I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

13 hours ago, redrum said:

'Ol Elisha looked like he was gonna have a heart attack. Was that Krupa on drums? Never saw that before. 👍

Dave Coleman did the drumming in "Phantom Lady" and that is his band you see in that little scene.

Clint Eastwood movies for two weeks at the Landmark Westwood. Happy Labor Day.

Fri, September 3: A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (1964) SHOWN IN 4K!
Sat, September 4: FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (1965) SHOWN IN 4K!
Sun, September 5: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1966)
SHOWN IN 4K!
Mon, September 6: EVERY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE (1978)
Wed, September 8: MAGNUM FORCE (1973)
Thu, September 9: THE BEGUILED (1971)
Fri, September 10: PLAY MISTY FOR ME (1971)
Sat, September 11: ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ (1979) SHOWN IN 4K!
Sun, September 12: TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA (1970) SHOWN IN 4K!
Wed, September 15: HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER (1973)
Thu, September 16: MILLION DOLLAR BABY (2004)

image.jpeg.1aef38a4d2bc32b31b79d840fe5d71e9.jpeg

Hi! I'm Jean-Paul Belmondo. Welcome to Jackass. 

Seriously, Jean-Paul Belmondo did some of his own stunts in movies such as "That Man From Rio" and this particular stunt in 1971's "Le Casse". Belmondo was a boxer before becoming an actor and he said he preferred making action thrillers like this than the existential French New Wave films he is most known for. The insurance companies must have had a heart attack watching this footage.

MV5BNWU3ZjBjMGUtYWYyMy00Zjg3LTgzNzUtMzk1MTMzM2U2YjhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQzMzQzODY@._V1_.jpg.1a3b7fa96ac32f3b6d3eda80f99f517d.jpg

MV5BZDQ4YWIzZDUtNTljOS00NTNiLTlkNmYtYzIyNzkzYmU4NDY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUyMTgxNjA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.thumb.jpg.cae5a9c12c0d4bd843ed3d4167ec2f9c.jpg

Edited by Strider

Seen most of these recently except for Million Dollar Baby. 

Fri, September 3: A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (1964) SHOWN IN 4K!
Sat, September 4: FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (1965) SHOWN IN 4K!
Sun, September 5: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1966)
SHOWN IN 4K!
Mon, September 6: EVERY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE (1978)
Wed, September 8: MAGNUM FORCE (1973)
Thu, September 9: THE BEGUILED (1971)
Fri, September 10: PLAY MISTY FOR ME (1971)
Sat, September 11: ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ (1979) SHOWN IN 4K!
Sun, September 12: TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA (1970) SHOWN IN 4K!
Wed, September 15: HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER (1973)
Thu, September 16: MILLION DOLLAR BABY (2004)

Saw this double-bill Saturday night at the New Beverly Cinema and, surprise, they showed the trailer for the new Paul Thomas Anderson film, "Licorice Pizza". In the PTA timeline, this film looks situated between "Inherent Vice" and "Boogie Nights", smack dab in the middle of the 1970s. If you lived in Southern California in the 1970s, you understand the title Licorice Pizza. The only faces I recognized in the trailer were Tom Waits, Maya Rudolph, and Sean Penn. Frankly, it is hard to tell from the trailer if this movie will be any good or just a sprawling mess.

I have never liked the "Valley Girl" poster because the girl in the poster does not look like Deborah Foreman in the slightestDeborah Foreman was way hotter. As for "Clueless",  I had not seen it in 26 years and it still holds up as a reasonably clever and funny updating of Jane Austen's "Emma"…and Alicia Silverstone is cuter than Gwyneth Paltrow. Alicia was at the peak of her hotness and "girl of the moment" status here. I had forgotten Donald Faison (who would go on to star as 'Dr. Turk' in the "Scrubs" tv series) was in "Clueless", and Paul Rudd has not aged in 26 years. R.I.P. Brittany Murphy, who died a strange death at age 32.

valley-girl-vintage-movie-poster-original-1-sheet-27x41-1620.thumb.jpg.860a8cf176784b4bb0c8709ba96b1005.jpg

clueless-vintage-movie-poster-original-1-sheet-27x41.thumb.jpg.9679a22ad01c73b735002488305326ce.jpg

No problemmo!  I know everyone gushes over "The Sopranos", but I think the story lines really miss the mark.  Don't get me wrong - love the concept, GREAT acting and cast, scenery is spot on.....but they could have taken the story lines SO much farther.

Examples: When Tony's shrink is raped, that whole story line went no where...it just "happened".  Imagine if she had told Tony (who was infatuated with her) what REALLY happened to her and not a car accident?  Especially if she told Tony she knew who the guy was! 

They wasted 20 minutes of screen time on Meadow wanting to leave school to go to Europe....then she just changes her mind, and they go to a different story line!

Same thing when Tony was going to send his son to military school.  Twenty minutes later...NAH, changed his mind and that story thread meant nothing

Took in this double-feature last night. Both movies I had probably not seen since the late 1990s-early 2000s. Both were shown on great 35mm film prints. Both movies were perfect for casting away the Monday blues. Kathleen Turner, Brigitte Lin, and Faye Wong are all terrific.
And I got another viewing of the "Licorice Pizza" trailer…the new film by Paul Thomas Anderson. This time, I recognized Bradley Cooper as hairdresser and Barbra Streisand's boyfriend Jon Peters. I also caught more glimpses of Sean Penn. I still have no idea who the two kids are in the leads…don't recognize them at all.
510wWYS4MFL._AC_.jpg.21194b0a502582ff927581b73971ed5b.jpg
chungking_express__movie_poster__by_seblakes31_dep34tb-fullview.thumb.jpg.ab8ad2452cbbb44b4b3e482fcb86def7.jpg

Because I first saw Rex Harrison in his later films such as "My Fair Lady" and "Doctor Dolittle", he was always one of those actors who seemed old to me. Even in his younger films such as these two, he seems old….but in his own weird way, charming nonetheless.

The Technicolor cinematography by Ronald Neame (who went on to direct such classics as "Poseidon Adventure") in David Lean's 1945 "Blithe Spirit" is wondrous. It reminds me of the Technicolor magic pulled off by Jack Cardiff in the Powell-Pressburger films. Margaret Rutherford is a hoot as the spirit medium. 

1755552159_Nol_Cowards_Blithe_Spirit_(1945_film).thumb.jpg.4b7dd9efc9895f6568ad7053577c2c7b.jpg

1947's "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir" was next. As a kid, I watched the tv show version starring Hope Lange and Edward Mulhare in 1968-69. They were okay but no match for Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison. Also, Natalie Wood is cute as Gene Tierney's daughter. I recognized the Palos Verdes and Abalone Cove shoreline used in the film as a substitute for England in some of the scenes. Bernard Herrmann did the score.

GHOSTANDMRSMUIR1SHHR.jpg.c5e898d5a8d05d7552c340f02fabcd3f.jpg

On 9/15/2021 at 6:00 AM, Stryder1978 said:

No problemmo!  I know everyone gushes over "The Sopranos", but I think the story lines really miss the mark.  Don't get me wrong - love the concept, GREAT acting and cast, scenery is spot on.....but they could have taken the story lines SO much farther.

Examples: When Tony's shrink is raped, that whole story line went no where...it just "happened".  Imagine if she had told Tony (who was infatuated with her) what REALLY happened to her and not a car accident?  Especially if she told Tony she knew who the guy was! 

They wasted 20 minutes of screen time on Meadow wanting to leave school to go to Europe....then she just changes her mind, and they go to a different story line!

Same thing when Tony was going to send his son to military school.  Twenty minutes later...NAH, changed his mind and that story thread meant nothing

Not to defend the Sopranos but I believe that was the point of both plot lines. Dr. Melfi struggled with not telling Tony, you know she wanted to in order to exact revenge against the "employee of the month" who raped her. If she went down that path though she would have been no better than Tony, and even encouraging his criminal behaviors. The AJ / military school plotline was to show how weak and incapable AJ was at the time, and how indecisive and in the weeds Tony was in regard to dealing with his family / personal issues.

Bottom line is Tony was a narcissistic sociopath / psychopath of which every single action made by him was viewed through that lense. Will this help me, hurt me, or have no affect? If the action helped him he was all in, if the action could result in the other two he blew it off.

Tony Soprano was the blueprint for all anti-hero's to follow. That was a character most people loved even though he was one of the most vile pieces of shit in cinematic history.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:00 AM, Stryder1978 said:

Can't wait for The Many Saints Of Newark to come out, that's my hometown, the Mob ruled Downeck Newark, well possibly all of Newark.

Since yesterday was National Silent Movie Day I watched Oscar Micheaux's "Within Our Gates" (1920). The oldest surviving feature film by an African-American filmmaker. It was the only movie on TCM's silent film schedule yesterday that I had not seen. It bears some of the flaws many old silent movies, especially pre-1922 or so, had…inconsistent narrative, awkward editing, shallow characterizations. But there were enough interesting moments that made it worthwhile to watch, even if only for historical value.

243578978_3432500260309724_5925312795591113040_n.thumb.jpg.1b267e49e8557c3e446a75e64dc41eca.jpg

Another part of my viewing on National Silent Movie Day was this documentary film by Bill Morrison about the 1978 discovery of hundreds and hundreds of reels of nitrate film buried in the frozen ground of Dawson City in the Yukons of Canada. I first saw this at its American premiere at the TCM Film Festival in 2017. Utterly transfixing. Love the score by Alex Somers, too.

242708773_3433076176918799_6467936730641014271_n.jpg.dbdaa0a2de9c5cff1d7bc58e4ec57cb3.jpg