Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
NobodysFaultButJimmys

Best Jimmy Page Impersonator EVER! - Jimmy Sakurai

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

MR. JIMMY Led Zeppelin Revival Show in Japan December 21st 2018 at EX Theater Roppongi Tokyo. Reviving the Last US tour of Led Zeppelin 1977 [Listen To This Eddie]. ---Filmed and edited by KIKUCHI Film Works

 

The best LZ tribute footage I've ever seen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Best impersonator bar none.

EVERYTHING is the same.

Best at his job in the world.

Sorry but I disagree.  It's like watching a bad drag queen. IMHO all he does is ape Led Zeppelin. He may resemble Jimmy but it's in appearance only. There is no feeling in his guitar playing that comes anywhere near to what Jimmy actually sounds like.  Somebody posted an audio cut of him jamming and tried to pass it off as an unheard jam by Zeppelin. As soon as I heard it I knew it wasn't Jimmy or Zeppelin in general, turns out it was this guy. Couple others got it too.  

If you want to listen to Guitarists who know Jimmy check out Blue Congo playing Dazed and Confused on his ACOUSTIC GUITAR! He plays it mostly from his slant but at the end, he adds a couple licks that you can hear Jimmy Play live and he plays them correctly and if you are as intimately familiar with Zeppelin's live repertoire as I am you will also feel it. He gets Jimmy.  Then head over to porgie's vids where he and his mates recreate Zeppelin's studio work. They are as close to Zeppelin as you can get without being them and I can feel it in my bones when I watch their vids. These guys are on another level when compared to sakurai.  He's all pride pomp and circumstance with nothing behind the veil.  TMSAISTI.:D

p.s. My opinion is based on 35 years of obsessive listening to Live Zeppelin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

Sorry but I disagree.  It's like watching a bad drag queen. IMHO all he does is ape Led Zeppelin. He may resemble Jimmy but it's in appearance only. There is no feeling in his guitar playing that comes anywhere near to what Jimmy actually sounds like.  Somebody posted an audio cut of him jamming and tried to pass it off as an unheard jam by Zeppelin. As soon as I heard it I knew it wasn't Jimmy or Zeppelin in general, turns out it was this guy. Couple others got it too.  

If you want to listen to Guitarists who know Jimmy check out Blue Congo playing Dazed and Confused on his ACOUSTIC GUITAR! He plays it mostly from his slant but at the end, he adds a couple licks that you can hear Jimmy Play live and he plays them correctly and if you are as intimately familiar with Zeppelin's live repertoire as I am you will also feel it. He gets Jimmy.  Then head over to porgie's vids where he and his mates recreate Zeppelin's studio work. They are as close to Zeppelin as you can get without being them and I can feel it in my bones when I watch their vids. These guys are on another level when compared to sakurai.  He's all pride pomp and circumstance with nothing behind the veil.  TMSAISTI.:D

p.s. My opinion is based on 35 years of obsessive listening to Live Zeppelin. 

I fooled die-hards blind testing them making them think Sakurai IS Page.

 

Sorry but you're wrong here..

 

Watch this and tell me he doesn't have everything COMPLETELY downpat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CONhsNGLvnY

The dude literally is Saturn's incarnation of Jimmy and we are borrowing him for a bit IMO.

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

I fooled die-hards blind testing them making them think Sakurai IS Page.

 

Sorry but you're wrong here..

 

Watch this and tell me he doesn't have everything COMPLETELY downpat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CONhsNGLvnY

The dude literally is Saturn's incarnation of Jimmy and we are borrowing him for a bit IMO.

read my post again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, hummingbird69 said:

It's like watching a bad drag queen.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The closest you’ll ever see to the real thing...come to the U.K. !

Edited by Paganini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimmy Page himself, was impressed when he flew over to see Jimmy Sakurai play in Japan years ago. Jimmy Sakurai pays tribute and concert video on YouTube proves he helps keep the music of Led Zeppelin’s live style and feel alive whether it be with JBLZE, Mr. Jimmy , etc.

R😎🎸👍

6B578A23-D780-4175-AAA9-26D9B6C75C20.jpeg

3256FAB5-A89D-4CC1-AE5E-99777AB1E1AF.jpeg

DAFDA3F5-8031-456C-B6B9-9A38F91A8A5F.jpeg

Edited by reids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 9:04 AM, SteveAJones said:

MR. JIMMY Led Zeppelin Revival Show in Japan December 21st 2018 at EX Theater Roppongi Tokyo. Reviving the Last US tour of Led Zeppelin 1977 [Listen To This Eddie]. ---Filmed and edited by KIKUCHI Film Works

"Comments are Disabled for the Video"...

1. The guitarist should have done more blow before the show.

2. I thought Jimmy's shades were rose-colored.

3. Nice touch having Tommy Chong sit in on drums. ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 2:47 PM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

I fooled die-hards blind testing them making them think Sakurai IS Page.

 

Sorry but you're wrong here..

 

Watch this and tell me he doesn't have everything COMPLETELY downpat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CONhsNGLvnY

The dude literally is Saturn's incarnation of Jimmy and we are borrowing him for a bit IMO.

Absolutely agree with you on this- Sakurai is phenomenally good at not just the technical stuff but also the look and the moves. I would like to see him put the odd bum note in tho-just to be totally authentic 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anyone seen this yet ?

https://www.mrjimmymovie.com/

 

here’s a review from “The Hollywood Reporter”:

 

Peter Michael Dowd's beguiling documentary chronicles the good times and bad times of Japanese Jimmy Page impersonator Akio Sakurai.

It's not quite right to call Akio Sakurai an impersonator. "Inhabiter" is more apt. And as shown in Peter Michael Dowd's documentary Mr. Jimmy, which takes its title from Sakurai's onstage moniker, he's certainly worked hard to get to that point. Since the age of 19, Sakurai has been obsessed with Led Zeppelin, particularly the rock group's virtuoso guitarist, Jimmy Page. His passion is all-consuming, to a point that would shame, and perhaps alarm, even the most self-styled fanboy.

Think there's only one way to play "Stairway to Heaven"? Think again. Sakurai can perform distinct note-for-note "live" versions from any era of Zeppelin you'd care to name. But it's not just the music: Sakurai is also a student of Page's very essence — how he dressed, how he moved, the instruments (down to their discrete mechanical components) that he used to conjure his particular magic. For 30 years, Sakurai, the son of a kimono maker, performed in Tokyo clubs to small, appreciative audiences. Then in 2012, Page himself came to a Mr. Jimmy show and the confluence of icon and emulator (archive footage included in the doc reveals that Page was visibly ecstatic at this tribute) reoriented Sakurai's career path.

Dowd just happened to discover Sakurai in the early days of his move from Japan to Los Angeles, where he aims to perform the Zeppelin catalog full-time. A good chunk of the film follows Sakurai's work with the tribute band Led Zepagain, the members of which often appear bemused by their bandmate's dedication. There's a fair share of tension underlying their bafflement, much of it cultural. Several times Sakurai talks about the Japanese resolve to do one thing extremely well — a steadfast combination of competitiveness and devotion that's alien to many American sensibilities. Whenever he gently but firmly schools Swan Montgomery, Zepagain's Robert Plant avatar, in the minutiae of lyric pronunciation, you can sense awe and irritation battling for emotional primacy.

Montgomery ultimately lands on the side of perceived audience expectation. Led Zeppelin was Led Zeppelin and thus could indulge performative flights of fancy like 20-minute-plus Page guitar solos (which you better believe Sakurai can mirror near-perfectly). Should a tribute band, even a great one, have a similar privilege? Since at best Led Zepagain is still a carbon copy of the original, isn't it better, and more lucrative, to do covers of the hits in digestible chunks?

It isn't fair to say that Sakurai's goal is indulgence. So what is it, exactly? Certainly his work goes well beyond imitation, staking claim in the uncanniest of valleys. In one sequence, Dowd dissolves between both Sakurai and a younger Page thrashing onstage, and they blend so seamlessly that you often forget you're not always watching the real thing. When you can see the seams, Sakurai's exertions come off as nostalgic kitsch. But when he fully "gets" Page, it's something else — a channeling, of sorts, of an intoxicating moment that's been lost to time.

Sakurai's aim, then, is to shake off the self and transform, even if only for a sublime split second, into someone else from somewhere else — dolator mutated gloriously into bygone idol. There's certainly pleasure in that, though the degree to which this is a truly worthwhile pursuit will vary between viewer. Even Dowd seems torn, at times, as to whether he's celebrating his subject's rigor or exposing it as a fannish fraud. (The film's intentionally truncated last scene, especially, suggests several overall readings, some pro, some con.) It's nonetheless the very slipperiness of Sakurai's passion — to humbly become the god he worships — that continually compels.

Cast: Akio Sakurai, Rie Nakahara, Kiyomi Osawa, Junko Sakurai, Shinji Kishimoto, Atsushi Iwasaki, Naoki Washida, Makoto Fukano, Kiyo Yokoseki, Hiroshi Kokai
Director-producer-editor: Peter Michael Dowd
Executive producer: Paula Dowd
Cinematographers: Matthew Blute, Ivan Kovac
Sound designer: Jeffrey Jousan
Additional sound recording: Elizabeth Aubert, Gabe Stewart
Aerial cinematography: Jesse Brunt
Assistant editors: Yukari Kamiya, Ami Shimada
Additional cinematography: Spencer Byam-Taylor, Michael Parry, Patrick Stringer
Colorist: Harris Charalambous
Music supervisor: Brooke Wentz
Publicity contact: David Magdael
Venue: SXSW Film Festival (24 Beats Per Second)

110 minutes

 

 

Edited by Paganini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah he truly got it down to every move, not to mention tour! But with such an original guitarists and author as Page is sure there are going to be naysayers,

even when someone is that good, plus I'm quite sure he can't be that good if he isn't sober and clean hehe, while Page still could be

Edited by SamoKodela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of it is on YouTube in an early form (3 segments). Great stuff!!!

R😎🎸👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×