Best Jimmy Page Impersonator EVER! - Jimmy Sakurai

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

MR. JIMMY Led Zeppelin Revival Show in Japan December 21st 2018 at EX Theater Roppongi Tokyo. Reviving the Last US tour of Led Zeppelin 1977 [Listen To This Eddie]. ---Filmed and edited by KIKUCHI Film Works

The best LZ tribute footage I've ever seen!

2 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Best impersonator bar none.

EVERYTHING is the same.

Best at his job in the world.

Sorry but I disagree.  It's like watching a bad drag queen. IMHO all he does is ape Led Zeppelin. He may resemble Jimmy but it's in appearance only. There is no feeling in his guitar playing that comes anywhere near to what Jimmy actually sounds like.  Somebody posted an audio cut of him jamming and tried to pass it off as an unheard jam by Zeppelin. As soon as I heard it I knew it wasn't Jimmy or Zeppelin in general, turns out it was this guy. Couple others got it too.  

If you want to listen to Guitarists who know Jimmy check out Blue Congo playing Dazed and Confused on his ACOUSTIC GUITAR! He plays it mostly from his slant but at the end, he adds a couple licks that you can hear Jimmy Play live and he plays them correctly and if you are as intimately familiar with Zeppelin's live repertoire as I am you will also feel it. He gets Jimmy.  Then head over to porgie's vids where he and his mates recreate Zeppelin's studio work. They are as close to Zeppelin as you can get without being them and I can feel it in my bones when I watch their vids. These guys are on another level when compared to sakurai.  He's all pride pomp and circumstance with nothing behind the veil.  TMSAISTI.:D

p.s. My opinion is based on 35 years of obsessive listening to Live Zeppelin. 

3 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

Sorry but I disagree.  It's like watching a bad drag queen. IMHO all he does is ape Led Zeppelin. He may resemble Jimmy but it's in appearance only. There is no feeling in his guitar playing that comes anywhere near to what Jimmy actually sounds like.  Somebody posted an audio cut of him jamming and tried to pass it off as an unheard jam by Zeppelin. As soon as I heard it I knew it wasn't Jimmy or Zeppelin in general, turns out it was this guy. Couple others got it too.  

If you want to listen to Guitarists who know Jimmy check out Blue Congo playing Dazed and Confused on his ACOUSTIC GUITAR! He plays it mostly from his slant but at the end, he adds a couple licks that you can hear Jimmy Play live and he plays them correctly and if you are as intimately familiar with Zeppelin's live repertoire as I am you will also feel it. He gets Jimmy.  Then head over to porgie's vids where he and his mates recreate Zeppelin's studio work. They are as close to Zeppelin as you can get without being them and I can feel it in my bones when I watch their vids. These guys are on another level when compared to sakurai.  He's all pride pomp and circumstance with nothing behind the veil.  TMSAISTI.:D

p.s. My opinion is based on 35 years of obsessive listening to Live Zeppelin. 

I fooled die-hards blind testing them making them think Sakurai IS Page.

Sorry but you're wrong here..

Watch this and tell me he doesn't have everything COMPLETELY downpat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CONhsNGLvnY

The dude literally is Saturn's incarnation of Jimmy and we are borrowing him for a bit IMO.

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

1 hour ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

The dude literally is Saturn's incarnation of Jimmy and we are borrowing him for a bit IMO.

read my post again.  

Jimmy Page himself, was impressed when he flew over to see Jimmy Sakurai play in Japan years ago. Jimmy Sakurai pays tribute and concert video on YouTube proves he helps keep the music of Led Zeppelin’s live style and feel alive whether it be with JBLZE, Mr. Jimmy , etc.

R😎🎸👍

6B578A23-D780-4175-AAA9-26D9B6C75C20.jpeg

3256FAB5-A89D-4CC1-AE5E-99777AB1E1AF.jpeg

DAFDA3F5-8031-456C-B6B9-9A38F91A8A5F.jpeg

Edited by reids

On 12/29/2018 at 9:04 AM, SteveAJones said:

MR. JIMMY Led Zeppelin Revival Show in Japan December 21st 2018 at EX Theater Roppongi Tokyo. Reviving the Last US tour of Led Zeppelin 1977 [Listen To This Eddie]. ---Filmed and edited by KIKUCHI Film Works

"Comments are Disabled for the Video"...

1. The guitarist should have done more blow before the show.

2. I thought Jimmy's shades were rose-colored.

3. Nice touch having Tommy Chong sit in on drums. ☺️

On 1/4/2019 at 2:47 PM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Absolutely agree with you on this- Sakurai is phenomenally good at not just the technical stuff but also the look and the moves. I would like to see him put the odd bum note in tho-just to be totally authentic 😉 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone seen this yet ?

https://www.mrjimmymovie.com/

here’s a review from “The Hollywood Reporter”:

Peter Michael Dowd's beguiling documentary chronicles the good times and bad times of Japanese Jimmy Page impersonator Akio Sakurai.

It's not quite right to call Akio Sakurai an impersonator. "Inhabiter" is more apt. And as shown in Peter Michael Dowd's documentary Mr. Jimmy, which takes its title from Sakurai's onstage moniker, he's certainly worked hard to get to that point. Since the age of 19, Sakurai has been obsessed with Led Zeppelin, particularly the rock group's virtuoso guitarist, Jimmy Page. His passion is all-consuming, to a point that would shame, and perhaps alarm, even the most self-styled fanboy.

Think there's only one way to play "Stairway to Heaven"? Think again. Sakurai can perform distinct note-for-note "live" versions from any era of Zeppelin you'd care to name. But it's not just the music: Sakurai is also a student of Page's very essence — how he dressed, how he moved, the instruments (down to their discrete mechanical components) that he used to conjure his particular magic. For 30 years, Sakurai, the son of a kimono maker, performed in Tokyo clubs to small, appreciative audiences. Then in 2012, Page himself came to a Mr. Jimmy show and the confluence of icon and emulator (archive footage included in the doc reveals that Page was visibly ecstatic at this tribute) reoriented Sakurai's career path.

Dowd just happened to discover Sakurai in the early days of his move from Japan to Los Angeles, where he aims to perform the Zeppelin catalog full-time. A good chunk of the film follows Sakurai's work with the tribute band Led Zepagain, the members of which often appear bemused by their bandmate's dedication. There's a fair share of tension underlying their bafflement, much of it cultural. Several times Sakurai talks about the Japanese resolve to do one thing extremely well — a steadfast combination of competitiveness and devotion that's alien to many American sensibilities. Whenever he gently but firmly schools Swan Montgomery, Zepagain's Robert Plant avatar, in the minutiae of lyric pronunciation, you can sense awe and irritation battling for emotional primacy.

Montgomery ultimately lands on the side of perceived audience expectation. Led Zeppelin was Led Zeppelin and thus could indulge performative flights of fancy like 20-minute-plus Page guitar solos (which you better believe Sakurai can mirror near-perfectly). Should a tribute band, even a great one, have a similar privilege? Since at best Led Zepagain is still a carbon copy of the original, isn't it better, and more lucrative, to do covers of the hits in digestible chunks?

It isn't fair to say that Sakurai's goal is indulgence. So what is it, exactly? Certainly his work goes well beyond imitation, staking claim in the uncanniest of valleys. In one sequence, Dowd dissolves between both Sakurai and a younger Page thrashing onstage, and they blend so seamlessly that you often forget you're not always watching the real thing. When you can see the seams, Sakurai's exertions come off as nostalgic kitsch. But when he fully "gets" Page, it's something else — a channeling, of sorts, of an intoxicating moment that's been lost to time.

Sakurai's aim, then, is to shake off the self and transform, even if only for a sublime split second, into someone else from somewhere else — dolator mutated gloriously into bygone idol. There's certainly pleasure in that, though the degree to which this is a truly worthwhile pursuit will vary between viewer. Even Dowd seems torn, at times, as to whether he's celebrating his subject's rigor or exposing it as a fannish fraud. (The film's intentionally truncated last scene, especially, suggests several overall readings, some pro, some con.) It's nonetheless the very slipperiness of Sakurai's passion — to humbly become the god he worships — that continually compels.

Cast: Akio Sakurai, Rie Nakahara, Kiyomi Osawa, Junko Sakurai, Shinji Kishimoto, Atsushi Iwasaki, Naoki Washida, Makoto Fukano, Kiyo Yokoseki, Hiroshi Kokai
Director-producer-editor: Peter Michael Dowd
Executive producer: Paula Dowd
Cinematographers: Matthew Blute, Ivan Kovac
Sound designer: Jeffrey Jousan
Additional sound recording: Elizabeth Aubert, Gabe Stewart
Aerial cinematography: Jesse Brunt
Assistant editors: Yukari Kamiya, Ami Shimada
Additional cinematography: Spencer Byam-Taylor, Michael Parry, Patrick Stringer
Colorist: Harris Charalambous
Music supervisor: Brooke Wentz
Publicity contact: David Magdael
Venue: SXSW Film Festival (24 Beats Per Second)

110 minutes

Edited by Paganini

Yeah he truly got it down to every move, not to mention tour! But with such an original guitarists and author as Page is sure there are going to be naysayers,

even when someone is that good, plus I'm quite sure he can't be that good if he isn't sober and clean hehe, while Page still could be

Edited by SamoKodela

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Sakurai looks just like Page from a distance, but he lacks Page’s cherubic, angelic good looks up close..that, he will never be able to replicate, but it’s at least 50% of Page’s charm..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...