infomercials.

------------

If you believe in the theory of 3's.... then this may be the third death. Ed McMahon was old, but Billy Mays, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died at a 'young' age.

It doesn't say, but Billy leaves behind a wife, adult son and a young daughter.

Pitchman Billy Mays Found Dead

Posted Jun 28th 2009 11:50AM by TMZ Staff

Billy MaysTMZ has confirmed TV pitchman Billy Mays was found dead today in his home in Tampa, Florida early this morning.

According to the Tampa PD, the 50-year-old TV pitchman was found unresponsive by his wife Deborah at 7:45 AM.

TMZ has learned Mays' body has already been removed from his home.

Mays had just returned from Philadelphia, where he shot a new OxiClean commercial. He was a passenger aboard a plane that suffered a blown front tire upon landing. He told a local TV station, "All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

We're told Mays was at his home around 6:00 PM last night, and according to a source Mays was "acting fine and normal ... he was talking business with his father-in-law."

According to cops, there are no signs of forced entry to the residence and no foul play is suspected.

The Medical Examiner's office is expected to complete the autopsy by tomorrow afternoon.

Billy's wife Deborah just released the following statement:

Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days. Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times.

--------------------------------

I wonder if that hit on his head has something to do with it....?

Perhaps he hit his head on something/something fell on this head and didn't think it was a big deal at the time.

That's what killed my dad.

The link to the other thread on this

link

Here's what we know -- Billy Mays was aboard US Airways Flight 1241 flying from Philadelphia, which landed roughly when the front tire blew out as it touched down. After the flight, Billy told FOX 13 in Tampa that something struck him in the head -- here's Billy's actual quote:

"All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling

started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

This is one of those embarrassing events which at first I thought was a joke, then when I discovered it was true I didn't know what to think because, frankly, I couldn't stand him. But as Rock Action said, I didn't wish death on him, and it's very sad for his family.

TV pitchman Billy Mays found dead in Tampa home

By Drew Harwell, Times Staff Writer

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 11:46 AM

TAMPA — Billy Mays, the TV pitchman whose trademark voice helped sell everything from cleaning supplies to baking soda, was found dead this morning by his wife at his Tampa home. No cause of death has been reported and no foul play is suspected, according to Tampa police.

Mays, 50, was pronounced dead at 7:45 a.m. at 2853 Bowen Daniel Dr., #1201. His wife, Deborah Mays, found him unresponsive this morning. The Medical Examiner's Office will complete Mays' autopsy by tomorrow afternoon.

"Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days," Deborah Mays said in a statement today. "Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

Mays was a passenger Saturday of a 737 airplane that had a front tire blow out, said spokeswoman Brenda Geoghagan. Mays and other passengers were interviewed by US Airways staff after the Philadelphia flight's hard landing. Responders reported no injuries.

"Tampa Fire (Rescue) reported no injuries. Nobody asked for treatment," Geoghagan said. "Some of the passengers said they had bruises."

Mays was one of the stars of "Pitchmen," a Discovery Channel documentary series that focused on Mays' claim to fame: inventions and infomercials.

------------

If you believe in the theory of 3's.... then this may be the third death. Ed McMahon was old, but Billy Mays, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died at a 'young' age.

It doesn't say, but Billy leaves behind a wife, adult son and a young daughter.

:o For real?? Thats sad. I loved his commercials. 'ORANGE GLOW GLOWS NO MORE' :(

Kaboom will live in our hearts forever...

Damn, I HATE his commercials with a passion. But I surely didn't wish death on him. I just wished he'd quit yelling at us!

Bout sums it up for me. I had considered at one time making "Billy Mays, WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?" t-shirts. Kinda pointless now.

RIP Billy

Walter Cronkite is in feally bad shape. :(

yeah, he is. And I would say of all the deaths that have happened in the recent weeks, Walter Cronkite would be the most significant, considering the famous events in American history he is associated with.

Let's just hope that we get a break. It's been getting pretty somber the last few weeks.

My parents watched him call Kennedy's death on national television. Both were home sick from school that day and of course when the news broke, my grandparents herded everyone around their respective TV sets.

If Michael Jackson was the epitome of music, Walter Cronkite IS the evening news.

Too many people died this week.

I'm starting to feel there's nothing out there except death. Death everywhere.

I know how you feel. :(

Whether you loved these people or not, they were ALL significant in the scheme of things. Billy was annoying as all hell, but he may have been a good person otherwise. MJ? Not going all the way there, but like him or not, his talent IS to be respected.

WTF is going on lately? :unsure:

Walter Cronkite is in feally bad shape. :(

"Feally bad"

Wasn't that an album by Michael Jackson?

Anyway, I was very sad to hear the news about Billy Mays. Mays was hands down the greatest pitch man of all time. This was a guy no matter what you thought about his delivery Mays was able to make a huge impact with every product he sold. Mays was a true American pop culture icon. I can honestly say that I will miss him far more than any of the recent losses. Mays was I guy I'm sure any of us could just hang out with. A regular guy with no weirdness issues.

RIP Billy. You were the best.

DEL

Well, then actually Carradine, McMahon and Fawcett were the first trifecta. Jackson and Mays are the first 2 of the next one.

What a weird, weird week.

I would like for Carradine and MJ to be in one weird internaiol star group, awaiting a third...

And McMahon and Farah, both great American icons, can await Walter, if he decides to exit.

And as for this Billy Mays tragedy.....

I knew these serious injuries were going to occur, once the major airlines started charging for checked baggage, and passengers responded by cramming everything but the kitchen sink in their carry-ons, many of which were jammed into the overhead bins, which stay locked.... unless there's turbulence, blown tires, or just plain stupid people not opening and closing them properly.

And as for this Billy Mays tragedy.....

I knew these serious injuries were going to occur, once the major airlines started charging for checked baggage, and passengers responded by cramming everything but the kitchen sink in their carry-ons, many of which were jammed into the overhead bins, which stay locked.... unless there's turbulence, blown tires, or just plain stupid people not opening and closing them properly.

Good point. And while we don't know for sure yet if that is what happened to Mays, you are correct that there is a lot of stupidity around the way those overhead compartments are used.

As for me, I actually yell at people who think they are going to put a bunch of heavy shit over my head. I'm certain that in an accident that stuff is all going to end up flying everywhere anyway. But I don't need some assclown loading a couple hundred pounds of hardsided heavy bullshit right over the heads of me and my family.

Usually I try to board early and put a bunch of my own light stuff up there ahead of time, and when someone comes along with other shit I tell them it is full. Or if I have some idiot who likes to get into the compartment over me too many times for bullshit (iPod, candy etc), I yell again and tell him to either sit the hell down or put the shit under his seat! But you're not going be climbing over me every 15 minutes to play with your bags asshole!

I really hate flying. Not that I'm scared of flying. I just hate being in such close quarters with assholes for many hours on a stretch. In normal situations I like having at least a 10 foot territorial limit around my ass. People inside that limit either behave correctly, or suffer the consequences of their assclownery.

Archived