Obsessed with bootleg collecting?

chef free

I have about 500 audio bootleg concerts and about 100 bootleg videos but "I need more shows". My wife and kids think I'm crazy, "Why do you need a fourth version of 6/21/77?" I bet a few of you are in the same boat (thinking of you Tom Kid, Nutrocker, Mattmc73, etc...) Here's a hillarious video about this very obsession:

I need more shows

I have about 500 audio bootleg concerts and about 100 bootleg videos but "I need more shows". My wife and kids think I'm crazy, "Why do you need a fourth version of 6/21/77?" I bet a few of you are in the same boat (thinking of you Tom Kid, Nutrocker, Mattmc73, etc...) Here's a hillarious video about this very obsession:

I need more shows

My family hasn't said anything yet but I'm not sure they realize how obsessed I am. My daughter did try to impress a guy at school by telling him I had a good collection. I have only catalogued my collection through 1972, that's 272 shows (lots of duplicates). I still have to go through 73, 75, 77 and 80 and the Led Zeppelin Supplemental 14 DVD set.

I need more shows

if you listen to them than i don't see the problem. if you are just collecting them to say to your mates i have x shows than you need to sort it out dude. i had a time early on in my trading days where the postman came weekly and each time i got 20-30 shows. as i obviously also had to make my part of the trade i spend many evenings burning cd's etc....in short i spent a lot of time collecting, very little time listening. after a while i stopped trading and spend my spare time listening...much more enjoyable. when torrenting started it made it even easier to do the earlier, allowing even less time to do the latter for some. So my advice....keep listening, if you are done get some more.....it's all about the music....enjoy

I need more shows

Awesome video by the way, there is one about Zeppelin that I can't seem to find now, I'm sure someone has it and can post again...

I don't have one Zeppelin boot because the first two that I ever saw were so bad.

I do have plenty of Stones boots. So many that any additions have to be very good. I acquire most of them from friends who, after I got a DVD recorder with a hard drive, wanted me to make additional copies of or edit stuff they had.

I have maybe close to 30 GB of Pink Floyd bootlegs on my external hard drive. They're all in mp3 format, but that's because before I got the external hard drive they were all on flash drives and I had to convert them from lossless to make room for them all -- I'd say I have well over 100, maybe 150. I haven't actually counted in a long while. Now, any new ones I find, I keep in lossless since I've got scads of room for them now (500 GB FTW!)

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with collecting them, though. I don't want every single solitary show they've ever done, and I don't collect more than one boot per concert, with a couple exceptions -- May 9th, 1977 in Oakland and the shows they did in Boston on the WYWH tour and the Animals tour. That's it. Other than that, it's one boot per concert. I do have all the shows they ever did in Chicago, since that's my hometown and I figured, why the hell not. I'm actually rather picky about what I'll download -- the quality must be of a certain type and it has to have favorable ratings on the website I live by when it comes to PF boots.

I have maybe 10 or 11 Led Zeppelin boots that I was directed to from people here, that I enjoy and listen to occasionally.

I have 20 Led Zeppelin shows and eight Pink Floyd shows. My band was always intrigued at why I listen to boots and talk about live Zeppelin shows all the time. Fortunately, they love Zeppelin but it wasn't until we watched The Song Remains the Same (under the influence of course :lol:) that they understood my obsession with boots, especially Zeppelin boots. now, they are just as interested as I am and always beg me to listen to boots.

I have about 12 LZ boots and few others, Mostly the later shows so when it comes to a new release I'm not really a newer is better

type fellow , if I have a question then a post in Live forum, someone always helps out:thumbsup:

Happily/sadly depending on your point of view not really a bootleg collector as such.

if you listen to them than i don't see the problem. if you are just collecting them to say to your mates i have x shows than you need to sort it out dude. i had a time early on in my trading days where the postman came weekly and each time i got 20-30 shows. as i obviously also had to make my part of the trade i spend many evenings burning cd's etc....in short i spent a lot of time collecting, very little time listening. after a while i stopped trading and spend my spare time listening...much more enjoyable. when torrenting started it made it even easier to do the earlier, allowing even less time to do the latter for some. So my advice....keep listening, if you are done get some more.....it's all about the music....enjoy

I do, in fact, listen to them all. Some only a few time perhaps but that's how I discover the real jems. I send much more free time listening to bootlegs than anything else. Lots of Zep, Dead, Hendrix, Allmans, Mule. Blues rock like SRV and Johnny Winter, progressive bands like Yes, King Crimson, Rush, etc. Also straight Blues, Albert Collins, Freddie King, RL Burnside, I like Jazz, Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, Bluegrass like Seldom Scene, Jerry Douglas. I like the live expirence so I go for bands that specialize in live performance, bands that play each song differently each time. That's what keeps me collecting, there's just something special about hearing a concert for the first time. But I take your point, I do collect them one at a time or else I tend to judge them against each other.

I have an obnoxious number of bootlegs - 7,000+ Why? I don't know, perhaps I have too much free time and my internet speeds are excellent. I collect all Zep related stuff, and I haven't gotten myself to get rid of inferior sources of some shows. Do I really need 21 audio versions of the O2 reunion?? LOL

Rush, The Who, Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, and Black Sabbath are the other artists I collect heavily. I do have a bootleg forum, which probably is part of the reason I have so many. ;)

The woman thinks I am nuts and gets pissed because all my torrenting interferes with her gaming. Oh well!

I have a lot of unofficial live recordings but very few are Zeppelin. I would like to hear more but I'm not going to give bootleggers any of my money for them.

Trying to pm but your full. Notice I did not say ...of it :lol:

I have an obnoxious number of bootlegs - 7,000+ Why? I don't know, perhaps I have too much free time and my internet speeds are excellent. I collect all Zep related stuff, and I haven't gotten myself to get rid of inferior sources of some shows. Do I really need 21 audio versions of the O2 reunion?? LOL

Rush, The Who, Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, and Black Sabbath are the other artists I collect heavily. I do have a bootleg forum, which probably is part of the reason I have so many. ;)

The woman thinks I am nuts and gets pissed because all my torrenting interferes with her gaming. Oh well!

Better that they are in the hands of people like yourself who are willing to share / trade. Afterall, the music is the reason most of us are here and it's the one thing that can't die. It just keeps getting more important that it all get's out there so people can appreciate just how good the four lad's really where.... LIVE !

It's a fine line between being obessed and inerested....especially concerning bootlegs. I burned over a thousand shows in less than a year and a half. Since that time I've done 3 artist studies....Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young. My definition of a study is listening to every bootleg in chronological order....throwing in studio work as it appears...and any relevant book or magazine article. Honestly, I can't think of any other artists except those three that would motivate me to do the same. It's one thing to be a collector over many years. Of course you would listen to the shows as you bought or acquired them.....but when pandoras's box of over 200 Zeppelin shows suddenly appears at your fingertips after being a fan for over 30 years....What the hell else are you gonna do except listen in chronological order ? My God what I would have paid to have Montreux '70 Intimidator at 16 in 1976 ! A couple of months of paper route money I tell ya' !!

It's a fine line between being obessed and inerested....especially concerning bootlegs. I burned over a thousand shows in less than a year and a half. Since that time I've done 3 artist studies....Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young. My definition of a study is listening to every bootleg in chronological order....throwing in studio work as it appears...and any relevant book or magazine article. Honestly, I can't think of any other artists except those three that would motivate me to do the same. It's one thing to be a collector over many years. Of course you would listen to the shows as you bought or acquired them.....but when pandoras's box of over 200 Zeppelin shows suddenly appears at your fingertips after being a fan for over 30 years....What the hell else are you gonna do except listen in chronological order ? My God what I would have paid to have Montreux '70 Intimidator at 16 in 1976 ! A couple of months of paper route money I tell ya' !!

That "artist study" thing sounds great! I'd like to do that for Hendrix (it would be short!), Zappa and the Grateful Dead (almost 3000 shows!). Anyways the maddness continues: a "friend" just dropped off a hard drive with 287 gigabites of FLACs on it!

Archived