Robert Plant Charity Gig

glicine

Nice one, Robert.

As a son who lost a father to pancreatic cancer, and a brother with another family member trying to combat this horrible disease, I salute his ongoing support of research that will undoubtedly help many others in their own personal fights. Emphasize the word "ongoing" here. Zep fans should be well acquainted with Robert's commitment to this cause. What he chooses to sing or not sing is completely irrelevant. The fact that he's more than willing to devote his time and energy to help raise funds speaks volumes about his character.

One of the many great things about being a Zep fan is knowing that the guys have long been supportive of many good causes over the course of their careers. Say and think what you want about their debauchery and hedonistic ways back in the 70s, but in more recent times (and even occasionally back in the good old days), JPJ, Jimmy and Robert have always demonstrated a most admirable willingness to help those in need. The list of their efforts is too long to chronicle here.

Just don't be so quick to shoot down the naysayers. For me, there are few things in life more satisfying than watching a moron like Stevedore use a public forum to showcase his dim wittedness over and over and over. It's one of the many great things about the Internet. So let him go, please! More, Stevedore, more! Rahm the point home.

Love,

Billy

Just don't be so quick to shoot down the naysayers. For me, there are few things in life more satisfying than watching a moron like Stevedore use a public forum to showcase his dim wittedness over and over and over. It's one of the many great things about the Internet. So let him go, please! More, Stevedore, more! Rahm the point home.

Love,

Billy

:lol:

(And may your brother's family member win that fight)

Nice one, Robert.

As a son who lost a father to pancreatic cancer, and a brother with another family member trying to combat this horrible disease, I salute his ongoing support of research that will undoubtedly help many others in their own personal fights. Emphasize the word "ongoing" here. Zep fans should be well acquainted with Robert's commitment to this cause. What he chooses to sing or not sing is completely irrelevant. The fact that he's more than willing to devote his time and energy to help raise funds speaks volumes about his character.

One of the many great things about being a Zep fan is knowing that the guys have long been supportive of many good causes over the course of their careers. Say and think what you want about their debauchery and hedonistic ways back in the 70s, but in more recent times (and even occasionally back in the good old days), JPJ, Jimmy and Robert have always demonstrated a most admirable willingness to help those in need. The list of their efforts is too long to chronicle here.

Love,

Billy

Sincerely hope your brother wins his battle and that continued research will rid us all of this silent killer.

Thank you.

Robert's a good guy and when he does these charity benefits, it makes me feel even better about being one of his biggest fans.

I don't love everything he's done musically post-Zep, but that discussion is for another thread. Seriously, someone/anyone who doesn't see how wildly inappropriate it is to use this particular topic as an opportunity to cast dispersion on and make snarky comments about his recent musical endeavors is just beyond hope. A total, utter and complete lost cause.

I'm all for free speech and voicing your opinions in public forum, but for the love of Christ, pick your spots.

Love,

Billy

Ok this is cool but i dont understand-is this on tv or just the radio? Can someone help me out please? If you know anything what tv network and or radio station? I have att with all the channels if that helps. Thanks!

Robert's cancer research gig? neither, I wouldn't think. :huh:

Edit: Oops, see below. Shows how much I know! :D Good news, anyway, or it would be if we got Absolute here. :P

Though having now read the site in more detail, it's not clear to me whether they're actually going to broadcast it?

This is from the official Robert Plant site.

link

If you aren’t lucky enough to be there on the night, you can listen to Geoff Lloyd’s Hometime show on Absolute Radio from 5pm, and Ben Jones Live from 8pm. Geoff and Ben will be broadcasting live from the event.

So I hope we will be able to get this.

• 2 weeks later...

Peeking in for a review :D

Robert Plant is moving away from the mothership

By John Aizlewood, Evening Standard 26.02.10

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/review-23810439-robert-plant-is-moving-away-from-the-mothership.do

If anything, the extraordinary acclaim that greeted Led Zeppelin’s one-show comeback in 2007 served only to turn singer Robert Plant away from the mothership as he resisted the entreaties of Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones to dilute the reunion with more shows. Last night, at a benefit which raised more than £200,000 for Cancer Research and coincidentally celebrated Abbey Road’s elevation to listed building status in the wake of sell-off speculation, Plant pushed both boundaries and buttons.

He was backed by the London Oriana Choir, whose thrilling vocal pyrotechnics transcended both a patchy sound and a disastrous start where Plant’s band mistakenly struck up Stairway To Heaven, much to their leader’s displeasure.

Declaring Scott Walker’s challenging 1995 album Tilt “a sensational moment in pop history”, Plant covered its half-sung, half-spoken opener, Farmer In The City, assuredly snuggling into its unsettling strangeness. Whole Lotta Love it wasn’t; rather brilliant it was.

The avant-garde beckoned. Instead, Plant wrapped his still mighty vocals around the gorgeous South Seas lullaby I Bid You Goodnight. Even so, he was in chippy mood, describing himself as “old and bitter” after grumpily anointing the Oriana Choir as “the future of rock’n’roll because it looks like there’s not much else going on”.

A third and final song meant a third and final curveball. On what would have been Abbey Road stalwart George Harrison’s 67th birthday, Plant was joined by support acts including David Gray (chippy himself earlier when introducing Fugitive to the noisy glass-clinking crowd with an acid “this one goes very well with champagne”), on a chaotic but inspired My Sweet Lord.

A strange evening, but these days that’s how Robert Plant prefers it.

That doesn't really sound like an evening I'd have enjoyed much. Patchy sound, disastrous start, leader's displeasure, halfsung halfspoken unsettling strangeness, South Seas lullaby, chaotic.

I thought Robert embraced new music, so what's with the remark,

"Even so, he was in chippy mood, describing himself as “old and bitter” after grumpily anointing the Oriana Choir as “the future of rock’n’roll because it looks like there’s not much else going on”.

Thank you for posting the Tight But Loose article...it's interesting that people took different things away from the night

From the Tight But Loose review

"A brief humorous hurdy gurdy run through of Stairway To Heaven from Nigel led into Roberts opening performance. "

I'm happy the night honored so many people and moments...bless them :D

Archived