Jimmy Page and Rimowa Team Up for the Logo Case

SteveAJones

:P Watch me genius up this thread :P

Idea:

1. Market the case with Jimmy's Zoso seal of approval

2. Make commercial showing Jimmy putting that "Black Beauty" within the case and having Jimmy himself shove it off a two story building :P :P ;).

3. Opens it, then starts playing Bring It on Home, No Quarter, or even Trampled Under Foot B)

4. (Jimmy out of focus in background playing)Ends with narrator, "Jimmy approves" (Logo of company, Zoso approval, yadda yadda)

Yesssss, I've done it again. :D

I'll assume the "this post was ridiculous" responses as "This post was genius" :D

the article was written by peter makowski. doesnt his name appar on ross halfin's blog from time to time? if so, who is he and what does he do?

He used to be the editor of 'Sounds' newspaper in the UK. It used to come out weekly on a Wednesday (outside London). Halfin was Sounds photographer. To me anyway, Sounds was always the poor relation of the New Musical Express and the Melody Maker. If you wanted Zeppelin coverage/interview/gossip, the NME and MM were better.

Makowski looks now to be very much part of Jimmy's social circle, along with Ross - nothing wrong with that, JP needs mates. My only concern is that neither of the two betray Jimmy's friendship in the way that Mick Wall did.

When I posted on this site about the guitar case on 9th June, I felt that the price would be out of most ordinary guitar owners' reach. Great product, but it might be one for the wealthy professional.

He used to be the editor of 'Sounds' newspaper in the UK. It used to come out weekly on a Wednesday (outside London). Halfin was Sounds photographer. To me anyway, Sounds was always the poor relation of the New Musical Express and the Melody Maker. If you wanted Zeppelin coverage/interview/gossip, the NME and MM were better.

Makowski looks now to be very much part of Jimmy's social circle, along with Ross - nothing wrong with that, JP needs mates. My only concern is that neither of the two betray Jimmy's friendship in the way that Mick Wall did.

When I posted on this site about the guitar case on 9th June, I felt that the price would be out of most ordinary guitar owners' reach. Great product, but it might be one for the wealthy professional.

thanks for the info. i'm old enough to remember sounds. back in the late 70s and early 80s between my brother and i we'd get 2 or 3 of the big 4 papers (i'm counting record mirror as well). it now makes sense why makowski's name crops up so often in ross' blog

I'd forgotten Record Mirror! Was Disc & Music Echo around then too? I have a feeling it was, as John Peel used to have a column in it.

not sure about disc, but i know i never bought or read music echo so i think that was before my time of 76 to 83 for reading the music rags in a dedicated manner

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly does Page need a signature guitar case for? In addition to pretty much being non-existent onstage for well over a decade, when was the last time he ever had to open, let alone carry an actual guitar case himself. 40 years?

May as well make a guitar case embossed with the names of his roadies on it. They're the ones actually having to use it. At this point, with all of the photo shoots and silly Zep marketing, in the past ten years they've probably handled his Les Paul more than he has! :D

"What exactly does Page need a signature guitar case for? In addition to pretty much being non-existent onstage for well over a decade, when was the last time he ever had to open, let alone carry an actual guitar case himself. 40 years?

May as well make a guitar case embossed with the names of his roadies on it. They're the ones actually having to use it. At this point, with all of the photo shoots and silly Zep marketing, in the past ten years they've probably handled his Les Paul more than he has! "

I would defer to Jimmy's judgment on this one, if he wants a line of cases..........how do you know what jimmy and his helpers do?

I would defer to Jimmy's judgment on this one, if he wants a line of cases..........how do you know what jimmy and his helpers do?

That's the funny thing about the whole licensing game. Page has to make it look like these cases are something special, when they really aren't. It's just a guitar case. Have a look at the Iceland footage from the Zeppelin 2003 DVD and you can see that Page used the same beat up original issue Les Paul case for his #1 all the way through the majority of Zeppelin's live career. In the footage you can even see the roadie taking the case out of the plane's cargo bay. Nothing special about that case. Just a simple beat up flimsy case.

Nobody in their right mind would store a Les Paul of that vintage in one of those regular cases today, even though it would work just fine. No, it has to be some tricked-out high end deal. That's why it's silliness. Again, especially coming from Page, who was already living as rock royalty even all the way back when he was in the Yardbirds, which was likely the last time he actually had to personally lift his own case to and from gigs.

May as well show an ad for a Page-endorsed guitar tuner or guitar cleaning products. Again, two things that Page has probably never used himself in 30-40 years. :D

I heard that when Jimmy is at home, in his castle, he is constantly cleaning his guitars and tuning them up, what the fuck are you talking about, if you played guitar you would realize that just because you have roadies doesn't mean you dont practice everyday, bringing the guitar with you whereever you may go, changing strings wiping down the neck everyday. if you buy a 10,000 dollar guitar it might be wise to get a Jimmy Page case, maybe you just like the logo, Jimmy Page can endorse anything he likes, he can do a money grab, 5,ooo dollar picks, its all cool with me, we are living in a society that does not have aprob with endorsments, the music speaks for itself, he should prob have a clothing line, jimmy page style or zeppelin jeans, they have been selling merch for 40 years, what the fuck is the difference between a poster with the zozo logo and a guitar case with the logo.

I heard that when Jimmy is at home, in his castle, he is constantly cleaning his guitars and tuning them up, what the fuck are you talking about, if you played guitar you would realize that just because you have roadies doesn't mean you dont practice everyday, bringing the guitar with you whereever you may go, changing strings wiping down the neck everyday. if you buy a 10,000 dollar guitar it might be wise to get a Jimmy Page case, maybe you just like the logo, Jimmy Page can endorse anything he likes, he can do a money grab, 5,ooo dollar picks, its all cool with me, we are living in a society that does not have aprob with endorsments, the music speaks for itself, he should prob have a clothing line, jimmy page style or zeppelin jeans, they have been selling merch for 40 years, what the fuck is the difference between a poster with the zozo logo and a guitar case with the logo.

Easy there, tiger :D

For the record, I do play guitar. Not that that makes any difference, since obviously I know just a tad bit more about Page's playing habits in the past 30 years than you do. Jimmy stopped doing soundchecks in 1975 for the most part, and was jumping directly from a plane to a limo to the stage. Which is why his playing in 75 was so shoddy for the most part. Same goes from 77 onward. He had his tech doing all of his tuning for him with a tuner onstage as early as 1972. No more backstage tuneups, string changes, etc. He was a multi-millionaire at that point, and that is one of the perks. And nothing has changed since then. Give a watch to It Might Get Loud. Notice how the Edge has his tech there tuning and cleaning and prepping all of his instruments for every song? Page has been living that life for 40 years. To think that Jimmy actually carries his own case, cleans his guitar up, and tunes and replaces his own strings is nonsense. That's what techs and personal assistants are for. And they have been traveling with him for years. After Bonham died, Page even mentioned in an interview that he had to call his tech to retrieve the Les Paul from storage for him, and that the tech had to give him the bad news that the guitar was temporarily missing. That sort of relationship is like Knight to Squire stuff. Golfer to Caddy. Jimmy doesn't carry his own case, someone else does it for him.

Sure, no problem with him selling the brand. But, that's not what I've been talking about. It's the silliness involved here. And yes, a Zeppelin line of clothes would be hilarious.

Woah are you kidding me? NME HATED Zeppelin and their ilk. Sounds was the predecessor of Kerrang - which I would never buy now, but back then it really had its merits.

what , he doesnt live in a castle?, ,,,rather large house, who knows if he has never tuned a guitar since the yardbirds, i bet he's tuned one alot, we live in a post -modern society where everything is for sale including Jimmy Page, its just that he is able to charge more because he is better, so it might not be silly, is the guitar tech in his home with him 24 hours a day, what if he wakes up in the middle of the night and wants to strumm a few chords, is the tech in the room next door, maybe he doesn't wan't to wake him, so he just might plug into a digital tuner and play all by himself.

Woah are you kidding me? NME HATED Zeppelin and their ilk. Sounds was the predecessor of Kerrang - which I would never buy now, but back then it really had its merits.

Not kidding at all! The NME turned on Zeppelin and their ilk in the late '70's, when NME journalists were taken in by punk. Any musician over the age of 25 was being referred to as 'a boring old fart'. The fact that the journalists writing the pieces were also over 25 seemed to have escaped them. I remember the NME in the early/mid-70's and 'hate' is not a word I would have used regarding their treatment of Zeppelin in those days. I had a lengthy conversation in the 1990's with Nick Kent regarding Zep. He usually interviewed Page and was on The Starship on their '75 US tour. He did not say anything at all disparaging about their music. He described Jimmy Page as 'a lost soul'. The only reservations he expressed to me were about John Bonham (as a person, not musically) and Richard Cole, the latter whom he described as 'a servant'. Nick's a nice bloke - he is going to be at the Edinburgh Book Festival this year discussing his last book about the 70's music scene.

• 4 months later...

Rimowa Germany is working on the final steps for the release of the Jimmy Page-endorsed guitar case, entitled "The Logo Case".

Originally scheduled to be released in August 2010, Rimowa has fallen behind due to production delays. "The Logo Case" will come in two different materials for the outer shell: the classic aluminum, with a luxuriously appointed interior, as well a polycarbonate, which allows for different custom colors.

Rimowa hopes to send out sales information by January 2011 and to deliver the road cases soon after that.

:slapface:

Rimowa Germany is working on the final steps for the release of the Jimmy Page-endorsed guitar case, entitled "The Logo Case".

Originally scheduled to be released in August 2010, Rimowa has fallen behind due to production delays. "The Logo Case" will come in two different materials for the outer shell: the classic aluminum, with a luxuriously appointed interior, as well a polycarbonate, which allows for different custom colors.

Rimowa hopes to send out sales information by January 2011 and to deliver the road cases soon after that.

:slapface:

So, everything Jimmy Page is behind schedule: album, book, guitar case...

• 9 months later...

Archived