Greatest Riff Writer?

MMAharaja

Ah, Jimmy Page.

Page of course. But Keith Richard has to be right up there

I used to have Page and Iommi tied as my favorite. A couple things changed though. First, I learned that a lot of my favorite Zeppelin riffs, like Black Dog, were actually written by JPJ. Second, as I got more into Black Sabbath I realized that each Sabbath album is basically a cornucopia of riffs. Some songs, like A National Acrobat, have about half a dozen great riffs by themselves.

Edited by MMAharaja

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. He made some really cool riffs in their early days.

Iommy sure was a great riff maker too.

I know that Paul Stanley of Kiss does not stand in high regard on this board, but some of Kiss best songs from the early days was structured around really cool riffs made by Stanley. I like him as a rhythm player, he's very underrated.

Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton.

Tony Iommi is indeed a great riff writer. Almost all of the Black Sabbath songs are heavy riff based. Jimmy Page is close second for me. That doesn't mean I don't like his riffs the most, for me nothing beats the riffs of "Whole Lotta Love" or "Kashmir" and others but Tony Iommi wrote many many great riffs. Iommi is definitely riff guitarist the most.

I would also like to add Keith Richards, Dave Davies and Pete Townshend to the list. I'm sure I've missed more of them but that's it.

• 2 years later...

Ritchie Blackmore

Mandrake Root Blacknight Into the Fire Smoke on the Water Lazy Space Truckin Woman From Tokyo Rat Bat Blue Burn Mistreated You Fool No One Stormbringer Man on the Silver Mountain Still Im Sad Stargazer Long Live Rock N Roll Kill the King The Shed All Night Long Power Jealous Lover Perfect Strangers The Battle Rages On

Thats a quite a few

I know that Paul Stanley of Kiss does not stand in high regard on this board, but some of Kiss best songs from the early days was structured around really cool riffs made by Stanley. I like him as a rhythm player, he's very underrated.

Extremely. He's been the most talented guy KISS ever had.

They should give this a blast then!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwPJ0rRq7bI&feature=relmfu

^ That's the one Im thinking of most...the next two albums were good as well. Budgie was an underground group that never quite made it to the top, respectively on the same level as Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. Their recordings were sub-par, (sounds like it could have been mixed better) but the music still comes through. The rawness of it is genuine.Two song's on here "Breadfan", And "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" were covered by Metallica on the Garage Days EP in 1987.

Some fans have been turned on to them, only from hearing the covers first....

I am one of those, but since then I have dabbled into them for quite some time now. I even got lucky enough to find this album on vinyl a few years back. The guy had no clue as to how hard this was to find and sold it to me for $5.00...... :whistling:

I didn't say a word. :mellow:

Edited by Rock Historian

^ That's the one Im thinking of most...the next two albums were good as well. Budgie was an underground group that never quite made it to the top, respectively on the same level as Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. Their recordings were sub-par, (sounds like it could have been mixed better) but the music still comes through. The rawness of it is genuine.Two song's on here "Breadfan", And "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" were covered by Metallica on the Garage Days EP in 1987.

Some fans have been turned on to them, only from hearing the covers first....

I am one of those, but since then I have dabbled into them for quite some time now. I even got lucky enough to find this album on vinyl a few years back. The guy had no clue as to how hard this was to find and sold it to me for $5.00...... :whistling:

I didn't say a word. :mellow:

I love just about everything they did with Bourge, particularly the first, third and fifth albums.

I first heard of them in the mid-eighties when someone was playing them in the PE changing room at school. It wasn't until about 8 years ago when a bloke at work gave me a copy of "The Best of Budgie" that I really got into them though. After that I bought the first 5 albums (Budgie, Squawk, Never Turn Your Back on a Friend, In for the Kill & Bandolier) remastered and then "If I Were Brittania I'd Waive the Rules" when the remaster eventually came along, which I ordered directly from their website, signed by the guys. I don't have any albums after that apart from "We're All Living in Cuckooland" from 2006 and a compilation that has many songs from the albums I'm missing. I will definitely get "Impeckable" next at some point.