Lemmy On Hip-Hop

zepps_apprentice

http://www.ultimate-..._not_music.html

Never one to mince his words, Motörhead front man Lemmy Kilmister recently shared his views on the state of modern music with Atlantic City Weekly. When asked to express his thoughts on hip hop, the metal legend had the following to say:

"Why should I do that when it's not music... There's nothing creative about doing that [rapping] over music someone else created. They go out and take John Bonham's drumming. I don't call that music. You think they [rappers] could come up with sounds of their own, even some basic sounds and they can't do it. Sad."

In the interview, Lemmy also expresses his grievance with the boring, clean living attitude of some of today's pop stalwarts:

"It kills me how bland this period is... You go backstage these days and you see 20 bottles of Perrier and a bag of nuts. What's wrong with this fucking picture? Everything is so healthy today and it's terrible. I don't get it... What the fuck is it about John Mayer?... Someone should explain him to me. And the same goes for Justin Bieber. They're all such boring people. They're so fucking serious. I'm not interested in people as boring as that. It's a shame these people are popular entertainers."

Motörhead's twentieth studio album The Wörld Is Yours was released on CD and LP on January 17th. The band has recently completed a US tour in support of the disc. The Rockumentary Lemmy, a retrospective on the front man's career, was released on DVD on January 25th, and features interviews with artists including Ozzy Osbourne, Dave Grohl and Metallica.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Even though I don't like Motorhead, this interview is spot on.

I totally agree with him. I also would like to know what is the appeal of John Mayer- I mean come on Eric Clapton invites that doosh bag to all his crossroads festivals- that guy is not blues- just because he makes faces while trying to solo :hysterical:

and as far as hip hop etc I say rap=crap

doesn't take talent to cuss and rhyme over a computer and drum machine.

I totally agree with him. I also would like to know what is the appeal of John Mayer- I mean come on Eric Clapton invites that doosh bag to all his crossroads festivals- that guy is not blues- just because he makes faces while trying to solo :hysterical:

and as far as hip hop etc I say rap=crap

doesn't take talent to cuss and rhyme over a computer and drum machine.

I completely agree with you on the John Mayer thing, he is as lame as it gets. But I really disagree with your opinion of rap, just like a lot of genres, theres the good and the bad.

I respect Lemmy, but I don't agree with a lot of his opinions.

It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back by Public Enemy is one of my favourite albums.

And, here's Motörhead with Ice-T!

"Why should I do that when it's not music... There's nothing creative about doing that [rapping] over music someone else created. They go out and take John Bonham's drumming. I don't call that music. You think they [rappers] could come up with sounds of their own, even some basic sounds and they can't do it. Sad."

Some of them can, Lemmy, but like many others you don't bother to do any research and mouth off about something you frankly know bugger all about.

There's actually a difference between rap and hip-hop; although I don't know that I could explain it. :unsure: I see hip-hop as more dance oriented and rap as more of a statement, although that's strictly my opinion.

I don't deliberately listen to rap because I find alot of it offensive (my son likes Eminem and I can take him in small doses), but I listen to quite a lot of hip-hop through my daughters who are hip hop dancers. Although I don't personally *like* rap, I do respect the genre as a way for artists to express themselves.

I would say like any other genre, it comes down to personal preference. On a personal preference scale, I'd rank rap higher than death metal (or whatever it's called) because I see more musicality/creativity there, and a lot of the successful rap artists are brilliant entrepreneurs and producers too. Again, just my opinion.

FWIW, there are exactly 2 John Mayer songs that I like (his version of "Free Falling", and the song about daughters).

Lemmy's problem is his acknowledging the shitty rap that is on the radio. They use one sample and it's mediocre.

Good rap artists (mostly the groups) use a collage of samples and manage to create something new. On Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet" (one of my all time favorite albums) there are over 120 samples on 15 out of 20 tracks to create these sonic murals over the raping. It's infinitely, better than the sampling the Beastie Boys used on the overrated "Licensed to Ill", where it was a drum beat and a guitar riff. And even then, Beastie Boys next album "Paul's Boutique" uses over 100 samples.

Also, there are some rap bands, like The Roots, that use a full band and create their own beats. And they're had horn sections and current feature a sousaphone player (which makes for some awesome bass). How many rock bands can say that?! Same for the Beastie Boys as well. They all play instruments (they started off as a punk rock band) and my personal favorite album "Check Your Head", features them playing their own instruments on many of the tracks, seasoned with a few samples as well.

I'll use the Beastie Boys as a prime example. You can hear the difference between crappy sampling, dynamic sampling and playing their own instruments.

Crappy Sampling (The stuff Lemmy is complaining about)

Dynamic Sampling (Wouldn't be terribly out of place on the Beatles' "Love" album)

Playing Their Own Instruments (With a few samples thrown in)

There are times that rap reminds me of the earlier rhythm and blues. Maybe there's an overlap between genres, which could explain why rap has that effect on me.

There is some bluesy rap songs. But my personal opinion is rap evolved out of mixing black, urban street poetry and... Disco.

Rapper's Delight is considered one of the first rap songs. The beat is very Disco oriented.

There is some bluesy rap songs. But my personal opinion is rap evolved out of mixing black, urban street poetry and... Disco.

Rapper's Delight is considered one of the first rap songs. The beat is very Disco oriented.

Rapper's Delight was released in January, 1979. You're right about the disco element, because it was based on Good Times by Chic, a disco tune.

Then Rapture by Blondie was released in January, 1981.

How very un PC of Lemmy to actually speak his mind and give his honest opinion about something. Tsk tsk Lemmy, that'll never do. Have your people call me people for instructions about this. If you're a white rock musician you either have to:

1. Say nothing if you don't like hip hop and think it's not legitimate. Or change the subject when asked.

2. Say something about poetry and how it's the cutting edge of "musical and social expression". People will then praise you for being open minded and progressive.

3. Try to incorporate hip hop into your own music. People won't like it but they'll all say you're just trying to adapt to modern culture and give you props anyway. You'll also be a nice guy by doing this.

The name of this instuctional manual is "How To Survive as a Musician in a Morally Bankrupt Junk Culture".

Lemmy, I just posted this for your own good. Really!

http://www.ultimate-..._not_music.html

Never one to mince his words, Motörhead front man Lemmy Kilmister recently shared his views on the state of modern music with Atlantic City Weekly. When asked to express his thoughts on hip hop, the metal legend had the following to say:

How very closed minded.

In the interview, Lemmy also expresses his grievance with the boring, clean living attitude of some of today's pop stalwarts:

"It kills me how bland this period is... You go backstage these days and you see 20 bottles of Perrier and a bag of nuts. What's wrong with this fucking picture? Everything is so healthy today and it's terrible. I don't get it... What the fuck is it about John Mayer?... Someone should explain him to me. And the same goes for Justin Bieber. They're all such boring people. They're so fucking serious. I'm not interested in people as boring as that. It's a shame these people are popular entertainers."

How horrible, musicians have learned from the past and are trying to take better care of themselves so maybe they can stick around a little longer. Funny too, that he cites pop stars like Mayer and Bieber when there's still plenty of decadence in rock n' roll (look no further than Scott Wieland). Apparently there's some in the pop world too as every report I read about the Grammys mentioned how fucked up John Mayer was.

Bieber is 17 years old this year. What is the point of being mindlessly decadent? So he can hang out in rehab with the misery loves company bunch? Maybe he's got other things to do. It's his life. He should do what he wants. Bieber is enjoying a lot of success right now doing his own thing and has a great attitude towards everyone. He seems to be coping well with fame and its challenges. Why would he want to fix what isn't broken just to impress the guy from Motorhead? Sorry if Bieber is not Lemmy's cup of tea, but Bieber has plenty of fans to keep him busy as it is.

If I based my affection for a particular artist based on their politics/opinions/whatever, I wouldn't have much to listen to.

I'm a 50 year old conservative, yet I like a lot of rap and hiphop.

In fact, there's probably a lot more rap and hiphop I like than there is country I like.

I like artists from current hiphop and rap artists that hammered Bush during Obama's Inauguration (which I thought was in horribly poor taste), to artists like Ted Nugent, and artists like Rage Against The Machine.

But in general, I ignore politics/opinions in my judgment of music I enjoy.

I think Lemmy is being pretty close-minded, but I still like his music.

Anytime I hear the description of rap as just sampling other songs, or rap=crap, I know it's someone with a very close-minded perspective, because the whole Ice, Ice Baby period of rap is long past.

It still pops up, but for the most part, developing "beats" of their own has been more the norm for rap and hiphop pretty much since The Chronic.

And the whole "they don't get fucked out of the heads on drugs and alcohol like us old-school dinosaurs" is a pretty idiotic position, and I used to trip and get high as hard as any, and more than most.

It was fun, but Ozzy is a pretty persuasive argument against Lemmy's comment.

I hate it when people totally dismiss rap because of the stuff they hear on the radio, see on TV or whatever. And to the people saying that it is just talking over someone elses music, you could say the same about certain zeppelin tracks couldn't you? They ripped a few songs almost word for word, they're my favourite band but I'm not delusional. Check these tracks out, awesome stuff:

Check out the shirt:

^^ Not really sure if World Destruction is true rap, but it seems that most rap songs are focused on social issues; either macro, like World Destruction, or micro (what's going on in the artists' life/immediate surroundings). And as in World Destruction's case, they make it danceable :)

^^ Not really sure if World Destruction is true rap, but it seems that most rap songs are focused on social issues; either macro, like World Destruction, or micro (what's going on in the artists' life/immediate surroundings). And as in World Destruction's case, they make it danceable :)

It was a side project of Afrika Bambaataa's called Time Zone. I've heard them described as experimental hip-hop and Bambaataa worked with a different musician for each project.

I listened to another track by Time Zone and it's completely different, more reggae oriented.

If I had read Lemmy's comments on hip-hop about 3 or 4 months ago, I would have agreed 100%!

Yes, I admit it. I was unfortunately one of those people out there, who had a very narrow-minded view about rap and hip-hop. To me, the two genres were nothing but utter nonsense! I thought it was pretty pointless to be honest! The mainstream rap and hip-hop music scene is to blame. I was sick and tired of literally being forced to watch rap and hip hop videos from mainstream artists while randomly flipping T.V channels, day in and day out! Besides, with artists like Kanye West around, what was I supposed to think? I did sound like one of those individuals who thought Rock and Roll is dead just because of mainstream bands like "The Kings Of Leon" dry.gif I wasn't even prepared to reverse my views on rap and hip-hop! I was pretty sure nothing anyone could say or do could convinince me that there is actually good rap and hip-hop music out there apart from the mass produced shit constantly played on the radio!

Thankfully, I was fuckin' dead wrong!

My mentality towards the rap and hip-hop genre changed for the better while I was on holiday. One day in December, right after dinner, my mom called me to the living room to watch a movie with her called "Beat Street". She is pretty fascinated with the rap and hip-hop genre because she feels that there are quite a few songs out there with deep meaning and a sort of social message! "Beat Street" is bascially a movie from the 1980s where the rap and hip-hop genres were actually depicted as a movement which was used mostly by African American teenagers and young adults, hailing from poor neighbourhoods in areas like the Bronx, to uplift themselves! It wasn't just music, it was art! I found the music from that movie to be very foot tapping and relaxing and so freakin catchy! Some of the tunes were echoing in my head for days! :D I also found the lyrics of certain songs to be not only creative but catchy! It did contain some cheesy 80s style clothing but that's beside the point! :P

So, those of you who think that rap is crap with a C, well, I have to say that I was just like you guys at one time but my perceptions changed for the better thanks to the movie "Beat Street". I highly recommend that film to anyone (irrespective of whether they like rap or hip-hop). To me that move is a classic and a must see! B) I think even dear old Lemmy should check out that movie! :lol:

Here's the poster :

Beatstreetposter.jpg

Cool stuff IMHO! B)

Check out this little breakdance performance from the movie! Cool huh? :lol:

This to me is hip-hop culture at it's fuckin finest! B)

And here is a rap song by an artist who is from my country of origin (it carries a really cool social message! I agree with everything he says! B))

And here is a cool rock song with pretty deep meaning which makes use of rap! It's by "Linkin Park". Yeah, I love Linkin Park! :D

Also, due to my fascination with hip-hop culture, I have even begun taking photos of interesting little works of graffiti art, I manage to find around the city, which to me, are genuinely good and not just out to destroy city property! I found these on what might have been a dull wall of concrete, just behind a parking lot!

Graffiti.jpg

Graffiti1.jpg

Pretty interesting stuff, if you ask me! B)

Pretty interesting stuff, if you ask me! B)

That's pretty awesome, Kiwi!

Nothing like gaining new perspective - it's amazing what's out there if we allow ourselves to consider it.

Archived