Exclusive secret London show with the Band Of Joy!

sam_webmaster

Thanks for the information, Sam!

What an opportunity of a lifetime!

Good Luck to all of our forum members!

I'd make the trip to London for this!

Just another reason for me to join the Facebook craze. I have been resisting so far!

I will have to really consider joining. Still, I don't know?

Also, I love that illlustration that you posted for The Band of Joy!

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Plant Unveils 'Band of Joy' at Secret London Gig

Posted on Sep 2nd 2010 5:00AM by Julian Marszalek

Robert Plant unveiled his new 'Band of Joy' album at a secret gig in the intimate environs of One Mayfair -- a former church -- in London on the evening of Weds, Sept. 1, with a half-hour set that displayed his ongoing love affair with American roots music.

Eschewing the bombast that made his name with Led Zeppelin, Plant tapped into a vein of American music that was entirely befitting of a man of 62 years of age. Joined by the Band of Joy -- singer Patti Griffin, guitarists Buddy Miller and Darrell Scott, bassist Byron House and drummer Marco Giovino -- Plant deftly displayed why a Led Zeppelin reunion. His performance conclusively proved that he remains one of the finest interpreters of other people's material since Johnny Cash shuffled off this mortal coil.

Opening with a menacing cover of Low's 'Monkey' was an audacious move and one that paid off handsomely. Plant's voice coalesced beautifully with Griffin's, and Miller coaxed a series unearthly drones and noises from his guitar.

A joyous reading of Richard Thompson's 'House of Cards' swiftly followed, while Los Lobos' 'Angel Dance' seduced the crowd of several hundred unfamiliar with Plant's new material.

Only time will tell whether 'Band of Joy' eclipses 'Raising Sand' but on tonight's evidence, it'll give it a damn good run.

http://www.spinner.c...ret-london-gig/

It was a great show, as was the one at the Forum tonight. I feel so lucky to have been to both! Thanks, Robert! Loved loved loved Houses of the Holy and Misty Mtn Hop. WLL fab also. All of the new numbers are soooooo good!

So happy you got to see both shows! I bet the "secret" gig was amazing in such an intimate atmosphere. I'm curious how they did WLL - very cool!

I went to both gigs (Thursday at One Mayfair and yesterday at the Forum) and the name Band of Joy couldn't be more perfect.

While Thursday was a very toned down, intimate affair that i will never forget, yesterday was a proper gig with the added elements of Robert's back catalogue, and amazing contributions from the other amazing musicians in the band.

Go and see them, you'll be blown away

ROBERT PLANT & THE BAND OF JOY IN LONDON: “WELCOME TO THE CHURCH’’

Robert Plant & The Band Of JoyOne Mayfair , London September 1st 2010

Set List: Monkey, House Of Cards, Cindy I’’ll Mary You Someday, Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down, Central Two – O- Nine, Harms’ Swift Way, Angel Dance, I Bid You Goodnight.

Robert Plant and The Band Of Joy introduced themselves to a UK audience for the first time with an all inclusive eight song set list drawn mainly from their forthcoming album. This secret gig acted as a showcase launch for the Band Of Joy album in front of an audience of around 250. The location was One Mayfair, just off London’s Oxford Street near Marble Arch – a plush converted church.

Dressed in a dark shirt and blue jeans, Robert immediatly led the band into an intensive delivery of Monkey. From the off, it was apparent how much of a democratic line up this is with Patty Griffin sharing the mournful vocal and Buddy Miller supplying subtle guitar effects.

‘’Welcome to the church…it’s time to be christened in a new way’’ was Robert’s between song patter before they launched into House Of Cards. This had Patty on acoustic guitar and a final verse that accented the drama of Robert ‘s ‘’It goes tumbling tumbling tumbling tumbling down..’’ masteful vocal. Robert drank from a cup before the band struck up the bluesy plaintive blues lament that is Cindy I’ll Marry You Someday. This had some impressive banjo via Darrell Scott and Byron House on double bass.

From one blues spook to another. Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down increased the drama and as Robert hugged the mic I had a brief mental flashback of the younger singer in similar style back at Knebworth Ala Nobody’s Fault But Mine all those years ago . The moment he moved into a higher register as the song reached it’s climax was just awesome. With no messing they were into Central Two-O-Nine with Robert on washboard igniting the action with a ‘’Get This!’’ exclaim. Lot’s of ‘’Ahh Ahh’’ refrains with Patty and he ended his washboard solo with a Bonzo like flourish behind Marco Giovino’s percussion.

‘’Here’s one from Texas and Townes Van Zandt’’ was the intro to the bright and light Harm’s Swift Way. This was a total truimph –Robert’s beaming smile towards the close emphasised the good time warmth this unit conveys. It was also clear evidence of how much the singer is enjoying all this. As somebody near to him said to me recently ‘’It’s the happiest I’ve seen him in ten years’’

The warm good vibes extended into the irresistibly likable Angel Dance. Here Robert allowed himself a couple of time honoured ‘’Ooo yeah’s’’ and a two step dance interaction with Patty that may well have him enlisted as a future Strictly Come Dancing contestant(or not!). Robert wrapped up proceedings with a fond farewell that made reference to Houses of The Holy. The whole band then jelled together for the now customary close I Bid You Goodnight with Robert sharing vocals with Patty, Buddy and the whole band.

‘’Thanks for coming out tonight…we’ll see you tomorrow’’ was his parting words before the strains of Harry J All Stars reggae terrace anthem The Liquidator from the PA indicated that this showcase had come to an end.

Audiences ahead can expect more of the same and a little bit of added heritage from all parts of his expansive catalogue thrown in for good measure. On the evidence of this delightful opening showcase, this particular band will be spreading a considerable amount of joy around as the autumn hue arrives.

As the singer once put it, the future is ahead…bright ahead. And it all starts shining again tonight at the London HMV Forum…

Dave Lewis. September 2nd 2010

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tblweb09/?p=6540

Review in today's Sun newspaper:-

"LEGENDARY LED ZEPPELIN frontman ROBERT PLANT unveiled his new country/blues/rockabilly outfit BAND OF JOY to 300 UK fans in a disused church on Wednesday night - and I was there to soak it up. Frustratingly, everyone was just getting into it after five songs when he called it a day - save for an a cappella I Bid You Goodnight.

The new stuff is a mix of roots music played by expert musicians presided over by Robert, still boasting that mane of curly hair and one of the most versatile voices in the business.

Standout tracks were Monkey and Angel Dance. Guitarist BUDDY MILLER delivered breathtaking Nashville sounds and country singer PATTY GRIFFIN's harmonies were gorgeous.

The songs won't satisfy old Led Zep fans who crave another reunion - but it's proper, quality music. "

The London Evening Standard gives a great review:-

Robert Plant is a king on the country road

4003plantrob1_415x597.jpg Joy by name and a joy by nature: Robert Plant

rick.pearson.gif By Rick Pearson

If only more musicians would grow old like Robert Plant. Acknowledging that heavy rock is best left to the kids­ (regardless of how brilliant that Led Zeppelin reunion was), the 62-year-old has retired the leather trousers, buttoned up the shirt and embraced the more stately environs of country-rock.

His collaboration with Alison Krauss on 2007’s Raising Sands earned him six Grammy Awards and his re-formation of Band of Joy is a similar triumph.

The group, which Plant started with Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham but now includes country singer Patty Griffin and legendary guitarist Buddy Miller, have a self-titled album out later this month and came to the HMV Forum for “our first concert for 43 years in this town”.

Plant still stalks the stage with the microphone stand like a man searching for gold with a metal detector but played a convincing country crooner for this two-hour show of highlights old and new.

A cover of Richard Thompson’s House of Cards was wrapped in warm harmonies from his all-singing band, while All The King’s Horses was decorated with Darrell Scott’s undulating pedal-steel guitar figures. Elsewhere, Plant strapped on a washboard for the knee-slapping rockabilly of Central Two-O-Nine.

Thrilling versions of Gallows Pole and Rock and Roll, however, proved that he could still call on that air-raid siren of a vocal when needed and is choosing the country road by choice rather than necessity.

A joy by name and a joy by nature.

Review from the Financial Times:-

Robert Plant and the Band of Joy, London

By Ludovic Hunter-Tilney

Published: September 5 2010 17:53 | Last updated: September 5 2010 17:53

How many of the great names from rock's late 1960s/early 1970s golden age still have their mojo? How many are still making good music? I can think of only two. One is Bob Dylan. The other is Robert Plant.

The Led Zeppelin frontman is 62; paunchier than in his prime, face creased with lines, but with the same luxuriant tumble of hair. At the Forum he resembled a shaggy mammoth gently swaying to some potent prehistoric groove. Except this wasn't Led Zep's dawn-of-time heavy rock. Instead banjo, pedal steel guitar, double bass and songs about Jesus pointed in an even more venerable direction: to old-fashioned country music and rockabilly.

Plant's last solo LP, Raising Sand, winner of Grammy album of the year in 2009, was a collaboration with bluegrass singer Alison Krauss. His new album, Band of Joy, out next week, continues the Americana theme, with equally rewarding results. It teams him with the Nashville-based country veteran Buddy Miller and country singer Patty Griffin, both of whom joined him on stage at the Forum.Band of Joy was the name of Plant's first band, a psychedelic outfit he formed with John Bonham before both joined Led Zeppelin in 1968. This new incarnation neatly melds Plant's blues-rock past with his interest in the wider world of

US roots music.

The set's two-hour tour of new songs, gospel covers, Plant's solo material and Led Zeppelin numbers wasn't completely smooth. Griffin's vocals were too low in the mix and the chemistry between her and Plant sparked infrequently, as on "Central Two-O-Nine", a Lightnin' Hopkins song rearranged for banjo.

That chemistry will surely come with more time on stage together, for Plant and his Band of Joy otherwise clicked impressively. Miller on guitar brought a roadhouse stomp to the songs, bridging the worlds of hard rock and classic Americana with distorted twangs, swampy blues riffs and no-nonsense solos. Daryl Scott on steel guitar and banjo added country touches as deftly as a landscape painter.

Plant's vocals have grown furry with time, but also warmer. His smile after delivering an "amen" in a rumbling cover of the gospel song "Twelve Gates to the City" suggested ironic distance from the material's religiosity, but he sang with passion and commitment.

Led Zep songs fitted seamlessly in the set. The banjo part in "Gallows Pole" traced connections between English and Appalachian folk, while "Rock and Roll" was transformed into electrifying rockabilly: a rousing conclusion to the set.

Plant's refusal to tour with Led Zeppelin after their one-off 2007 concert frustrated many, but he was right to do so. One of the last still-glowing links with rock's golden age isn't ready for the museum yet. (3d8e8a90-ac5a-11de-a754-00144feabdc0.gif)

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010.

Archived