So Sad...

The Zeppelin

I was talking to a girl who claimed she was very much aaginst the messages behind modern music and liked the older stuff more. Well I was ecstatic thinking, Oh god Im not the only one my age who prefers it.

I asked if she liked Led Zeppelin. Her response?

Thats the band with Bruce Springstein right?

So sad....

I was talking to a girl who claimed she was very much aaginst the messages behind modern music and liked the older stuff more. Well I was ecstatic thinking, Oh god Im not the only one my age who prefers it.

So sad....

Thanks "The Zeppelin", I got good giggle out of that!! It reminded me of the time back in the late 1980's when I was talking to some one much younger than me that said .... Yeah, that Ted Zeppelin, he was good!!

• 2 weeks later...

I later found out that her definition of older music was Nirvana. Sometimes liking Zepp and this genre makes you feel lonely when you have conversations about music with your fellow students. dry.gif

I'm guilty of that too. Sorry but when I was in high school (back in the early 1980's) I wasn't into the "New Wave", New Country" and "Metal" as much as I was the older 1960's & 1970's music.

In the mid/late 1980's I started liking some of Metal's better band's, but when I was in high school 1978-1982 I was a ELO, The Who and in the later years Led Zeppelin freak!

So sad....

That's a double wammy. Clearly she has no clue who either Led Zep or Bruce Springsteen is. She obviously lives in a cave. Nobody can be that ignorant. I don't care how old you are.

No one knows Led Zeppelin at their born, all the fans come to it at a certain point in our life.

I'd hardly call anybody "ignorant" just because he/she is not into the kind of music I like. It would be much nicer if you can guide her into the wonderful music, I think. :)

I'd hardly call anybody "ignorant" just because he/she is not into the kind of music I like.

You don't have to be 'into the music' to be aware of who they are. Clearly this little ignoramus isn't aware of who Zeppelin/Springteen are. How can anybody be that dense, unless they are 5 years old.

If she is in America, did she miss all the media attention than Adam Lambert got for singing a Led Zeppelin song on American Idol? Plant and Krauss? The Grammies?

In England, it's been hard to not be at least 'aware' of Led Zeppelin especially in the last few years what with the reunion, Plant doing well, Jimmy Page at the Olympics etc etc.

That is totally different from 'knowing all about' their music.

Well, I'm just thankful that the person who got me into Led Zeppelin was not like "F**k, you don't know Led Zeppelin? How can you be so dense? What, you think they are a german band because of their name? You are so stupid..." .

:P

Well, I'm just thankful that the person who got me into Led Zeppelin was not like "F**k, you don't know Led Zeppelin? How can you be so dense? What, you think they are a german band because of their name? You are so stupid..." .

:P

What are you babblin' about?

You don't have to own Mothership to be "aware" (NOTE; AWARE!!!!!!!!!!) that Jimmy Page was at the Olympics or that Plant picked up 5 Grammies this year.

Are you really that dense too?

Am I talking to a 5 year old too?

What are you talking about? :huh:

I didn't call you, or anybody "stupid". :unsure:

I was just saying the person who introduced me to Led Zeppelin didn't call ME stupid because I was not aware of Led Zeppelin at that time. That's all.

What are you babblin' about?

You don't have to own Mothership to be "aware" (NOTE; AWARE!!!!!!!!!!) that Jimmy Page was at the Olympics or that Plant picked up 5 Grammies this year.

Are you really that dense too?

Am I talking to a 5 year old too?

I think (hope) that your tone here suggests that you misunderstood glicine's tone/point. She wasn't being rude to you, so it seems unnecessary.

In any case, I do think it's quite possible for people to be totally unaware of Zeppelin's existence (maybe they're not into sport, or they don't follow award shows, or maybe they don't know the names of the individual members of the band, or maybe they were born after 1980, or whatever). It's possible for people to be unaware of people who are hugely famous in all sorts of professions--the sports stars I've never heard of would fill an encyclopedia. :D It's not a crime. If you think someone should know about Zeppelin, you tell them. Now they know. End of.

I was just at a youth church convention ( I know, I didn't want to go) and I spotted, out of more than a thousand middle-highschool students, three kids wearing Led Zeppelin shirts. I have been a Zeppelin fan for about two years, and I have yet to find any Zepp paraphanalia, so this is to say that there were probably significantly more than five Zeppelin fans ( me and my friend included) at this gathering.

I feel nothing but sorrow for the poor souls who don't know any better than the music of today, and I make it one of my goals in life to spread the power of Zepp far and wide.

I think to personally degrade someone because they haven't heard of Zeppelin says a lot about your attitude, rather than their supposed ignorance.

I once knew someone who liked Hermann and the Hermits, but ask if he liked Eric Clapton and he had no clue who you were talking about. To like one band doesn't mean you'll know of, or like, another. Added with the fact that 'old' music isn't just confined to rock, and it's hardly surprising that some big bands are still unknown to today's youth.

Like Glicine said, you aren't born with the inherent knowledge of these bands, so it's not impossible to not know of them, either. I'm sure there are plenty of kids who are completely unaware of Nirvana now. Robert got a few gongs (not a euphemism), and all American kids are supposed to care? Futhermore, why would she care about Adam Lambert? He's part of the 'message behind modern music' that she disagrees with. And Jimmy's trip to Beijing mean nothing to Britain's youth, either. If they give a shit about the Grammies it isn't because of Robert, and if they watched the Olypmics it wasn't in anticipation of Jimmy, either. People are saying that they don't need their records to be aware of Zeppelin -- why? Why should they be aware of them? If people know of them, they know of them. If they don't, they don't. Either way, it won't stop me playing my records. When they want to hear their stuff, they will. They'll probably kick themselves that they didn't hear them sooner, but it doesn't make them an idiot that they didn't.

There's a lot of music I'm embarrassingly ignorant of, but I'd like to think that I'm not an idiot because of it.

• 3 months later...

So sad....

Please tell me that she's not your friend anymore? HAHA! I'm j/k. Wow that's a stupid answer and it's so embarrassing....for her! Bruce Springsteen doesn't even compar to Zeppelin IMO. Wow....ohmy.gif

To comment on the flip side of this thread, I met a 21 year old kid this weekend who knew LZ and then some. I went over to a friends house last weekend and they had what looked to be a garden shed in the back yard. It turns out to be the boys' old playhouse converted into a mini studio. The kid had turn tables and a mixer board and a shit load of vinyl records in there. When I told him I liked Led Zeppelin, he put on III and a Muddy Watters album and started playing around with mixing the two together. He was very knowledgable about blues, jazz and rock artists going pretty far back but really preferred the music from the 60s and 70s. He said he was always on the hunt for rare vinyl, always broke but happy. He was very interesing to talk to and I was pretty impressed but this kid. So all is not lost for the younger generation.

My mom loves "All My Love", especially the part "where he plays the trumpet". (Sigh...I've given up trying to explain that it's not a trumpet!) :blink:

I think she gets points for having her own copy of Led Zeppelin II though :)

My mom loves "All My Love", especially the part "where he plays the trumpet". (Sigh...I've given up trying to explain that it's not a trumpet!) blink.gif

I think she gets points for having her own copy of Led Zeppelin II though smile.gif

Your mom ROCKS wave.gif

You know, there aren't really that many chances for a kid to know Led Zep, unless one's parents were into good music, or there are some musical clubs at school. In Romania we had a radio station right afer 1989 that largely broadcasted '60s-'80s, in order to catch up with what we had missed in the past 40 years. But since then... who knows of them anymore? some VH1 top with WLL? and "another brick in the wall" ? you can't even hear The Beatles anymore! unless someone kind enough introduces you to gold ole rock, you can be just as ignorant as that girl... It's not about having good taste in music, but about its exposure in the common media.

In literature, painting, classical music the masters are highly regarded and emphasized. The post-war, "entertaining" music was somehow regarded as a temporary fashion, that will pass and leave no mark. So that all media push the last mediocre discovery instead of the classics we love. THAT is sad.

Archived