Sacha Baron Cohen To Play Freddie Mercury

kenog

Source:- www.nme.com

This one is for the Queen fans on the site, who may have an opinion as to whether or not Baron Cohen is the right person for the role.

Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury in biopic

'Borat' star to play Queen frontman

• September 17, 2010

Ali G creator Sacha Baron Cohen is set to play Queen frontman Freddie Mercury in a forthcoming movie, according to the films producers . The as yet untitled film will be written by Peter Morgan, the British scriptwriter who previously penned The Queen and The Last King of Scotland.

No director is currently attached to the project, reports BBC News.

Shooting is set to star in 2011, explained producer Graham King of GK Films, who are partnering on the project with Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal's Tribeca Productions.

Queen manager Jim Beach is also involved, while the project has the cooperation of Mercury's estate and the band's three surviving members, guitarist Brian May, drummer Roger Taylor and bassist, John Deacon.

The film will centre around the moment many believe to be the bands greatest, their performance at the Live Aid concert in 1985.

Isn't he like a foot taller than Freddie though?

Six inches. Freddie wasn't a hobbit!

I dunno, rock bio films are usually so awkward and wrong, need I mention the execrable Doors film. It's strange how filmmakers more often make really good movies about country musicians (Coal Miner's Daughter, Sweet Dreams, Walk the Line) than rock stars. They can't get the tone right, but one would assume they're a lot more familiar with rock music and the musicians' lifestyles.

Anyway, what are they going to do about the singing - can SBC sing? No one has Freddie's range though, imagine an amateur non-singer trying to sing Somebody to Love or Bohemian Rhapsody. If he lip-synchs, that could be painfully awkward too.

This one is for the Queen fans on the site, who may have an opinion as to whether or not Baron Cohen is the right person for the role.

• September 17, 2010

Ali G creator Sacha Baron Cohen is set to play Queen frontman Freddie Mercury in a forthcoming movie, according to the films producers . The as yet untitled film will be written by Peter Morgan, the British scriptwriter who previously penned The Queen and The Last King of Scotland.

Shooting is set to star in 2011, explained producer Graham King of GK Films, who are partnering on the project with Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal's Tribeca Productions.

Queen manager Jim Beach is also involved, while the project has the cooperation of Mercury's estate and the band's three surviving members, guitarist Brian May, drummer Roger Taylor and bassist, John Deacon.

The film will centre around the moment many believe to be the bands greatest, their performance at the Live Aid concert in 1985.

......Freddie Mercury: The Untold Story is the the type of film I agree with...I generally don't believe in hollywood films in this regard...Life cannot be portrayed, but it can be talked about, debated, discussed...

The Untold Story:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272620/

• September 17, 2010

I heard about this, this morning through the queenzone.com newsletter! Sounds very interesting! This is one of those movies which I have to see. I know it is a bit too early to assume anything but I truly hope that this movie gets released in the form of a DVD! Sacha truly has some big shoes to fill in my opinion! I'm really looking forward to its release! :D

• 3 months later...

Footage of which is already available so I can't imagine this film being anything but anti-climactic by comparison...and I loathe SBC.

Anyway, what are they going to do about the singing - can SBC sing? No one has Freddie's range though, imagine an amateur non-singer trying to sing Somebody to Love or Bohemian Rhapsody. If he lip-synchs, that could be painfully awkward too.

Thats true what you say, looks wise he went to a premiere dressed aka Feddie A kind a magic tour 86 and looked the spit of him, but it will be hard to pull off as Freddie was the best frontman wasn't he. I remember watching him at live Aid and you knew they stormed the day then let alone years later when LIve Aid was reappraised.

There was a program on Live Aid over Xmas/new year and Bob said whatever you think of the music Queen stole the show.

Good luck SBC even though I find Borat a tw*t, I do think he will play Fredster well.

Haven't we had enough Queen rammed down our throats over the years?

Sounds like you have a problem with them ? not in my top 3 faves but thye did do enough to be held with some regard.

I'm far from a huge Queen fan myself but if ever something comes on the radio or television that I don't care to see or hear I always have the option of changing the channel.

I get Classic rock magazine every month and you often have letters saying there is to much Zep stuff in the mag, the worshipping the oh God they are the greatest, so i am sure thats from Queen fans lol.

I both agree and disagree with you. "Hit" songs like "Radio Gaga", "Hammer To Fall" and "One Vision" and of course "the ultimate anthem" :rolleyes: "We Will Rock You" (I personally can't stand that song, eventhough I happen to be a Queen fan!) for instance have been played to death on music channels like VH1 and it is "stadium rock" songs such as those which have been shoved down our throats time and time again. I am not too sure about the radio because I barely listen to it.

But the work of Queen made during the period 1973-1976 remains underrated. Queen fans within my own peer group blink when I mention songs like "Lily Of The Valley", "Nevermore", "White Queen : As It Began", "Ogre Battle", "Funny How Love Is", "The Prophet's Song", "The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke", "Liar", "Great King Rat", "In The Lap Of The Gods : Revisited", etc. They have absolutely no idea what the fuck I'm talking about. Ignorance is bliss, I guess?

There is so much more to Queen than just "stadium rock".

There may be a lot more to Queen than "stadium rock" but theirs was the kind of music that was tailor-made for just such a setting. Not many artists' live shows translate well once they graduate to stadium/arena status but Queen is one very notable exception.

Ouch, not good eh ?? did you go and see them with him ??

I didn't see them live, but I heard the new album and saw some footage with him. I know it was billed as Queen + Paul Rodgers, and the band continuously said they were not trying to replace Freddie Mercury. But Paul Rodgers singing Queen songs just didn't fit in any sense, even with the idea of it being something new and an experiment. It's like making a banana split and running out of bananas and replacing it with a tomato. It's technically a fruit, it's on the menu as Banana Split + Tomato, and the waiter says its not a banana split and they're not trying to replace the banana. But would you eat it?

SBC is a capable actor, he has a striking resemblance and I think with enough training he can pull off something comparable to Freddie's voice.

I didn't see them live, but I heard the new album and saw some footage with him. I know it was billed as Queen + Paul Rodgers, and the band continuously said they were not trying to replace Freddie Mercury. But Paul Rodgers singing Queen songs just didn't fit in any sense, even with the idea of it being something new and an experiment. It's like making a banana split and running out of bananas and replacing it with a tomato. It's technically a fruit, it's on the menu as Banana Split + Tomato, and the waiter says its not a banana split and they're not trying to replace the banana. But would you eat it?

SBC is a capable actor, he has a striking resemblance and I think with enough training he can pull off something comparable to Freddie's voice.

Yeh I heard the album and didn't like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sacha Baron Cohen to play Saddam Hussein

By: Associated PressLOS ANGELES (AP) - As if his portrayals of Borat and Bruno weren't outrageous enough, Sacha Baron Cohen's next role will be playing Saddam Hussein.

The British comic will star in and co-write "The Dictator," which is scheduled for release in May 2012, Paramount Pictures said Thursday. Larry Charles, who directed Baron Cohen in "Bruno" and "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan," will direct once again.

"The Dictator" is inspired by a book the former Iraqi leader himself wrote, titled "Zabibah and The King."

Paramount joked in a news release: "The film tells the heroic story of a dictator who risked his life to ensure that democracy would never come to the country he so lovingly oppressed."

• 4 years later...

Sacha Baron Cohen Won’t Star in Freddie Mercury Biopic

It was apparently "a small joke"

UPDATE: It appears we might have gotten excited over nothing—Queen guitarist Brian May posted on his website that the band’s manager Jim Beach was just throwing in “a small joke” when he claimed that Sacha Baron Cohen had officially signed on to the long-delayed project. Cohen’s rep has not returned our request for comment. The initial report is below.

A biopic starring Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury, the dynamic Queen frontman who died in 1991 at the age of 45 due to complications from AIDS, has been in the works for nearly seven years. It was confirmed as happening as early as 2010 and confirmed as not happening as recently as 2013—reportedly due to Cohen “not seeing eye to eye with the remaining members of Queen who have script and director approval.” Apparently the band was interested in a PG-version of the rock star’s life, while Cohen had hopes for a “gritty R-rated tell-all.”

During the project’s long gestational period, Cohen brought in the likes of Peter Morgan to write and David Fincher and Tom Hooper to direct the film, but all were rejected by the band. These differences appear to have been worked out, however, with Queen manager Jim Beach announcing that Cohen will depict the singer, as well as write, direct, and produce the film himself.

At the Artist and Manager Awards held on March 26, Beach used his acceptance speech—for the Peter Grant award for outstanding acheivement—to make the announcement. “You have probably followed the saga of the famous Queen-Freddie Mercury biopic which has been developing in Hollywood for the last seven years. An important breakthrough is that we have now managed to persuade Sacha Baron Cohen to write, produce, and direct this movie, and he has also agreed to star.”

When the film will get underway was not discussed. Cohen’s camp has yet to confirm his involvement.

http://time.com/3762548/sasha-baron-cohen-freddie-mercury-biopic/

This biopic is probably not the greatest of ideas. Initially, I was excited about the prospect of a Freddie Mercury biopic, but hearing about Cohen's intentions to turn it into a sleazy, tell-all biographical film, made me change my mind! Plus, I am a little skeptical about the man's singing abilities. Which even led me to wonder whether there will be any cringe-worthy lip-syncing! Ugh! After all, this was supposed to be a biography about one of the greatest lead singers of all time! Freddie Mercury was no ordinary singer. Pretty big shoes to fill if you ask me and I guess it is best that the project be shelved.

Archived