The Mothership, what changes?

UWICLedZeppelin

The Mothership was released in 2008 and what a compilation of Zep classics, a journey of musical craftmanship which we all love im sure. The question is their any songs you wish were on the album and which were not?

For me disk 1 is real Led Zeppelin the stuff I love, the jealousy is also wihtin my heart on the whole CD. I wish I was in my 20's in the early-mid 70's not only were the band at their peak but so were the songs Stairway to heaven, black dog, whole lotta love and of course kashmir being my personal favourite. Disk 2 I like but for a different reason but its not really what I clasify as pure Zep it doesnt contain the blues riff or sexy funky overtones that make the body and mind become Plant just for a moment; you know what I mean?

The question as the Theorist Williams would say in all sweetness and light is what would you change about the album?

I would add "Hey Hey what can I do", "How Many More times", Friends", "What is and what should never be", "Wanton Song". For good measure,

No Quarter, Stairway and TSRTS should be replaced by the live soundtrack TSRTS (old version), The Ocean (TSRTS new version), "Trampled" replaced by the Earl's Court liveDVD , Communication also better a live version (RAH, ...), just like Nobody's Fault but mine (Knebworth)

off with

D'Yer M'aker, Babe I'm gonna leave you

I don't care about R'nR of Dazed and All my Love..but i'm perfectly aware these classics hold a special place in the hearts of 'a whole lotta' zepheads

now wthat could be my private motherf*** travel compilation B)

The question as the Theorist Williams would say in all sweetness and light is what would you change about the album?

I just put the entire catalog (transferred them to an external hard drive, so I have them all for travelling and anytime I need/want to hear anything, I can). I have since nicknamed my external hard drive, the Mothership. :)

R B)

I would consider adding Hey Hey What Can I Do, The Ocean, Tangerine, Going To California, What Is And What Should Never Be, The Rover, Ten Years Gone, and Fool In The Rain. Obviously I can't include all of the great missing songs, but I think these songs are good enough and well known enough to deserve a spot. Also, the acoustic tracks add a bit more variety to the collection. As far as songs I'd remove, the only one I'd consider would be Ramble On. I've always thought this was an overrated song. It's good, but nowhere near as great as a lot of other Zeppelin tracks in my opinion.

(D'Yer M'aker) have to admit with this song Ive always thought it was a really bad song, some people might respect it but personally feel its Zep trying to be soomething they are not, so Im going to agree it should not have been included.

The quote was by Raymond Williams an anthropologist but no idea why I added this, seems quite silly now.

Have to admit as well Live recordings always add a special something to an album, that close your eyes and place your self within the crowd type of feeling! Have a few albums by Jeff Buckley which are live recordings, another genius which I will never experience live; makes me appreciate the craftmanship even more.

Mothership in a sense had to offer 2 CD's partly due to the range of style that Led Zeppelin offered throughout their approx 20 years together and partly their ideologies of always wanting to try something new perhaps with (personal opinion) negative effects. i.e 'D'yer Maker'. On the other hand some fans may well have close knit ties to songs which aren't great but have dscovered the real Zep through them, a kind of gateway to the promised land.

Mothership exclusion of tangerine puzzled me why did a song that has been argued to be a real sense of Zep history fail to make the cut? Was their band involvement or issues with finding the right place to fit the song in, due to the phonological aesthetics? Either way Mothership is a sign that no matter how many years it's been since the dis-banding and untimely death of JB, there will always be a place for digital versions and re-releases of Zep recordings to come out. We as fans must remember that in 2008 we also had the re-release of 'TSRTS' and both did exceedingly well within the UK, elsewhere im not sure about.

Im 24 and im passionate about LZ a band in which I will never see live, that really does in a sense hurt! I originally signed up at first due to my University essay on LZ fans but now this forum is like a further extension, connection and identity of LZ.

Well, to be honest, "Mothership" was my first ummm...Zep album :blush: And I know some silly fools who have made the following absurd statement : "If You've listened to Mothership very very carefully, it's like exploring the entire Led Zeppelin catalogue. After listening to it, you'll feel as if you know all of their songs at the back of your hand". dry.gif There is so much more to Zep than a compilation album like "Mothership"! It is for this reason that I think bands should (if possible) refrain from making a "greatest hits" album. It sort of makes potential fans way too lazy to explore the entire catalogue! :rolleyes:

Well, to be honest, "Mothership" was my first ummm...Zep album :blush: And I know some silly fools who have made the following absurd statement : "If You've listened to Mothership very very carefully, it's like exploring the entire Led Zeppelin catalogue. After listening to it, you'll feel as if you know all of their songs at the back of your hand". dry.gif There is so much more to Zep than a compilation album like "Mothership"! It is for this reason that I think bands should (if possible) refrain from making a "greatest hits" album. It sort of makes potential fans way too lazy to explore the entire catalogue! :rolleyes:

Hi Kiwi,

Its the Greed of Capitalism that has taken over the Music Industry, maybe it was always like that who knows?

£95squillion in the bank and its still not enough, a Band that once shunned the Limelight now sells it Music like a Pop Band, who knows RP or JP might even end up as judges on Xfactor. :o

I brought every album as it came out, I single handedly made all my friends do the same, I made Led Zeppelin a force to be reckoned with wherever I went, and what thanks did I get from the Band? A Compilation Album? Never again, not from this Fanatic anyway, no wonder Bootlegs are so much in demand these days, every Bootleg Album is as different as you can get, its not the same old tracks being churned out again and again, didn't I hear RP saying that about "Those Pictures" during an interview in TSRTS? funny how it comes back to haunt you isn't it? ;)

But enough of my rant, its all about Money, Integrity has died a death, its all "HYPERDOSH"

Regards, Danny

£€d Z€PP€£IN

MOTH H€R $HIP

OR

TH€ $ONG R€MAIN$ TH€ $HAM€

Hi Kiwi,

Its the Greed of Capitalism that has taken over the Music Industry, maybe it was always like that who knows?

£95squillion in the bank and its still not enough, a Band that once shunned the Limelight now sells it Music like a Pop Band, who knows RP or JP might even end up as judges on Xfactor. :o

I brought every album as it came out, I single handedly made all my friends do the same, I made Led Zeppelin a force to be reckoned with wherever I went, and what thanks did I get from the Band? A Compilation Album? Never again, not from this Fanatic anyway, no wonder Bootlegs are so much in demand these days, every Bootleg Album is as different as you can get, its not the same old tracks being churned out again and again, didn't I hear RP saying that about "Those Pictures" during an interview in TSRTS? funny how it comes back to haunt you isn't it? ;)

But enough of my rant, its all about Money, Integrity has died a death, its all "HYPERDOSH"

Regards, Danny

£€d Z€PP€£IN

MOTH H€R $HIP

OR

TH€ $ONG R€MAIN$ TH€ $HAM€

I couldn't agree more Danny! And bands like Queen are going one step ahead of Zep by releasing so many "greatest hits" nonsense (their latest being "Absolute Greatest" :rolleyes: ) and Brian May and Roger Taylor have made quite a few appearances on reality shows like American Idol! I guess Robert and Jimmy will soon follow their lead! :o Anyway, at least Zep has released just 2 "greatest" hits albums and not 6 like some bands! :rolleyes: Talk about a major recycling process, which is pretty much releasing the same old stuff over and over! I guess people are getting quite tired of this and are trying to get their hands on the bootlegs instead! Like a "yank" once said : "It's all about the money, honey!" :lol:

I couldn't agree more Danny! And bands like Queen are going one step ahead of Zep by releasing so many "greatest hits" nonsense (their latest being "Absolute Greatest" :rolleyes: ) and Brian May and Roger Taylor have made quite a few appearances on reality shows like American Idol! I guess Robert and Jimmy will soon follow their lead! :o Anyway, at least Zep has released just 2 "greatest" hits albums and not 6 like some bands! :rolleyes: Talk about a major recycling process, which is pretty much releasing the same old stuff over and over! I guess people are getting quite tired of this and are trying to get their hands on the bootlegs instead! Like a "yank" once said : "It's all about the money, honey!" :lol:

Hi Kiwi,

I only liked Queen when Freddie left them, apart from 7 Seas (Cod Liver Oil?) I didn't think much of their pedantic drivel and poncing around all the time, although when they dressed up in women's clothing for the Video of "I want to break free" well I nearly "want(ed) to break wind" I thought that tongue in cheek (not in you wildest dreams Freddie me ole son are you putting that in my norf and sarf) Video finally gave them credibility as "Comic Rock's Epitome Band" also known in the Industry as "CREB" :wtf:

I'm off for me dinner now, sees ya later me ole Kiwi Fruit. :beer:

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Kiwi,

I only liked Queen when Freddie left them, apart from 7 Seas (Cod Liver Oil?) I didn't think much of their pedantic drivel and poncing around all the time, although when they dressed up in women's clothing for the Video of "I want to break free" well I nearly "want(ed) to break wind" I thought that tongue in cheek (not in you wildest dreams Freddie me ole son are you putting that in my norf and sarf) Video finally gave them credibility as "Comic Rock's Epitome Band" also known in the Industry as "CREB" :wtf:

I'm off for me dinner now, sees ya later me ole Kiwi Fruit. :beer:

Kind Regards, Danny

LOL! Yeah! Queen did become quite a joke with "I Want To Break Free". In fact, my dad said (after viewing that vid for the first time) : "I Want To Break Freddie's Neck" :o. I too lost a bit of the immense respect I had for Queen after that vid! I didn't find it offensive or anything, in fact, I found it quite hilarious but quite hard to take their music seriously after that (but my respect for them re-surfaced after the release of "Innuendo" :wub:)! I do umm...love their 70's stuff though! :blush:

It was really nice chatting with you Danny! :friends:

Hope we can do this more often! :gimmefive:

Cheers! And enjoy your dinner and have a good night! :D

Kiwi.

LOL! Yeah! Queen did become quite a joke with "I Want To Break Free". In fact, my dad said (after viewing that vid for the first time) : "I Want To Break Freddie's Neck" :o. I too lost a bit of the immense respect I had for Queen after that vid! I didn't find it offensive or anything, in fact, I found it quite hilarious but quite hard to take their music seriously after that (but my respect for them re-surfaced after the release of "Innuendo" :wub:)! I do umm...love their 70's stuff though! :blush:

It was really nice chatting with you Danny! :friends:

Hope we can do this more often! :gimmefive:

Cheers! And enjoy your dinner and have a good night! :D

Kiwi.

Hi Kiwi, it was and we can, Heinze Beans on Toast, 6 slices, oh how the rich and imfamous live hey? :lol: And I did, I always do on here. :yesnod:

Seriously, Queen are the most Un-serious Rock Band ever, in my honest opinion, and a dam fine giggle at the same time, without Freddie they could have been a Fine Serious Rock Band, but then they wouldn't have been Queen would they? ;)

Back on Topic, was "Nobodys fault but mine" a track on Mothership? because if I had brought it thats the question or statement i would now be asking or quoting to myself. :rolleyes:

Regards, Danny

I never bought Mothership. I was introduced to Zeppelin in 1990 with the Remasters album. Listening to that made me go out and buy all the individual albums. If I hadn't heard that I may never had got into Zeppelin (what a horrible thought! :o ).

The one song that should have been included on Mothership and wasn't is The Rain Song - a well-crafted masterpiece of a song and they leave it off the album! What were they thinking?:huh:

Danny's right though, any true Zep head shouldn't been seen with Mothership. My brother likes Zeppelin (not as much as me I might add) and wears a Mothership t.shirt! :lol:

PS. I do like Queen, but I don't take them that seriously. I don't believe they ever thought they were a serious rock band, they were in awe of Zep afterall.

Hi Kiwi, it was and we can, Heinze Beans on Toast, 6 slices, oh how the rich and imfamous live hey? :lol: And I did, I always do on here. :yesnod:

Seriously, Queen are the most Un-serious Rock Band ever, in my honest opinion, and a dam fine giggle at the same time, without Freddie they could have been a Fine Serious Rock Band, but then they wouldn't have been Queen would they? ;)

Back on Topic, was "Nobodys fault but mine" a track on Mothership? because if I had brought it thats the question or statement i would now be asking or quoting to myself. :rolleyes:

Regards, Danny

Ooh! Heinze beans on toast sounds yummy! I had tomato soup and 2 slices of toast for lunch today! :D

Yep! Queen was definitely one of the campiest acts out there but you can't deny the fact that they were exceptionally good at combining opera and rock 'n' roll! They were I guess one of the pioneers of "progressive rock". But Pink Floyd will ALWAYS BE the ultimate pioneer of that genre (happy now Reggie?! :P ) (BTW, to me, the music of Yes sounds quite boring!) (No idea why my dad is so into them! :rolleyes: ) Listening to albums by Queen is pretty much like going to a Pantomine and a rock concert at the same time! :D

Anyway, back to the topic (lately half my posts seem to be off topic! Yikes!! :huh: ) :

I cannot believe Zep actually left out gems like "Out On The Tiles", "In My Time of Dying", "In The Light" and "The Rover" from "Mothership". It just doesn't make any sense to me!! :blink:

So far it seems:

Anyone who bought Mothership is uncool or stupid, I did and damn glad of it? :blink:

What about The Early Days and Latter Days enhanced CD's, has anyone else purchased them or would they be dumb arses too? :huh:

Queen were the pioneers of Prog Rock, so where does that leave Pink Floyd and Yes? :slapface:

Everyone except for a few "elitist" members of The Mutual Admiration Society (you know who you are and I can't wait for your responses, couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery!, bring it on), don't "get it" or have a sense of humour!? :P

I'm sorry did I go off topic, now that's something new around here? :rolleyes:

Songs that could've been added are TRS and SIBLY. B)

Hi,

I would have added Tangerine, What is and What Should Never Be and maybe some live versions, although I guess they covered that with the 3 disc version I have which includes several tracks from the DVD (and which bizarrely when I bought it online was selling for less than the 2 disc version, I think I paid £5.99 for it). Difficult to know what to have left off except D'Yer Maker which I like but isn't essential Zep.

Comments about owning this is uncool are pretty stupid, as I was listening to this while some of you were in nappies (or probably before some of you were even born), you spend your money on what you want and I will spend mine as I please if that's alright. But hey you are entitled to an opinion.

Still wish they would release some more live stuff, but I guess the quality of some of the bootlegs is great anyway so there probably won't be much of an improvement sound quality wise.

To the original poster, I was lucky enough to be in my late teens in the mid seventies and managed to see them 4 times and yes they were awesome especially the 2 Earls Court gigs I saw.

Andy

Andy, with all due respect, it is thanks to albums like "Mothership" and albums like "The Best of Led Zeppelin" that so many of my mates are so mis-informed about Led Zeppelin. Yes, I do agree that "Mothership" is one hell of an awesome compilation album. In fact, in spite of the fact that technically "Black Dog" was my first song at the age 12, I really "got" into Zep only at the age 13 (almost 10 years ago, mind you) (thanks to the other compilation album "The Best of Led Zeppelin : Early and Later Days"). I know so many people at my Uni who think that they know the Zep catalogue inside out by listening to a mere compilation CD! When I tried to get them to listen to the studio albums, they said that one compilation CD is quite enough because it pretty much "summarises" the entire catalogue! Sounds pretty ridiculous to me! :rolleyes: And quite frankly, it's their fuckin' loss! :rolleyes: All I am trying to say is that I know so many who have got side-tracked by these compilation CDs and just listen to it once or twice a year, get tired of it and then just forget about Zep and "move on" to other stuff! In fact, my dad thought that I'll pretty much do the same thing after listening to Early Days and Later Days, but he was so damn wrong! B)

I know so many people at my Uni who think that they know the Zep catalogue inside out by listening to a mere compilation CD! When I tried to get them to listen to the studio albums, they said that one compilation CD is quite enough because it pretty much "summarises" the entire catalogue! Sounds pretty ridiculous to me!

So there's not a single band where you only have a compilation, best of, cd that "summarizes" their catalog in your mind?  I don't know anyone who doesn't have a "Best of" cd that doesn't provide enough music from that particular band.  Do you have all the cd's of everyone you listen to?  Led Zeppelin are no different from any other band in that regard, some people find a compilation is all they need.

So there's not a single band where you only have a compilation, best of, cd that "summarizes" their catalog in your mind? I don't know anyone who doesn't have a "Best of" cd that doesn't provide enough music from that particular band. Do you have all the cd's of everyone you listen to? Led Zeppelin are no different from any other band in that regard, some people find a compilation is all they need.

Yep...as a matter of fact I do! I listen to (as far as Classic Rock is concerned) bands like Queen, Deep Purple, Cream, The Rolling Stones, etc. Believe me mate, I would have been a very very very unhappy girl if I had been idiotic enough to have just stuck to listening to "Deepest Purple", "40 Licks" or "The Very Best of Cream". Take Queen for example. I consider their albums "II" and "I" to be their greatest work. But I have hardly come across any songs from these underrated gems in their so-called greatest hits compilations! And take "The Stones" as another example. Ever heard of "Exile On Main Street"? Their finest work yet in my opinion but just 2 fuckin' songs from that gem of an album on 40 licks compilation CD and that too no beauties like "Rip This Joint"! Sorry! But I ain't wowed by greatest hits compilations. It is a good place to start for all new fans but in my opinion, it is indeed sensible to take it from there and begin exploring the entire catalogue if you claim to "like" that particular band! Now, if my view points do not make sense to you, that is just too bad!

Yep...as a matter of fact I do! I listen to (as far as Classic Rock is concerned) bands like Queen, Deep Purple, Cream, The Rolling Stones, etc. Believe me mate, I would have been a very very very unhappy girl if I had been idiotic enough to have just stuck to listening to "Deepest Purple", "40 Licks" or "The Very Best of Cream". Take Queen for example. I consider their albums "II" and "I" to be their greatest work. But I have hardly come across any songs from these underrated gems in their so-called greatest hits compilations! And take "The Stones" as another example. Ever heard of "Exile On Main Street"? Their finest work yet in my opinion but just 2 fuckin' songs from that gem of an album on 40 licks compilation CD and that too no beauties like "Rip This Joint"! Sorry! But I ain't wowed by greatest hits compilations. It is a good place to start for all new fans but in my opinion, it is indeed sensible to take it from there and begin exploring the entire catalogue if you claim to "like" that particular band! Now, if my view points do not make sense to you, that is just too bad!

I agree. I don't totally disagree with the idea of 'Best of', 'Greatest Hits' etc. albums because they introduce people to that particular band and their music. However, some people are just content with the greatest hits (the songs you've heard a million times.) The Stones as you have already pointed out are a fine example. I consider 'Start Me Up' a terrible song, but everyone knows it because of greatest hits compilations. The people who just know songs like 'Start Me Up' 'Paint it Black' etc. do not know what they're missing, I could spend ages listing Stones songs that are far better than those two examples.

I must say that mothership did tick me off a little bit, I didn't bother buying it myself but Dad did. Not sure why as he already owns remasters. There wasn't anything new added to it, all the dvd is is a condensed version of the 2003 release. Which could have contained a lot more material if Jimmy wasn't such a perfectionist in regards to his representation of his own live playing. But that's a topic for another thread.

Hi,

Problem is with the groups like the Stones after about the mid seventies their output was in my opinion very inconsistent, they peaked in eh early seventies and although I saw them live a couple of times (Earls Court and Knebworth) and I enjoyed the gigs they pale compared to the earlier tours especially 70-73. Compilations are a good way to get into a band, but with a band like the Stones the best ones are probably from the seventies.

Zep didn't have the huge catalogue the Stones do and you could probably argue that the 2 original remaster box sets are their greatest hits.

I just wish they would release more live stuff officially but guess there isn't much (if anything) that hasn't been bootlegged , but there must still be some soundboars lying around that might upgrade what we already have.

Andy

Hi,

Problem is with the groups like the Stones after about the mid seventies their output was in my opinion very inconsistent, they peaked in eh early seventies and although I saw them live a couple of times (Earls Court and Knebworth) and I enjoyed the gigs they pale compared to the earlier tours especially 70-73. Compilations are a good way to get into a band, but with a band like the Stones the best ones are probably from the seventies.

Zep didn't have the huge catalogue the Stones do and you could probably argue that the 2 original remaster box sets are their greatest hits.

I just wish they would release more live stuff officially but guess there isn't much (if anything) that hasn't been bootlegged , but there must still be some soundboars lying around that might upgrade what we already have.

Andy

People have speculated that it might be Jimmy himself leaking the soundboards. But if it was him why would he be leaking shows like 28/5/77?

But Pink Floyd will ALWAYS BE the ultimate pioneer of that genre (happy now Reggie?! :P ) (BTW, to me, the music of Yes sounds quite boring!) (No idea why my dad is so into them! :rolleyes: )

I'm always happy.

Got a kick arse band playing regularly and I'm writing again with an aim to record in the near future, so yeah it's all good.

Obviously your dad has good taste.

Jimmy Page didn't think Yes were boring after all he joined up with former Yes members Chris Squire, Bass and Keyboards and Alan White Drums to form XYZ (Ex Yes & Zeppelin) for a short time in 1981.

Jimmy wanted Robert to join but after one rehearsal Plant apparently lost interest in the project rumoured to be because of the complexity of the music.

There are rumours that recordings of the rehearsals are out there somewhere but aren't easily found if they are.

In 1984 Jimmy joined Yes on stage in Dortmund Germany.

One song that should've been included is off Coda, Poor Tom, for Bonzo.

I have to agree compilations CDs are a bit pointless to me personally, especially when it comes to big bands like Zeppelin, the Stones and the Beatles. So much of their best work is left off these CDs. They're great if you want to get into a band and you're not sure whether their music is for you. For example, I started my Zeppelin experience with Remasters. They're also good for putting on in the car when you're not fully paying attention to the music. I prefer to listen to complete albums. Of course, they'll always be a market for compilation albums that's why so many bands release so many of them, but they're not really for me. That's just my opinion.

Archived