I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Sublime. Magic. Easily one of the highlights of the TCM Classic Film Festival this year. Carl Dreyer's "The Passion of Joan of Arc" with Richard Einhorn's score and oratorio performed live by orchestra and chorus, conducted by Dr. Mark Sumner. It has long been my opinion that Dreyer's "Joan of Arc" is one of the greatest works of art of Western Civilisation.

http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/voices-of-light-the-passion-of-joan-of-arc/

20160429_213342.thumb.jpg.ad013d840a303b

20160429_193414.thumb.jpg.baf08b608106a4

Edited by Strider

TCM Classic Film Festival ended tonight and capped it off with Faye Dunaway and "Network". Faye was interviewed by Ben Mankiewicz (who was everywhere this festival week, as Robert Osbourne didn't make the trip).

20160501_201005.thumb.jpg.f4cedab554e913

20160501_201337.thumb.jpg.ec3e41c09dc318

Saturday night was a special highlight of the Fest for me, as Anna Karina was making a rare visit to America for the "Bande à part" ("Band of Outsiders") screening. Again, Ben Mankiewicz did the honours of interviewing. I have been swooning over Anna for a long, long, long time.

20160430_212637.thumb.jpg.781239a1da5228

• 3 weeks later...

"The Nice Guys" ???

I have been waiting for a good time to post this and now that the movie opens this Friday, now is as good a time as any.

I saw "The Nice Guys" about three weeks ago at a screening at the American Cinematheque with Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe, producer Joel Silver, and writer-director Shane Black in person for a post-screening Q & A. The movie is a pre-CGI era throwback to mismatched buddy-action flicks like "48 Hours", "Hickey & Boggs", and "Lethal Weapon".

The murder mystery ain't that difficult to figure out but that isn't the draw of the film. No, the real reason to see "The Nice Guys" is to revel in the comic chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe. Russell Crowe hasn't been this good in a long time. Oh, and the girl who plays Ryan Gosling's daughter is pretty good, too. She's an Australian actress named Andourie Rice.

The film is set in 1977 Los Angeles...but it was mostly filmed in Georgia!

Anyway...it's a good movie to escape from the heat and enjoy yourself for a couple hours. Much better than the other movie opening this week.."Neighbors 2".

Photos from the Q & A...left to right: Joel Silver, Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe, Shane Black.20160504_210426.thumb.jpg.d7420a424ddfa6

20160504_210124.thumb.jpg.7fbb9a2b35cf1e

On 4/4/2016 at 0:04 AM, Strider said:

Linklater is also a Led Zeppelin fan and his movies usually have a Led Zeppelin reference. There are a couple Led Zeppelin references in "Everybody Wants Some"...including a very Jimmy Page-specific reference that will bring a smile of triumph to those knowledgeable enough to spot it.

Bonus prize to the first person who posts the answer here on this thread.

Nearly two months later and nobody has replied. Either nobody has seen "Everybody Wants Some!!" or nobody has spotted the Led Zeppelin references...or nobody likes winning prizes.

So I declare the contest over. Maybe I'll just pick someone at random and send them the prize.

As to the answer...There were two Led Zeppelin references. The easy one was when the guys go to the artsy-crowd's party and one of the guys sees a guy in a hooded cloak much like Jimmy Page's fantasy sequence in "Dazed and Confused", and says "Look! It's the Led Zeppelin dude".

The second, and one only well-read fans might catch, Led Zeppelin reference happens in the scene where they are in Willoughby's (Wyatt Russell) room smoking a bong and listening to Pink Floyd's "Fearless". As Willoughby explains the beauty of the music to his friends, he uses phrases like "the space between the notes" and "tangents within a framework", which just happens to be the title of Howard Mylett's biography of Jimmy Page.

I asked Richard Linklater if that was in the script originally or a later addition? He said Wyatt Russell came up with that line himself improvising during rehearsals. Which suggests Wyatt Russell is a Led Zeppelin fan himself and has read Howard Mylatt's book...or at least knows about it.

• 3 weeks later...

5eWqmB6VMAX82IUJNnTpfjfD73F.jpg

Ok, so I only recently about a month back, finally got the Boris Karloff:Icons of Horror DVD set & finally found some free time over the weekend to watch it. "Boogie Man," judging by most of the reviews I've seen on IMDB & Amazon seem to have opinions ranging all over the map--from "horrid" to "comedic brilliance."

Count me as one of the latter who thought it was "brilliance." Of course, any vehicle that has Karloff and Peter Lorre together has great promise & this movie met whatever lofty expectations I had for it...

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

^^^I have read some advance promo on that. I'll keep an eye out.

Monday night was spent in Paris...20160711_214045.jpg

Last night was a good ol' cheap B-movie bonanza with two country outlaws: Johnny Cash (hopped up on pills) in "Five Minutes to Live" and Merle Haggard in "Killers Three"...which also had Dick Clark, who starred and produced the film.

20160712_190900.jpg

14 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Speechless after watching this short film. No words. Gives you such a lot to think about! One of the most powerful films I've seen this year. 

2144403be94578c10d4bef78d9e19937.jpg

If my son's best friend had the opportunity to get all those boys and girls (who bullied him in school for being gay) to watch this film, he would seize the day! 

Edited by Emily008

10 hours ago, Emily008 said:

If my son's best friend had the opportunity to get all those boys and girls (who bullied him in school for being gay) to watch this film, he would seize the day! 

I am going to get my parents to see this film over the weekend. We need to see this as a family. It is important.

Everyone on this earth must see this. It is as important as IMO, other short films such as India's Daughter, for instance. 

2 hours ago, Strider said:

The greatest short film ever.

Damn! That is so mean!!! I knew that there was going to be trouble when I heard notes from The Overture of William Tell! 

Will it be terrible if I actually thanked you for posting this?! :hysterical: 

It just screams Tex Avery!! I know that he didn't create this, but this film really reminded me of his gags! :P 

Like this one:

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

I'm going to Sunday's showing..there's also showings the following Wednesday.

Be the first time seeing Planet of the Apes on the big screen !

Here's the link:

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/planet-of-the-apes?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=87-Paid&utm_campaign=PlanetApes

2016-07-18-15-29-52.png

Edited by zepscoda
To add link

3 hours ago, zepscoda said:

I'm going to Sunday's showing..there's also showings the following Wednesday.

Be the first time seeing Planet of the Apes on the big screen !

Here's the link:

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/planet-of-the-apes?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=87-Paid&utm_campaign=PlanetApes

2016-07-18-15-29-52.png

That is awesome zepscoda! It is so much better to see it on the big screen with Jerry Goldsmith's wonderful score in full volume. I see it every chance I get when the American Cinematheque or Arclight Hollywood screens it locally.

"You maniacs! Damn you all to hell!"

Edited by Strider

Oh my god. That was so much fun. I never tire of "West Side Story". A beautiful 70mm film print. I don't know how George Chakiris does it...he looks like he could still dance the role of Bernardo. Or Riff...that was the role he originally was playing in the British stage production when the producers called him for the film version. I wish I could have seen him as Riff. Not that there is anything wrong with Russ Tamblyn. They were both looking great tonight. Now I have the songs humming in my head...

• 5 weeks later...