I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Last night I watched duelling Bing Crosbys. "Holiday Inn" vs. "White Christmas". The original 1942 version of "White Christmas" that Irving Berlin wrote expressly for "Holiday Inn" and the later version sung in 1954's "White Christmas". Which movie is your favourite? I have gotta say that Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen (those gorgeous gams) tip the scales in favour of "White Christmas" for me. The "Sisters" song (both the gals scene and the guys scene) alone is worth the price of admission. The only down-note for me about "White Christmas" is that Rosemary Clooney's character is so quick to assume/judge and so wild in her mood swings that I need Dramamine to keep up.

132191081_3200986063461146_4908266131981235002_n.jpg.baa9cc1e8c6d8afb80f437992f40d882.jpg

132198110_3200986276794458_3778548606871792160_o.thumb.jpg.4a7526eca423365858ca707cbe91b2c2.jpg

Definitely White Christmas!  One of my all-time favorites.  As much as I love Fred Astaire (and I do!), I'm not a big fan of Holiday Inn.  However, I never skip watching White Christmas at least once a year. 

54 minutes ago, RainbowElf said:

Scrooge

image.jpeg

One of the all time greats! Have you seen the 3.25 hour 2019 version with Guy Pearce? Let's just say it is really good but much darker with much more backstory (Dickens never could write a decently fleshed out character). I was very pleasantly surprised.

9 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

One of the all time greats! Have you seen the 3.25 hour 2019 version with Guy Pearce? Let's just say it is really good but much darker with much more backstory (Dickens never could write a decently fleshed out character). I was very pleasantly surprised.

Yes I was watching it the other day but fell asleep on it, not because it was boring but because I was too tired , but I will watch it again.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:16 PM, RainbowElf said:

Scrooge

image.jpeg

BY far the best of the Christmas Carol movies.  And nobody is actually GOING  to the movies. You cant.   Not with Covid.  Of course this one is on yearly with any cable, satellite or streaming service.  I own the DVD, its color on one side and black and white on the other.  I usually watch it in black and white. It puts it more in perspective. For 1951 they do an excellent job on the ghost scenes. Better than many current high tech ones. IMO.  The 1938 version with Reginald Owen is worth praise also.  And June Lockhart's family is in that one. Two members. 

13 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

BY far the best of the Christmas Carol movies.  And nobody is actually GOING  to the movies. You cant.   Not with Covid.  Of course this one is on yearly with any cable, satellite or streaming service.  I own the DVD, its color on one side and black and white on the other.  I usually watch it in black and white. It puts it more in perspective. For 1951 they do an excellent job on the ghost scenes. Better than many current high tech ones. IMO.  The 1938 version with Reginald Owen is worth praise also.  And June Lockhart's family is in that one. Two members. 

I saw the Seymour Hicks one I’m sure  I’ve seen the Reginald Owens one.

Fatman (2020)

I really enjoyed this dark comedy Christmas tale with Mel Gibson. This now is my favorite Christmas film after Bad Santa (2003) with Billy Bob Thorton.

If you like films that are "in the style of" a Coen Brothers type of story, you may enjoy this film. 

spacer.png

Edited by kipper