Robert Plant Charity Gig

glicine

Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant Confirms One-Off, Choir-Backed London Show

In aid of Cancer Research UK...

Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant has announced a one-off, ultra intimate charity gig in London next month.

The 61-year-old rock legend plays the Sound & Vision show in aid of Cancer Research UK at Abbey Road Studios on February 25th.

Plant's unique set will include support from American singer-songwriter Beth Nielson Chapman and the London Oriana Choir.

Fans can bid for the chance to attend the show on the Sound & Vision eBay site from today.

As well as the Robert Plant show, items up for auction in the sale include a guitar signed by all four members of The Prodigy, a Kaiser Chiefs drumskin signed by the whole band, plus handwritten lyrics from Tori Amos, Doves, Mumford & Sons and more.

source here: gigwise

For fu**s sake. I really don't know what's wrong with people sometimes. :slapface:

Oh you know it perfectly. :P

It doesn't matter at all what Robert Plant does. The simple fact that he is doing something troubles some people here, I guess.

Great that he's doing something for charity, but more elevator music Percy? :blink::coffee:

After all he has done to help out the Americana Music Association and local musicians here in Nashville, he could sing nursery rhymes and still receive my full support. It is very nice of him to do these shows for charity.

I'm delighted he's doing this--he's already done a lot to support research into cancer, and it's so great that he's doing something unique for this gig. :) But what I don't understand is why the link refers to "the sold-out event," given that this is the first we've heard of it?

(Not that I'd have been able to go anyway. :( )

I'm delighted he's doing this--he's already done a lot to support research into cancer, and it's so great that he's doing something unique for this gig. :) But what I don't understand is why the link refers to "the sold-out event," given that this is the first we've heard of it?

(Not that I'd have been able to go anyway. :( )

The event basically aims at representatives from the music industry so the majority of the tickets is being given away "by invitation only".

Only a small fraction is available to the public, as tickets are highly in demand (due to the high-profile nature of the occasion, venue, artists etc.) no broad promotion is necessary to generate enough interest.

As it naturally exceeds the number of tickets available by far, people have to register for a ballot to indicate their interest. This was possible throughout January this time and the deadline was set for 22 Jan.

The ballot was drawn every day last week and winners were informed subsequently before the offical announcement regarding the auction at Ebay was made today.

So by the time this official announcement happens (usually at the beginning of Febr) technically speaking the event is "sold-out" as no tickets are available for purchase then anymore, apart from those few that are auctioned off until 21 Febr. (five pairs this year to commemorate the 5th year S & V is taking place) including the chance for a M & G with some of the artists.

RP's participation was announced by Bob on 1 Dec 2009 already and repeatedly confirmed around 14 Dec basically together with the rest of the line-up.

Newton Faulkner was the only artist who had officially confirmed his attendance very early on.

The original low-key announcement itself for 2010 was issued around 1 Nov if I remember correctly.

How is this going to help cancer research? And more specifically, will it make any difference in the actual lives of cancer patients? And if so, how many?

This is a charity gig.

And every effort should be appreciated, shouldn't it?

This is a charity gig.

And every effort should be appreciated, shouldn't it?

If it is only for appearances sake, no. I prefer to support charities that yield solid results. If this is going to be just another event where people pat each other on the back but otherwise nothing really gets accomplished other than a few photo ops, I will not be impressed. I'm hard to please.

Since the number of tickets sold to the Public is limited, I would think they have a fairly good idea how much will be raised even not considering those tickets / merchandise up for bid. Having Robert as an attendee probably generated considerable demand from those attending by invitation only...which I suspect greatly enhanced these donations. If most services were donated for this cause, then I can see the possibility of a sizable fundraiser. The music business seems to be a difficult model for making money where typically many parties want a cut of the action.

Really interesting if you think about it....

If it is only for appearances sake, no. I prefer to support charities that yield solid results. If this is going to be just another event where people pat each other on the back but otherwise nothing really gets accomplished other than a few photo ops, I will not be impressed. I'm hard to please.

WTF is wrong with people in this thread???? It's a CHARITY event, with funds raised from ticket sales and auctions going to CANCER RESEARCH. So how could that be interpreted as being "for appearances sake" ????

Go and raise more for that cause yourself Honey, before you f**king impress me.

You didn't get what "charity" means?

So better click on the link I posted and get better understanding, will you?

And Robert Plant doesn't do this to please YOU, sorry, he does this for people who suffer the pain of cancer.

I would assume that the tickets advanced to music industry people are given with the understanding that they will make donations to the charity in return for the tickets.

Lynn: Don't have specific information regarding this event, however in Nashville that is how it traditionally works-the record label or organization donates money and in exchange receives a certain number of tickets to the event-depending on the amount of the donation.

As a healthcare professional I do believe that cancer research leads to improved outcomes for cancer patients.

I cannot believe some of the posts in this thread. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

Awesome news! Robert has been so generous with various charities over the years, it's always great to see him backing such wonderful organisations. Awesome pairing too.

It is amazing to me how people will take anything Robert does and find a way to negate it. Short of him singing with Zep, he can't seem to do anything right according to some. I find that pretty depressing, particularly in a thread like this :(

Lynn: Don't have specific information regarding this event, however in Nashville that is how it traditionally works-the record label or organization donates money and in exchange receives a certain number of tickets to the event-depending on the amount of the donation.

Do you live in Nashville Kentuckygirl? :slapface:

Archived