Dissapointment....

carmine53

I was just about to buy front row tickets to see Plant's new band in Toronto, A guy wanted 800.00 for three. Just out of curiosity... I watched some footage from Setlist.com and let me just say... Out of respect...I can't go now. I wanted to take my 12 yr old son but I won't do it! I don't want him to see Plant in that light. He plays 5 -6 Zep tunes and then turns them into slow Country. If I took my son, the kings of rock &roll, the Legend, the Mystique that is Led Zeppelin would be shattered! I saw him the last time out before Krauss. He toured with the who... and he rocked! I was in Awe!

Anyway, if you get a chance take a look at setlist and tell me what you think. i know it's not Led Zep but WTF! There should be a law...you can't water down LED ZEPPELIN! PERIOD!!!

I was just about to buy front row tickets to see Plant's new band in Toronto, A guy wanted 800.00 for three. Just out of curiosity... I watched some footage from Setlist.com and let me just say... Out of respect...I can't go now. I wanted to take my 12 yr old son but I won't do it! I don't want him to see Plant in that light. He plays 5 -6 Zep tunes and then turns them into slow Country. If I took my son, the kings of rock &roll, the Legend, the Mystique that is Led Zeppelin would be shattered! I saw him the last time out before Krauss. He toured with the who... and he rocked! I was in Awe!

Anyway, if you get a chance take a look at setlist and tell me what you think. i know it's not Led Zep but WTF! There should be a law...you can't water down LED ZEPPELIN! PERIOD!!!

So, you saw him with Alison Krauss but won't take him to this show? Surely you know this is a Plant solo show, not a Zeppelin concert.

I saw him solo without krauss. 4-5 years ago when he opened for the who. Came out and rocked the place with Celebration day! If your going to try something new Leave Led Zeppelin out of it... unless your going to play it the way it was meant to be played! hard, fast and like it was the last song you were ever going to sing!

So, you saw him with Alison Krauss but won't take him to this show? Surely you know this is a Plant solo show, not a Zeppelin concert.

I saw him solo without krauss. 4-5 years ago when he opened for the who. Came out and rocked the place with Celebration day! If your going to try something new Leave Led Zeppelin out of it... unless your going to play it the way it was meant to be played! hard, fast and like it was the last song you were ever going to sing!

He was in Zeppelin so he can play any song in any manner he wants to, just like Led Zeppelin themselves used to do. They never played a song the same way twice (or even once) so why should Plant? As for your dissatisfaction with Plant's current musical direction, what do you make of John Paul Jones' work with Sara Watkins (Nickel Creek), Uncle Earl, the Duhks, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, etc.? By the same token what's your take on Jimmy Page learning to play guitar by listening to the likes of James Burton?

Yeah, I know . but this was bad. youtube Rock&Roll off their tour and let me know. you may like it and I would understand. I guess i just want my son to see the greatest front man to get nasty with some heavy Zep!! Is that wrong? I know he can still do it! and just because jones is playing with watkins and page is doing his own thing thats fine,I understand... you have to change and move on But in my opinion...when i watched the video you can tell his heart wasn't it.. It was like he was being forced to do it. i couldn't even watch the whole thing I turned it off half way. I feel like shit saying this... but, I felt sorry for him.

He was in Zeppelin so he can play any song in any manner he wants to, just like Led Zeppelin themselves used to do. They never played a song the same way twice (or even once) so why should Plant? As for your dissatisfaction with Plant's current musical direction, what do you make of John Paul Jones' work with Sara Watkins (Nickel Creek), Uncle Earl, the Duhks, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, etc.? By the same token what's your take on Jimmy Page learning to play guitar by listening to the likes of James Burton?

Yeah, I know . but this was bad. youtube Rock&Roll off their tour and let me know. you may like it and I would understand. I guess i just want my son to see the greatest front man to get nasty with some heavy Zep!! Is that wrong? I know he can still do it! and just because jones is playing with watkins and page is doing his own thing thats fine,I understand... you have to change and move on But in my opinion...when i watched the video you can tell his heart wasn't it.. It was like he was being forced to do it. i couldn't even watch the whole thing I turned it off half way. I feel like shit saying this... but, I felt sorry for him.

Sounds like you're the one with the issues, not Robert Plant.

Well I saw this recent tour and he is in no way being forced to do anything. He CHOSE this musical path and he's happy as a pig in shit on stage.

I guess i just want my son to see the greatest front man to get nasty with some heavy Zep!! Is that wrong?

Perhaps you should pop in the DVD. That's probably the only way you're going to be able to watch Robert "get nasty with some heavy Zep" with your son. B)

Again, it is simply a matter of opinion. I saw the BOJ show in July and LOVED it. Like Nine said...he appeared to be enjoying himself immensely. It was fantastic! In fact, I loved the show so much, I'm traveling to Atlanta for the February show next year and CANNOT wait!

Robert can sing whatever he likes however he likes. It is his choice. It's the listeners choice to buy or go to the shows and if its not your cup of tea, well, so be it. IMHO, a true fan would be happy for the progression of their career throughout the years even if it may not be the path of what you expected. I would happily go see Robert as I like what he is doing now. JPJ, not so much. Too hard for me, but I am happy that he is still rocking and enjoying it. But I don't sit around moaning in dissappointment about how I don't like it.

The whole point about Led Zeppelin to begin with was about pleasing themselves and doing what they wanted to do. If people loved it great, if they didn't then ah well. That's why they went from LZ II to LZ III.

Robert Plant shouldn't do what others tell him to do. He should do what he wants to do. Thankfully that's the way he HAS been carrying himself these last few decades and good on him for it. :)

The whole point about Led Zeppelin to begin with was about pleasing themselves and doing what they wanted to do. If people loved it great, if they didn't then ah well. That's why they went from LZ II to LZ III.

Robert Plant shouldn't do what others tell him to do. He should do what he wants to do. Thankfully that's the way he HAS been carrying himself these last few decades and good on him for it. :)

Absolutely! Further to that, Zep was also about experimenting and not doing the same thing over and over. Robert is just carrying that on.

I remember being disappointed when ITTOD came out.

I was about 19 or 20, and I was imagining some kid of Presence version 2.0 to be released.

It was a huge shock, and I locked onto a few of the tracks that I felt were most representative of the LZ I knew and loved.

But over the years, and especially now, looking at their original 8 album studio canon, their progressive nature is much more obvious, and I can appreciate ITTOD way more now.

I watched the Band of Joy vids, and they were certainly interesting, if not what I might be hoping for.

Nobody's Fault But Mine was pretty cool, almost spooky.

Overall, I wouldn't nor couldn't pay that much to see RP and Band of Joy.

My greatest fear is that somehow they actually DO get together for a reunion and the tickets will be so astronomically priced that I wouldn't be able to afford to buy them. Because I have made kind of a personal oath that if there ever WAS a reunion tour, I would do whatever was necessary to go and take my 16 year old son.

Hi Carmine53, I have to agree with you as far as the LZ songs go. I'm a Zeppelin purest and I want to hear their songs full on heavy. Saw Plant over the summer and enjoyed seeing him perform and I do like his "new" stuff. I love a lot of the songs he did with Allison Krauss and I don't mind him doing country. At this point in his life, that's fine, in fact, it's sort of sexy, but as far as Zep songs go, I don't like them watered down.

If you want to bring your son to a concert that will give him the full on Zeppelin sound, you should have caught Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience. If he does a second leg to this tour and comes even remotely close to your area, go! By all means go! Bring your son and rock out, you will not be disappointed!

The person that started this thread has made 3 posts, all of which appear in this thread. So, it's another case of someone joining the board just to make the usual complaints concerning Plant. Sound familiar?

I like that post dude. Seems like we got another zeppelin fan who really isn't a zeppelin wouldn't you say? I mean if you know and understand led zeppelin, then you wouldnt have a problem with musical evolution...I love musical evolution. The idea that whole lotta love sounds completely different on each tour is one of the reasons why they are the greatest simply put. They never made the same record twice nor did they make the same song twice. This brings me to the problem with fans saying their band is "selling out" which is absolutely ridiculous. If bands actually made the same album over and over they would quit very early on with a case of extreme boredom.

I like that post dude. Seems like we got another zeppelin fan who really isn't a zeppelin wouldn't you say? I mean if you know and understand led zeppelin, then you wouldnt have a problem with musical evolution...I love musical evolution. The idea that whole lotta love sounds completely different on each tour is one of the reasons why they are the greatest simply put. They never made the same record twice nor did they make the same song twice. This brings me to the problem with fans saying their band is "selling out" which is absolutely ridiculous. If bands actually made the same album over and over they would quit very early on with a case of extreme boredom.

One can be a fan of Led Zeppelin without being a fan of Plant, Page or Jones' solo work but this seems more like the case of a troll and/or a previously banned member who's spouted the same bullshit before. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, it's how you go about expressing that opinion that counts.

As for how Zeppelin were always improvising, Plant is doing the same thing. One person's "watered down" is another's "rearrangement". I like Plant's rearrangements myself, same for what he and Page brought to the table for Unledded. What Plant has been doing is expanding upon what Led Zeppelin themselves did for years.

One can be a fan of Led Zeppelin without being a fan of Plant, Page or Jones' solo work but this seems more like the case of a troll and/or a previously banned member who's spouted the same bullshit before. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, it's how you go about expressing that opinion that counts.

As for how Zeppelin were always improvising, Plant is doing the same thing. One person's "watered down" is another's "rearrangement". I like Plant's rearrangements myself, same for what he and Page brought to the table for Unledded. What Plant has been doing is expanding upon what Led Zeppelin themselves did for years.

have to agree with all that, jahfin.

however, i MUCH prefer the zep versions. i really loved the unledded ones too, but am sorry to say i didn't care for the versions robert has done with both alison and boj.

just mho.

• 2 weeks later...

have to agree with all that, jahfin.

however, i MUCH prefer the zep versions. i really loved the unledded ones too, but am sorry to say i didn't care for the versions robert has done with both alison and boj.

just mho.

Yeah i think Band Of Joy is missing something that Unledded had that is crucial to led zeppelin...Other zeppelin members. Specifically jimmy page. There is something very mysterious about that man. I say this not because of his personality or anything like that...I say this because Jimmy Page, a rock n roll legend seems to know more about folk and traditional than actual folk artists. Its quite amazing to me. This is what made zeppelin III jive. To this day you can play led zeppelin 3 to any led fan and they know its one of their best efforts...and to this day you can play that album to any casual fan and they will go "thats led zeppelin?" Its funny you would never suspect that the same band that made classic rock staples like whole lotta Love and heartbreaker would ever attempt a song like gallows pole or Going To California. But thats exactly why it works isnt it. They weren't interested in making rock stations playlist ever. They just were interested in playing anything and everything that interested them. To this day you still get bands that limit their creativity just because they feel they have to create a certain sound to please their fan base.

Rather than seeing Page join the Band of Joy I'd be much more intrigued to see what he can do on his own. Plant and Jones haven't had any problem forging ahead into uncharted territory. The sooner Page gives up the Zep ghost the better off he'll be.

Rather than seeing Page join the Band of Joy I'd be much more intrigued to see what he can do on his own. Plant and Jones haven't had any problem forging ahead into uncharted territory. The sooner Page gives up the Zep ghost the better off he'll be.

Those guys would not be where they are today if not for Page. Page is the genius and the musician that comes around once every five hundred years or so. They owe him and if he wants them to play with him, they damned well should do it. Page rules!!!! For now and forever. He is the greatest musician to walk the planet ever.

Archived